• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

jkanownik

Huh. This season reminds me of how I felt watching the x files movie. That certainly was something. Not what I wanted, hoped for or expected, but not entirely unsatisfying either.

The only difference is that this makes me question things I liked about s1. I thought there was more to it. I'm really questioning that now.

duckroll

My Personal Top 3 scenes from the finale:

3) The close up on the "PATERNITY 99.9%" results. Lol, like anyone gives a fuck at that point.

2) Vince Vaugh's on-screen wife telling Vince Vaugh that he "can't act for shit" as the audience applauds.

1) Sad close up on the "UPLOAD FAILED" screen of Ray's phone as he lies dead on the ground after being shot up by EviLore and his NeoGAF gang. Truly a testament to the tragedy that this entire season is.

9shqxYK.gif

pretty much
thought vaughn did a good job
gotta remember it's the actor that has to work with the material, not come up with it

overall a garbage season
tried to save itself in the second half but by god it pales in comparison to season 1
i hope time isn't a flat circle because holy shit i don't want to experience this travesty again

Sober

There sure wasn't much detectiving at all over the course of the season except in tight, jam packed scenes.

Seemed like I was just watching any other old drama except everyone dies a whole bunch and all the dudes have to mansplain to their female counterparts why they have to go it alone.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Garbage season but still miles better than a large majority of TV shows that we get on other networks. I would take this over silly CW shows anyday.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They didn't even let the voice message send at the end? Haha what the fuck?

Velcoro got fucked over pretty bad. To the point that it just seems cruel. At least the kid is his. But he didn't really care either way, that was his son. Should have at least let him take out Burris.

I'm going to be in the minority here because I enjoyed the episode, but there really isn't much to take from it. Maybe I'm looking for meaning in a show that likes to dance around nihilism whenever it gets the chance.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
HBO get Jake Gyllenhall for next season (Prisoner movie like role) and I will forget about the existence of this season.

Was hoping Frank would take the L any give up the suit mind you he was miles from civilization so would have died anyway. That long walk was brilliantly done one of the best scenes this season. The thought that Burris is still out there tracking ani unease's me.

HBO get Jake Gyllenhall for next season (Prisoner movie like role) and I will forget about the existence of this season.

the actors weren't the issue here tbh (even vaughn, i no longer blame him. it was the shit he had to sell to us. even daniel day lewis couldn't pull off those clunkers in the early episodes)

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Was hoping Frank would take the L any give up the suit mind you he was miles from civilization so would have died anyway. That long walk was brilliantly done one of the best scenes this season. The thought that Burris is still out there tracking ani unease's me.

Well considering the month was January, and temp would have been in 80s, he could have survived for 3-4 days.

the actors weren't the issue here tbh (even vaughn, i no longer blame him. it was the shit he had to sell to us. even daniel day lewis couldn't pull off those clunkers in the early episodes)

I could agree with that.

That hyped birdman character was shit. Very dissapointed with the writing.

Well considering the month was January, and temp would have been in 80s, he could have easily survived for 3-4 days.

I could agree with that.

That hyped birdman character was shit.

He had one of the best looking scenes this season and died in a more dignified manner than Velcro and woodrugh. So I'm okay with it.
Birdman was a waste tho he couldn't even finish off Holloway ffs good thing the police were on hand to finish the job.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
He had one of the best looking scenes this season and died in a more dignified manner than Velcro and woodrugh. So I'm okay with it.
Birdman was a waste tho he couldn't even finish off Holloway ffs good thing the police were on hand to finish the job.

And now that I think about the two siblings, was Casepere...his own daughter? WTF?

Addi

Am I a bad person if I liked the season 2 finale more than the season 1 finale? A lot of it doesn't work, but there were some decent scenes. I liked Frank's scene in the desert. Maybe trying a little too hard to be a prestige show, but I enjoyed it. Where was stuff like that all season?

I guess there was no way that one episode was going to redeem the entire season. But at least I got some entertainment out of the tail end of Season 2.

I agree, I actually enjoyed this episode.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
1) Sad close up on the "UPLOAD FAILED" screen of Ray's phone as he lies dead on the ground after being shot up by EviLore and his NeoGAF gang. Truly a testament to the tragedy that this entire season is.

My favorite part of the series so far.

