• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Don't worry this isn't the 19 Kids And Counting thread.

dfgdfgdfgl4u5d.gif

Bruh

Vagabundo

I like that Farrell's character has most of the dorky lines. I hope they go with this. Some people just say stupid dorky crazy shit when they are angry or drunk.

CassSept

Visually, intro is great. Leonard Cohen is great and his song in the intro is great too. They don't really mesh that well though. Not as well as in season 1 intro.

The pilot was ok but it didn't have to be all about setting up the characters without delving into them too much. Ok so McAdams has problems of sexual nature, Kitsch has PTSD, Farrell is a cop with problems and Vaughn is a crooked businessman. That's... basically it. Actors play mostly well, but I hate Vaughn so it isn't helping. Well, and they mostly feel borderline caricaturized. OK it's harsh judging it by the pilot episode, but in an 8-episode short series I feel characters should be more interesting already. Right now I feel they are troubled people with dark secrets. Cool. Or maybe I'm spoiled by season 1.

With no counterweight the dialogue is too heavy and too unwieldy. It's all complete grimdark, no witty dialogue like in conversations between Marty and Rust that clashed their outlook on life, just morose monologues. Monologues that fall flat and feel '2deep4me' by themselves. And that scene with Farrell's character beating up the kid. Why. It just went too far. This, blowjob scene, Kitsch speeding at 100 mph on his motorcycle and stopping instantly. It almost feels like a parody at times.

Finally, the industrial setting doesn't work for me that well. The mysticism that permeated season 1 was magical. Beckoning, fascinating. California falls flat. Sure, it may be a different side to California, but it's still California which has been done to death in the television. It's simply not interesting.

We still don't know a lot about this season, but that doesn't mean we can't criticize what we've already seen. It may work out just well, but the spark that was there in season 1 is absent. Maybe it will subvert expectations. Maybe it will stun and shock us. But the foundation is still not there tbh.

Alpende

Watched it yesterday and I liked it. It was a slow episode and a lot was setting up future story lines and that's fine for a pilot. I like Farrel's character, not sure about the other 3 just yet. 'If you bully one more time' was pretty great though.

Robot Pants

Visually, intro is great. Leonard Cohen is great and his song in the intro is great too. They don't really mesh that well though. Not as well as in season 1 intro.

The pilot was ok but it didn't have to be all about setting up the characters without delving into them too much. Ok so McAdams has problems of sexual nature, Kitsch has PTSD, Farrell is a cop with problems and Vaughn is a crooked businessman. That's... basically it. Actors play mostly well, but I hate Vaughn so it isn't helping. Well, and they mostly feel borderline caricaturized. OK it's harsh judging it by the pilot episode, but in an 8-episode short series I feel characters should be more interesting already. Right now I feel they are troubled people with dark secrets. Cool. Or maybe I'm spoiled by season 1.

With no counterweight the dialogue is too heavy and too unwieldy. It's all complete grimdark, no witty dialogue like in conversations between Marty and Rust that clashed their outlook on life, just morose monologues. Monologues that fall flat and feel '2deep4me' by themselves. And that scene with Farrell's character beating up the kid. Why. It just went too far. This, blowjob scene, Kitsch speeding at 100 mph on his motorcycle and stopping instantly. It almost feels like a parody at times.

Finally, the industrial setting doesn't work for me that well. The mysticism that permeated season 1 was magical. Beckoning, fascinating. California falls flat. Sure, it may be a different side to California, but it's still California which has been done to death in the television. It's simply not interesting.

We still don't know a lot about this season, but that doesn't mean we can't criticize what we've already seen. It may work out just well, but the spark that was there in season 1 is absent. Maybe it will subvert expectations. Maybe it will stun and shock us. But the foundation is still not there tbh.

I dunno. I feel like its more about the characters than California.
I honestly was so against everything I heard about this season from the getgo, and is someone who really hated how the first season ended, so I went into season two with the worst of expectations and 100% ready to just roll my eyes at everything just out of spite. But I watched this episode twice back to back which really shocked me.

I like it, i just hope it ends with a good payoff.
Even though I'd love for it to fail because Pizzaman sounds like such a pretentious dick.

Something to mull over that was mentioned in an interview Lena Lynn (the singer who did 'The Only Thing Worth Fighting For' and 'My Least Favorite Life', she sung it in the bar):

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015...music-for-the-true-detective-season-premiere/

(spoilered the bit that fuels my speculation)

They worked quickly, building songs around phrases and imagery supplied by series creator Nic Pizzolatto. For the song that became “My Least Favorite Life,” she recalls, “I believe Nic said he was looking for a song about
a lover who dies and comes back as a crow
.”

It's probably a stretch, but

birdhead.png

If this is related (speculation below):

then everyone's gonna be chasing their asses looking for political/financial motivations... but the torture and murder of Ben Casper is personal. Perhaps related to the rapist killed by Ray? Maybe someone's targeting Frank (from when he was a crime boss) and now everything's gone to hell cause of it. Maybe Frank had something done to Ray's wife and framed the wrong man so that he'd have a cop in his back pocket?

Froli

Haven't seen the first episode but I'll try watching this show as if it has nothing to do with or even compare it to True Detective season 1. Might do the trick :p

Something to mull over that was mentioned in an interview Lena Lynn (the singer who did 'The Only Thing Worth Fighting For' and 'My Least Favorite Life', she sung it in the bar):

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015...music-for-the-true-detective-season-premiere/

(spoilered the bit that fuels my speculation)

It's probably a stretch, but

birdhead.png

If this is related (speculation below):

then everyone's gonna be chasing their asses looking for political/financial motivations... but the torture and murder of Ben Casper is personal. Perhaps related to the rapist killed by Ray? Maybe someone's targeting Frank (from when he was a crime boss) and now everything's gone to hell cause of it. Maybe Frank had something done to Ray's wife and framed the wrong man so that he'd have a cop in his back pocket?

Interesting theory.

Upon seeing the ep, my opinions/concerns

1. I liked the song. (the way I interpret it, it's like a song about secrets/double identities, however, the first time i heard it, it sounds like a song about Satan living among the populace - currently listening to it for the 5th time)
2. I thought the ep suffered from the too many cooks syndrome (I'm hoping for subsequent episodes that two of the characters have a good relationship similar but not exactly like Rust and Marty).
3. Out of all the characters, Colin just blew my mind.
I like the in-beteween shots of Ben being taken away (I had to watch the ep again to make sense of it).
5. I want to believe that Vince can pull out a serious role.

Ayt

Banned
Haven't seen the first episode but I'll try watching this show as if it has nothing to do with or even compare it to True Detective season 1. Might do the trick :p

That is how I'm approaching it. I think the time for comparisons with S1 is after S2 is over so that I have a better perspective. If I hyper analyze ever episode with S1 in mind, I'm almost certainly going to be disappointed.

it was alright. i can tell this won't be as satisfying as the first season because there's like 3 rust cohles and no marty.

colin farrell was hilarious though, he was quite entertaining. opening song was a bleh letdown, not a fan of leonard cohen at all.

also that final scene felt like a blatant trailer shot, these 3 strangers just staring at each other like "yeah we're the leads of this show and we all finally met, lets go on an adventure"

i didn't mind anybody in here except for vince vaughn. dude's presence (lack of tbh) bores me. the other 3 are fine so far though.

it was alright. i can tell this won't be as satisfying as the first season because there's like 3 rust cohles and no marty.

colin farrell was hilarious though, he was quite entertaining. opening song was a bleh letdown, not a fan of leonard cohen at all.

also that final scene felt like a blatant trailer shot, these 3 strangers just staring at each other like "yeah we're the leads of this show and we all finally met, lets go on an adventure"

Yeah, that felt really unnatural. Same goes for most of the dialogue. Like compare most of the shit in this first episode with the brilliance of something simple like that locker room scene in episode 2 or 3 of S1, where Rust comments on the way Hart smells. It's just not even close to that level of excellence. Really hope it picks up after this.

blAAAm

Banned
I got to watch the first episode yesterday and I really like what they are doing. The music was spot on and the acting was quite good. The toughest this to do is not to compare it to season 1.

turtle553

I like that Farrell's character has most of the dorky lines. I hope they go with this. Some people just say stupid dorky crazy shit when they are angry or drunk.

He's also a former/current criminal that is trying to say things to sound smarter than he probably is.

Squalor

Honestly I can't tell if that's a great line or a terrible one.
It's decent at best. It's certainly not great.

His line reading was off, though, and the fact that it was set up in such a ridiculously expository way made it even worse.

Yeah, I felt like that scene would have worked if it was the meeting of four people who were once involved with each other but hadn't seen each other in forever. As it is, it's four people who are logically pulled into the same case, which is a situation much better suited to a round of handshakes and quick intros, rather than staring at each other dramatically.

Squalor

That celebrity the motorcycle cop pulled over looked like Hillary Duff.
Looked like Blake Lively if you ask me.
It's Ashley Hinshaw, and she looks like neither.

She shows up again in episode five.
That was an embarrassingly bad scene. When I saw it in the trailer, I thought, "Oh, that's a cool promotional scene."

To have it be an actual scene from an episode, the first at that, is just bad.

- Deadline: ‘True Detective’ Up In Return, ‘Ballers’ Off To Strong Ratings Start, ‘The Brink’ Solid
Nic Pizzolatto’s brooding drama True Detective picked up where it left off, opening its second season with 3.2 million viewers at 9 PM and 4.3 million for the night. The 9 PM premiere was up +36% from True Detective’s series debut (2.3 million viewers) and ranks as the anthology drama’s second most watched telecast, only behind the Season 1 finale (3.5 million viewers). On Twitter, True Detective‘s presence (50.9 K tweets) grew 83% vs the series premiere.

My husband and I watched most of episode 1 for the second time last night. I remember we both looked at each other after Rachel McAdam's character seems to immediately go to the church after she and her partner serve the eviction notice. It didn't make sense for them to do it, until of course we find out that the church's leader is her father. It made even more sense when you think about the scene where she decides to bust her sister after "hearing a rumor" about it.

We both HATED the intro song. I like the intro itself, but not the music. As others have said they should have either reused the same song from Season 1, the promotional song, or even the song the chick sings in the bar.

And that last shot with all three characters looking at each other....it made my husband and I both laugh out loud at how corny it was.

That being said, it was only the first episode so we'll keep watching.

TM94

Thought it was a solid episode, can't see why it's garnered so much criticism, first season was slow to get going too.

Couple things

-Cinematography on this show is still top-tier
-Don't think the title song corresponds with the imagery, the track in the bar for Vaughan and Farrell would have been a better pick, or even the one they used in the first teaser trailer
-Miss the ominous atmosphere of the Deep South, occult angle set True Detective apart I think.

Also

proxy.jpg

So...

Where's the goddamn music, HBO? The Nick Cave and Lena Lynn tracks. I thought after each episode they were supposed to be released on iTunes?

Thought it was a solid episode, can't see why it's garnered so much criticism, first season was slow to get going too.

Couple things

-Don't think the title song corresponds with the imagery, the track in the bar for Vaughan and Farrell would have been a better pick, or even the one they used in the first teaser trailer
-Miss the ominous atmosphere of the Deep South, occult angle set True Detective apart I think.

Also

proxy.jpg

720x405-4615797431tl15.jpg

Couple things

Also

proxy.jpg

yep, i agree with all of this. kind of funny how divisive the title song is. i thought it was super cheesy, but my girl said she thought it was really good. however, she has horrible taste in music in general so... yeah. and i'm kind of surprised to hear people slamming the crazy zoom out in the last shot. i thought it was pretty amazing and i enjoyed the cinematography throughout. i definitely think it's lacking the atmosphere of the first season though and i'm not sure there's much they can do about that given the setting.

Arc

The important question no one is asking is will we get another legendary scene like the one with Alexandra D'darrio last year.

Dice//

Banned

I liked it when the female vocalizations kick in, adding a bit more melody to the brooding track.

Best line/s/:
“You’re supposed to savour that.”
“Let me try it again.”

Worst/funniest:
"You ever bully or hurt anybody again, I’ll come back and butt fuck your father with your mom’s headless corpse on the goddamn lawn"

kiguel182

I liked it when the female vocalizations kick in, adding a bit more melody to the brooding track.

Best line/s/:
“You’re supposed to savour that.”
“Let me try it again.”

Worst/funniest:
"You ever bully or hurt anybody again, I’ll come back and butt fuck your father with your mom’s headless corpse on the goddamn lawn"

I still think that last line was so over the top and deranged that it worked given how fucked up his character is.

Top Bottom