• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They should've replaced Stan with that half shark, half anaconda guy and he should've died in this episode. At least then we would've understood why Frank is so upset and we would've actually knew who the hell got killed.

It would've also made Frank more suspicious of Blake on whatever he's doing behind Frank's back.

So what's the overall consensus for this season so far? I've been waiting to binge-watch it, but I get the impression that this is a major step down from season 1, correct?

So what's the overall consensus for this season so far? I've been waiting to binge-watch it, but I get the impression that this is a major step down from season 1, correct?

For me it's a definite step down, sorta frustrating because it could be way better, but still pretty okay. I look forward to each episode.

Personally, I would not recommend it to anyone that has or has not watched True Detective season 1. If they haven't seen TD season 1, I would tell them to watch that. if they have seen TD season 1, I would tell them to watch a different tv show, movie, book, album, or to go outside for a walk.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Did three of us just make back to back comments about Lera Lynn at the same time?

Dt5sMkm.gif

Haha how the fuck

railGUN

Banned
I can deal with the cheesy lines, the confusing plot, the slow pacing... But that oversized moon in the last shot of the episode last week - that's where I draw the line.

Oh come on, people. It's as though most of you aren't even trying to pay attention.

I've been in this thread since the première, and I think I've been more critical of the show than anyone else in here, but I can still pay attention.

Bezzerides and Woodrugh found the blue diamonds in Caspere's safe-deposit box. They're blue diamonds, so they're extremely rare. They weren't looking for them. They just happened upon them.

For something like that, if you own it legally, there's going to be a record of it someway, through authenticity or insurance or something. Caspere had no record, and the only record of ownership prior to Caspere's undocumented ownership, as we found out in last night's episode, was by a couple in 1992.

As we found out, that couple was brutally murdered, and their house was looted. The couple had two kids, the ones from the photo Woodrugh showed to the retired cop. The kids saw the people who murdered their parents and looted the house, but those people were wearing masks. Sound similar?

It just seems all so pointless. So needlessly complex.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173113892&postcount=5118

Compared to season 1, it is utter garbage in every way. But, stand alone, had season 1 never existed I would have thought it was a high production level TV show that made no sense, but the shots and scenes are all pretty good... It just doesn't make a lick of sense, the characters are stupid, and the writing is terrible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173113892&postcount=5118

Compared to season 1, it is utter garbage in every way. But, stand alone, had season 1 never existed I would have thought it was a high production level TV show that made no sense, but the shots and scenes are all pretty good... It just doesn't make a lick of sense, the characters are stupid, and the writing is terrible.

This is pretty mind-blowing to read as someone who has yet to watch a single episode from the second season.

How does such a drop-off in quality happens when the same dude is writing?

Kadayi

Banned
Tense stuff throughout.

2999374-8194131681-dont-.jpg

Narrative is no more obscure than The Wire or Deadwood in terms of understanding what's going on. Like season one it demands you pay attention to what is unfolding.

"Cross that off the bucket list.. A Mexican standoff with actual Mexicans."

lol

It was better when Eastbound & Down did it.

This post is pure gold

4ANOqae.gif

This season is NOWHERE near as bad as some of you are making out.

It's not like it's us. Look at...well, basically ANY television critic/review site. I agree, there is some hyperbole, but this show is both helped and undercut by the "True Detective" mantle.

Deku Tree

I don't understand the "the plot doesn't make sense" comments.

The show is often boring, and so it's hard to pay attention, and you are probably surfing GAF instead of watching parts of the show.....

...but if you pay attention the plot certainly "makes sense". It's just boring too frequently.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is pretty mind-blowing to read as someone who has yet to watch a single episode from the second season.

How does such a drop-off in quality happens when the same dude is writing?

Well, you can spend years coming up with an idea for a first season, getting notes, etc. and then you make it. And then instead of relying on the normal crutches would one to alleviate the production crunch that comes with a second season (see: a writers' room!), he decided to try to write an entirely new season with new characters with a new premise (which is hard as is!) under the time constraints of going from production on one season to a second almost entirely by himself.

I think there's a bit of hyperbole running around with people wanting to see Pizzaman taken down a peg (granted, that was of his own making) and the highs that people revered TD season 1, but man, this season is rouuuuuugh.

Indeed. It veers from above average to fantastic, mostly towards the latter in these back half episodes.

It's had its occasional bad moment and silly instances of dialogue here and there for sure but man, I just don't understand so many people thinking this is worst ever TV we're witnessing here. The hyperbole is staggering.

Kadayi

Banned
It's not like it's us. Look at...well, basically ANY television critic/review site. I agree, there is some hyperbole, but this show is both helped and undercut by the "True Detective" mantle.

I've read quite a few reviews of this episode and I haven't yet come across any damning the show as 'unwatchable' or' worst show evar!!'. Yet the way some people talk here you'd think Nic Pizzolato had personally walked into their living room and dropped a deuce on the coffee table.

