• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Kain

Silver lining this season: the opening credits have really grown on me, love the song.

Good episode, and the case seems almost solved. Fuck Woodrough, he was boring.

It's not surprising that people don't like actually having to pay attention compared to the first season where the mystery was solved off camera and ended in random special needs incest.

Attention has to be earned through a gripping mystery, good set-up, engaging characters, good dialogue, good writing and good pacing, not by mumbling off a dozen generic names every now and then, treating characters with barely any screen time as significant and throwing in convoluted subplots.

Silver lining this season: the opening credits have really grown on me, love the song.

Good episode, and the case seems almost solved. Fuck Woodrough, he was boring.

Yeah, I've always loved Cohen, but wasn't sold on it as the intro initially. I really like it now.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Between this show and Game of Thrones, I think I just can't tell white people apart and that's why I get confused by the story. At least with the latter, they killed off half the cast and simplified things.

Stan is definitely the one in the raven mask.

Best part about the series.

pantsmith

"These tunnels go all over LA" (or something along those lines). It really doesn't make sense but it's not a big deal.

Its a labyrinth of pitch black tunnels that Paul has no experience with - its a pretty safe bet he'll take one of of the obvious exits close to where they came down, and not risk getting lost somewhere hes at a huge disadvantage.

Aurongel

Consistently horrible writing. Lets not pretend GoT has good character dialogue either

Game of Thrones is fine on its' own, I marathoned the whole series two weeks ago and found the most vocal critics of it had read the books. My point is that even GoT is leagues more consistent than TDs2 in more departments than just writing.

Back on topic: Intro credits have grown on me too, I like how they've subtley changed over the course of the season.

jett

D-Member
How did these stupid muddafuckaz not make the Laura connection immediately? "True Detectives" indeed.

Honestly I'm surprised that I haven't given up on this show, but hey there's only one episode left at least.

jonezer4

I think being able to just binge watch the whole thing would've helped the season in the long run.

Good God I can barely summon an hour of attention per week for this show; I can't imagine wanting to, or being able to, watch eight hours in succession, regardless of how it could potentially aid my comprehension of the needlessly overwrought plot.

To have a show that's binge-able, it needs to be edge of your seat entertainment. Breaking Bad I easily binged like a fiend because the show was so patently set in a heightened level of reality where it was bigger than life and exaggerated to a degree in order to make it supremely entertaining.

This show, I swear it's less exciting than real life. If Breaking Bad was a hyper reality where surreal stuff could happen in an effort to entertain the audience, this show is like, a sub reality. It's not trying to entertain or intrigue you -- if it accidentally happens, so be it, but it's not actively trying to be entertaining. It's almost testing you -- trying to break you -- how much mundanity can you tolerate? It's almost like it's trying to bring its audience down to the point where they become as drab, lifeless, and jaded as all its characters.

dorn.

Good episode, would have been a great episode 4 in a season that hadn't completely shit the bed in the storytelling department. What I really don't get is how absolutely terrible the pacing/editing is. Even in this otherwise decently paced episode they broke up the Woodrough action scene by splicing in the Ani and Velcoro make-out session for no reason whatsoever.

The whole mansion op+this latest episode would have been perfect at the middle of the season. Just getting hints of whatever Ani went through, we have a face for some of our bad guys, Frank is DOING THINGS.

How did these stupid muddafuckaz not make the Laura connection immediately? "True Detectives" indeed.

Honestly I'm surprised that I haven't given up on this show, but hey there's only one episode left at least.

That's because the True Detectives was us all along.

Nic, you genius son of a gun!

How would they ever make that case?

1. They went into that mansion without a warrant/invitation.

2. Stole documents.

3. Murdered security personnel doing their job

How would this ever stand in court?

Applebite

When they had that lingering shot on dead Paul with the sad music, all I could think was "Man, this sure would have been effective if I had at all cared about this character".

Afrocious

When they had that lingering shot on dead Paul with the sad music, all I could think was "Man, this sure would have been effective if I had at all cared about this character".

I felt that scene was well done in showing how merciless Frank was by watching the man die out. The camera lingered on Paul as writhed and spat out blood. Kind of like watching a bug die slowly from poison where it twitches for a while, then stops.

jett

D-Member
That's because the True Detectives was us all along.

Nic, you genius son of a gun!

pizzamayne :bow

I had to use the internet just to figure out who this Stan guy was, that everyone keeps talking about.

You didn't know who Stan "The Man" was? For shame.

I'm sure this is what everything was thinking about.

Sober

I don't find the story confusing at all, I just find it really poorly told. It seems like the show doesn't know what to focus on, and as such nothing engages the viewer and it just becomes either repetitive character "development", or pointless case exposition. Instead of making the show about detectives investigating a case and piecing things together, the show has attempted to make it a character drama that happens to be about detectives.

That's fine if the character drama is any good, it's not. But even then, that's fine if at least the show consistently wants to be about that all the way through. But instead towards the tail end of the story here, they clearly feel there is a need to tie things up and connect the dots. So the dots are being connecting. The problem is, the audience has never had any reason to really be interested in following the case, so it just comes off as a huge plot dump with people asking "who" whenever a new name pops up.

