• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Jubbly

I love the game, but I do dislike:

-Vehicles are nearly useless.

Also, am I crazy, or were snipers WAY WAY more viable in T2? I haven't seen any real amounts of Sentinel play in Ascend, and the base rifle does pretty shit amounts of damage for a weapon that's so slow and has to hit a tiny-ass target moving at 150kmh+. Is the classic energy rifle better, or are snipers as a whole mostly worthless if you're not insanely good at sniping?

Vehicles are in no way useless. Bike = flag capture and chasing. Tank = flag defense and long-range base attacking. Shrike = murdering flag cappers.

Snipers are also very powerful as Pathfinders typically have half health or less after grabbing the flag. Couple of shots and you're dead, and the flag's down. Watch some competitive matches on YT - snipers are the hard counter to Pathfinders.

-The incredibly slow XP gain if you're playing purely free.
-The traditional Tribes problem of landing on a team that purely attacks/purely defends.

Also, am I crazy, or were snipers WAY WAY more viable in T2? I haven't seen any real amounts of Sentinel play in Ascend, and the base rifle does pretty shit amounts of damage for a weapon that's so slow and has to hit a tiny-ass target moving at 150kmh+. Is the classic energy rifle better, or are snipers as a whole mostly worthless if you're not insanely good at sniping?

Vehicles can easily change the tide of battle... when those tanks are on defense.. holy hell!

Anyway, I've been hearing a lot about what the devs are working on.. but it's all from other people and not from teh goats mouth itself! So does anyone know where to find these things? Found nothing on Google.

I've heard that ranked matches, VOIP, and server browser amongst other things are going to be patched in... but whurrrs the proof?!

oh, and to those who responded about my comment on perks.. I will definitely actually look at them now :) anyone have recommendations for Raider?

I eat tanks for breakfast in this game. Even as a pathfinder. It's way too easy to take them out.

Anyway, just got done with my work tonight Pink, I work 8am so I'll play with you tomorrow.

Expect me to go Jugg or Path (depending on map).

Nymerio

So I tried out the Soldier yesterday and got myself the Spinfusor (Should have been the default weapon...) but I can't play for shit with the medium armor. I'm missing the speed and mobility of the pathfinder and I always seem to be a sitting duck for any pathfinder who comes around.

Guess I'll go back to pathfinder for now.

Sober

So I tried out the Soldier yesterday and got myself the Spinfusor (Should have been the default weapon...) but I can't play for shit with the medium armor. I'm missing the speed and mobility of the pathfinder and I always seem to be a sitting duck for any pathfinder who comes around.

Guess I'll go back to pathfinder for now.
For TDM I agree, I much prefer PTH for getting around. For CTF though, I prefer soldier only because I don't always feel like going for the flag, so I mostly play soldier and either defend or play the midfield a bit for fun.

Nymerio

Oh yeah, that's strictly TDM speaking of course. In CTF I generally pick either a light or medium class, whatever is currently better suited. I also prefer the pathfinder grenades because they explode on impact. Soldier grenades are currently completely luck based for me. Definitely need more practice as soldier.

Zeliard

Yeah, this is my new addiction. The hours just fly by.

I've only been messing with TDM just to get my bearings and learn the maps, and pretty much just the Soldier class with the basic loadout, since I haven't put any money in yet.

Seems like a solid class for duels. The Tribes wiki doesn't like the Thumper DX very much but I've found it quite effective. Once you're able to time it properly along with your jetpack hops, you can wreck people, and getting midair hits with it is particularly enjoyable. I'm also enjoying the assault rifle quite a bit, both as a finisher and just as a general damage-dealer. It's fun getting a bead on someone who's at a distance, especially when they're jetting away. :p

42k experience to grab the Spinfusor is gonna take a while, heh. I need to play around with the Pathfinder to get used to the Light Spinfusor.

I like that you can still be quite effective even with a starting class. Pretty obvious to see how the various upgrades would help, but even the basic free classes seem pretty adept.