Well, you can spend years coming up with an idea for a first season, getting notes, etc. and then you make it. And then instead of relying on the normal crutches would one to alleviate the production crunch that comes with a second season (see: a writers' room!), he decided to try to write an entirely new season with new characters with a new premise (which is hard as is!) under the time constraints of going from production on one season to a second almost entirely by himself.

That part I agree with. (It should be noted there was a second writer on this episode IIRC). I think more writers need to be involved going forward with the series in order to add a bit more differential to the voice of the show. It worked OK with the smaller cast in season 1, but its been less successful with the larger cast of season 2. Still not a trainwreck though (unlike say the penultimate season of Justified which was all over the shop).

Damn that was a good episode! The sex mansion, along with that music playing in the background reminded me of a Hitman Blood Money level. I've enjoyed the rest of the series but I wish the previous episodes were as strong as this was.

Side note - Ani (I forget the actress' name) don't do much for me normally, but when she's got the black hair. Damn.
truedet1.png

ivysaur12

Banned
I've read quite a few reviews of this episode and I haven't yet come across any damning the show as 'unwatchable' or' worst show evar!!'. Yet the way some people talk here you'd think Nic Pizzolato had personally walked into their living room and dropped a deuce on the coffee table.

Well, this one from Hollywood's biggest trade is particularly damming:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/tim-goodman-you-opt-orgy-811301

The only thing Hollywood loves more than success (financial, unexpected, underdog or otherwise) is a garbage fire of colossal proportions.

Which brings us to the second season of HBO's True Detective, a series that's been critically eviscerated and then, purely for the sake of schadenfreude, "hatewatched" and buzzed about via social media.

Having seen the first four episodes — half the season — I gave up because the show was terrible on almost all fronts, and I personally don't believe in hatewatching anything.

Ah, but Sunday's episode featured an orgy scene (because of course) that had everyone talking — and mocking — and I was dragged back into the fray to assess it and the current state of the show in general.

Well, this shouldn't be too hard — my verdict is: bad and still bad.

While it's not true 100 percent of the time, it certainly is in the case of True Detective: once you opt for the orgy scene, you're pretty much out of ideas. Sunday's episode featured knife-obsessed Ani (Rachel McAdams) going undercover at the orgy (because of course), and if the extensive scenes of her knifing the living crap out of the wooden duct-taped "man" she keeps in her apartment weren't foreshadowing enough for you, then there's not an anvil big enough for your head.

And really, this is the major problem with the second season of True Detective: the writing is awful. Awfully constructed, awfully pretentious, awfully obscure, awfully delivered — though in many instances, the actors are not entirely to blame because they are either (1) poorly matched to the material (particularly Vince Vaughn, who is probably unfairly getting killed over it), or (2) not at fault, since no actor on this planet could make these words work.

It's not really surprising that this season of True Detective has failed to live up to the first season — I detailed many of the early concerns in my review of the show. What's most surprising is the level of failure. It's like the series is relentless in its pursuit of being bad. HBO couldn't have seen this coming, but you have to wonder if they had (a billion) notes for creator Nic Pizzolatto.

Because they certainly should have. And one of them should have been "What the hell is happening here?"

Afrocious

Not everyone watched S2 of Twin Peaks, so it's understandable.

I liked the episode.

I like it as a seperate entity to the first season.

I do feel like the first season set a precedent for spooky goings on in a realistic setting with the occult stuff. The setup of this show with the birdman made me think season 2 was going the same way. It might still be. But I like a mystery to string me along, at this point it feels like we have enough of the pieces.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Damn that was a good episode! The sex mansion, along with that music playing in the background reminded me of a Hitman Blood Money level. I've enjoyed the rest of the series but I wish the previous episodes were as strong as this was.

Side note - Ani (I forget the actress' name) don't do much for me normally, but when she's got the black hair. Damn.
truedet1.png

Rachel McAdams.

She's fine as hell. Especially when she's in those jeans.

But yeah, she was stunning here.

Jenov

I really liked this last episode, one of the best of the season :) The kid scene with Vaughn was weird though and who the hell remembers Stan. Too much time on that one. Looking forward to the last 2 episodes, hoping they'll find a way to tie this all nicely together.

Maybe people would understand what was happening if they didn't stop watching every 5 minutes to make a post about how awful "Pizzaman" is.

Afrocious

Maybe people would understand what was happening if they didn't stop watching every 5 minutes to make a post about how awful "Pizzaman" is.

You'd think that, but the real reason for that is because the show has Frank and his wife talking about nothing every 5 minutes. It's kind of like having six intermissions every episode.

Rachel McAdams.

She's fine as hell. Especially when she's in those jeans.

But yeah, she was stunning here.

Jeez how could I forget her name. I just couldn't be asked to search it. I know, awfully lazy of me. Damn she looked good.

Her scenes in the mansion were fantastic. Like others have mentioned, the music is very oddly placed but to me it added to the tension and fucked up feeling of it all. Great great stuff!

