• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Theorry

Crosspost:

I actually liked the last 3 episodes. Still an overall unsatisfying and inconsistent season for me. That said, I hope Vinceposting stays a thing.

I hear a lot of people complaining about how much this season was different from season 1 (I don't know if they mean that in a quality sense or narratively) but that was one of the positives for me. I loved the noir approach even if in the end it got bogged down with unnecessary contrivances.

My main problem with this season was that they all had lines wich Rust had. Biggest difference was that it made sense with Rust and he could pull it off. Also there was Marty to balance it.

Deku Tree

I wonder why he didn't put the diamonds in his shoes. Or his underwear? He just killed a bunch of Russian mobsters and corporate dudes, can never be too careful! :p

Then it would have been harder for him to try to stop the bleeding with the diamonds. I think a lot of people didn't notice this additionally really dumb point:

55c81907169027501c6f142a_blood-diamonds.gif

duckroll

well, if someone wants your suit there's a strong chance they would want the shoes that accompany them, too.

And really, the mexicans had no plans on letting frank live. He was being left stranded in the desert to die a slow and awful death.

All Frank did was speed up the inevitable.

Yeah I think that's true. Most of the finale was like that really. The outcomes are totally penciled in, and it was just a matter of getting there faster or slower.

i actually came to enjoy vince vaughn in the last couple of episodes. I think when they finally dropped the garbage monologues and existentialism he became a pretty entertaining criminal character. Too little too late though, most of the season had him shitting up an already mediocre season.

Colin Farrell was the only consistently good thing about this season imo. The writing and the direction and the other actors (not really their fault though tbh) ranged from meh to just straight crap.

The finale was enjoyable to me though because I'm a sucker for these escapes where you know they're not gonna make it but you're rooting for them to anyways like carlito's way or heat.

The plot itself and the whole mystery with casper and the corruption was sloppy though. Season 3 ain't shit if they let Pizzolato go it alone again and PLEASE get one single talented director on this who is willing to fight him on these ideas.

That's why season 1 worked. It was a dual collaboration with a lot of friction.

Indeed.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not for him. Thats why he was doing this.

Yup, he could've walked away months ago like Jordan wanted but he felt like it wasn't enough f or them. He didn't want to be season 1 Walter White, he wanted to be season 5 Walter White.

pantsmith

Vince was in the middle of Death Valley - he wasn't walking home. Plus, true to his character, he's not going to give up his suit anyways. He's too damn proud.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
My main problem with this season was that they all had lines wich Rust had. Biggest difference was that it made sense with Rust and he could pull it off. Also there was Marty to balance it.
I agree. What made Rusts' character work last season was having a foil to react to all of the nihlisitc dialogue he was spouting. It also worked because he was an outcast in a setting where those views were not considered the norm. When you have at least 3 of your main characters waxing poetic at one other it just doesn't work. The writers took the wrong thing away from last season.

Deku Tree

Yeah getting himself stabbed or worse by punching that guy was Vince's way to ensure that he died more quickly in the desert. He knew that he would never walk out of the that desert alive one way or another.

EDIT: The NYT got it wrong:

NYT said:
And then there’s Frank. In the end, did anything work out for Frank? He tried to go legit, albeit with a shady scheme, and everyone betrayed him. He tried to have a kid to secure his legacy and that didn’t work out, possibly because his wife betrayed him. (I was never clear on whether she always knew she was infertile or just suspected.) He then outsmarted and killed everyone who betrayed him only to be taken out by a random drug gang that seems to have been invented solely to make life terrible for Frank. And even then, he brokered a way out only to have a random henchman ask for his suit, which, one presumes, Frank might have handed over had that suit not contained his diamond nest egg.

hokahey

EDIT: The NYT got it wrong:

Granted, this season had some serious issues. But it seems like at least half of the complaints are from people who are just not smart enough to follow along. Yes the plot was convoluted, but people are screwing up simpld stuff.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Hotline Birdman should have killed more people.

Oh shit yeah, Birdman is back in play. Oh wait, he's just taking the diamonds for the tapes? Oh no, finally, Birdman's gonna kill another asshole.

Without his Birdman mask.

Amateur.

Wow, Frank shit talking Osip is hilarious. Never trust Vince Vaughn you KGB motherfucker!

Antigone still trying to save girls.

Len is fucked.

Woooooooo, Scarface is back?

Frank's got a fucking armory, nice.

Come on, time for vengeance!

Hahahaha Lera Lynn is playing in the middle of the day to a fucking empty bar. Best part of this season.
Considering he wrote every item on his list at least twice, he'd better have a shit-load of weapons.

So, poking more holes into the plot

If the parents of the two kids from the 90s had these diamonds, were they loaded? Because if they had those diamonds from being a rich couple, then how did they end up in an orphanage? Wouldn't even a distant relative be willing to be their guardians so as to partake in their nicer, well to do lives?

I dunno, that part of the story was a bit hard to swallow for me but perhaps i missed a detail somewhere that makes the two kids going to an orphanage make more sense.

So, poking more holes into the plot

If the parents of the two kids from the 90s had these diamonds, were they loaded? Because if they had those diamonds from being a rich couple, then how did they end up in an orphanage? Wouldn't even a distant relative be willing to be their guardians so as to partake in their nicer, well to do lives?

I dunno, that part of the story was a bit hard to swallow for me but perhaps i missed a detail somewhere that makes the two kids going to an orphanage make more sense.

They owned a jewelry store which the cop gang robbed during the 92 riots. They obviously didn't have any relatives if they got put into foster care. We don't really know how much money or debt they had, they might have gone into a lot of debt to keep the store open and maybe the insurance didn't pay off from riots or whatever.

Casper was fucking the mom too and the daughter was his, possibly/probably the son as well.

Alpende

Shit, I liked the finale. Didn't expect that much hate from the few pages I read this thread. It was an okay ending, some character choices were weird and the desert scene was great.

The bad people win and the good people die or lose. That's the way she goes. Overall an okay season.

Then it would have been harder for him to try to stop the bleeding with the diamonds. I think a lot of people didn't notice this additionally really dumb point:

55c81907169027501c6f142a_blood-diamonds.gif

He didn't try to stop the bleeding with the diamonds, he placed the diamonds in his inside pocket. The stab wound went through the pocket with the diamonds in them.

They owned a jewelry store which the cop gang robbed during the 92 riots. They obviously didn't have any relatives if they got put into foster care. We don't really know how much money or debt they had, they might have gone into a lot of debt to keep the store open and maybe the insurance didn't pay off from riots or whatever.

Casper was fucking the mom too and the daughter was his, possibly/probably the son as well.

yeah, but if you own a jewelry store and have millions in diamonds as part of your inventory it's pretty much implied that youre not poor and are probably doing better than the average citizen, no?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
lol i know. but it wouldn't have surprised me to be honest. it was mcadams and velcoro's, i take it. so at the point the timeline has jumped like a year+, i guess, with no indication otherwise.
You mean other than the montage showing Tony Chessani getting elected mayor, Woodraugh's mom, ex-fiance and now born child at the dedication ceremony to his stretch of highway, McAdam's hair being long again...

Jarmel

Banned
Another amazing moment from the finale I forgot (because with 90 minutes you're assured so many amazing moments!) is when Frank is sitting in the safehouse above the bar with the bartender, and then suddenly out of nowhere the sad girl song we've come to expect every episode starts, and she opens a window up so they can both sit and watch her play to.... no one at all. It's like one of those totally irrelevant scenes where the show is winking to the audience, because why else would it even exist? Lol.

I just started laughing because that was something a parody would do. Like it was, "We need the Lynn song here. Who is she singing to? Who gives a fuck, just throw it in there".

yeah, but if you own a jewelry store and have millions in diamonds as part of your inventory it's pretty much implied that youre not poor and are probably doing better than the average citizen, no?

For all we know, the jewelry store could've been a crooked front like the one Frank went to in Ep 7 to prepare for the shootout and couldn't operate like a normal shop would.

I just started laughing because that was something a parody would do. Like it was, "We need the Lynn song here. Who is she singing to? Who gives a fuck, just throw it in there".

Not to mention those songs had all the subtlety of the raps Will Smith used to do over the credits in his late 90s blockbusters

borborygmus

For all we know, the jewelry store could've been a crooked front like the one Frank went to in Ep 7 to prepare for the shootout and couldn't operate like a normal shop would.

"For all we know" is the phrase of the season, because we don't know anything. The key elements of the plot happened in 1992 and not only do the 4 leads know nothing about the robbery, the show also chooses not to reveal anything about it.

yeah, i suppose that's a possibility as much as what i've presented.

man, what a bummer of a season. not since season 6 of Lost have i anticipated a season more and been left completely underwhelmed by it.

"For all we know" is the phrase of the season, because we don't know anything. The key elements of the plot happened in 1992 and not only do the 4 leads know nothing about the robbery, the show also chooses not to reveal anything about it.

Mainly because the season was about corruption and sex I guess?

It's fun to figure out what the plot could've been, because I actually like a story in which the bad guys won. It seems more true to life. Too bad Pizzaman bit off way more than he could chew.

Trying to fit this much of a semi-complex story into 8 episodes... what the fuck even.