Dynoro

This game runs terribly for me as well. It's constantly getting bad frame rate stutters and pauses while I'm moving my viewpoint around. Changing resolution and detail doesn't help.
This box can run anything like a champ usually.

This is on a 6850. I'm guessing all ATI cards have similar problems?

The game looks amazing though, coming from an old-school Tribes player. I want this thing to work right!

Just to chime in; but I'm running a 6850 in 1080p and it runs beautifully. I haven't noticed any framerate shutters so far (I'm only level 5 or 6 though).

Yeah, this is my new addiction. The hours just fly by. QUOTE]

Yes,this is how I feel. I downloaded last night after readingthrough this thread at the end of the day yesterday. I played for 3 hours! It really is a blast. I love the fast gameplay, and skiing is just awesome.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is there a list of user ID's to input somewhere. I desperately need GAF friends in this game.

Same SN as my Steam ID in my profile.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

I've only been messing with TDM just to get my bearings and learn the maps, and pretty much just the Soldier class with the basic loadout, since I haven't put any money in yet.

I encourage everyone to play CTF. The game really shines in that mode, because all classes play an important role.

-The incredibly slow XP gain if you're playing purely free.
-The traditional Tribes problem of landing on a team that purely attacks/purely defends.

A good shrike player can RUIN entire games. You never get him down and he will just kill all flag carriers. Tanks and bikes have their uses too. I guess you still play in the lower bracket where all newer players are placed. Once you start playing with the veterans, things look very different.

Snipers are still deadly for pathfinders, which is the only important prey :p

totally wide open question but...

Any Tribes1 veterans (aka hardcore players) playing this? Is it something that someone like me (who played T1 for 8+ years including some competitive time) will enjoy?

I dabbled around in the beta and actually kinda liked it... but if i'm gonna put time into it...

Zeliard

I encourage everyone to play CTF. The game really shines in that mode, because all classes play an important role.

Oh I definitely plan to. I just started playing last night so TDM is just to get a good feel for the speed of the game - especially skiing - and some of the timing with aiming weaps. Haven't played Tribes in over a decade, heh. My Tribes experience consists almost solely of the original, where I played quite a bit with some fellow Quake players and clanmates at the time. Fun times. It made for an interesting (and still fast-paced) contrast to Quakeworld.

I never did play much of Tribes 2, sadly, and never played Irrational's effort at all.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Any Tribes1 veterans (aka hardcore players) playing this? Is it something that someone like me (who played T1 for 8+ years including some competitive time) will enjoy?

I dabbled around in the beta and actually kinda liked it... but if i'm gonna put time into it...

Yes, absolutely. The inability to make custom classes definitely hurts, but they nailed everything else.

Sober

How does the matchmaking work? After rank 7, everyone is basically grouped up?
Yeah it feels like there are 1-6 and then 7+ brackets and that's it. Kinda disheartening because some people have played the entire time through the beta and can just wreck you at a moment's notice sometimes.

Zeliard

Yeah it feels like there are 1-6 and then 7+ brackets and that's it. Kinda disheartening because some people have played the entire time through the beta and can just wreck you at a moment's notice sometimes.

Hehe that should be pretty interesting :p

I imagine more Sentinels will be one major difference, since I haven't seen too many snipers in the lower ranks. Gallivanting around the map and flying through the air with no concern will probably become a bit rougher!

Now I'm pretty sad

Looks like I won't be able to really ever buy anything. US military living in Germany but it still defaults to EURO and can't find out how to change it back to USD.
Steam doesn't have this problem and maybe HiRez will implement a system to support it at some point, but yeah, guess i'm stuck playing exclusively F2P =/

Nymerio

Just buy whatever package that gives you the most things. If that's not enough buy another one. This sounds more like you don't want to spend any money on it, which is fine but slamming the game because it does not have a full price option is kinda weird. It's not like you'll sit on your excess gold indefinitely, there's definitely new content coming where you could spend it.

Jubbly

Thats not my point. I'm missing an option to buy basically a fullprice (like, 50$) package and have unlocked everything now and later.

If you buy Battlefield 3 you don't get all the weapons unlocked. You have to play to gain access to them, and then play to unlock all the attachments for each.

