• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck plows into market in Berlin killing 12, injuring 48. Suspect shot dead in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another guy who will not tell about his motives, and the support he got in planning the attack.

I wonder how many other terrorists involved are still roaming freely around. It's genuinely troubling.

It's pretty clear by now there is no big difference between him dying and confessing everything, everyone he names would be released anyway.

Siegcram

I'm not shitting on anything, but if that was a random stop by the Italian police I'm really struggling to see the Europol contribution here.

Random street police controls have nothing to do with europol. Nobody is "shitting" on europol, you're creating a strawman. Someone said "good job europol" and someone replied to that this likely doesn't have anything to do with europol and as such lauding them is off the mark.
A routine control doesn't happen in a vacuum. And they're not "random". Plus Europol is certainly communicating with the respective police agencies, regarding description etc.

Given neither of you know how to divide the arbitrary amount of credit, dismissing any europol involvement out of hand is as foolish as premature praise.

Rektash

Germany is the country that had Google blur the faces on Google Street View. It's the country where you can get in trouble taking a picture of someone who doesn't want his picture taken and where car dashboard cameras are not allowed because privacy. Germans are really paranoid about being photographed or filmed.

And for good reason. Having witnessed a police state in eastern germany with the Stasi monitoring every aspect of life taught people that privacy is pretty essential to lead a free life.

SilentRob

Here we see how the open borders work. A terrorist can go from germany to italy with no trouble. Fantastic. Good to hear that the police got him.

Yes. The question is: Is that worth the security risk? and the European governments and people decided "Yes". Thank god.

'm still shocked at a lack of CCTV in the vicinity of the crash. It's a busy square beside a shopping centre; a busy shopping street; down from a large area of hotels and between two tourist areas.

German politicians backed a policy without any sense of control. They then under resourced the institutions that needed to support the policy. However the security services seem to have been quite woeful before and after the attack. Too many people are wanting to protect the German government from criticism due to their own personal politics.

This is an old fashioned government fuck up across the board with 12 dead and tens injured.

PS; Merkel only did this for young male migrant workers. Unfortunately statistics have shown since that she mostly for young male migrants.

Yet again people confuse "government" with "people". The Government under the CDU does regularly try to get more surveillance and security laws passed that cut into every citizens right to privacy and my definition of freedom. It's the german people that keep them from doing that (as best they can). Germans value their privacy and freedom more than most other things. There is absolutely no way Berlin especially, a politically pretty left town, would choose to plaster their town with cameras and surveillance because german citicens just don't want that. In 2008 more than 100.000 people protested against german surveillance laws in the vein of how the NSA operates in a rally called "Freedom instead of Fear".

Germany is in the very special position of being built out of both a failed state with extrem right-wing-politics and a failed state with extreme lift-wing-politics. Many people remember very well how in the DDR surveillance was used by the Stasi to oppress the people and keep them in check.

A routine control doesn't happen in a vacuum. And they're not "random". Plus Europol is certainly communicating with the respective police agencies, regarding description etc.

Given neither of you know how to divide the arbitrary amount of credit, dismissing any europol involvement out of hand is as foolish as premature praise.

Not really, I'm simply witholding praise until their involvement is demonstrated - nothing more. That's a perfectly reasonable default position, and certainly not "as foolish" as saying well done to an organisation that was prima facie not involved in this.

You seem a tad defensive for some reason?

vsMIC

Hopefully the SPD is smarter than promoting another Steinbrück.

... worse! Sigmar Gabriel! for me it looks like SPD wants to make sure Merkel gets re-elected.

indeed it is most probable that merkel gets re-elected after spd's best candidate was pushed in the presidential role. but i fear increasing votes for the far right ...

Patrick S.

Banned
And for good reason. Having witnessed a police state in eastern germany with the Stasi monitoring every aspect of life taught people that privacy is pretty essential to lead a free life.

Yeah, that's very true. And of course, as with Internet and cellphone data etc., in the beginning there are assurances that of course that data will not be shared with anyone else, and as time passes everything IS shared with whoever wants it.

So apparently he went from Berlin to Chambéry(France) to Turin and then to Milan by train.

Intelligence agencies probably very interested why he went to France first.

330 people in germany with alleged ties to IS or other terrorist organisations.

Assumptions of course but they seem rather strong in France from what I can tell. Probably where most of their base is, aka directions, weapons, cash and planning.