I stopped coming here because of the insufferable posters who hate this show but keep watching because reasons.

It's been a pretty slow ride and tough to understand certain things throughout the season, but it's picked up since the shooting scene in episode 4. This was by far the best episode of the season and one of the best in the entire show. That entire sequence with Ani was terrifying, tense and amazing all into one. One thing they should have actually showed us is who Stan was in the first few episodes however. No one knows or cares about him, and them making it plot point makes it a bit confusing when it shouldn't be. Two lines of dialogue here, and a drink with Vince there is all it would have took. Overall the one thing I wish season 2 had that season 1 had is the past, present and future style. However looking at all the plot points here with so many characters, the season would need to be 12-15 episodes rather than 8 for it all to tie up nicely.

I've been out of things for a week, and I honestly don't feel like putting finger to keyboard to explain reoccurring problems, but I'll just say that episode 5 was weak, and 6 was an upgrade and the peak so far (other than the opening with Farrel and Vaughn, who still stinks, and maybe the choice of song of the drug/alcohol relapse, which I didn't care for). I dunno. Show is still a mess, and this last episode, episode 6 with TWO EPISODES LEFT, just showcase that with better direction and acting moments, the writing appears weaker and weaker.

The show will go on whether we like it or not.

If every show was like the last 20 minutes of this episode I would tune in every week.

They need to cut out their boring personal lives.

Just make it like Mission: Impossible with them doing awesome shit.

Loved the soundtrack choice.

g23

European pre-madonna
I actually like Frank's character the most this season. I feel like every scene he's in is interesting and he has something insightful to say even though it might come off as too pretentious. I mean c'mon its gotta be better than the lines riggins has been given this season..

Blader

I'm pretty interested to see how HBO goes from here. They've already signed Pizzolato for a third year, and he's said three is about as many as he's willing to do, but they can't not be oblivious to all the bad press this season has been can they? In both critical and general viewer acclaim, this year has been a HUGE drop off from what was an enormous prestige show for them last year and I can't see them just sitting on their ass while Pizzolato does S3 on his own devices. Maybe give him an extra year to hone the scripts (and put some distance between this season and the next one)? Or maybe force him to put together a writer's room for S3?

Imm0rt4l

I thought it was meant to show he wouldn't be awful if he did foster a child. Since we had that long scene about his childhood and how he wouldn't adopt.
I suppose you're right. Too bad it's one of the stories nobody cares about though. Maybe they'll make it pay off in the end somehow.

truedet1.png

All I could think of is Jennifer Garner in Alias

I'm pretty interested to see how HBO goes from here. They've already signed Pizzolato for a third year, and he's said three is about as many as he's willing to do, but they can't not be oblivious to all the bad press this season has been can they? In both critical and general viewer acclaim, this year has been a HUGE drop off from what was an enormous prestige show for them last year and I can't see them just sitting on their ass while Pizzolato does S3 on his own devices. Maybe give him an extra year to hone the scripts (and put some distance between this season and the next one)? Or maybe force him to put together a writer's room for S3?

pizza man doesn't read the internet - he 'isn't in the service industry', his own words. Good luck to HBO

Tugatrix

Pizzaman really paid an homage to Noir Movies with sex mansion scene, the music alone top notch.

Now this is the first great episode in the season

Jetman

This is obviously no TD S1, but I'm getting some enjoyment out of it. Colin Farrell is doing a good job with Ray imo, and is the only standout performance of the whole crew. Loved the tense sit down between him and Frank. Also didn't think Ray's confrontation with his wife's real rapist was laughable. Felt pretty true to his character and Farrell acted out Ray's controlled fury pretty well, I thought.

6. Chessani's kids are the pawn shop owners kids. They might even be aware of this. The show this season has a lot of stuff going on about kids and their parents and finding your own path. Chessani's kid was working the parties seemingly without his dad's knowledge. Maybe he wants his own slice of the pie? Why Chessani took on these kids is still a bit loose.

I don't remember this being said at all. Did either of those kids, especially the daughter in the smoking joint, ever mention that they were adopted? I assumed the two kids in that picture Woodrugh was shown were just random (but likely Caspere's murderer's since they have a reason to get payback on him if he was the killer of their parents).

Purple Cheeto said:
7. The white cop guy the now dead Mexican girl was referring to was clearly Velcoro's dead partner. The guy was tailing Woodrugh on working the case on his own (he also went looking for the diamonds). The Vinci PD clearly didn't trust Velcoro to do what they wanted so they had his partner working the case separately.

I don't even remember any partner of Ray being shown. What is the title of the guy who showed up at Ray's house last episode? The one who told him that he couldn't live there anymore and would be evicted? He fit the "skinny white cop" bill the mexican girl mentioned over the phone. Which would just confirm what we already knew - Chessani was implicit in setting the crew up to raid a dangerous cook house.

Top Bottom