• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm pretty interested to see how HBO goes from here. They've already signed Pizzolato for a third year, and he's said three is about as many as he's willing to do, but they can't not be oblivious to all the bad press this season has been can they? In both critical and general viewer acclaim, this year has been a HUGE drop off from what was an enormous prestige show for them last year and I can't see them just sitting on their ass while Pizzolato does S3 on his own devices. Maybe give him an extra year to hone the scripts (and put some distance between this season and the next one)? Or maybe force him to put together a writer's room for S3?

I don't think they'll force to him to do a room, even though he should -- clearly he needs someone who knows procedurals better than the does (among other types of voices... like someone who can write women like humans). Penny Dreadful is doing one for season 3 because John Morgan is apparently beaten from the work, and I think their small room was expanded for Fargo season 2. It makes sense -- from a production standpoint, it's almost impossible to do run a second season on the same leisurely schedule many cable shows are given in their first schedule.

I bet there'll be more time off between season 2 and 3. I mean, god, I hope they give better notes than whatever they were doing in season 2!

Squalor

I don't remember this being said at all. Did either of those kids, especially the daughter in the smoking joint, ever mention that they were adopted? I assumed the two kids in that picture Woodrugh was shown were just random (but likely Caspere's murderer's since they have a reason to get payback on him if he was the killer of their parents).
Because that was neither ever stated nor hinted at in any way. That guy is talking out of his ass. His post has so much misinformation.
I don't even remember any partner of Ray being shown. What is the title of the guy who showed up at Ray's house last episode? The one who told him that he couldn't live there anymore and would be evicted? He fit the "skinny white cop" bill the mexican girl mentioned over the phone. Which would just confirm what we already knew - Chessani was implicit in setting the crew up to raid a dangerous cook house.
Are you serious? Ray's original partner was Teague Dixon, the crooked, alcoholic cop who took a bullet to the brain in the episode-four shootout.

The guy who showed up at his house was Lt. Burris, his immediate boss.

Honestly, you guys aren't even trying. I strongly dislike this season, but I'm having no trouble following.

Teague was the chubby old guy that during a gun scene he was like "lol no cover fire needed fucking n00bzz" and like died instantly right?

Yep.

True detective, the show that makes video games seem incredibly realistic in comparison.

That infiltration in the finale was a plethora of stupid, Chuck had less ridiculous scenarios than that, CHUCK.

The erasers clapping line McAdams' sister said to her was a tit-for-tat personal jab about bad habits. She was talking about her smoking habit, which at the beginning of the show she's obviously trying to kick with e-cigs. It wasn't that hard to figure out.

I still don't know what it means. What does "erasers clapping" have to do with it? The sound? The dust? Dust from her vagina because she doesn't fuck anyone? Dust from her vagina because she only likes anal? Dust from her butt?

Does she smoke so much that she literally farts smoke?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So the
Burris = Birdman
line of reasoning has been well established for a few weeks. It was based on some weird logic, but a lot of what was mentioned last night supports it.

What I have not seen mentioned:
Are the children orphaned by the 1992 jewel heist Caspere's Secretary and the set photographer from the movie? She started working for him a few months before his death. He knew about the parties. They match the age and outward visual ethnicity of the children (saw one mention elsewhere of them being Chessani's kids... which makes no sense). To me it looks like reclaiming stolen diamonds and shutting down an extortion ring combined to give Caspere a really horrible end. He was tortured to find out more about the contents of the hard drive, and I'm betting the woman in the shed was tortured for largely the same reason.

Were there any hints as to who was being tortured in the shed? Thought it was going to be the Mexican sister at first but then they found her at the party.

Squalor

What I have not seen mentioned: Are the children orphaned by the 1992 jewel heist Caspere's Secretary and the set photographer from the movie? She started working for him a few months before his death. He knew about the parties. They match the age and outward visual ethnicity of the children (saw one mention elsewhere of them being Chessani's kids... which makes no sense). To me it looks like reclaiming stolen diamonds and shutting down an extortion ring combined to give Caspere a really horrible end. He was tortured to find out more about the contents of the hard drive, and I'm betting the woman in the shed was tortured for largely the same reason.
Why ask something that can't be answered yet? Just posit it as a possibility.