There is no doubt people in france right now with actions and plans in place. That is what I was saying earlier, it's not a good thing at all and maybe the one good reasoning in him being took alive (not that he may have talked) hopefully they can get a hold on the root of most of this and start to stop it for good. The sooner the better but I don't see an end soon :(

KDR_11k

I'm still shocked at a lack of CCTV in the vicinity of the crash. It's a busy square beside a shopping centre; a busy shopping street; down from a large area of hotels and between two tourist areas.

It's also a public square and in Germany it's not legal to simply point a surveillance camera at a public place like that. People have a right to move in public without being recorded all the time.

Shiggy

SPD still has a solid chance of getting the post if the CDU loses enough votes and Die Grünen and Linke gain enough votes. SPD has Steinmeier who is really well liked and if they are smart they will use him as candidate instead of another Peer Steinbrück (who was their weakest candidate in 20 years and still managed to get the party a 2% increase over the last election). That can easily give them some decent upwind, hopefully enough for a SPD+Grüne (and maybe FDP if they can get over 5% and pull their head out of their arse) coalition.

People should worry about France, Austria and pretty much other country when it comes to right wing parties taking over (or rather already having taken over like in Poland) than Germany.

A SPD + Grüne government taking over again and Steinmeier becomming chancellor is still the best thing that can happen IMO, definitely better than Merkel at this point. She is a good politician but she's been doing the job for 11 years now. Also I want the bloody CSU out of the government.

A leftwing government which is ignoring the issues with immigrants from predominantly Muslim countries is exactly not what we need now. We need a government which names these issues and tries to tackle them, not a government which tries to find excuses by saying "these terrorists were manipulated and traumatised".

These people don't share our values or try to accept them. With soft policies they will simply laugh and play around with the police and people.

Sinfamy

It's also a public square and in Germany it's not legal to simply point a surveillance camera at a public place like that. People have a right to move in public without being recorded all the time.
Pretty sure it should be the other way around.
You should have no expectation of privacy in a public setting.

Jenenser

I'm still shocked at a lack of CCTV in the vicinity of the crash. It's a busy square beside a shopping centre; a busy shopping street; down from a large area of hotels and between two tourist areas.

This is an old fashioned government fuck up across the board with 12 dead and tens injured.

we don't want shit like cctv. thats not on our politicians. we protesst and block trys frequently.

to the bolded: it isn't...
its hilarious that the agressor and isis dont get any blame from you.

Xando

German politicians need to be really careful about privacy in public or not.
If you do any radical changes supreme court will shoot it down faster than you can say terrorist.

Infact supreme court shot down the goverment multiple times for forcing ISPs to save browsing history etc.

After the Nazis and DDR privacy and data security is very strongly in the german constitution

Dalibor68

Banned
So we are already at the point where we are mixing refugees, immigrants and terrorists together.

We're at a point where users like you come in and make posts like this in order to shift the discussion and paint the others as nazis (at least I can't see what else the purpose of your post is). Of course it's a flowing mass, ie some terrorists came disguised as refugees, some migrants lived here and became radicalized etc. But nobody is generalizing whole groups as your strawman implies.

So we are already at the point where we are mixing refugees, immigrants and terrorists together.
The problem is, they overlap and there are no checks on who is who. People come here as a refugee, who are actually migrants, and who might be terrorists.

Someone from Tunisia is not a refugee. Someone from Syria is. If the government isn't even enforcing this difference, then you can expect the people to look at everyone with suspicion.

chrislowe

Yes. The question is: Is that worth the security risk? and the European governments and people decided "Yes". Thank god.

Sorry, but when did we vote to have open borders?.
I cant remember that I have been voting for or against that.

The government said yes, but thats not the same thing as the people.

Rektash

The people voted for their government. That's how a representative democracy works.

Xando

Well you voted right? Did you vote for a pro EU party? If yes you voted for the EU and freedom of movement.

Welcome to democracy

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A SPD + Grüne government taking over again and Steinmeier becomming chancellor is still the best thing that can happen IMO, definitely better than Merkel at this point. She is a good politician but she's been doing the job for 11 years now. Also I want the bloody CSU out of the government.