A Tribes 'buy' package would still require you to gain XP to upgrade each weapon, perk, deployable, etc.

Just buy whatever package that gives you the most things. If that's not enough buy another one. This sounds more like you don't want to spend any money on it, which is fine but slamming the game because it does not have a full price option is kinda weird. It's not like you'll sit on your excess gold indefinitely, there's definitely new content coming where you could spend it.

This is basically why I hate F2P games, I don't want to endorse that pay structure, and then have to pay for more and more and more.

I personally would MUCH rather the game just release at like $40 and have everything unlocked, like FPS of old.

I also hate unlockable shit in games, it was fun at first(COD 4), now I am absolutely fucking sick of it.

Jasoneyu

Seems like a solid class for duels. The Tribes wiki doesn't like the Thumper DX very much but I've found it quite effective. Once you're able to time it properly along with your jetpack hops, you can wreck people, and getting midair hits with it is particularly enjoyable. I'm also enjoying the assault rifle quite a bit, both as a finisher and just as a general damage-dealer. It's fun getting a bead on someone who's at a distance, especially when they're jetting away. :p

42k experience to grab the Spinfusor is gonna take a while, heh. I need to play around with the Pathfinder to get used to the Light Spinfusor.

I like that you can still be quite effective even with a starting class. Pretty obvious to see how the various upgrades would help, but even the basic free classes seem pretty adept.

mmorpg has a giveaway for a medium spinfusor key, you just need to sign up for an account there:

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/330/Tribes-Ascend-Spinfusor-Gift-Keys.html

Zeliard

mmorpg has a giveaway for a medium spinfusor key, you just need to sign up for an account there:

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/330/Tribes-Ascend-Spinfusor-Gift-Keys.html

Oh nice, thanks for the heads up.

Suddenly I feel like I'm faced with a tough decision, lol. I've grown quite fond of the assault rifle, though maybe that's just because of the lower ranks, where there are a lot of easy targets.

And I think I might go for the $30 package. 3000 gold + 30-day XP booster seems like that'd be enough to unlock a lot of it. The XP boost (via both the booster and Tribes VIP) to unlock classes and upgrades and then the gold to unlock a few of those weapons.

Gonna snag that free 250 gold from Facebook as well. Facebook's like feature can be useful for some things.

I played T1 for 2 years, and T2 for about 5 (I can't play either game worth shit now =/.)

I don't really "enjoy" Tribes Ascend, but it's enough for me. After coming off those two games, after so much polishing, you play T:A and it seems like an unbalanced mess that has completely changed what Tribes is supposed to be.

I say give it a try anyway. It's free...

Des0lar

will learn eventually

There is this one Gaffer, damn I just forgot his name, he's a veteran pro player and he loves it. Give it a try. It's different of course, but according to him HiRez is doing the right thing.

Zeliard

I played T1 for 2 years, and T2 for about 5 (I can't play either game worth shit now =/.)

I don't really "enjoy" Tribes Ascend, but it's enough for me. After coming off those two games, after so much polishing, you play T:A and it seems like an unbalanced mess that has completely changed what Tribes is supposed to be.

I say give it a try anyway. It's free...

What are your beefs with it? Curious what the major gripes are from people who have been playing it for a minute.

What are your beefs with it? Curious what the major gripes are from people who have been playing it for a minute.

....let me try to find a post I've made before so I don't have to retype it.

EDIT:

-F2P structure completely destroys one of the main appeals of the Tribes franchise. Customizable loadouts. As in the ability to AT ANY TIME provide a class that your team needs.
-Current set up for classes forces you to stick with a class. You can't switch to Tech, drop turrets, then switch to another class. People say this would cause overpowered and spamming of deployables, but if radius for turrets deployed increase a long with a hard limit on a map would overcome this problem, just like the older tribes games. I play Tech sometimes as often people don't play tech, so I repair everything throw turrets down, then there is just nothing to do. I CAN be offensive, but then I am no longer at my base watching stuff that needs to be repaired, like a Tech should be doing.
-Regenerating health creates base camping issues.
-Spawning in loadout creates a lack of dependency of generators.
-The shitty "naked spawn" implementation option creates an issue of where IF you are getting base raped (due to enemies with regenerating health, you end up with a trash load out that can't compete with those inside your base. In Tribes 1 and 2 you at least had the option of deploying inventory stations outside the map (as in beyond the boundaries... T:A has hard set boundaries) not only that but the Blaster was a laser pulse gun that ricocheted off of walls, allowing you to easily clear out a room without throwing yourself inside the room putting yourself at risk.
-Chaingun "sniping" and "whoring" was a problem in the older games. So what do they do for Tribes Ascend? They add semi automatic weapons for every class that shoot faster and more accurately than the chainguns in the previous games did.
-Physics, last I checked last week, there was a 90+ page thread (one of MANY threads) about how shitty the physics is in this game and how fundamentally wrong and broken it is. Some of the factors that ruin the game is the lack of vector thrusting. You get a linear "turning" variable, and no matter HOW much boost you put into turning right in the air, you get a linear value, resulting in less mobility, resulting in heavy classes being even more of a bullet sponge than they already are.

I can go all day.

EDIT: Here is the one of many great posts/threads about why Tribes Ascend physics aren't only bad, but wrong (i know that's a big assertion).
http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=60180&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=476

Zeliard

Ah, interesting. How have they been about responding to things so far?

And yeah I thought the health regen was a bit weird in my limited playtime so far. I end up just chasing people down for the kill so they can't run off and regen their health or hit an inventory station, especially those dirty juggernauts. :p I can see how it might become an annoyance in CTF. Probably also makes capping in general easier since cappers can time explosive jumps with health regen.

Nymerio

Well F2P certainly has its drawbacks but I actually prefer it for this kind of game.

The F2P aspect makes it far more appealing to the general public. I know a few people who actually play it that would never have spent money on the game because at 40-50€ it would simply be too much for the amount of time they'd be able to invest.

I don't think I would play it even though I fondly remember Tribes 2 because I don't know enough people from my circle of friends who would invest any money in it. But getting the game for free? That's a completely different story. This way I can say exactly how much money I'm willing to spend. People make it sound like it's an endless money sink when this is actually a game where you CAN vote with your money.

I'm certainly not going to spend another 60€ on a new COD where I'll play through the single player once and get bored with the multiplayer after a week. Maybe people have money to throw around like that. I do not.

Ah, interesting. How have they been about responding to things so far?

And yeah I thought the health regen was a bit weird in my limited playtime so far. I end up just chasing people down for the kill so they can't run off and regen their health or hit an inventory station, especially those dirty juggernauts. :p I can see how it might become an annoyance in CTF. Probably also makes capping in general easier since cappers can time explosive jumps with health regen.

They generally don't respond... The physics complaints have existed since Alpha testing. Like I said... I still play the game because it's Tribes enough, and it's not a 10 year old game.

Anyway, I'll be playing in an hour.

Phosphor112.

They generally don't respond... The physics complaints have existed since Alpha testing. Like I said... I still play the game because it's Tribes enough, and it's not a 10 year old game.

Anyway, I'll be playing in an hour.

Phosphor112.

awesome, it's time to get GAF games going. We should use VOIP too. GAF teamspeak perhaps?

Guys, add me! I need you guys on my friends list so we can play!

My username is pinksock

Zeliard

Such a blast to play. And as someone who pretty much hates skill-based matchmaking the way we usually see it, I love that the matchmaking system here groups people rank 7 and above together. You improve a lot more, and lot more quickly, by playing against experienced people. You get your feet wet at the lower ranks and then you get better by playing against more solid opponents.

I haven't found the transition rough at all; it's much easier to consistently dominate the lower tiers but that's expected. What you get at rank 7 and above is basically what you got in the pre-matchmaking days, where there's a nice mix of skill levels.

And yeah nevermind about assault rifle, lol. Once I unlocked the Spinfusor I never looked back. Paid 'em 10 bucks and used a bit of that gold to unlock the eagle pistol, which is a nice finisher. The rest of the soldier class stuff has been quick and painless to unlock with just XP.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Well F2P certainly has its drawbacks but I actually prefer it for this kind of game.