Jarmel

Banned
Frank's stuff in the desert was by all accounts fine. Him not giving up the suit wasn't that bad from a writing standpoint in that the audience can take it that either he knew he was dead anyway from being in the middle of nowhere, that his pride once again got the better of him, or that he didn't want to give up the diamonds. However it does present an issue in that Frank's reasons aren't overly clear in that whether his downfall was supposed to be a character flaw or him thinking practically. For a show obsessed with picking apart its' characters, for the final major decision of one to be clouded in this manner was a bad choice. If this season was supposed to be a character study then Frank's final act is a reflection of the failure this season encapsulates.

Now the walking bit was well done conceptually and Vaughn did a good job in the delivery. It did drag a bit but I think it was because I was getting tired of this long assed episode.

duckroll

That was another amazing moment in the finale. Where right in the middle of what is supposed to be a tense scene, one of the baddies starts rambling off an info dump on how shit went down, and casually drops a bomb that retroactively turns a minor plot point into Surprise Incest (TM). Lololol.

I'm watching the last episode now. This sucks. And I liked the previous episodes.

But I don't know who anyone is. I've seen them, but I don't care about them. Like the black cop.

Ugh.

Blader

None of the reviews I am reading are discussing this crucial plot point that I'm about to talk about.... Yeah they say that Lenny killed Caspere because of the diamond robbery and Lenny couldn't keep his cool and started the shoot out in the train station. But none of the reviews seem to want to mention the stupidest point that triggered the whole thing, that they killed Lenny's parents instead of just robbing them because they weren't Lenny's parents (well at least one of them). They killed the parents because Caspere was really the illegitimate father and he didn't like it. Such a stupid revelation, and such a horrible reason for them to kill the parents. I'm really surprised that some reviews are just ignoring that.

I was actually just going to ask this -- so was the diamond theft just a feint to cover up that Caspere really just wanted to get rid of a woman who was carrying his illegitimate daughter? And then stealing the diamonds was a way of disguising the situation as an armed robbery gone wrong (and maybe get Burris/Dixon/Holloway on board with helping out)?

Hamlet

Alright finale and the last few episodes were a lot stronger than the start, but still the season as a whole was a pretty disappointing muddled mess compared to the first season. If Pizzolatto decides to do a third season hopefully he takes more time to write season 3 and sets up a writers room. That should hopefully temper some of his more eh dialogue.
Felt Vince Vaughn was a lot better in these later episodes also. Shame it took so long though.

Jarnet87

Going back I find it a little strange Frank didn't think or plan anything for the Mexicans. He was extremely careful with all his other partners/connections. Guess he thought fuck them they won't even know, but he should of planned something with how dangerous they were.

Jarmel

Banned
That was another amazing moment in the finale. Where right in the middle of what is supposed to be a tense scene, one of the baddies starts rambling off an info dump on how shit went down, and casually drops a bomb that retroactively turns a minor plot point into Surprise Incest (TM). Lololol.

Oh yea like the guy just recounts everything like he was giving up accomplices in an interrogation room. I know Ray was supposed to reassure him that Ray didn't have a wire but that scene was atrocious. He totally infodumps in the perfect manner for Ray to record a confession. Then Ray fucking fumbles the damn recorder.

pantsmith

Going back I find it a little strange Frank didn't think or plan anything for the Mexicans. He was extremely careful with all his other partners/connections. Guess he thought fuck them they won't even know, but he should of planned something with how dangerous they were.

I don't think he expected the Armenians from the bakery to sell him out so quickly, or even to the Mexicans, but it sure makes sense in retrospect.

I'm watching the last episode now. This sucks. And I liked the previous episodes.

But I don't know who anyone is. I've seen them, but finding care about them. Like the black cop.

Ugh.

I think this season was both convoluted and self-indulgent to the point that you really needed to decompress after episodes with some kind of discussion just to process it all. Repeated viewings and subtitles have been a huge help in following along, as have people pointing out the classic movie references I would have otherwise missed.

I didn't even remember the Mexicans.

i didn't get the impression that Caspere was the father of both kids, just birdman's sister.

I did get the impression that Birdman very quickly processed that Caspere was not only the father of his sister but also at fault for her turning into a whore and very likely also did the dirty with her. Which, given that Birdman was about as stable as humpty dumpty atop the eiffel tower, set him off.

Denton

You know I would love to see True Detective season 3. If HBO gave it to, say, David Milch or Noah Hawley to write, David Fincher to direct, and Trent Reznor to score. I would love to watch that hard.

You know I would love to see True Detective season 3. If HBO gave it to, say, David Milch or Noah Hawley to write, David Fincher to direct, and Trent Reznor to score. I would love to watch that hard.

oh my god dude yes

(although you're describing Mr Robot, currently airing)

Top Bottom