A SPD + Green coalition is about as likely as a pure CDU coalition, i.e.: Impossible.
... worse! Sigmar Gabriel! for me it looks like SPD wants to make sure Merkel gets re-elected.

indeed it is most probable that merkel gets re-elected after spd's best candidate was pushed in the presidential role. but i fear increasing votes for the far right ...
Steinmeier would not be a good candidate at all. How would he be able to form an SPD / Green / Left government? That's entirely impossible with his conservative profile and as the creative mind behind Hartz 4. Since SPD / Green / Left is the only alternative to a Merkel led coalition, Steinmeier would be a bad candidate. Both Gabriel and Martin Schulz are better candidates in that sense. Schulz is also more of a conservative guy, but he has not been so public about this, so he could still arrange a left coalition. Since Schulz is going to be foreign secretary, he will be in a great position to be the candidate, because this is a rather risk-free position that usually correlates with high popularity.

We also don't have political partisanship, 2 party system/voting choice, a Rust Belt or christian fanatics to deal with.
Well, we do have some, just not nearly as many as in the US. Just look at the C-Plakat group from Gummersbach near cologne. Anyway, these people are probably mainly voting for CDU or a party that does not even get represented in the parliament, so they really are not a huge problem at this time.
I agree that Merkel will win. But this is also a dangerous thing. People are then basically voting for her because there is nobody else, not because they actually like her. Not a good long term option for Germany.
Well, a lot of people do like her, she's quite popular considering for how long she has already been chancellor. And CDU still is the most popular party in Germany, as it has been for more than ten years.
While political stagnation isn't great, it's also not at all dangerous in context of a political landscape that has Donald Trump tweeting about nukes as the president elect. 4 years of Merkel are the most tame scenario for Germany.
4 years of SPD / Green / Left is not some wild rollercoaster either. And it's probably clear from my text that I would also greatly prefer this.

Dalibor68

Banned

Exactly, especcially as according to a poll from august 65% are not happy with Merkels refugee policy. And that's germany, now think of the less welcoming countries (as in basically everyone else other than Sweden). But it seems Merkels strategy of painting everything as "alternativlos" (no other alternatives existing) has worked with some at least.

http://de.reuters.com/article/deutschland-fl-chtlinge-umfrage-idDEKCN10G0BX

The people voted for their government. That's how a representative democracy works.

So you're telling me the german people voted for the conservative center-right party in 2013 because they wanted Merkel to sway to the left and instate an open border policy 2-3 years later after an unforseen stream of migrants and refugees?

Xando

Exactly, especcially as according to a poll from august 65% are not happy with Merkels refugee policy. And that's germany, now think of the less welcoming countries (as in basically everyone else other than Sweden). But it seems Merkels strategy of painting everything as "alternativlos" (no other alternatives existing) has worked with some at least.

http://de.reuters.com/article/deutschland-fl-chtlinge-umfrage-idDEKCN10G0BX

He is talking about internal european borders but nice try blaming merkels refugee policy for it

Dalibor68

Banned
He is talking about internal european borders but nice try blaming merkels refugee policy for it

So am I, what are you talking about? Deciding to leave the german border open / as uncontrolled as it was is part of the refugee policy.

4 years of SPD / Green / Left is not some wild rollercoaster either. And it's probably clear from my text that I would also greatly prefer this.

Given that this is the most left coalition possible and a majority of germans disagrees with you, I will do too.

azyless

Xando

So am I, what are you talking about? Deciding to leave the german border open / as uncontrolled as it was is part of the refugee policy.

Schengen existed way before merkel. Hell Merkel even suspended schengen but i guess that doesn't fit your narrative?

Dalibor68

Banned
Schengen existed way before merkel. Hell Merkel even suspended schengen but i guess that doesn't fit your narrative?

nvm, seems he was indeed talking about schengen itself instead of the open border policy, my mistake as I didn't follow the quotes back far enough

In exchange for privacy and less state surveillance, we must accept that not every crime will be prevented, or that not all criminals will be arrested. I can live with this. Better have a few tragedies than have the pendulum swing too far the other way into Big Brother territory.

Xando

You seem confused. He was talking about the people not having directly voted for this open border policy but the government. Thus I posted a link showing that even further 65% of german people according to the poll are not happy with that open border policy.

He was talking about the terrorist moving from germany to italy with no trouble which has nothing to do with merkels refugee policy.

Here we see how the open borders work. A terrorist can go from germany to italy with no trouble. Fantastic. Good to hear that the police got him.

Rektash

So you're telling me the german people voted for the conservative center-right party in 2013 because they wanted Merkel to sway to the left and instate an open border policy 2-3 years later after an unforseen stream of migrants and refugees?

People voted for a candidate/party to represent their political interests for four years, so yes, that's exactly what the german people did.

Politicians do stuff that is in conflict with their voterbase all the time, so I don't see how this is anything special.

