• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Vince Vaughn trying to convince his wife about leaving, but everytime they focus the camera at him is like he's about to burst out laughing

Ray sees device under the car. Realized there's 30 more mins to the show. Drives out to the woods.
- A logical man would have walked away.
So Frank needs to get stabbed so he can have his visions.
- A logical man would have just given that suit

its like after the heist the creators realized they have another 45 mins to fill. Also it seemed the death of the two is needed to create a tragic end, but it made it cliche.

The only thing I'm going to say about that scene is it's very obvious what Pizza wanted to do with it, but there's no big fucking cowboy/character reward moment, so it just plays like a sad, weak, and ineffectual scene where you're like "fuck, Vince went out like a chump," instead of "fuck, at least Vince went out like a fucking champ."

Also, there was a billboard right after Frank was stopped in traffic while driving his Audi, as the three cars were going up an on-ramp, it had a black bird on it, but I didn't have time to read the text. I wanted to know if it was anything clever/foreshadowing or something.

FTF

This was like taking the last bite of a cake you sat down and finished by yourself. You knew you shouldn't, but you kept eating expecting the next bite to be something you wanted. Then towards the end you just eat because you don't want to leave anything left to tempt you later. You then feel like shit, and wish you never ate the fucking thing.

lol this is a great analogy.

Permanently A

I thought the finale was a lot better than the first season which randomly went into total camp territory. Many of the things that happened were properly foreshadowed and the lead characters went out like bitches because of their silly machismo and got nothing out of it. Much better than Breaking Bad where
Walter's hilariously silly plan worked out and he got to go out in a blaze of glory.

Similarly in the end while a few of the villains ended up getting killed the perpetrators at large got away with it. Although at least in this case there's a chance of the evidence they found getting turned into a story.

What are you talking about? Breaking Bad ended on Ozymandias.

NYR

Season 1 - 100%

Season 2 - 50%

Avg - 75%

They Dextered the fuck out of this show.

This was like taking the last bite of a cake you sat down and finished by yourself. You knew you shouldn't, but you kept eating expecting the next bite to be something you wanted. Then towards the end you just eat because you don't want to leave anything left to tempt you later. You then feel like shit, and wish you never ate the fucking thing.
Post of the season.

Sifl

The idea of twins avenging the slaying of their family, using brutal torture, occult murders and bird masks and shit is brilliant. Imaging a season of Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams figuring out occult Birdman killings. It would have been amazing.
Yup, makes this season much worse in retrospect. So much focus went into the gangsters, corrupt politicians and police that the murder itself was a side story.

ezekial45

Banned
I enjoyed it. Granted the season wasn't too hot, but I enjoyed the way they closed out the character's stories. It was way different than how things turned out in S1. This was darker, and pretty nihilistic in some regards. Of course, the biggest crime this show committed was coming after S1. Sure, this season didn't really fly in some areas, but ultimately I felt the heart of the negativity lies in that it's not like Season 1. Which I understand, and can relate to in some ways.

Also, I liked the foreshadowing to
Ray's death in the opening credits and in episode 3 during the dream sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Fn7GZjR0Q

"I see you, running through the trees. You're small, the trees are like giants. Men are chasing you. You step out the trees, you ain't that fast. Now son, they kill you. They shoot you to pieces."

Anyway, I enjoyed this season. Looking forward to seeing how S3 works out. Though I certainly hope they give it extra time. It was clear this season was bit rushed, and it would help if they had more guidance. Pizzolatto probably needs another person with him to develop it.

I'm gonna be so angry apoplectic if Fargo is a complete shitshow this year. I'm content to let True Detective be the sacrificial lamb of hilarious disappointment, but I can't go 2 for 2.

chessnut

1. So where was Bezzerides and co. off to at the end?
2. Why the fuck would you drive to the woods if you're trying to maintain mobile signal.
3. How did the mexicans know how to find Frank? Did those 2 arab guys give Frank up?

Also, showing that the voice recording wasn't uploaded was cold-blooded. Holy shit...

coleco

So true lol

Aurongel

I enjoyed it. Granted the season wasn't too hot, but I enjoyed the way they closed out the character's stories. It was way different than how things turned out in S1. This was darker, and pretty nihilistic in some regards. Of course, the biggest crime this show committed was coming after S1. Sure, this season didn't really fly in some areas, but ultimately I felt the heart of the negativity lies in that it's not like Season 1. Which I understand, and can relate to in some ways.

Also, I liked the foreshadowing to
Ray's death in the opening credits and in episode 3 during the dream sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Fn7GZjR0Q

"I see you, running through the trees. You're small, the trees are like giants. Men are chasing you. You step out the trees, you ain't that fast. Now son, they kill you. They shoot you to pieces."

Anyway, I enjoyed this season. Looking forward to seeing how S3 works out. Though I certainly hope they give it extra time. It was clear this season was bit rushed, and it would help if they had more guidance. Pizzolatto probably needs another person with him to develop it.
This show needed way more David Lynchian surreal flare like that.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just finished up. Better than I expected, honestly.

I think the real weakness here is that I felt more connection with Frank's wife and Nails than I did with the main characters, ultimately. In his two lines, I understood the devotion that Nails had toward his boss. And I liked that Jordan eventually realized that she couldn't have Frank without having the gangster, and the gangster wouldn't let her stay.

