• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

S2 was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. Biggest single season fall from grace I can recall.

Yep.

That finale was catastrophic.

First 35 minutes, literally nothing happened. Except ten minutes of Frank and his wife basically saying "go", "no", "go", "no".

Then everything else in the episode just...happened. No motivation. No pay off. No climactic scene that makes the preceding seven hours worth it.

Piece of shit.

He has no idea how to write characters, it's mad.

Rust and Marty were good, but then you realise Rust was just quoting other people's work and Marty was just reacting to other people's work and you realise that most of the good stuff about them was because of McConaughey and Harrelson.

There was literally no character development other than Ray didn't threaten to buttfuck people's corpses anymore. That's it.

There was no pay off. There was no theme other than "bad guys do what they want". Futile, pointless season of television. Had neither aspirations nor entertainment. Just pretention.

While it was still entertaining television, here are my biggest disappointments and thoughts on Season 2.

1) The "Bird Man" could have been a really interesting and creepy character. Instead his role was very light and he didn't provide much intrigue. And the reveal of his identity and plan wasn't interesting.

2) Frank's character finally got interesting in the final two episodes. It's a shame that they couldn't have written a way or two in earlier in the season to make him more colorful. Those hallucinations in the desert worked very well.

3) Paul's character dying was fine I suppose, I'm just not a fan of the fact that he never really got to accomplish much.

4) Farrell's character dying is fine I suppose but...Still didn't like it. The entire season he is filled with regret for the kind of person he is. Toward the end he finally comes to terms with it. I'd call him a tragic character. He didn't want to live anymore. He finally gets something to live for and is doing the right thing with this case and cares for someone and then...He suicides like that? Just didn't like it. Felt like his character took a step back in his final 60-seconds.

5) As a million others have mentioned, the actual story and case of this season wasn't very enthralling for me. It didn't end terribly and the actual events might not be horrible, but the way it was presented wasn't very interesting as a viewer.

Had some hype moments but overall a let down.

I wouldn't ask for a "and they all lived happily ever after" style ending but just about everything you thought was important turns out to be irrelevant by the end of the season.

The ending to season 1 felt a bit rushed but Christ, at least it provided a little closure. At the end of this season I was left with the impression that nothing they had done was worth it and that the whole venture was pointless.

borborygmus

Another amazing moment from the finale I forgot (because with 90 minutes you're assured so many amazing moments!) is when Frank is sitting in the safehouse above the bar with the bartender, and then suddenly out of nowhere the sad girl song we've come to expect every episode starts, and she opens a window up so they can both sit and watch her play to.... no one at all. It's like one of those totally irrelevant scenes where the show is winking to the audience, because why else would it even exist? Lol.

That was hilarious too. This episode literally made me laugh. Other things that got me:

- "You can't act for shit, Frank."

- Velcoro's upload failed

The rest of the season was pretty bad, but I never actually laughed. Even "everything is fucking," ridiculous as it is, didn't make me laugh.

That's how bad this finale was.

Another amazing moment from the finale I forgot (because with 90 minutes you're assured so many amazing moments!) is when Frank is sitting in the safehouse above the bar with the bartender, and then suddenly out of nowhere the sad girl song we've come to expect every episode starts, and she opens a window up so they can both sit and watch her play to.... no one at all. It's like one of those totally irrelevant scenes where the show is winking to the audience, because why else would it even exist? Lol.
Lol I was almost waiting for one of them to straight up comment on how she's practicing or something so it doesn't seem too crazy but no one did. I'm going to assume that's what it was anyway for my own sanity.

GeeTeeCee

I actually enjoyed most of the series barring the last few episodes, but wow, that finale made me feel like I wasted my time.

"Man, that tracker must be stuck on with magnets or something! Oh well, may as well resign myself to my pointlessly tragic death."

Ray, they put a tracker on your vehicle so they can follow you without having to physically see your car. They aren't looking at you RIGHT NOW. They are hiding around the corner. They cannot see you. Get another car.

I honestly can't believe how bad that early Frank and Jordan conversation was. Literally ten minutes of dancing around in circles.

I honestly can't believe Chad would sit there playing nerd games with a giant fucking block of badge shit next to him. Does he carry it in his pocket?