The F2P aspect makes it far more appealing to the general public. I know a few people who actually play it that would never have spent money on the game because at 40-50€ it would simply be too much for the amount of time they'd be able to invest.

This is really important for me as well. I am playing with friends who would NEVER have touched this game if it cost money.

Jubbly

I hope there's a modified version of Raindance in the next patch (or they remove it from rotation if not). It's just impossible to get the flag back if it's held in the generator room, resulting in a 30 min stalemate.

Only upside, I got about 4,400 XP with just a VIP account.

DarkKyo

I tried a couple matches the other day and it was.. hmm... interesting. Never played a Tribes before. Seems like the whole concept of the game is a bunch of crazy slipping, sliding, and flying around while praying you can hit the guy you're aiming at. Maybe I need to unlock more classes because I only tried one and I feel like no matter what class you are, you're gonna have a pretty similar experience.

I'll be honest I'm a little tempted to grab the $10 even though I'm broke. I'm just enjoying the crap out of this. I'm wondering though. How much time would you need to play (average) per day to make a XP booster worth more than just buying whatever you wanted unlocked with gold?

I tried a couple matches the other day and it was.. hmm... interesting. Never played a Tribes before. Seems like the whole concept of the game is a bunch of crazy slipping, sliding, and flying around while praying you can hit the guy you're aiming at. Maybe I need to unlock more classes because I only tried one and I feel like no matter what class you are, you're gonna have a pretty similar experience.

Pathfinder, Soldier, and Juggernaut are all you'll need.

Maybe eventually technician.. don't spend money on any other class until you perfect those.

ZoddGutts

As much I like the game, wish there were more maps. They feel limited right now. Wish they would allow mods to make maps. There's really no reason not to allow it, since there not charging for new maps.

kennah

How are the support classes? I'm pretty terrible at running and gunning, but like things like medic and base defense.

ZoddGutts

How are the support classes? I'm pretty terrible at running and gunning, but like things like medic and base defense.

Go with Doombringer to guard your flag. There's also a perk that makes your Doombringer have more mass weight, all you need to do stand on the flag, when pathfinders run into you, they'll instantly die. Go with Technician to guard your Generator and upgrade your turrents/Generator.

Riposte

Just started playing this and it is really cool, but two things are bumming me out:

1) My mouse fucking blows and "turns off" randomly for a few seconds. I really need a new one lol.

2) Grinding out the ass for unlocks.

From what I can tell unlocks in this game are crazy dumb. Worst of all there are "upgrades" which basically makes every piece a grind and puts me at a disadvantage for everything. How long does it take to unlock everything for a single class... how about all the classes(which there are several locked)?

They really want me to spend my money.

EDIT: How much would it cost to have everything unlocked?

my only complaint about this game like many others is how long it takes to gain exp. It takes about a week of playing casually just to unlock one weapon. Otherwise this is an amazing game, i'm just gonna end up buying gold

Wow. Think I'm going to put this down soon lol.

Card Boy

Banned
Just started playing this and it is really cool, but two things are bumming me out:

1) My mouse fucking blows and "turns off" randomly for a few seconds. I really need a new one lol.

2) Grinding out the ass for unlocks.

From what I can tell unlocks in this game are crazy dumb. Worst of all there are "upgrades" which basically makes every piece a grind and puts me at a disadvantage for everything. How long does it take to unlock everything for a single class... how about all the classes(which there are several locked)?

They really want me to spend my money.

EDIT: How much would it cost to have everything unlocked?

Wow. Think I'm going to put this down soon lol.

$50, make sure you get a free solider spinfuser code and the 250gold from Facebook.

epmode

Pay attention to the exp costs versus gold. Classes are pretty cheap exp-wise but weapons (especially certain weapons) are a huge exp sink while they're relatively cheap with gold.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I cant even 'like' the facebook page, it says validating but returns to the same screen. Is it because the page is in french and it screws up?

Top Bottom