Neither the ages nor the appearances are similar. The girl from the photo was "about six" in 1992. Caspere's assistant was in her early-twenties or, at the oldest, late-twenties. That doesn't match at all.

Also, the kids in the photograph have an olive complexion. The secretary and the set photographer are straight-up white.
Were there any hints as to who was being tortured in the shed? Thought it was going to be the Mexican sister at first but then they found her at the party.
None that I can think of since I don't think we have had any news about another missing female.

RaidenZR

I still don't know what it means. What does "erasers clapping" have to do with it? The sound? The dust? Dust from her vagina because she doesn't fuck anyone? Dust from her vagina because she only likes anal? Dust from her butt?

Does she smoke so much that she literally farts smoke?

If you clap erasers in front of you a huge smoke cloud will be created and people will cough. Smoking generates smoke and makes people cough. What's not to get?

The show has some dumb lines but this isn't one of them.

iddqd

That Stan thing has become my favorite running joke.
I really enjoyed the beginning of this Season but I'm just dumbfounded by the narrative at this point.

If a Season had a lot more episodes to work with, fine.
But with only two hours left.. what the what?

Squalor

If you clap erasers in front of you a huge smoke cloud will be created and people will cough. Smoking generates smoke and makes people cough. What's not to get?

The show has some dumb lines but this isn't one of them.
Except it's definitely Athena's saying Antigone is uptight and sexually repressed.

The conversation happened after Antigone threw a fit about Athena's cam shows. Athena doesn't think there's anything wrong with them. They're just a form of sexual freedom. It's the same stance Mr. Bezzerides took.

Antigone doesn't think so. At the same time, we, the audience, know it's a misrepresentation of Antigone because she has had a rather active sex life. It's just not something her sister would know because they aren't close, and Antigone is very closed off. It's dramatic irony.

And the line was still dumb.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
That Stan thing has become my favorite running joke.
I really enjoyed the beginning of this Season but I'm just dumbfounded by the narrative at this point.

If a Season had a lot more episodes to work with, fine.
But with only two hours left.. what the what?
The reasonable explanation for Stan at this point is that Caspere spilled his name during torture as being a part of the blackmail. Blake is unharmed and continuing to work the parties because he had nothing to do with it, and probably didn't even know about it. Stan seems like the sort that would have been hired muscle to make sure blackmail victims comply. But they didn't feature him enough before the character died for anyone to really give a shit, or find it interesting that he (could have) worked with Caspere. It's pretty clear at this point that Frank has very little control over what his outfit does during off hours.

Wow two actual good episodes in a row. Vince Vaughn and Farrell were excellent this episode. Doesn't change the first half of the season was absolute garbage, but I'm now officially optimistic for the rest of the season. Also glad they tied up the gay and kid plotlines so that the main story gets more time, if for nothing else than the first episodes seemed so all over the place. They just need to stick to something, whether it's the case or whatever.

RaidenZR

Except it's definitely Athena's saying Antigone is uptight and sexually repressed.

The conversation happened after Antigone threw a fit about Athena's cam shows. Athena doesn't think there's anything wrong with them. They're just a form of sexual freedom. It's the same stance Mr. Bezzerides took.

Antigone doesn't think so. At the same time, we, the audience, know it's a misrepresentation of Antigone because she has had a rather active sex life. It's just not something her sister would know because they aren't close, and Antigone is very closed off. It's dramatic irony.

And the line was still dumb.

As I said before, my interpretation was that the line was a quick, personal jab in exchange for another. The kind of passive aggressive shit that siblings do all the time (I know I do with my brother). I didn't take away a sexual read from it, but maybe I'm a moron, or just mileage may vary.

RedAssedApe

Banned
re: stan

just like the first time around.

tiYwvhH.gif

Squalor

As I said before, my interpretation was that the line was a quick, personal jab in exchange for another. The kind of passive aggressive shit that siblings do all the time (I know I do with my brother). I didn't take away a sexual read from it, but maybe I'm a moron, or just mileage may vary.
The smoking interpretation literally makes no sense.