I honestly can't believe his email account is chadvelcoro@gmail.com and not gingerphoebelover@yahoo.com

I honestly can't believe some of the woeful fades and transitions in this episode alone

I honestly can't believe Osip thought Frank was like a son to him

I honestly can't believe Frank was dying and reminisced about the time a bunch of kids called him Larry Bird

I honestly can't believe Ray had a ginger kid and then a non-ginger kid after one pork with Ani

I honestly can't believe that all the circumspect evidence, insubstantial characters, pointless plotting, irrelevant scenes didn't amount to fucking anything in the slightest.

I honestly can't believe Pizzolatto thought that was good enough.

rinse82

lol Frank goes through all of that and ends up getting stabbed in the ribs by some latinos in the end.

Such an unsatisfying finale.

Theorry

XUJ0BMa.png

7T8HSBN.png

PYwVMaK.png

me82RaQ.png

I went back and, yeah, Velcoro pretty much pulls the whole film production man being the brother thing completely out of his ass.

My GF and I watched the first 2 episodes of the wire earlier in the day (i've seen it before, it was her first time) and it was refreshing watching a complex show with multiple characters having a layered story that is both well written and well told.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah, this season was really bad.

Barring S3 having some actor or actors I really like, I'm out.

"You can't act for shit" should be one of the quotes on the back of the DVD box set.

Nibel

The fuck did I watch

wtzgU.gif

Pizzaman didn't write season 1

BTW, I laughed out loud
when Frank's car couldn't move because of the Mexicans and out of no fucking where there are hands with guns in his car
KuGsj.gif

purg3

slept with Malkin
So basically there was no point to any thing that happened? That's legit what I took away from the finale. I wanted to wait before posting to think about it some more after watching last night. But even after thinking about it, this was one of the most pointless seasons of a television show I've ever seen.

Sad part is, if there's a season 3, I'll watch it...

Lot of exaggeration about this finale in this thread. But I guess it's hard for some people to get off the hate train once they've had their ticket punched.

Lots of horrible shit this season but i honestly enjoyed this finale.

Lot of exaggeration about this finale in this thread. But I guess it's hard for some people to get off the hate train once they've had their ticket punched.

It was a thoroughly entertaining 90-minute show. Just in all the wrong/unintentional ways.

PBY

Banned

That's fine. But read my past posts here- I wS really w the show until ep 4, and I really liked 6 and 7. Felt this was terrible though, really leaned into the worst/least interesting aspects.

Hate train? outside of that shitty ep with the shootout I loved the show but last 90 min was horrible.

Lyonaz

I liked it, lets hope for a season of True Detective where Ray Jr, Chad Ginger Velcoro and Woodrugh Jr go on a killing spree for revenge.

Blader

Eh, I guess it was alright. Unnecessarily long and a very sloppy wrap-up (which I use loosely) of the various plot threads -- Caspere's killer, the twins, the conspiracy, and how it all ties together just didn't resonate at all. And I didn't like how sidelined Ani was for most of it.

That said, I did mostly enjoy
Ray going out, Frank's execution of Osip, and his whole walk of death sequence in the desert (especially the "you stopped moving back there" bit). I'll also say, despite shitting on Vince's acting for most of the season, the look on his face when he realized he was dead was pretty damn good.

So, yeah. I didn't hate it like a lot of people did, and don't mind -- and frankly, saw coming a mile anywhere -- the nihilistic "bad guys win, good guys are fucked" ending at every turn. But I will say, last season I was legitimately nervous for both Rust and Marty going into the finale, thinking that either of them would die; this year, I didn't come close to feeling that. I mostly liked Ani all season, Ray grew on me a lot after coming off too try-hard in the first couple episodes, and even Frank had a moment or two here and there. But for the most part, I just never really ending up caring about these characters or their story compared to last year's.

Interfectum

This season felt like the writer was reaching way beyond his capable skills. You could tell what he was trying to do but ultimately didn't have the talent to pull it off.

Points for trying. :)

Dany

Banned
What a mess. I really really had trouble caring for any of the characters. I started nodding off after Vince got stabbed in the desert. The show spent too much time on relationship issues than explaining the actual plot regarding the train shit. I could follow along sometimes but when I'd hear Frank rattle off 4 names, I'm just..."what"

No one was forgivable, until the end. Standout performance by Colin ferrel, great transformation, he stole the show.

thenexus6

The moment Ray pulled off to visit his Son I knew it was game over for him.

