• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine (PC/PSN) |OT|

Curious to hear how the final level turned out in the PSN version. TRINE seemed very managable to play with a standard controller throughout the majority of the campaign, with the exception of the last part of the game. You had to be quick on your feet while putting your skills to good use just as fast, and this might become a problem on consoles if the developers left that level as is. I don't believe they wouldn't have altered it with this in mind though, considering the negative feedback they received from the PC community regarding the sudden difficulty spike in that particular stage.

BeeDog

Since Trine has just been released on the EU PSN store, it'd be swell with some impressions. How well does the game run on the PS3 etc.?

edgefusion

BeeDog said:
Since Trine has just been released on the EU PSN store, it'd be swell with some impressions. How well does the game run on the PS3 etc.?

Not a great port to be honest. It runs at a very strange resolution, if you enter the XMB while playing everything is all squished. The game is total jaggie-ville as well and the frame-rate seems a bit shoddy. I've not encountered anything horrifically game-breaking (so far) but it is rather disappointing.

The controls seem fine however, aiming with the thief is done with the analog stick (as is blocking with the knight). Grappling is automatic unlike on the PC which may or may not become troublesome depending on how intelligent it is. When using the wizard you're given a cursor (just like on the PC) to select what you want to manipulate... perhaps not the most elegant solution given the lack of a mouse, but it works.

Im curious as to what pricing is going to be on PSN. I played the demo on PC and liked it but $30 seems like a lot for this title in these post-Shadow Complex days.

If its south of $20 i might bite, that is, when it actually makes it to the US

Goldrusher

It's up for PS3 in Europe. €19.99 / £16.99.

Beautiful, beautiful game. From the presentation (menu, graphics, art and narrator) to the graphics and the music. Beautiful !

edgefusion

I don't suppose anyone knows where I could find the soundtrack? I've been playing for the last couple of hours and it's one of the most enchanting soundtracks I've heard in aaages.

No45

edgefusion said:
Not a great port to be honest. It runs at a very strange resolution, if you enter the XMB while playing everything is all squished. The game is total jaggie-ville as well and the frame-rate seems a bit shoddy. I've not encountered anything horrifically game-breaking (so far) but it is rather disappointing.
Do you have support for 720p? When I started the game I had 720p unchecked and the game defaulted to 480p - adding 720p back in as an option sorted that though. :)

I'm through the first few levels and really enjoying it so far. It seems as though there's multiple ways to approach most of the puzzles, and each room has a few nooks and crannies that will be hiding some of the green bottles.

Graphically I think it looks great, and is smooth for the most part. Music is nice, narrator is great but the voices for the knight, wizard and thief seem as though they weren't recorded with a decent setup (Think of the character voices in Sacred 2, although perhaps not quite so bad).

Impressed so far anyway. Oh, and it's £15.99 in the UK, not £16.99 as was stated in the blog update. Still not quite the $19.99 the US will be getting it for, but not too far away.

Goldrusher

Some of you are spoiled, this game is gorgeous.

Just found out you can use the wizard and his blocks to "move" those potion bottles. So you don't always have to make your way to them.
And they crush enemies as well.

edgefusion

No45 said:
Do you have support for 720p? When I started the game I had 720p unchecked and the game defaulted to 480p - adding 720p back in as an option sorted that though. :)

Yep, it's checked. After careful consideration I think I'm completely wrong and it's not squished at all.

Mrbob said:

You are a god amongst men.

Goldrusher said:
Some of you are spoiled, this game is gorgeous.

Just found out you can use the wizard and his blocks to "move" those potion bottles. So you don't always have to make your way to them.
And they crush enemies as well.

I often find myself fiddling around with a box and an out of reach potion bottle. So satisfying to finally send it tumbling down when it's been stuck in a corner. Something I noticed when using the Thief; if you're swinging on your grapple and hit an enemy it'll die. Just like a pirate!

bought this today, it's really quite lovely. only control issues i've encountered is me pressing the change character button instead of the attack button. linearity and game length is a minor concern though - i'd love a more metroidy version of this. i'm not that far through though so we'll see

anyway i'm off to try the co-op

BeeDog

A couple of levels in, a very solid little game. Presentation-wise it's great, the art direction is sweet, but the aliasing sticks out.

iratA

G_Berry said:
$30 AUS lol

I don't mind paying $30 for a game thats worth it. Wipeout HD was not the cheapest game on PSN but its also better than most. I'm all for having more robust and fully featured games to be offered via PSN.

Oh and downloading now... Damn I've waited a long time for this one, hope it delivers.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeeDog said:
A couple of levels in, a very solid little game. Presentation-wise it's great, the art direction is sweet, but the aliasing sticks out.

Nah, it's very minimal. I can see it on the thief rope and on the characters but other than that is pretty fine as there are very few straight lines in the environments and the settings are mostly dark. This is not Infamous level aliasing. I'm playing on a 1080p HDTV.

Edit: Some off-screen shots.

11m6ss2.jpg

drcyaf.jpg

2yxkl8p.jpg

t0i0lk.jpg

a0ud81.jpg

28m5w1.jpg

33ab19y.jpg

5fg3e8.jpg

Not too bad uh? In fact it's quite gorgeous to be honest.

Yeah, there's some rough edges but it's a beautiful looking game.

The thief and wizard controls work fine with the analogue sticks, they seem accurate and responsive enough. I can't compare it to the PC version since I've never played it before, but I'm loving it so far.

nofi

My impressions from a couple of hours with the game last night, if you'll excuse my indulgence.

Put simply, it’s flawlessly presented. The menus are simple but clear, the load times are brief (and narrated over) and whatever issues the developers were having with the game over the last few months appear to have all but vanished, although there’s the odd glitch here and there (try holding the Knight’s shield upwards while facing right). Visually it’s a treat, with deep, rich colours populating the 2.5 playing field and the character animation is top-notch too. It’s a remarkably consistent world even though each level has it’s own characteristics.

The game plays out a little like a next-gen Lost Vikings. If you’re unfamiliar with the 16-bit classic, the premise was that each of the three titular Vikings had their own ability and you had to flick between them to accomplish each particular level. In Trine there’s only ever one player character on screen at once (unless you’re playing multiplayer, of course) so the puzzles are considerably simpler and mainly just revolve around using the right man (or woman) for the job rather than any brain teasers involving all three.

The aforementioned Knight is the brawn of the group, using his sword and shield to hack through any enemies. The thief is light on her feed, is equipped with a bow and can use a grappling hook to cover distances. Finally, the wizard can manipulate certain areas of each level (a see-saw, for example) and can work magic to produce items such as boxes. Each character can improve their abilities by leveling up, a process achieved by collecting Experience vials throughout each level.

Whilst the game appears to have some length in it’s main story mode, the real challenge will be in discovering every last bit of Experience, something highlighted on the level select screen (already collected vials won’t appear again on repeated plays so it’s clear you’re making progress). This process will unlock the game’s various silver Trophies too, meaning you’ve got at least a virtual points-based reward for your hard work in seeking out the often hidden and seemingly out of reach potions. I’d hesitate to put a figure on the length of the game itself, though.

So, with the accolade of being the most expensive non-disk originating title on the PSN Store (it’s £16.99) is Trine worth the money? Well, again, it’s probably too early to say (I’m just starting the fourth level as I type) but I’ve massively enjoyed the game so far – it’s beautifully presented, plays well and appears to have some challenging areas and plenty of hidden secrets to be uncovered. It’s relatively slow paced, too, which is refreshing, and the multiple difficulty levels mean anyone will be able to ‘finish’ the game without too much trouble.

Roxas

nofi said:
So, with the accolade of being the most expensive non-disk originating title on the PSN Store (it’s £16.99) is Trine worth the money? Well, again, it’s probably too early to say (I’m just starting the fourth level as I type) but I’ve massively enjoyed the game so far – it’s beautifully presented, plays well and appears to have some challenging areas and plenty of hidden secrets to be uncovered. It’s relatively slow paced, too, which is refreshing, and the multiple difficulty levels mean anyone will be able to ‘finish’ the game without too much trouble.

I dont mean to be picky..but its £15.99 ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nofi said:
My impressions from a couple of hours with the game last night, if you'll excuse my indulgence.

Put simply, it’s flawlessly presented. The menus are simple but clear, the load times are brief (and narrated over) and whatever issues the developers were having with the game over the last few months appear to have all but vanished, although there’s the odd glitch here and there (try holding the Knight’s shield upwards while facing right). Visually it’s a treat, with deep, rich colours populating the 2.5 playing field and the character animation is top-notch too. It’s a remarkably consistent world even though each level has it’s own characteristics.

The game plays out a little like a next-gen Lost Vikings. If you’re unfamiliar with the 16-bit classic, the premise was that each of the three titular Vikings had their own ability and you had to flick between them to accomplish each particular level. In Trine there’s only ever one player character on screen at once (unless you’re playing multiplayer, of course) so the puzzles are considerably simpler and mainly just revolve around using the right man (or woman) for the job rather than any brain teasers involving all three.

