• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Wonder after all the reactions we're getting a third season or not.

Imagine if the final two episodes are so mind-blowing, everyone starts howling for a third one.

Shit, what if it turns out all the characters are dead and that Birdman is the ferryman, Charon in disguise.

Topper

Yeah, put me in the camp about the orphans from the robbery being the mayor's kids now AND Lt. Burris being the the skinny tall white cop they were talking about last episode. I'll even throw down that Burris was wearing the bird mask and was the one that shot Velcoro. I think they might have even been hinting at it a little when in the following episode he says "One of my men gets shot, you better believe I'm on site."

Just watched it, i agree with this, Burris instantly came to mind when she said skinny white cop, didnt even think about the mayors kids being the two orphans though. I'm enjoying this season so far albeit not as much as season 1.

Dennis

Banned
Wonder after all the reactions we're getting a third season or not.

Imagine if the final two episodes are so mind-blowing, everyone starts howling for a third one.

Shit, what if it turns out all the characters are dead and that Birdman is the ferryman, Charon in disguise.

I am not going to lie. Every episode I wait, and hope, for that complete curve ball that redeems the show.

Birdman had potential but it looks like that got wasted.

I am not going to lie. Every episode I wait, and hope, for that complete curve ball that redeems the show.

Birdman had potential but it looks like that got wasted.

God fucking dammit, Pizzaman. The most compelling aspect of the show and you've done jack shit with it for more than half of the season.

SwolBro

Banned
i keep hearing things like "oh season two was never going to live up to the hype" and even some apologetics because of how much pressure the writer was under.

But yea know what i blame HBO. They should be smart enough (and they are) to know that this season needed some real care, some real care in the writers room, directing department, casting, everywhere.

And they should have given these people time. The season should have been postponed for this. It should have came out in the fall or even the following year. This was rushed and it shows.

It not only hurts the brand, it hurts the actors and definitely the writer.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Holy shit did they drive a lot this episode. Start out in Sonoma, go back to Ventura/LA, back up to Sonoma (and presumably a full night drive back down to LA). Christ.

ApINZg0.jpg

I think I realized what makes a alot of the dialogue so strange during that VV/Ray convo to start the episode. These guys all speak like they are in a western.

Salsa

- I will always be your dad son. I love you. how about some tv?

- we can watch friends. its always on.

- i'll be out of your lives forever. Ill never see him again. please say yes.

Kain

------

lol yeah I noticed that too. Who can blame the guy?

CassSept

The second half of the episode was probably the best part of the season yet. Again, like a week ago, too little too late. Woodrugh is still mostly useless (well, this is the first time he was useful since they needed two people to extract the documents, but besides being a plot device he is still a non-character), Velcoro is still quite entertaining but overly brooding, Ani is still the highlight of the season for me, even if they diminished her character with sexual abuse backstory (which was implied before, but was played straight this ep) and Frank is Frank.

I really enjoyed the orgy scene and unlike some in this thread I liked the music, I thought it fit and enhanced the mood of the party quite well. Hitchcockian seems to be the most appropriate comparison.

Frank is such a misfire though. Could he had been a better character if played by a better actor? I dislike Vince Vaughn but I can't imagine a greater actor pulling off these dreadful lines. Worst of all, he is still mostly disconnected from the main narrative and his plot is simply boring and trite. Even if he is required to give Velcoro additional motivation to involve himself in this case, he could have just as well been a supporting character and wouldn't stand out much, given how many ancillary characters important to the story we have this season. We don't need to dwell much on him. He should have been on the sidelines, used for more characterization of Vinci if Pizzolatto felt so, but instead he rivals Velcoro in screentime with his uninteresting sideplot.

English is my second language and I was so confused at 'When you walk it's like erases clapping' line back few weeks ago. I struggled so hard to make sense of it, looked 'erasers' up in several dictionaries but still, nothing really fit. I'm far from perfect obviously, but it infuriates me when I have no idea what a given phrase means. At least I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

TVexperto

I just watched the pilot episode, I really liked it, but some of those reactions in here make wonder if I should continue watching.

Collin is really good, cant believe he actually drove to that kids house.

deleted

This feels so incoherent to me. By now I feel like the writing and the direction are clashing. Hard. Like the writer couldn't communicate what tone he wanted to get across and the director went with all the conventional police series stuff when it should have been something entirely else.

The dialog may have worked a lot better if they went a lot more Noire visually. More tropes from the genre. More night time, more voice overs, similar atmosphere like in the bar scenes. Set during winter maybe.

Especially the voice overs. If they went in a similar direction as season 1, with Velcoro and McAdams telling the story of the case several years after, with time zones drifting in and out while the characters talk, it would flow a lot better and maybe even sound better.
Think about the shootout with the drug guys told from Velcoros perspective introduced with a scene similar to the ending of episode 3 in season 1..

