• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

eloestmn

While it obviously wasnt as good as season 1, i still enjoyed it and thought the finale was decent enough. Ive seen worse shows get far more praise.

My only real gripe about tonight would be: In a state as drought stricken as California, how did Velcoro manage to coincidentally park in the one spot that had the only visible puddle of water around for blocks?

Grand SMH.

Nif

I figured the reason he didn't give up his suit was because he had the diamonds in it, and that was all he had left.

LaneDS

Still no idea what happened

Need that itsfuckingnothing.gif

I'm a little surprised (only a little- this is the Internet and all) at how upset some folks are that folks largely disliked the season. I'm among that group but I sure as shit wasn't watching in the hopes of wasting my time. Season one's highs and the usual HBO pedigree kept me going until the end but to me it was irredeemable. That said, I hope we get a season three when Pizzaman has the time to craft something he's proud of, rather than see them fart out another season in a year regardless of quality.

Oscar

Man, reading this thread you would think that TD ran over your dog and screwed your grandma.

I mean, it wasn't great but it wasn't the worst thing to ever grace our televisions either.

Lol, I caught a ban back in episode 6 for pointing this out.

ezekial45

Banned
This show needed way more David Lynchian surreal flare like that.

I agree. The show was at its most interesting when they incorporated some surreal elements. Obviously, it didn't need to be all about this sort of stuff, but focusing on land deals and police politics to the nth degree made it all seem a bit generic in spots.

Weren't they about to leave him there until he asked for a ride?

Probably, but it again it goes back to Frank wanting out. If they did leave him unharmed, and he'd still have the cartel on his back. There was no way he could go back, and he certainly couldn't fight against them with all his resources exhausted.

That's the impression I got, they would have taken his suit and then his shirt and then his pants and so on until he died in the most degrading way possible. There was no exit for him at that point.

I was thinking the diamonds were in the suit and he didn't want to give them up.

ameratsu

Anyone want to summarize the last 2 episodes for me? I made it to episode 6 but after the
rich dude sex party
i tapped out.

I was thinking the diamonds were in the suit and he didn't want to give them up.
That plays into it but it seems pretty obvious that he wasn't getting out of there alive. I took it as him wanting to die with his suit on his back rather than being stripped down and then killed.

I mean, they dug a giant burial plot. I didn't get the impression they were about to ride off with him alive. Would have been a "and one more thing" *gunshot*

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
You know, I've been on board with the entire season, and even defended it during the last 7 weeks. This ending, however, was a total letdown.

Let's
just kill everyone
, then
let the badguys win,
then
crappily make a tiny win for the good guys by having a reporter get the info.
The End.

BizzyBum

"You can't act for shit" had me dying. Pizzaman must have added that in mid-way through the season or something, though I do think Vaughn got better as the season progressed.

The most surprising thing for me was Ani surviving. I knew Ray was dead since episode 3's intro dream and Frank was toast after that long ass bus stop sequence. I thought for sure that lady who was helping her into Venezuela was going to kill Ani out of jealousy.

Ray's death kinda sucked. Why would he jump out with a shotgun in the open when the three weren't even close to him? I guess he just wanted to die. Ray was too boss for that rookie shit.

Frank shoulda just gave the dude the damn suit, but it goes against his "never back down" character. (edit: totally forgot about the diamonds. Eh, either way he was a dead man). Also, he just lost all his money to the Mexicans meaning he was fucked regardless. His death scene had some pretty awesome cinematography but his visions were just a tad cliche. Not seeing his corpse being eaten by vultures as he looked back was also disappointing. If you're going to be brutal, go all the way.

I do give points in the fact that it's actually a show that has the good guys losing. They coulda went with the happy route and have Ray and Frank meet their lovers in Venezuela with that wad of cash but they shat all over that so I give them props.

6/10 season. Day 1 for Season 3, of course.

PS. Westworld looked incredible. So hypeed for that.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I liked the season for what it was and found it entertaining. But the finale was some Dexter level crackpipe shit.

That said, for all the hate that is thrown around in this thread, the hate on the Breaking Bad finale is just cray.

Deku Tree

This was like Godfather 2 to Godfather 3 levels of bad. The whole season. Wow. What a waste of such a huge budget and movie stars. The writing was just awful the whole way through. Fukunaga made the right call bailing out IMO.

I am sad that I watched the whole thing hoping the show had some redeeming qualities, and I gave it a much bigger chance than I would have with any other show because of the True greatness of season 1.

I won't be giving season 3 the same chance. I'll watch if people tell me it's good after a few episodes already passed. If not I'm out.

You know, I've been on board with the entire season, and even defended it during the last 7 weeks. This ending, however, was a total letdown.

Let's
just kill everyone
, then
let the badguys win,
then
The End.

"we get the world we deserve"

I liked the season for what it was and found it entertaining. But the finale was some Dexter level crackpipe shit.

That said, for all the hate that is thrown around in this thread, the hate on the Breaking Bad finale is just cray.
Breaking Bad
Walter was a bad man who managed to make up with his wife despite how he treated her and go out in a blaze of glory. It made me retroactively rethink whether the showrunners actually thought of him as a good guy.