The aforementioned Knight is the brawn of the group, using his sword and shield to hack through any enemies. The thief is light on her feed, is equipped with a bow and can use a grappling hook to cover distances. Finally, the wizard can manipulate certain areas of each level (a see-saw, for example) and can work magic to produce items such as boxes. Each character can improve their abilities by leveling up, a process achieved by collecting Experience vials throughout each level.

Whilst the game appears to have some length in it’s main story mode, the real challenge will be in discovering every last bit of Experience, something highlighted on the level select screen (already collected vials won’t appear again on repeated plays so it’s clear you’re making progress). This process will unlock the game’s various silver Trophies too, meaning you’ve got at least a virtual points-based reward for your hard work in seeking out the often hidden and seemingly out of reach potions. I’d hesitate to put a figure on the length of the game itself, though.

Great impressions Nofi. I'd like to point out the very accurate in game physics as well which affect basically anything that isn't "glued" to the background. Add this to wizard's ability to move stuff around as well as create objects and at times it feels like playing a LBP level, but in create mode.

BTW, Official Eu blog is about to give away Trine codes via Twitter. I'll post here as they come. Be quick!

We have three Trine codes to give away today (EU only!). We'll be doing so at 3:30pm BST. Be prepared!

iratA

Yep +1 for the positive impressions. Its really a very good looking platform/puzzler. Had my son come in and play with me for a while and its even better multiplayer. It really has some good team oriented puzzles.

Mrbob

I noticed the PC version on Steam is now $19.99 as well. Looks like a regular price.

Buy this game people. Of course, it would be nice if it was actually available on the US Playstation Store!

I don't see the cursor in the thief-warrior screenshots.

Then, the arrow-rope-shied is controlled by the right analog, depending of the direction? Is precise enough to aim correctly?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DangerousDave said:
I don't see the cursor in the thief-warrior screenshots.

Then, the arrow-rope-shied is controlled by the right analog, depending of the direction? Is precise enough to aim correctly?

Cursor if for Wizard only to interact with environment/draw shapes.

There is some auto aim involved so yeah, it's very accurate even if you are not.

few more levels in, really digging it. co-op is cool, playing the wizard and manipulating the environment to help the other player is pretty neat and makes for amusing situations.

TTP said:
at times it feels like playing a LBP level, but in create mode.

so very apt. i spent a lot of time in create mode with other people just for fun.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Completed it. Good game overall, but second to last level was shit as far as frame rate goes. So much particle stuff going on at points it could drop to the range of 10fps! Especially when performing a special move with one of the characters. It's actually the only level I felt the urge to rush through cos it was just ugly. I can see why this game had issues passing Sony certification. Oh well. Time to Platinum this bitch now.

BeeDog

TTP said:
Completed it. Good game overall, but second to last level was shit as far as frame rate goes. So much particle stuff going on at points it could drop to the range of 10fps! Especially when performing a special move with one of the characters. It's actually the only level I felt the urge to rush through cos it was just ugly. I can see why this game had issues passing Sony certification. Oh well. Time to Platinum this bitch now.

Wow, already. :D Gotta catch up.

Is the last level as hard as everyone made it out to be?

lastplayed said:
Yeah, there's some rough edges but it's a beautiful looking game.

The thief and wizard controls work fine with the analogue sticks, they seem accurate and responsive enough. I can't compare it to the PC version since I've never played it before, but I'm loving it so far.

The game is very playable with a gamepad. That's how I played it on the PC. The only tricky part is drawing some of the shapes as the Wizard but it's not overly a problem.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeeDog said:
Wow, already. :D Gotta catch up.

Is the last level as hard as everyone made it out to be?

It's very short and straightforward. I only had to restart it once. But I played it on normal. Very hard without losing a character is gonna be a bitch tho (required to get a trophy).

Hypereides

Gold Member
TTP said:
It's very short and straightforward. I only had to restart it once. But I played it on normal. Very hard without losing a character is gonna be a bitch tho (required to get a trophy).

I remember reading you saying that the trophies are just the old icons prior to the trophy system firmware (checked BeeDog's profile to see it sadly being true :/). Kinda disappoints me, cause I usually love seeing the developers add a special touch to the trophies.

Hopefully THAT one will stand out, and the remaining were picked because they went well with the game.

Looking forward to playing it a bit later tonight. Trine platinum is a must!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeeDog said:
I still haven't unlocked Very Hard; what are the actual differences between Normal and that difficulty level?

Not sure. First impression is enemies deal more damage and resist longer. Standard affair apparently.

Top Bottom