• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I don't think it's necessary to have a feel-good ending to every story, but holy fuckballs, I've never seen a show that ends with such little closure and treats its characters so fucking dreadfully for no real reason.

It's like everything great from the finale of season 1 was inverted simply to claim that the show isn't predictable or based on a template.

I thought the finale was a lot better than the first season which randomly went into total camp territory. Many of the things that happened were properly foreshadowed and the lead characters went out like bitches because of their silly machismo and got nothing out of it. Much better than Breaking Bad where
Walter's hilariously silly plan worked out and he got to go out in a blaze of glory.

Similarly in the end while a few of the villains ended up getting killed the perpetrators at large got away with it. Although at least in this case there's a chance of the evidence they found getting turned into a story.

LaneDS

Well that was terrible. Maybe even worse than I was expecting, because I bought into the PR about how the series had as good an ending that HBO has ever done.

Whole thing felt like a waste of time with no meaningful development or revelation along the way.

kingocfs

I don't ever really hate-watch shows, this is the first time I've done it and it was purely on the merits of last season.

It was a boring, convoluted mess. How can anyone call this season "good" by any stretch? I had high hopes for Vaughn and he flopped right out of the gate. No chemistry between any of the characters. Awful stereotypes. A simple story told so, so poorly.

Such a letdown.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Really like how the boat was named "GREAT ESCAPE". Subtle and symbolic like the rest of the season.

Deku Tree

Terrible. Just terrible. Kept watching just to see if things would improve. Entire season was a letdown for me.
the last episode would have been much better if it was just 60 minutes long. A lot of that could have been easily cut. Boring fluff that added nothing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The feeling of hopelessness was already creeping up last episode.

I knew more characters were gonna die. Didn't expect both Frank and Ray.

Good season. Very depressing and cynical tone was consistent across every episode.

Kind of reminded me of Ridley Scott's The Counselor.

The feeling of hopelessness was already creeping up last episode.

I knew more characters were gonna die. Didn't expect both Frank and Ray.

Good season. Very depressing and cynical tone was consistent across every episode.

Kind of reminded me of Ridley Scott's The Counselor.

Apparently, not a lot of people liked this movie, even though it had a 'shocking' ending.

Gin

Just finished the finale.. My God.. What a letdown

What the fuck happened to this show. Season 1 was God tier.. Season 2 is just some bullshit

Reminds me of dragon age 1 to dragon age 2: return of shit mountain

Vince Vaughn trying to convince his wife about leaving, but everytime they focus the camera at him is like he's about to burst out laughing

Ray sees device under the car. Realized there's 30 more mins to the show. Drives out to the woods.
- A logical man would have walked away.
So Frank needs to get stabbed so he can have his visions.
- A logical man would have just given that suit

its like after the heist the creators realized they have another 45 mins to fill. Also it seemed the death of the two is needed to create a tragic end, but it made it cliche.

Finale wasn't bad. I actually enjoyed it, but making Frank go out like that was horrible. The guy is literally untouchable the entire season, but bleeds out from one stab wound in the desert? He should have at least taken out a few Mexicans, or at minimum killed the one with the hat, that killed his witness.

I actually enjoyed the most of the first 7 episodes. I didn't really like how the finale started, and when Frank and Ray turned into Special Forces with their gas masks, I definitely thought "that's it, I'm out." My wife, who was quiet all episode, said "this is dumb" in the middle of the scene.

Sanjuro

4L546o2.jpg

naib

Pretty fucking dramatic ending as a new father. That just recently reached out to his own father for the first time in 20+ years.

Feels.

Lunar FC

Better finale than the first season which isnt saying a lot. The salute scene was great and I was actually really enjoying the finale until everything went bad for ray and frank. Dissapointing season.

Hoping they get to take one more shot at it with some more time.

This was like taking the last bite of a cake you sat down and finished by yourself. You knew you shouldn't, but you kept eating expecting the next bite to be something you wanted. Then towards the end you just eat because you don't want to leave anything left to tempt you later. You then feel like shit, and wish you never ate the fucking thing.

LProtag

I thought that was Frank's baby. I'm so confused

Jordan can't have children. Also Ani mentioned "for his sons" while talking to the reporter about Ray, implying he has multiple kids.

Anyway, yeah, this season wasn't great. It wasn't terrible, compared to other TV shows, but it didn't live up to season one at all.

The whole theme around paternity and maleness wasn't as interesting as the themes going on in the first season. Also this season rarely felt like it was leading anywhere. I get that it's supposed to be complicated and hard to figure out (did they spend enough time showing us California's complicated and twisting highway system?) but that doesn't mean that the plot shouldn't always be moving towards some sense of resolution.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The idea of twins avenging the slaying of their family, using brutal torture, occult murders and bird masks and shit is brilliant. Imagine a season of Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams figuring out occult Birdman killings. It would have been amazing.

Sanjuro

Weren't the ratings rather low for such an expensive show so due to the bad press, probably exaggerated because Peta is awful, why they just decided to cut their losses?

The joke was more about rating for HBO. Their whole narrative is they were above that, so when they ax shows because of ratings it sounds silly.

They basically have been living on the fence. Large reason The Knick is probably barren on the softcore network.

Maxim726X

Man, reading this thread you would think that TD ran over your dog and screwed your grandma.

I mean, it wasn't great but it wasn't the worst thing to ever grace our televisions either.

This thread is nearly unreadable. The number of people apparently hate watching is unbelievable. This is the last time I try to follow a TV thread on GAF.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apparently, not a lot of people liked this movie, even though it had a 'shocking' ending.

Yeah if you didn't like this season then you prolly won't like the movie. It has the same sort of

"well, here's some bad shit that happens to some people and there's not much they can do about it"

tone.

Serpico99

This thread in a nutshell *hate circle jerk*

This season last 4 were better than S1's last 4. Literally its come to "omg he pulled out his gun to defend himself... cliche trash". I am not saying that this season is even close to perfect, but the shit people bring up in this thread reminds me of high school.

Petty criticism. "lol Rachel McAdams is hiding her moles" fuck off...

Top Bottom