The only alternative is a more direct democracy where you can vote directly on specific issues. That system comes with a mountain of problems as well.

We are living in a representative democry though, so this is just something you got learn to deal with.

If you want your own opinion to be heared get into politics yourself or learn to deal with living in a representative democracy.

chrislowe

Well you voted right? Did you vote for a pro EU party? If yes you voted for the EU and freedom of movement.

Welcome to democracy

Yes I voted on a party that for example wanted less taxes on fuel.
After they got elected, they raised the taxes for fuel, so what I voted for was not really the case in the long run.

But now its a bit offtopic.

Dalibor68

Banned
People voted for a candidate/party to represent their political interests for four years, so yes, that's exactly what the german people did.

Politicians do stuff that is in conflict with their voterbase all the time, so I don't see how this is anything special.

The only alternative is a more direct democracy where you can vote directly on specific issues. That system comes with a mountain of problems as well.

We are living in a representative democry though, so this is just something you got learn to deal with.

A representative democracy does not mean the people who voted for said parties now automatically like and support every complete 180° change in policy that opposes what the party stood for / the sister party even still opposes it for. Thus see the poll above that says 65% are unhappy with her policy, proving the opposite is the case.

In exchange for privacy and less state surveillance, we must accept that not every crime will be prevented, or that not all criminals will be arrested. I can live with this. Better have a few tragedies than have the pendulum swing too far the other way into Big Brother territory.

Something tells me there might be a middle ground between Orwell 1984 and simply accepting people getting massacred by terrorists every few months.

Only that Anis Amri was well-known.
It isn't that there is a large uncontrollable grey mass of Muslims and there are no forms of control like people claim here.

Rektash

A representative democracy does not mean the people who voted for said parties now automatically like and support every complete 180° change in policy that opposes what the party stood for / the sister party even still opposes it for. Thus see the poll above that says 65% are unhappy with her policy, proving the opposite is the case.

Of course not - but you got to deal with it as that is how representative democracy works. It's a system of compromises.

I was replying to this argument:

You are trying to drag me into some argument I want no part of.

Dalibor68

Banned
I was replying to this argument:

You are trying to drag me into some argument I want no part of.

Well in regards to signing Schengen you are right of course, if you vote for a very pro-EU party you are going to get pro-EU policies

My point before was that you cannot assume people to agree with merkels refugee policy because they voted for her party in 2013, before any of this even started and before she veered to the left. But it seems that was not your arguement so my mistake then

KDR_11k

That's not how it works in Germany. After two totalitarian surveillance governments (Nazis and Soviets) we'd rather risk the occasional terrorist slipping through (and it really is occasional, for every attack there have been dozens of reports that terrorists were caught before attacking) than the government having easy access to surveillance that could be used to outlaw or persecute what is normal today.

No, a single camera on a public place doesn't mean much but enough cameras and you get the ability to calculate movement profiles which tell you pretty much everything about a person.

In a representative democracy you decide that by voting for a party whose program matches your preferences. The parties that got the majority of the vote are ones that favor open borders. The closed border parties only get a small portion of the vote.

Rektash

Well in regards to signing Schengen you are right of course, if you vote for a very pro-EU party you are going to get pro-EU policies

My point before was that you cannot assume people to agree with merkels refugee policy because they voted for her party in 2013, before any of this even started and before she veered to the left. But it seems that was not your arguement so my mistake then

My point is, you will never agree to every single policy. That's why you have to learn to deal with compromises or get into politics yourself to represent your own opinion. The only fair alternative is to vote on EVERY issue via direct democracy but that has plenty problems of its own.

Dalibor68

Banned
My point is, you will never agree to every single policy. That's why you have to learn to deal with compromises or get into politics yourself to represent your own opinion. The only fair alternative is to vote on EVERY issue via direct democracy but that has plenty problems of its own.

Yes, I know how representative democracy works. My only point was that one can not imply that the CDU voters of 2013 support her policy because they voted CDU in 2013 when none of this was foreseeable(to the average joe) and her policy goes against what you expect from center-right party. Thus the hypothetical statement "The people support her refugee policy because they voted for her in 2013!" is incorrect both logically and factually(see the polls).

In a representative democracy you decide that by voting for a party whose program matches your preferences. The parties that got the majority of the vote are ones that favor open borders. The closed border parties only get a small portion of the vote.

If you are talking about the schengen contract then you are correct, otherwise not. "Open borders" alone is a very undifferentiated term here, as "open borders" in the terms of schengen means open internal borders on the basis of secured outer borders.