Besides, Antigone was using an e-cig at that point in time. It's a misnomer reference to Antigone's dry vagina.

And, again, if you ignore the context—the fact that Antigone was criticizing Athena's sexual expression—you're going to misinterpret it.

RaidenZR

The smoking interpretation literally makes no sense.

Besides, Antigone was using an e-cig at that point in time. It's a misnomer reference to Antigone's dry vagina.

And, again, if you ignore the context—the fact that Antigone was criticizing Athena's sexual expression—you're going to misinterpret it.

Either way, the take away is the same. They are tit-for-tatting and just being mean to each other. You sound like you just figured it out for yourself, didn't you? What's the problem?

Squalor

Either way, the take away is the same. They are tit-for-tatting and just being mean to each other. You sound like you just figured it out for yourself, didn't you? What's the problem?
No one asked why they said mean things to each other. Literally no one. You keep bringing that up as if anyone were confused about that. That was never a topic of conversation.

Kinyou

Really weird episode for me, because I actually kind of loved the first half. Ray confronting Frank. Ray and his fucked up relation to his kid, his breakdown. Good stuff

And then we go to weird orgy house where I'm not quite sure why Ani would even infiltrate it. And apparently we learned that she was molested as a kid, but all of that didn't click with me

I suppose I'd like the show much more if it was just about fucked up Ray

Really weird episode for me, because I actually kind of loved the first half. Ray confronting Frank. Ray and his fucked up relation to his kid, his breakdown. Good stuff

And then we go to weird orgy house where I'm not quite sure why Ani would even infiltrate it. And apparently we learned that she was molested as a kid, but all of that didn't click with me

cause she's good looking and young

would be really awkward if she was old and out of shape

CONVENIENT

I suppose I'd like the show much more if it was just about fucked up Ray

i feel like it was about ray primarily and then woodrow and antagonist were written as a reaction to season 1 criticism

RaidenZR

No one asked why they said mean things to each other. Literally no one. You keep bringing that up as if anyone were confused about that. That was never a topic of conversation.

Okay, I really don't care that much. I didn't agree with the confusion of the line when it was pointed out in the article and how they felt the need to redirect to reddit from inside of it. That seemed silly and just generating chaos for no reason. You and I differ in how we interpreted it, case closed.

In other episode talk- Ray's son is a piece of a shit. Friends?! Why the fuck would you even fight for custody of that kid? He's done nothing but mope and be sad every single time we see him with Ray anyways... Order your own pizza Ray, and watch some damn baseball if you want. Fuck that kid.

That was a crazy fucking episode. I still don't get the whole Stan thing, or why they killed that Mexican girl (she wasn't a mole or anything from what I recall, but the party was insane. The music made it so much better. Not to mention Velcoro going full meltdown before giving up his kid. Some logical issues aside with the infiltration, and exactly what is the point with Vince Vaughn's character anymore, that's two episodes in a row that this season has picked up back up drastically.

Kinyou

That was a crazy fucking episode. I still don't get the whole Stan thing, or why they killed that Mexican girl (she wasn't a mole or anything from what I recall, but the party was insane. The music made it so much better. Not to mention Velcoro going full meltdown before giving up his kid. Some logical issues aside with the infiltration, and exactly what is the point with Vince Vaughn's character anymore, that's two episodes in a row that this season has picked up back up drastically.
I think it has really gotten a lot better in the second half of the show. Obviously still some glaring problems but overall enjoyable. I'm still not really invested in what happens with the main investigation but I want to know what happens to these characters

i feel like it was about ray primarily and then woodrow and antagonist were written as a reaction to season 1 criticism
Hah, that would be quite something.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Man the whole party section at the end was just silly. What exactly was she planning to do there? Whats up with the keystone cops breaking in with a knife and stuffing files down his pants? That was hilarious. Oh and his line afterwards: "These contracts...there's signatures all over them!" killed me. Yeah most contracts do, buddy.