Seeing Nails still standing guard over Jordan at the end -- it made sense, it clicked.

Seeing Frank stumble through the desert -- not so much.

That said, I'm glad I watched it, to see the story through to the end. And now I need to see which of those tracks from tonight's music I'd like to keep...

labx

Banned
1. So where was Bezzerides and co. off to at the end?
2. Why the fuck would you drive to the woods if you're trying to maintain mobile signal.
3. How did the mexicans know how to find Frank? Did those 2 arab guys give Frank up?

Also, showing that the voice recording wasn't uploaded was cold-blooded. Holy shit...

I only have one answer for you. The number 1. I think they are going for the kill, revenge and what not. "Its a long trip."

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
The last three episodes had a good deal of momentum leading up to this, but that ended with a thud. I'll take Ray's ending since it was basically telegraphed since the second episode. The rest of it... meh. Birdman deserved a better send off. Also strange how Betty Chessani basically vanished with little to no explanation. Hopefully next season is better.

Where the hell were Ani, Jordan and Nails going at the end? Ani absolved herself of all the Vinci shit but then she's all geared up and says that it's going to be a long journey? Were we supposed to be able to tell?

ezekial45

Banned
Vince Vaughn trying to convince his wife about leaving, but everytime they focus the camera at him is like he's about to burst out laughing

Ray sees device under the car. Realized there's 30 more mins to the show. Drives out to the woods.
- A logical man would have walked away.
So Frank needs to get stabbed so he can have his visions.
- A logical man would have just given that suit

its like after the heist the creators realized they have another 45 mins to fill. Also it seemed the death of the two is needed to create a tragic end, but it made it cliche.

What honestly makes you think that they would've let him live after he gave him his money AND his suit? Even if they did, he'd be indebted to the cartel after destroying the clubs. He was trying to clean up before leaving the country, they would've went after him down south, and they would find him easily too. He certainly wasn't going to humiliate himself for them.

It was over for him, really.

What honestly makes you think that they would've let him live after he gave him his money AND his suit? Even if they did, he'd be indebted to the cartel after destroying the clubs. He was trying to clean up before leaving the country, they would've went after him down south, and they would find him easily too.

That's the impression I got, they would have taken his suit and then his shirt and then his pants and so on until he died in the most degrading way possible. There was no exit for him at that point.

rec0ded1

So farrell pulled a heat and Vaughn a django unchained felt almost like plagiarism.

not really but made it easier to predict what would happen

Foggy

This thread is nearly unreadable. The number of people apparently hate watching is unbelievable. This is the last time I try to follow a TV thread on GAF.

It's generally a good idea, depending on the show. It's one thing to ignore anything that doesn't validate your feelings, but it's an entire other thing to ignore something that's dominated by people who watch it just to shit on it. I would be hopeful that most of the hatewatchers would find something better to do with their time by season 3, but I doubt it. The show's just too high-profile.

NYR

Man, reading this thread you would think that TD ran over your dog and screwed your grandma.

I mean, it wasn't great but it wasn't the worst thing to ever grace our televisions either.
There are literally people in this thread talking shit about the few episodes of Breaking Bad. Morons are everywhere, but the negativity about this season is absolutely fine and warranted.

br3wnor

Solid ending, enjoyed the season. Will be tuning into season 3.

Really fascinated by the hate watching, what a way to waste 8+ hours of your life.

Popnbake

I don't think it's necessary to have a feel-good ending to every story, but holy fuckballs, I've never seen a show that ends with such little closure and treats its characters so fucking dreadfully for no real reason.

It's like everything great from the finale of season 1 was inverted simply to claim that the show isn't predictable or based on a template.

I didn't mind the detectives going up against enemies where the odds would be so stacked against them, we have a finale where most of the leads die.

In that regard, the finale wasn't horrible.

But when you consider the season as a disappointment, having a grim ending makes it that much more apparent.

Paul dying over gay pics.
Ray dying thinking that he's not the father of his son and his last message failing to reach him.
Vince dying in the desert realizing that he fucked up with the woman he loved.
Rachel, who already had issues, now living life as a single mom on the run.

Did we really need all that?

*edit: just in case

labx

Banned
Where the hell were Ani, Jordan and Nails going at the end? Ani absolved herself of all the Vinci shit but then she's all geared up and says that it's going to be a long journey? Were we supposed to be able to tell?

retribution, vengeance, fuck Vinci Up

I really liked the finale and enjoyed the season overall. Maybe I'm easy to please. Or maybe I'm just a contrarian schmuck. Who knows and who cares. I had fun and that's all that matters. ^_^

I got the impression Ani just had gear to protect herself in the chance that people are still after her which they surely are given Burris got away with it. Her turning the evidence over to the reporter was her clearing her part in the whole ordeal. They're on the run and moving on to the next safe place

Kusagari

What honestly makes you think that they would've let him live after he gave him his money AND his suit? Even if they did, he'd be indebted to the cartel after destroying the clubs. He was trying to clean up before leaving the country, they would've went after him down south, and they would find him easily too. He certainly wasn't going to humiliate himself for them.

Weren't they about to leave him there until he asked for a ride?

Maxim726X

This thread gives an interesting insight into mob mentality, I'll say that much.

80% of the people in this thread spent 2 months watching a show they actively hated? Okay.

Top Bottom