What a waste of time. Good lord, that whole labyrinth of nonsense came down to THAT?

I don't understand what I just watched. Like, not the plot, I can put that together, but I don't understand what True Detective season 2 wanted to be or thought it was. By the time it got to a raid with two of the leads wearing gas masks and slaying enemies in videogame numbers, my brain got out of my head and punched me in the face for watching this. Not to mention nearly the entire central case being set on fire making for an incredibly unsatisfying conclusion. Oh but Ani told a reporter the whole thing though sighhhhh

Then Ray and that unearned "gotta do this one thing before getting away" ending....And the paternity results.....and the message not being sent....and Frank dying in the desert (which was actually a good scene, so it obviously has no place here) ....and Ani having Ray's kid.....What is this show, brehs

Wabba

Great actors but the problem is the god awful script from Nic. So bad. I cant belive that the same guy wrote season 1, its like night and day. I´m just going to forget about this season and hope that HBO gives the torche to David Fincher for season 3. David Fincher + Jake Gyllenhall

The finale was terrible, not sure why I was expecting more. Takeaways:

I knew when Frank asked his wife to meet him dressed in white that we were going to get the ghost/dream scene and it would signify his death when she appeared in white. I mean, meeting in a place, fine. Mentioning white clothes - completely unnecessary. Ugh.

Why was this episode 90 minutes? They could have covered it all in half the time, it was so dragged out.

Of course Velcoro had to see his son. Why get over the border asap and live another day and have a chance of seeing him in the future, when you can take a stupid detour, loiter around a school fence like a sex offender and walk straight into certain death?

Good job Birdman has an easily accessible plot exposition room with his shotgun and mask lazily left on the shelf/desk, just in case there was any doubt they were on to the right person.

Is your face appearing on the news every few minutes telling the world you're a fugitive from the law? No problem, wear a large white attention-drawing cowboy hat.

homer-and-apu-picture.png

Vaughn's stabbed face was unintentionally hilarious.

Oh, and the hard drive. How could I forget? So much of the season's plot hinged on it, Velcoro got shot because he nearly had it... yet it turns out we'll never know the contents because it used some super encryption to erase itself, or something.

Yeah the desert scene was amazing and I would have rather seen an entire season of the status quo of the final scene but the rest of this season was LITERALLY eight hours of GTA V missions stapled together.

hobozero

Two things I still don't understand:

1. At the beginning, how do Ray and Ani figure out that the photographer is the kid/brother/killer? Do they just pull it out of thin air? Was Ray surfing reddit on his phone?

2. Why can't Catalyst spell the name of their own company correctly?

NSffqsQ.jpg

Fucking Ballers was a more enjoyable show that this season of true detective. If I could describe the season I'd say is the story of a man who can't stop sniffing his farts.

You know I don't even want happy endings but this could have ended better 90mins and what a total fuck up meaningless stupid deaths and characters doing stupid shit.

Without spoilers...was the finale satisfactory? The last episode kind of had my hopes up for the finale, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

RS4-

Two things I still don't understand:

1. At the beginning, how do Ray and Ani figure out that the photographer is the kid/brother/killer? Do they just pull it out of thin air? Was Ray surfing reddit on his phone?

I think Ray mentions that Birdman and the girl interact on the movie set, and sort of look alike. Or some shit like that. Ages match blah blah.

Whatever, fuck this season.

Waiting for Ray Jr and Ray Ginger to start killing people.

borborygmus

I laughed out loud when Ray told Antigone "Are you kidding? I could lose these guys on a tricycle. You're gonna need a restraining order," then she hands over the phone and he just blurts out "I'm not gonna make it."

The finale is the worst episode this season because it drops all pretense of having any kind of standard and goes full straight-to-DVD garbage.

edit: Also, what the hell was that forest shootout? Ray knew he was being tracked and then he practically just rolled over and died. What was the point of this.

duckroll

Another amazing moment from the finale I forgot (because with 90 minutes you're assured so many amazing moments!) is when Frank is sitting in the safehouse above the bar with the bartender, and then suddenly out of nowhere the sad girl song we've come to expect every episode starts, and she opens a window up so they can both sit and watch her play to.... no one at all. It's like one of those totally irrelevant scenes where the show is winking to the audience, because why else would it even exist? Lol.

Top Bottom