It feels like they've completely tossed out any attempt to make this season realistic and are now just going for a neo noire/ chinatown angle but its coming up short.

This is obviously no TD S1, but I'm getting some enjoyment out of it. Colin Farrell is doing a good job with Ray imo, and is the only standout performance of the whole crew. Loved the tense sit down between him and Frank. Also didn't think Ray's confrontation with his wife's real rapist was laughable. Felt pretty true to his character and Farrell acted out Ray's controlled fury pretty well, I thought.

I don't remember this being said at all. Did either of those kids, especially the daughter in the smoking joint, ever mention that they were adopted? I assumed the two kids in that picture Woodrugh was shown were just random (but likely Caspere's murderer's since they have a reason to get payback on him if he was the killer of their parents).

I don't even remember any partner of Ray being shown. What is the title of the guy who showed up at Ray's house last episode? The one who told him that he couldn't live there anymore and would be evicted? He fit the "skinny white cop" bill the mexican girl mentioned over the phone. Which would just confirm what we already knew - Chessani was implicit in setting the crew up to raid a dangerous cook house.

No it was not explicitly stated that the kid's are adopted (although I thought there was a line in an earlier episode when Bezerides and Woodrugh visited Chessani's house) but come the fuck on. A boy and a girl who are suddenly very relevant to this case get introduced in episode 6 out of 8. Pizzolato is not a good enough writer for me to believe that they will be anyone but Chessani's kids.

The fat guy who was tailing Woodrugh was from the Vinci PD. I thought he was Velcoro's partner at the start but I could be off on that detail. Either way he was up to something for someone.

who the fuck is stan

stan is the inventor of blue diamonds. his son dun swallowed them in 1992 saddest thing i ever saw on the force in 40 years. good thing this old guy wit bird mask was there but then he was in waaaay 2 dep and ended up on the lost coast dead in a shed. but when you got blackwater investigating im sure it all wraps up nice

I lold hard when we went to stans family, fuck them and stan, seriously, who the fuck was he?! But yea, good episode, 2nd one in a row. Looking forward to the next

Blader

If there's one thing S1 was criticized harshly for, it was its lack of white leading men.

Man the whole party section at the end was just silly. What exactly was she planning to do there? Whats up with the keystone cops breaking in with a knife and stuffing files down his pants? That was hilarious. Oh and his line afterwards: "These contracts...there's signatures all over them!" killed me. Yeah most contracts do, buddy.

Well he was obviously talking about whose signatures they were, not that they were signed at all.

ThAt film noir music though...

This did not work for me at all. The music really caught my attention during the party scene, and I thought "Has the music been this out of place and inappropriate the whole season?" But I'm seeing a lot of comments about it, so it must have been especially noticeable this episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, put me in the camp about the orphans from the robbery being the mayor's kids now AND Lt. Burris being the the skinny tall white cop they were talking about last episode. I'll even throw down that Burris was wearing the bird mask and was the one that shot Velcoro. I think they might have even been hinting at it a little when in the following episode he says "One of my men gets shot, you better believe I'm on site."

~Kinggi~

Banned
The last episode was all over the fucking place. Starts off laying the cheese on thick with shit dialog. Next 30 mins is slow padding. Then the last 15 is some eyes wide shit fever dream shit with an unknown composer from a time machine.

i'm not entirely sure when but at some point this show turned into a middling action movie.

seriously what the fuck was that last 15 minutes? i keep waiting like an idiot for the show to at least return to the sort of off-kilter atmosphere of the first two episodes but it's not happening. i guess i'm enjoying the individual character stories but in general this show is just all over the place.

GtwoK

STAN IS THE MAN

stan the caddy

He once too was a fan.

stan is the inventor of blue diamonds. his son dun swallowed them in 1992 saddest thing i ever saw on the force in 40 years. good thing this old guy wit bird mask was there but then he was in waaaay 2 dep and ended up on the lost coast dead in a shed. but when you got blackwater investigating im sure it all wraps up nice

ah yes I get it now. I understand what has been happening in this season now. the secrets have been revealed

Top Bottom