• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

What would GAF think about a third season directed by Nicholas Winding-Refn, scored by Cliff Martinez?

This could work, maybe. Lin did admirably, but I think I was absolutely spoiled by Fukunaga. His work in season 1 was gorgeous- consistently.
As far as music:
Cliff Martinez is amazing, like one of my absolute favorites for ambient soundtracks, but I love what T Bone has been doing.

kaskade

I feel like Ani was abused or raped. All those knives and stuff could be her protection having all the backups and everything. Unless I missed something.

I mentioned this earlier but I think it's worth reiterating. There is no Marty in this season right now and despite Rust being the overwhelming fan favorite, you also need someone like Marty for multiple reasons.

It's over the top and none of the characters are serving as a bridge to the audience.

Having watched the first two episodes of S1 since I watched the season 2 premiere, I think this is spot on. None of these characters are very relatable, but more importantly none of them are reining in the moody (and at times ridiculous) indulgent philosophizing the way that Marty did in the first season.

I'm still gonna stay on for episode 2, I want to see if it gets better or not.

Only if Ryan Gosling is the lead.

Gosling has shown he can do damaged aloof pretty-boy fairly well, so I guess he'd be a perfect fit.

kyser73

The corruption angle is straight out of Chinatown and latterly LA Confidential.

Nice that they've tied it to real life too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What's with this ass and pin line everyone keeps making fun of? When did it happen? I don't remember it.

J.EM1

Why is it that at the end, the three leads introduce themselves to each other, and then Antigone's partner says "The fuck is Vinci" and then walks away.

That's unprofessional dude.
It's a common thing here in LA and LA County. We have a lot of cities and unincorporated areas. So someone in law enforcement may not have heard of "Vinci PD".. I've seen it happen in my job where agents are unfamiliar with a city's PD within the geographic location of Los Angeles.

He wants the answer to his question, but he needs the bad pussy

Wait wrong show

giphy.gif

What is the consensus here? I loved the first episode. I'm quite confused and there was a lot going on, but that's ok. There seems to be a lot of storylines happening at once, and Colin's character after episode 1 makes me want to watch him constantly. He seemed like a really messed up piece of shit, and I love it.

Glanced at a few reviews and they weren't feeling it as much. Eh...

Jigorath

Banned
Boy, all three of the (true) detectives are such losers. They're all broken down with dark pasts who need redemption. And one of them has daddy issues. And one has trouble connecting to his son. And one is kind of insane. I like him the most.

Pretty good premiere.

Air

Banned
Hmm.

-I like the new intro a lot.
-felt just as slow as the first episode in the first season to me. A lot of character establishing stuff.
-cinematography is good, but gonna miss fukanaga.
-too many characters and substories. The charm of the first season to me was the simple partner dynamic. I'm actually disappointed that the cast seems much larger now. I don't think it plays to the writers strengths.
-I do think the first episode is a solid B, there's a lot they can do with it, and I'm getting some eyes wide shut vibes which is good, but I think what's gonna make or break this is the juggling of all these character stories and arcs. I'm hoping they turn them down as the episodes go on.

A much different beast than Season One.

I loved it. A beautiful slow burn, establishing these folks' lives and then bringing em all together! That shot of them all looking at each other at the end was beautiful.

Interested to see where this goes.

This was an amazing line:

"I used to want to be an astronaut.... but astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore"

The scene in the bar with Vaughn and Farrell was fantastic.

With a (made up to look) cracked out Lera Lynn singing a truly depressing song gave this scene a very David Lynch vibe.

I also read that inspiration from Oedipus Rex by Sophicles was present in writing the show.

Count me in

DrBo42

I thought for sure it was going to be a trainwreck from promos but the first ep was decent. Maybe too many characters. Dat Rachel McAdams though. <3

This was an amazing line:

"I used to want to be an astronaut.... but astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore"

Honestly I can't tell if that's a great line or a terrible one.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Well I just watched that. Uhm... not really feeling it so far. So many corny lines of dialogue. I think I'm too used to blazing through multiple episodes at once so watching just this one is a let down. Colin is putting on the best performance thus far by a country mile. I think I'll come to appreciate Vince once his character is more fleshed out. I have no idea about this biker cop that doesn't want to be on the sidelines. Then there's the chick with daddy issues that thinks she's better than everyone else which is majorly annoying.

I'm probably going to wait it out and end up watching this all at once this fall or xmas since the blurays will most certainly be out by the holidays.

Honestly I can't tell if that's a great line or a terrible one.

I think it's fantastic. Cynical suggestion of the idea that we don't really dream big anymore.

We used to go to the moon man. Kids used to grow up dreaming about exploring beyond our world. Now we barely even try to leave it

The scene in the bar with Vaughn and Farrell was fantastic.

With a (made up to look) cracked out Lera Lynn singing a truly depressing song gave this scene a very David Lynch vibe.

I was picking up on that Lynch vibe as well. This might just be an effect of having just read through the Twin Peaks thread, but in addition to the bar scene, seeing Farrell speaking into the recorder reminds me of Agent Cooper's "Dianne" monologues.
Not to mention the "seedy underbelly hidden underneath a functioning exterior" motif, shots of contemplative guys riding around on motorcycles, and, of course, a murder mystery at the center of it all.

Maybe the occult influence won't be absent from this season after all...

Top Bottom