• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

GavinUK86

You know what, every time the intro music plays I fucking hate it, now here I am, singing it in my head and humming along. God dammit.

Palpable

I was disappointed to see Woodrugh shot dead.

But seriously... how the shit did Burris know where to wait for him to exit, or even that he would escape? "These tunnels run under the whole city!"

allftw

Neo Member
So I think I have most of the plot figured out but I still don't understand why Dixon got stuck being a regular cop after the riots and why he walked into the shootout in ep4. Anyone able to understand that part?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I like how a main character died and almost none of the posts since then even bring it up. There were more discussion about Stan dying,

I like how a main character died and almost none of the posts since then even bring it up. There were more discussion about Stan dying,

Because let's be honest, the guy was the least developed out of the three. His backstory took a backseat to the stache, the pizza son and the daddy issues

If Velcoro had died we'd probably all be a bit more upset.

Squalor

So I think I have most of the plot figured out but I still don't understand why Dixon got stuck being a regular cop after the riots and why he walked into the shootout in ep4. Anyone able to understand that part?
He showed up to "work" drunk all the time. He didn't do much. He was still probably getting paid under the table, too.

We don't have all the answers, yet. He still moved on to Vinci. If he were getting that screwed, he wouldn't have gone. Of course, maybe he was getting fed up with his lot in life, which is why he was looking for the diamonds.
Because let's be honest, the guy was the least developed out of the three. His backstory took a backseat to the stache, the pizza son and the daddy issues

It's not that he's the least developed. The development overall is so poor, it's pretty hard to actually rank them. Aside from his strained relationship with his mother and his homosexuality, there hasn't been much of an information dump about him. They haven't really gone into any of the Black Mountain stuff. We've had plenty of exposition for everyone else.

I'm upset Paul's dead, though. The train-tunnels scene was pure badassery.

jett

D-Member
u r wrong

tumblr_nqtrlzGaPt1rpntiho1_1280.gif

This show would've gone down a much more interesting part if:

1.- Farrell had actually died there.
2.- The Birdman Conspiracy had played a larger role in the show.

But nope, it has just been shit since.

Deku Tree

Woodrugh was possibly the worst main character that I have come across in a cop show in recent memory. The repressed homosexual thing would have been more intriguing 20-30 years ago not in 2015. He contributed nothing to the show or to the plot development. His black-ops background lead to no good fight scenes. His death was a waste of ten or so minutes of the show that also was essentially meaningless. The show probably could have been a lot better if they spent more time elsewhere and totally erased the Woodrugh character from the script. Nothing would have been lost.

Einchy

Woodrugh was possibly the worst main character that I have come across in a cop show in recent memory. The repressed homosexual thing would have been more intriguing 20-30 years ago not in 2015. He contributed nothing to the show or to the plot development. His black-ops background lead to no good fight scenes. His death was a waste of ten or so minutes of the show that also was essentially meaningless. The show probably could have been a lot better if they spent more time elsewhere and totally erased the Woodrugh character from the script. Nothing would have been lost.

I agree with you guys completely.

I was just saying that it shows how little people were invested in him that one of the most "shocking" moments in the season has sparked zero discussion.

When a character dies in Game of Thrones, people lose their shit for about a week straight. When Woodrugh died, everyone didn't even bat an eye.

Imm0rt4l

I was disappointed to see Woodrugh shot dead.

But seriously... how the shit did Burris know where to wait for him to exit, or even that he would escape? "These tunnels run under the whole city!"
To be fair Paul's lover did say he had eyes on him all over before heading underground. But it was convenient, not something worth getting hung up in imo.

SSPssp

I agree with you guys completely.

I was just saying that it shows how little people were invested in him that one of the most "shocking" moments in the season has sparked zero discussion.

When a character dies in Game of Thrones, people lose their shit for about a week straight. When Woodrugh died, everyone didn't even bat an eye.

Yeah, I was sad for a second, but I don't really care about any of the characters enough to think about it after the episode is over. Whereas I'm still hoping that (Game of Thrones Season 5 Finale Spoiler)
Jon Snow is somehow resurrected. Pls GRRM.

Yeah, I was sad for a second, but I don't really care about any of the characters enough to think about it after the episode is over. Whereas I'm still hoping that (Game of Thrones Season 5 Finale Spoiler)
Jon Snow is somehow resurrected. Pls GRRM.

You must be on a media blackout because news/paparazzis have given away the answer lol

Man, if they just had it so that Birdman was hunting down all members of these various conspiracies like a proper vigilante, would have been way better.

Imagine a scene where Birdman beats the mayor to death with a hammer ala Hotline Miami. So there's this nutty vigilante going around forcing all these corrupt entities to panic and begin to self destruct, with our three protagonists caught in the middle.

Whereas a lot of fiction concentrates on the vigilante, this time we see the cops and crooks losing their shit at this figure that quickly becomes mythic and monolithic in their minds.