That said, I'm finally at a point were I care about the characters. Especially in this episode, with the angst stuff dialed way down and the story moving a bit forward finally. There are so many character motivations and actions that don't make sense though. At all. Especially with the tone all over the place. Some stuff would work if they aimed for a lot more pulp, some stuff would work if aimed for more realism. As of now, they get neither tone right and therefore a lot of scenes fall flat. I hope they go more pulp and go with the once rumored story of New York subway mystery. That has a lot of potential and feels appropriately dark for Pizzamans dialog.

El Daniel

Taylor Kitsch has been auditioning for the lead in The Marine 5 in these last 2 episodes.

That brings back nightmares. Couple of months ago I was supposed to watch a movie with my uncle and cousin. My uncle said: I've got some great movies; Birdman, Nightcrawler and The Marine 4!"

Despite my efforts to watch a different movie we eventually watched Marine 4.

Paganmoon

Do you guys typically continue watching shows you dislike?

Usually want to get closure, very rarely do I drop shows (I stuck around for all season of Heroes...).

Personally, if they'd have someone else instead of Vince Vaughn, and dialed down on the "deep" dialog some, it would've been a better season. Parts of the script read like something Jaden Smith would tweet.

And I had to Google who the hell Stan was as well.

Edit: I should add, I didn't think Season 1 was that good to begin with.

it's 8 episodes.. not a huge investment

there's no other TV shows worth watching right now except rectify

it's fascinating in its ambitious failure

people who get defensive about criticism of this season never seem able to say what they like about it.. just "its not THAT bad guys"

bomma_man

Rad looking party.

What was with the music during the infiltration?

Vince's delivery of that Mexican line looooool.

Also pizzaman has obviously never done E, not every drug has the same effects as acid in movies.

Jetman

Are you serious? Ray's original partner was Teague Dixon, the crooked, alcoholic cop who took a bullet to the brain in the episode-four shootout.

I know who Dixon is, but he's Rays old partner? I don't remember that being mentioned, and never hear them talk about the past or anything.

Squalor said:
The guy who showed up at his house was Lt. Burris, his immediate boss.

Ah ok.

Squalor said:
Honestly, you guys aren't even trying. I strongly dislike this season, but I'm having no trouble following.

Uhhhhh, ok. I've seen you say this a few times already here. Want a pat on the back or a Gold Star or something? Chill with the superiority thing breh.

Squalor

I know who Dixon is, but he's Rays old partner? I don't remember that being mentioned, and never hear them talk about the past or anything.
Mentioned? It didn't need to be mentioned since they were shown working together before the true defectives even met.

TRios Zen

Just realized that a couple of the breaks in this case are driven by info that Seymon has found, no?

Maybe he's the "True Detective"...

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

I couldn't stop laughing at that. It was as if Al Bundy found out his son liked Friends.

Squalor

Just realized that a couple of the breaks in this case are driven by info that Seymon has found, no?

Maybe he's the "True Detective"...
Not when Blake has been running such serious game behind his back.

Frank went from being his boss to being his side chick.

I think I realized what makes a alot of the dialogue so strange during that VV/Ray convo to start the episode. These guys all speak like they are in a western.

I can see what he is trying to do by injecting some "old time" and/or overtly noirish dialogue into the mix...but it just doesn't work that well. It could be the delivery, but I think it's more that the season itself has so little going for it in terms of tone. Pizza probably wanted to build a rich, multi-faceted atmosphere, but the ONLY feeling I ever get is melancholy and occasional rage.

At this point, I don't really have any other show to watch. Not much else on Sunday nights--the only other show I keep up with (in real time) is Hannibal.

And, like Dennis said, I keep hoping it will correct its course. My roommate, who loves S1 way more than me, has just stopped watching.

I never wanted to dislike this season.

Haha yeah.

"I thought I loved him but nah. But please, promise me, you'll never let him watch How I Met your Mother."

Squalor

True Defective isn't a noir. It's a pulp.

That dialogue isn't noir. It's pulp dialogue.

Pulp media can still be "gritty" and "hard nosed." It's just a lot more bombastic and trashier than noir.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

Pulp media can still be "gritty" and "hard nosed." It's just a lot more bombastic and trashier than noir.

And then they drive off into a giant fake moonrise which made it clear to me at least that they've completely resigned themselves to the pulpy/stylized noir approach.

big ander

i mean, it's not like there's a clean divide between pulp and noir.

A lot of the writing this season reminds me of Spillane, for instance. Mike Hammer's adventures were pulpy as hell, but they absolutely also had the elements of crime fiction that would be transported into film noir.

Squalor

i mean, it's not like there's a clean divide between pulp and noir.

A lot of the writing this season reminds me of Spillane, for instance. Mike Hammer's adventures were pulpy as hell, but they absolutely also had the elements of crime fiction that would be transported into film noir.
It might not be a "clean" or clear divide, but you know it when you see it.

This is too trashy for noir.

Top Bottom