I'm glad their plans didn't work out. Paul got killed and after that they were just fumbling in the dark. The whole season he had been covering their asses and doing all of the actual detective work so with him gone they were fucked.

Let's
just kill everyone
, then
let the badguys win,
then
The End.

You do realize S1 ended the same way?

Rust Cohle: We didn't get 'em all.
Marty Hart: Yeah, and we ain't gonna get 'em all. That ain't what kind of world it is. But we got ours.

vpance

Man, reading this thread you would think that TD ran over your dog and screwed your grandma.

I mean, it wasn't great but it wasn't the worst thing to ever grace our televisions either.

Truly. But that's just Gaf being Gaf.

I thought the show still had enough good moments that made it worth seeing, like with the cinematography and acting. The story was no revelation. McAdams and Farrel were great and I felt there were probably about 2 or 3 quality episodes. It was definitely uneven and far from perfect, but I can appreciate the times that it did work.

Robot Pants

I would have been down for a Return of the Jedi style ending with the ghosts of Frank, Velcoro, and Stan waving from among the Venezuelan crowd.

rexor0717

Yeah, it wasn't terrible at all, but man was it disappointing coming off season 1. I found most of the episodes to be just ok this season after the first two leaning towards bad. The finale was really underwhelming. I especially didn't like that both Woodrough and Velcoro got offed by the same people. I like the thing where the good guys don't always win, but Frank could have just not been an idiot and lived. All that shit about not running because it will never end doesn't equal throwing your life away due to pride. What was he trying to prove there?

fucking garbage. this whole season was absolute garbage. i read people saying 'well it wasn't as good as season 1 but" and i realize opinions are opinions but no. this was bad and while you can be defend the show by saying "well i've seen worse!" there is no way this wasn't one of the greatest television disappointments in recent memory.

can't say i'm in for sure for season 3 after this abomination

fucking garbage. this whole season was absolute garbage. i read people saying 'well it wasn't as good as season 1 but" and i realize opinions are opinions but no. this was bad and while you can be defend the show by saying "well i've seen worse!" there is no way this wasn't one of the greatest television disappointments in recent memory.

can't say i'm in for sure for season 3 after this abomination

That take is muy caliente.

coleco

It's amazing how the bird mask was in plain sight, from outside the house. And the shotgun he used was just right on the table once Velcoro entered the room.

The show many of these clumsy moments.

ezekial45

Banned
Haven't watched yet. Does the finale redeem the season at all?

I personally felt it was a satisfying finale. It was an uneven season, and they ended it in an interesting.

Though I suspect you'll get people saying otherwise. But anyone that says this season is comparable to Dexter's final season is batshit.

Why didn't he switch cars AFTER LEQVING HIS KIDS SCHOOL

They were watching him.

Season started okay and got better to the end. I recently re-watched the first 7 episodes and it is much better the second time around, as well.

I enjoyed the finale a lot.

So the bad guys won, the leads died, and a highway got named.

Performances were on point the finale though. Vince Vaughn sold me as a serious actor these past two episodes. I mean I wouldn't give him an award, but definitely I'll take him seriously if that' what he wants.

Cidd

It's amazing how the bird mask was in plain sight, from outside the house. And the shotgun he used was just right on the table once Velcoro entered the room.

The show many of these clumsy moments.

Would you say it's a "COINCIDENCE"
that all these things are just left in plain sight with pictures and a chained up hostage to explain everything
?

How did the Mexicans find Frank? He switched cars and everything. Did the bakery guys sell him out?

"COINCIDENCE"

NYR

So many people on Reddit are confused why Frank died over nothing but a suit....there were $3.5 million dollars worth of diamonds in the pocket. Poor storytelling that the fact the diamonds were on him and so many people missed this.

BizzyBum

So many people on Reddit are confused why Frank died over noting but a suit....there were $3.5 million dollars worth of diamonds in the pocket. Poor storytelling that the fact the diamonds were on him and so many people missed this.

It was all pointless, anyway. I see a lot of people also saying "if he just gave the damn suit he would be alive." LOL.. fuck no. The only difference woulda been him walking in the desert in his boxers instead.

Hari Seldon

I feel like there was an awesome story somewhere in here but it never got out. Time to dump HBO until GOT. I dont' think i'm going to bother keeping it for S3 of this next year.

Partition

Banned

If there was anything this finale did better than Breaking Bad's was that it wasn't completely predictable and playing it safe at every literal turn.

paskowitz

I could see Farrel get a nomination but that is about it. He was really the only consistent piece of quality on the show. Everything else was all over the place.

labx

Banned
I feel like there was an awesome story somewhere in here but it never got out. Time to dump HBO until GOT. I dont' think i'm going to bother keeping it for S3 of this next year.

There will be no S3 man... Pizzaman burn himself this time. He bit off more than he could chew.

So many people on Reddit are confused why Frank died over noting but a suit....there were $3.5 million dollars worth of diamonds in the pocket. Poor storytelling that the fact the diamonds were on him and so many people missed this.

I don't think there was any scenario in which Frank survived that encounter. Giving up the suit would've been pointless even if there weren't diamonds in the pocket.

Top Bottom