Birdman present at the orgy. Accidentally inciting the shoutout and chase. Burning their car. Saving the cops' asses at one point, so none of his actions make risk sense to the cops at the time.

SickBoy

Listen, man. Stan was PURE GOLD. PURE GOLD.

(FWIW, I've been entertained by this season, warts and all.)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I kinda expected at least one of them to die since we have 4 points of focus this season, and three among the police. That being said, I didn't expect for it to happen in this episode. And I was expecting Velcoro to be on his way out (for real this time)

Weevilone

Birdman present at the orgy. Accidentally inciting the shoutout and chase. Burning their car. Saving the cops' asses at one point, so none of his actions make risk sense to the cops at the time.

Imagine a scene where Ani rounds the corner at the orgy all stoned on her Molly and the birdman is doing some prostitute with his mask on and everything..

RS4-

Woodrough dying is fucking trash. Birdman shows up for 30 seconds, and will probably show up for 30 more as some big goddamn reveal.

It'll be Ani's dad or Caspere or some shit like that. Or Ani's sister. Or Chessani's kid.

Squalor

Imagine a scene where Ani rounds the corner at the orgy all stoned on her Molly and the birdman is doing some prostitute with his mask on and everything..
It would have made the orgy interesting at least.

All that hype for that lame-ass orgy.

Written poorly. Directed poorly.

Cels

Frank put Stan on Blake's tail, then Stan ends up murdered. Wouldn't Frank make the connection that it might have been Blake?

Squalor

So are we expecting Jordan to betray Frank?

Her roll has been so garbage and useless to this point, and the actress is listed as a primary.

Is the gay cop dead?

Or will there be a game of thrones style twist - like it was all a dream or hallucination of his.?

This show is annoying me as I cant stop watching but I don't like it. I want to see how bad it gets.

Frank put Stan on Blake's tail, then Stan ends up murdered. Wouldn't Frank make the connection that it might have been Blake?

That's why Blake had Stan's eyes taken out. It seemingly put the blame on whoever killed Casper, and kept Blake in the clear.

Chiggs

Gold Member

Agreed. Episode 3 is where it went downhill for me.

Sober

Maybe Stan in TD S2 is actually a standin for Stannis Baratheon. Nic Pizzolatto just letting us all know in a subtle way what he thought about the events of Game of Thrones season 5.

Einchy

Aside from all the seemingly duplicitous looks she has whenever she's on screen.

If she betrays him then it will be some deus ex machina type shit. She has tried to get him out of crime multiple times so they can just be happy together. She'd never betray him over money and that's the only reason someone in her position would do that.

Squalor

If she betrays him then it will be some deus ex machina type shit. She has tried to get him out of crime multiple times so they can just be happy together. She'd never betray him over money and that's the only reason someone in her position would do that.
You seem to be giving Nic Pizzolatto credit to write characters that make sense and plot points that aren't contrived.

Man, if they just had it so that Birdman was hunting down all members of these various conspiracies like a proper vigilante, would have been way better.

Imagine a scene where Birdman beats the mayor to death with a hammer ala Hotline Miami. So there's this nutty vigilante going around forcing all these corrupt entities to panic and begin to self destruct, with our three protagonists caught in the middle.

Whereas a lot of fiction concentrates on the vigilante, this time we see the cops and crooks losing their shit at this figure that quickly becomes mythic and monolithic in their minds.

Birdman is still going after these people. We don't know the full extent of the plan yet.

Squalor

Yeah, no, we don't need Jason "Bird Mask" Voorhees.

We already got God Mode Paul, anyway.

Yeah, no, we don't need Jason "Bird Mask" Voorhees.

We already got God Mode Paul, anyway.

Yeah we do! That'd be awesome.

tumblr_mlnzccW0EW1qzaj5to1_r1_400.gif

And hell, if S1 was Pizzaman's take on the mythic serial killer and cult, this could be his take on conspiracies and spree killers.

And you could still get God Warrior Paul in this whole mess.

I'll admit I was wrong about the kids from the robbery being Chessani's kids.

At least I was on point about one of them being a character who had already been introduced.

Einchy

At this point, is Birdman even important to the plot? There's a bunch of shady people doing shady shit and one of them got killed. The why and the who for that person dying doesn't seem to matter to anyone besides Frank anymore and after last night's episode he probably doesn't care too much. He's just out for revenge.

True Detective - Season 2 - Everything Is Fucking

I sorta liked that line.

[edit]

It's been months since Birdman did anything.

He probably forgot he killed someone and is out there without a care in the world.

rtcn63

So is Leo (Laura's brother) likely to be the dude who shotgunned Velcro?

I'm hoping his fake identity is revealed to be like the guy who's banging Velcro's wife, Zombie Stan, or maybe even Woodrough himself (no one knows who his dad is, so maybe his mom just took a pay off to raise him).

EDIT: Vaughn's character was an orphan right? Is he too old to fit the timeline?

Top Bottom