The thing is, none of these names are new, and I could follow what's going on fine. It just... isn't interesting. So basically a few things have been going on in this conspiracy:

- In the 90s a bunch of corrupt LA cops staged a burglary where they killed two people and stole a bunch of diamonds.

- This made them very rich and allowed them to buy into an elite group of corrupt politicians and businessmen in the state area.

- When the high speed rail project came along, one of them being the city manager in Vinci decided to use his stolen wealth to invest into a large land scam.

- With the help of local criminal elements, they also abetted in poisoning some parts of the land so it can be sold off cheap to certain holding companies involved in the scam.

That's what the entire case is basically about. It's not really super complex, and some of the elements are actually pretty intriguing and would make for a good state wide investigation. It's just too bad that the show every really focused on any of it in interesting ways, or cared to make the show about engaging investigation and watching detectives join the dots. Instead what we get are a bunch of scenes where people get drunk and whine about how broken and flawed they are, and then put everything together in info dump scenes when they need the "plot" to move forward. Zzzzzzzzz.
I think Pizzalatto wanted to avoid the trope where revelations about the case come about during character development scenes - you see this in basically every network procedural.

The problem is that the way he's done it basically proves he probably doesn't know how the go around this trope, cause there's almost no connect between the characters investigating the case. That just makes those info dumps about the case even worse. It almost feels like busywork they have to do when they're not interacting/working through their sordid pasts. As for Frank, well...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Gutted.

Could tell it was going to happen though I thought it'd be the black guy.

Great episode.

jond76

Banned
I felt that scene was well done in showing how merciless Frank was by watching the man die out. The camera lingered on Paul as writhed and spat out blood. Kind of like watching a bug die slowly from poison where it twitches for a while, then stops.

No. Paul Woodrugh, the cop.

1369423239959261325.gif

LOL what? Come on pizzaman. At least I actually enjoyed the Vince Vaughn scenes for once.

After the first 3 weak episodes, the series is now worthy of the name I think. There are still many problems but at least I like all the characters, the ending of the latest episodes though... :(

This was Vinnies strongest episode.

Rachel and Colin also did great. The writing is still lulz but a solid performance from everyone all around. Goodbye serious face blowjob bro. We hardly knew ye. Because you had the least development.

Man, that recon mission of theirs was the stupidest thing. Got them made, got the one person on their side able to do anything (the Asst. AG) killed. Girl they saved was a red herring, and will also probably be killed at some point.

GG team.

Also, Blackwater coincidentally working for Catalyst is dumb.

Frank: I'm gonna get Stan to tail Blake

*stan dies*

Frank: Who the fuck would ever want to hurt Stan?

duckroll

Man, that recon mission of theirs was the stupidest thing. Got them made, got the one person on their side able to do anything (the Asst. AG) killed. Girl they saved was a red herring, and will also probably be killed at some point.

GG team.

Also, Blackwater coincidentally working for Catalyst is dumb.

It's all thematic though. The entire season is about people who deliberately make bad life choices and suffer for it. Even the audience is not excluded from this. We choose to continue to watch this, and we suffer for it.

So, this was Vince Vaughn's best episode. And, I was surprised when Farrell got into the car with his superior and she was dead. That caught me off guard.

That said, I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that the gay character eded up a martyr, the platonic cop duo hooked up, and the constant info-dump speeches from characters.

Not the worst episode in the season, not the best, and at least the pace was brisk. I'm still a bit shocked by how redundant and unnecessary Kitsch's character had been, and the extreme conservatism of the show's stance on sex. If feels quite regressive for something in 2015 from HBO.

It really does seem like someone wrote a murder mystery trilogy of novels and they hacked it up into 8 episodes.

Yeah, the more I think on what bothers me most about this season, being too fast paced for the show it's trying to be, I keep thinking back to the scene with Frank and Ray in the bar. The one where they're drinking the bottle of scotch and Ray just keeps gulping it down.
Frank: "You're supposed to savor it."
Ray: "Let me give that another shot... 'gulp'"

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Why ask something that can't be answered yet? Just posit it as a possibility.

Neither the ages nor the appearances are similar. The girl from the photo was "about six" in 1992. Caspere's assistant was in her early-twenties or, at the oldest, late-twenties. That doesn't match at all.

Also, the kids in the photograph have an olive complexion. The secretary and the set photographer are straight-up white.
u r wrong

tumblr_nqtrlzGaPt1rpntiho1_1280.gif

Rymuth

Just finished watching it and then proceeded to read TV.com's review. This bit made me holler out in laughter.

Last but not least, my dog, Stan! Man, what another amazing episode for the legacy of Stan, right? Wait, sorry. I meant Frank.

Them dropping Stan's name in this episode proved to me, without a shadow of a doubt, there is a far more amazing show out there called "Stan, Man with a Plan" but we'll never get to see it.

What a dynamic character.

Afrocious

I wonder if we'll ever get a reason for melting Caspare's eyes out and Birdman driving him out to the middle of nowhere like he did.

You'd think it would be easier to shoot him unless it was torture that killed him, which I forget if it was or not.

Then there was those parts where Frank saw those water stains everywhere. That was dropped faster than Stan.

Top Bottom