There is literally no reason why he didn't remove the tracker or ditch the car. Also why the fuck did Frank

1) Completely forget about the Mexicans in his super plan
2) Punch that guy in the face in the desert

Ugh how annoying. Considering how shit the season has been I did start to like and get invested in these characters for it all to just been thrown away.

Dosia

I thought this season was pretty bad and the finale was lame. Unfortunately as bad as a show is, I always have the need to finish what I start.

Theorry

The moment Ray pulled off to visit his Son I knew it was game over for him.

There is literally no reason why he didn't remove the tracker or ditch the car. Also why the fuck did Frank

1) Completely forget about the Mexicans in his super plan
2) Punch that guy in the face in the desert

Ugh how annoying. Considering how shit the season has been I did start to like and get invested in these characters for it all to just been thrown away.

He had those diamonds in his suit. Thats why didnt want to give up that suit.

I'm surprised so many here didn't think it would end on a downer seemed clear the biggest players would get out unscathed and this was more about our leads being ineffective against the powers that be doomed fates and all that. At least the leads survived in s1 alto they ultimately stopped nothing.
I honestly thought frank had a contingency for the Mexicans since he squared off all the other deals he made.
Basically I thought frank would make it but lose his wife in the process.

Ps what was ray thinking grabbing the money bag then tripping over it seemed clear it would be all fruitless in the end anyway.

Dany

Banned
Perhaps they should have had more scenes like Frank in the desert.

I mean sure, he was seeing them because he was dying. It was quite powerful, though I never really appreciated his character much until the finale.

Interfectum

Perhaps they should have had more scenes like Frank in the desert.

I mean sure, he was seeing them because he was dying. It was quite powerful, though I never really appreciated his character much until the finale.

I think the last two episodes they finally started nailing Frank's character. It's a shame it took the entire season to get there.

duckroll

I wonder why he didn't put the diamonds in his shoes. Or his underwear? He just killed a bunch of Russian mobsters and corporate dudes, can never be too careful! :p

Theorry

When he just gave a case of millions, some diamonds worth $3 million aren't worth your life.

Guess you didnt get the knew the Frank we all did then. For me it wasnt a surprise at all. The whole reason he was doing this was because he tought he deserved more and wasnt happy with 100k.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Crosspost:

I actually liked the last 3 episodes. Still an overall unsatisfying and inconsistent season for me. That said, I hope Vinceposting stays a thing.

I hear a lot of people complaining about how much this season was different from season 1 (I don't know if they mean that in a quality sense or narratively) but that was one of the positives for me. I loved the noir approach even if in the end it got bogged down with unnecessary contrivances.

thenexus6

I get the fact money was super important to him, but considering the situation he was in i'd figured he wouldn't be so stupid in that exact moment.

Also if everything went to plan Ray would've had his bag of money too, maybe Ray would've lent him a few bucks.

Amir0x

Banned
What an everloving disaster. I'm too depressed to even articulate all my negative feelings about it. Waste of my damn time.

I wonder why he didn't put the diamonds in his shoes. Or his underwear? He just killed a bunch of Russian mobsters and corporate dudes, can never be too careful! :p

well, if someone wants your suit there's a strong chance they would want the shoes that accompany them, too.

And really, the mexicans had no plans on letting frank live. He was being left stranded in the desert to die a slow and awful death.

All Frank did was speed up the inevitable.

Deku Tree

None of the reviews I am reading are discussing this crucial plot point that I'm about to talk about.... Yeah they say that Lenny killed Caspere because of the diamond robbery and Lenny couldn't keep his cool and started the shoot out in the train station. But none of the reviews seem to want to mention the stupidest point that triggered the whole thing, that they killed Lenny's parents instead of just robbing them because they weren't Lenny's parents (well at least one of them). They killed the parents because Caspere was really the illegitimate father and he didn't like it. Such a stupid revelation, and such a horrible reason for them to kill the parents. I'm really surprised that some reviews are just ignoring that.

Top Bottom