G.ZZZ

Only that Anis Amri was well-known.
It isn't that there is a large uncontrollable grey mass of Muslims and there are no forms of control like people claim here.

Don't let us kid ourselves, if we went around being more aggressive in our policing we would be called out for being police states and for massive racial profiling

Dalibor68

Banned
Don't let us kid ourselves, if we went around being more aggressive in our policing we would be called out for being police states and for massive racial profiling

Those who would be doing that however do currently not hold much water.

As usual, there is no need to go to extremes but find a compromise between security and freedom. That balance will shift back and forth depending on the times we live in.

Yoshi

Given that this is the most left coalition possible and a majority of germans disagrees with you, I will do too.

It is the most left coalition possible out of two coalitions that are possible at all in the current climate (assuming that CDU/CSU/SPD is still possible, of course). I don't know how the majority of Germans disagreeing with me has anything to do with you disagreeing with me - would you change your position if nothing else changed but just the public opinion on an SPD/Greens/Left coalition? Moreover, people don't vote coalitions, but parties, and currently we do have a situation where people voted in a way that an SPD / Green / Left coalition would be possible. It is true that this is not true for the current polls, but the election is still one year from now and the SPD has not even set their candidate.

Staf

Italian press conference:

Suspect was stopped at routine control 3am last night
Was asked for ID and immediately pulled gun and shot a officer (non lethal)
Was then killed by other officers responding
Confirmed it is Amri

Great news!

Dalibor68

Banned
It is the most left coalition possible out of two coalitions that are possible at all in the current climate (assuming that CDU/CSU/SPD is still possible, of course). I don't know how the majority of Germans disagreeing with me has anything to do with you disagreeing with me - would you change your position if nothing else changed but just the public opinion on an SPD/Greens/Left coalition? Moreover, people don't vote coalitions, but parties, and currently we do have a situation where people voted in a way that an SPD / Green / Left coalition would be possible. It is true that this is not true for the current polls, but the election is still one year from now and the SPD has not even set their candidate.

The highest poll has that coalition at 45% and frankly I don't see any way the SPD isn't going to lose even more than what polls are showing right now. Times of police scandals, terror attacks and other incidents are usually not the time where left pro-immigration parties come out to shine.

I think the statement of this not being a rollercoaster ride is simply wrong because as I said it is the most left coalition possible, a 3-party-coalition which always brings more instability and would lead to the most division possible (other than AfD getting 50%+). Parties known for statements like "Germany is going to change drastically and I can't wait" in regards to the mass migration (Katrin Göring-Eckardt) or basically calling everything that moves a nazi (Katja Kipping) vs the right (and you could bet your ass that Merkel would be gone and a more right-wing course installed in opposition) would be horrible times.

(Of course they do also have sane and good politicians like Sahra Wagenknecht or Winfried Kretschmann, but I have my doubts that they/their faction are in control over their overall parties)

Yoshi

This says nothing about what the reason for the disagreement is though. Many people also think that her turn for the right and her current policy of declaring safe states that are not acutally safe are at fault. Since there are still more than 20% of people who intend to vote for the greens and the lefts, who actually share this sentiment in the public, her politics in this regard might still be the most popular stance she could take.

Yoshi

The highest poll has that coalition at 45% and frankly I don't see any way the SPD isn't going to lose even more than what polls are showing right now. Times of police scandals, terror attacks and other incidents are usually not the time where left pro-immigration parties come out to shine.
It is hard to say what happens in advance, because a popular candidate could definitely lead to some gains and SPD / Greens / Left is not that far off from having the possibility of forming a coalition that it can be ruled out. Of course, if numerous additional terror attacks happen from now until the election, a further upswing of AfD and similar xenophobe parties will make this impossible, but this specific attack is far enough away from the next election that I don't see it as something that makes a left coalition impossible.

I think the statement of this not being a rollercoaster ride is simply wrong because as I said it is the most left coalition possible, a 3-party-coalition which always brings more instability and would lead to the most division possible (other than AfD getting 50%+).
It is the most left coalition that is currently feasible, but SPD-Left without the greens would probably be more left (and this is nothing that is likely to happen after the next election, but it would still in principle be a possible coalition that may happen in 21 years or so). I also don't see how this coalition would lead to more division than the CDU/CSU/FDP coalition before has. Or the SPD / Greens coalition before that. Of course, a CDU/CSU/SPD coalition is always the calmest option, because this is the most conservative, non-mover coalition you could form, but that does not make it a particularly great option either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom