• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck plows into market in Berlin killing 12, injuring 48. Suspect shot dead in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regginator

I really don't want to put on my tinfoil hat over the backs of 12 deceased human beings, but why the fuck do we conveniently keep finding their IDs at the scene of the crime?

Audioboxer

I really don't want to put on my tinfoil hat over the backs of 12 deceased human beings, but why the fuck do we conveniently keep finding their IDs at the scene of the crime?

Because they want to be all over the newspapers and media, and to get the attention of ISIS and sympathizers worldwide. It "immortalizes" them as a hero to their cause. It's been done once now, and copycat killers usually try to keep the chain going. It shows sick and twisted solidarity that they are doing the same as who has came before them.

It is probably also done because the end game ends up being them being shot dead, blown to bits or mangled. An ID is quick identification to let the world know right after the attack. If they are not legally registered it can take a while to identify a body you don't have on your database. How would they know where the body has came from? An unnamed killer in martyrdom defeats part of the purpose of martyrdom.

Hence why I proposed earlier maybe this guy fled after the hero truck driver tried to fight back and it cut his carnage short. I *doubt* he thought he was getting out alive, which is why he is so dangerous right now. Either for another attack or to embolden others that they can do the same and get away. Germany pretty much needs to get him, or a neighbouring country does.

Condom

If I understand right, because Tunisia refused to recognize him as one of their citizens, Italy just let him go, while he should have been deported. Afterwards he traveled to Germany and they did exactly the same. The EU countries need to change this, we are now just letting illegals stay here who have already proven to be violent, and there should be absolutely no reason for those people to walk free.

That kind of stuff always amazes me. The least you can do is detain him.

Audioboxer

Six aliases

German judicial sources say the suspect, who reportedly entered Germany last year, was monitored in Berlin between March and September on suspicion of planning a robbery to pay for automatic weapons for use in an attack.

Surveillance was reportedly called off after it turned up nothing more than drug-dealing in a Berlin park and a bar brawl before the suspect disappeared from his regular haunts in Berlin.

Ralf Jaeger, the interior minister of North Rhine-Westphalia, confirmed that Anis Amri had, more recently, attracted the attention of counter-terrorism police.

"Security agencies exchanged their findings and information about this person with the Joint Counter-Terrorism Centre in November 2016," the minister said.

Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper reports that the suspect moved within the circle of an Islamist preacher, Ahmad Abdelazziz A, known as Abu Walaa, who was arrested in November.

_93070318_img_6612.jpg

A police notice lists six different aliases used by Anis Amri, who at times tried to pass himself off as an Egyptian or Lebanese.

The suspect was facing deportation as of June but there was a delay in receiving paperwork from Tunisia.

History of crime

A brother of the suspect in Tunisia, Abdelkader Amri, told AFP news agency he could not believe his eyes when he saw his relative's face in the media.

"I'm in shock and can't believe it's him who committed this crime," he said, before adding: "If he's guilty, he deserves every condemnation."

The suspect has a history of crime
:
Anis Amri's father and security sources told a Tunisian radio station that after leaving Tunisia about seven years ago, he had served four years in an Italian prison over a fire at a school

He was also sentenced to five years in prison in Tunisia in absentia, reportedly for aggravated theft with violence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38399561

BBC covering some of the stuff posted earlier, but in English.

That kind of stuff always amazes me. The least you can do is detain him.

To be fair you cant hold a person for ever without charging them with something or in this case deporting him to somewhere - i wonder what the solution is in cases like this. Can you deport someone to a country which does not recognise him/her? what if the person in question simply refuses to cooperate or produce any papers or tell you his originating country?

Hypnotoad

Just a few cases from the last months' where perpatrators should have been deported ages ago / not let into Germany/Austria at all:

http://www.thelocal.at/20160506/police-hold-crisis-talks-on-after-brutal-murder-in-vienna

The murder of 54-year-old Maria E. with an iron bar as she was walking along Vienna's Brunnenmarkt on her way to work as a cleaning lady 2.30am Wednesday morning has shocked residents of the multicultural and popular neighbourhood.

The motivation behind the attack is still unknown, although the key suspect - a 21-year-old Kenyan who has been living illegally in Austria for seven years and did not know the victim - was quickly arrested nearby after the incident.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ker-refugee-jailed-greece-corfu-a7477371.html

"An Afghan asylum seeker arrested on suspicion of raping and murdering a student in Germany had previously tried to kill another woman in Greece, but reportedly slipped through security checks after being freed from prison."

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutsch...a-Familien-tauchen-vor-Abschiebung-unter.html

Short summary: Two Roma families escaped the authorities before their scheduled deportation. They have lived in Germany illegally for 17 years after being denied asylum. The parents are unable to communicate in German, both fathers have a criminal record and served prison sentences in the past.

To be fair you cant hold a person for ever without charging them with something or in this case deporting him to somewhere - i wonder what the solution is in cases like this. Can you deport someone to a country which does not recognise him/her? what if the person in question simply refuses to cooperate or produce any papers or tell you his originating country?
You can hold them while the two countries work it out I think. Since the papers did come in the end, why couldn't he be under house arrest in an asylum center for that period?

If the person refuses to cooperate, then the receiving country also has no obligation to set him free in their country.

I don't think these people should be in a prison cell - unless there is reason too, like a criminal pattern in the case of this specific guy -, but restricted to the area of the asylum center or an ankle monitor don't seem bad to me until they can be sent back.

Azzanadra

Rest in Peace to the victims.

Can't see Merkel getting reelected with situations like this. And maybe rightfully so, call me heartless but I approve of the hard-ass vetting of Canada and the US when it comes to accepting migrants. I understand that Europe has the unfortunate fact of exiting on the same landmass as the middle-east, but Merkel's open borders policy was nonsense.

Of course this guy is from Tunisia it appears, but the letting in of so many migrants has feeded into the right-wing rhetoric and has turned otherwise moderate and rational people into reactionaries. Like it or not, their votes will be needed to keep people like Le Pen away from power.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Gosh, where have I heard that before.

Oh right. Exactly what people were saying before brexit and trump about the respective elections. Hmm.

If you see no difference between Brexit, US elections and Germany's political set-up, then you don't have a clue about politics in general

Oh right. Exactly what people were saying before brexit and trump about the respective elections. Hmm.

You think a country that routinely reminds itself about what happens when you going hard right is going to ho hard right?

This isn't the US where they ignore their history of violence and genocide.

Irminsul

I mean, I've already seen that repeated ad nauseam, but okay, once more:

Brexit and Trump winning were well within the margin of error of all predictions. I mean, predicitons were even correct about Clinton winning the popular vote.

For Merkel not to stay chancellor, you would need the AfD to gain 40 percentage points until the next vote. Not 2-5 as in the cases you mentioned, but 40. Those cases aren't comparable at all.

CoolOff

You think a country that routinely reminds itself about what happens when you going hard right is going to ho hard right?

This isn't the US where they ignore their history of violence and genocide.

Important detail.

The overall awareness of the holocaust in Germany compared to the Trail of Tears or interment camps in the US is ridiculous, even if you factor in the magnitude of the events.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

So what do you expect? As long as AfD (or other nazi parties) do not get 50% of the votes, Merkel gets re-elected. The only alternative to that is that we get a socialst - social democratic - green government, but this is actually getting even more unlikely if the AfD gets stronger.

But since you seem to be unaware of the German politics: In the US, Trump was running against Clinton, a republican against a democrat. In Germany, the closest approximation of republicans are the CDU/CSU (Merkel's party) and the closest approximation of the democrats are the SPD (the social democrats). So Trump winning is not the extraordinary thing. If the green or the liberal candidate or an independent KKK guy had won, this would be the equivalent of Merkel not winning the next election (and not the SPD candidate either).

Fritz

I can also see the opportunity for the CDU/Merkel to capitalise on this if they can (correctly) separate this from the Syrian refugee crisis. Since the CDU has advocated for years for stricter migration laws and leaner deportation laws but have been blocked by the left/centre left. Just recently the interior ministry wanted to deport a higher number of Afghans, which was met with harsh criticism from the left. Also the interior minister wanted to declare Northern African States as safe origin states which is till today blocked by SPD governed federal states.

Dan1984uk

Banned
Just seen in the daily express that they have arrested the suspect, obviously I can't link it but I hope it is true that they have him.

Edit ignore that, it is his associates they have arrested sorry about that.

The main difference are numbers. Democrats and Republicans are basically a 50/50 split in every election and Brexit was also relatively close from the start.

AFD jumping from 10-15% to over 50% (because if worse comes to worst,all the other parties will band together to block AFD) is a very different kind of beast.

Regginator

Because they want to be all over the newspapers and media, and to get the attention of ISIS and sympathizers worldwide. It "immortalizes" them as a hero to their cause. It's been done once now, and copycat killers usually try to keep the chain going. It shows sick and twisted solidarity that they are doing the same as who has came before them.

It is probably also done because the end game ends up being them being shot dead, blown to bits or mangled. An ID is quick identification to let the world know right after the attack. If they are not legally registered it can take a while to identify a body you don't have on your database. How would they know where the body has came from? An unnamed killer in martyrdom defeats part of the purpose of martyrdom.

Hence why I proposed earlier maybe this guy fled after the hero truck driver tried to fight back and it cut his carnage short. I *doubt* he thought he was getting out alive, which is why he is so dangerous right now. Either for another attack or to embolden others that they can do the same and get away. Germany pretty much needs to get him, or a neighbouring country does.

I understand leaving your ID so the police will know it was you when you're shot dead or blown to bits, or in another state that makes recognition tricky, but what I don't understand is leaving your ID behind only to flee and making it much easier for you to get caught.

But then again, I suppose I'm just a normal guy incapable of thinking what they're thinking.

Audioboxer

I understand leaving your ID so the police will know it was you when you're shot dead or blown to bits, or in another state that makes recognition tricky, but what I don't understand is leaving your ID behind only to flee and making it much easier for you to get caught.

But then again, I suppose I'm just a normal guy incapable of thinking what they're thinking.

It might line up with the belief that the truck driver fought back. As I said most of these terrorists think once they start the carnage it ends with them being shot. Either in the truck or nearby. If the driver fought back and went for the steering wheel and caused panic to get the guy fleeing it might mean original plans were messed with.

As much as this guy is a inhumane piece of shit he still has a human mind and surprise and/or a plan like this being changed in the moment can lead to an escalation of fleeing and/or abandoning the plan.

Hence the ID put in place before the carnage starts as there is a real belief he is going to be killed. Once he starts running though it then becomes about staying alive. Either to attack again or to regroup somewhere. Don't underestimate the minds will for survival even if 5 minutes before it was prepared for death/martyrdom.

Plus yeah you might be projecting a bit into yourself and thinking I can't make sense of this. I don't mean that in a negative way, it's mind boggling to try and understand these horrible evil people, but you have to step outside the realms of sanity to try and figure out why they do what they do.

Maybe he changed his mind at the last moment about killing himself. Or he really lost it, I imagine a lot of stuff gets thrown around when you crash a truck.

MUnited83

For you.

Brexit was always close. Trump is a republican, and the race between republicans and democrats is always relatively close.
Neither of those apply to Germany. Even if they somehow had a huge jump in a couple of months (which they won't), the other parties would just band together.
Anybody that is familiar with German politics knows they have no chance.

SilentRob

Then don't.

I have to say, I'm really, really impressed with the reaction of the people living in Berlin to this. Because there is none. Seriously, no one cares. While other cities close down or hold huge rallies in protest, life just goes on exactly as it did before in Berlin. On Tuesday the Christmas markets stayed closed but not because of security concerns, but out of respect for the deceased. They were already open again on Wednesday. Right-wing AFD and NPD tried to stage protests against immigration and only a few dozen people came, I think up to 200 at some point?

I was at Alexanderplatz and Central Station on Tuesday morning, the morning after the attack, and everything was like always. No swarms of police officers patroling the streets with automatic rifles, just as many people running around as always. There already have been several articles about this in german media but I'm not sure if it comes across internationally.

I think this is exactly how it should be. Mourn the dead but do not change your way of life. Berlin is one of the most diverse cities in the world and has been rebuilt out of rubble because of a hateful monster. It really feels like people are absolutely aware of that and just are not impressed by some cunt trying to destroy this with such a senseles attack. This guy, Rayk Anders, put it into words way better than I can but sadly there aren't english subtitles as far as I know.

Fritz

Then don't.

I have to say, I'm really, really impressed with the reaction of the people living in Berlin to this. Because there is none. Seriously, no one cares. While other cities close down or hold huge rallies in protest, life just goes on exactly as it did before in Berlin. On Tuesday the Christmas markets stayed closed but not because of security concerns, but out of respect for the deceased. They were already open again on Wednesday. Right-wing AFD and NPD tried to stage protests against immigration and only a few dozen people came, I think up to 200 at some point?

I was at Alexanderplatz and Central Station on Tuesday morning, the morning after the attack, and everything was like always. No swarms of police officers patroling the streets with automatic rifles, just as many people running around as always. There already have been several articles about this in german media but I'm not sure if it comes across internationally.

I think this is exactly how it should be. Mourn the dead but do not change your way of life. Berlin is one of the most diverse cities in the world and has been rebuilt out of rubble because of a hateful monster. It really feels like people are absolutely aware of that and just are not impressed by some cunt trying to destroy this with such a senseles attack.

Exactly matches my experience. Everybody is basically like: fuck that little shit, we've seen much worse. I am gonna go shopping now.

Fritz

I can assure you that the twelve families of the victims don't think that way.

Are you a family member? Of course it is a tragedy. But nobody wants to extent the pain by faining some direct affection. Nothing is won for the grieving families if the world around them falls apart.

lemmykoopa

Are you a family member? Of course it is a tragedy. But nobody wants to extent the pain by faining some direct affection. Nothing is won for the grieving families if the world around them falls apart.

I know, but the picture of an indifferent Berlin that you're drawing right now kinda irks me the wrong way. The attack itself was fucked up but the way how it was allowed to happen is equally fucked up. This should keep people busy and not just shrugging their shoulders.

Fritz

I know, but the picture of an indifferent Berlin that you're drawing right now kinda irks me the wrong way. The attack itself was fucked up but the way how it was allowed to happen is equally fucked up. This should keep people busy and not just shrugging their shoulders.

It shouldn't irk you. Berlin is level headed. There is no lack of sympathy for the victims nor reluctance to address the causes. The thing is people will not fall for terror tactics and loose their heads.

cyba89

People not letting their personal lives be affected by terrorists doesn't mean they feel indifferent towards the victims of this tragedy. That's why the Christmas markets in Berlin got closed for a day after the incident. Out of respect for the dead.

Violet_0

Banned
have they already put up roadblocks around the other Christmas markets? And I'm surprised that they didn't increase the police presence

There's no roadblocks or increased police presence at the christmas market in my town (Rostock). I don't think my hometown is big enough to be a target for any terror attack, though. *fingers crossed*

The guy was on a terrorist watch list and followed from March until September. Now get this. During that time he:

- Tried to find people to carry out a terrorist attack, according to an intelligence report in the hands of newspaper Bayerische Rundfunk.
- Tried to get automatic guns from French Islamic extremists.
- Offered himself to carry out a suicide attack, but this was worded too vaguely to arrest him apparently.
- Was associated with drug trafficking in Berlin.

But they stopped watching him in September, because there was no reason (wtf!) anymore to continue the surveillance.

He was set to be deported two times from Germany, but they couldn't. So he got temporary identification papers that people get when they need to be deported, but can't - and these are the papers they found in the truck. There are 200.000 of such cases in Germany at the moment.

If people like this can't even be locked up or at least restricted to an asylum center for the duration of their stay, you can see how there are a few worries going around whether Germany is up to the task of handling all the people they welcomed over the past years.

Forsete

The guy was on a terrorist watch list and followed from March until September. Now get this. During that time he:

- Tried to find people to carry out a terrorist attack, according to an intelligence report in the hands of newspaper Bayerische Rundfunk.
- Offered himself to carry out a suicide attack, but this was worded too vaguely to arrest him apparently.

But they stopped watching him in September, because there was no reason (wtf!) anymore to continue the surveillance.

He was set to be deported two times from Germany, but they couldn't. So he got temporary identification papers that people get when they need to be deported, but can't - and these are the papers they found in the truck. There are 200.000 of such cases in Germany at the moment.

If people like this can't even be locked up or at least restricted to an asylum center for the duration of their stay, you can see how there are a few worries going around whether Germany is up to the task of handling all the people they welcomed over the past years.

There you go. Europe, and its laws are not designed to handle the amount of people that need to be deported and detained. Hopefully, things will change very fast (though, the realist in me says they wont) and the people that should be deported should be so swiftly.

Audioboxer

And some still act like there is zero discussion to be had at all and you are deplorable for even suggesting it or some right wing breitbart sympathiser.

The more that unfolds around this tragedy the worse the mishandling of this terrorist is. People are still grieving and need some damn time but the German government and the EU does have some answering to do.

Not to mention the killer is still on the loose.

Audioboxer

Got a none Bild source for that?

It's not really a pleasant watch anyway. Nothing too graphic but unsettling, sad and pretty depressing.

Not that I'm saying it could be pleasant. More it's not worth watching. It doesn't help or show anything in anyway to further an investigation. Just a clip of when the truck was used to attack.

Eggiem

There's no roadblocks or increased police presence at the christmas market in my town (Rostock). I don't think my hometown is big enough to be a target for any terror attack, though. *fingers crossed*

I saw some police buses in front of the shopping mall (KTC) yesterday. They also increased the number of civil policemen,which I think is a good precaution. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom