• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Arkeband

Banned
I don't think anyone responded to my speculation when the episode was still fresh, but here goes:

Pizzaman said that there was no Yellow King this season. I'm calling bullshit!

• The skeleton in the house they investigated was covered in topaz gems.
  • The idol in Ani's father's dojo was wearing a bright yellow luau.
Anyone else catch a specific use of color like this? I'm antagonistically opposing the advice offered up in season 1 and looking for things that aren't there. C'thulu ftagn!

Blader

it was alright. i can tell this won't be as satisfying as the first season because there's like 3 rust cohles and no marty.

That was my take too. Not that I think Pizzaman has to write another Marty/Rust dynamic, but so far it's three Rusts without a foil. Then again they only just met, so who knows.

Basically I thought it was fine; didn't dislike it and the hate around it seems kind of ridiculous, but it wasn't great and didn't impress me as much S1's first episode.

Opening credits are still slick as hell, but I hated the song -- sorry Leonard Cohen. That new Nick Cave song would've been a much better fit instead of as a one-off closing track.

Wabba

Liked the first episode, dont think that anything can top the first season in acting, writing or atmosphere but still the more city approach is great. The only thing that bothers me is that both Colin Farrel, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch character feels like they are the same. Hope that we get some more diversity. Also never liked Vince, and i can in under 10 second picture 5 people that could fill the role better. Still hope that he gives us something that we have never seen from him before. Just started reading Galveston also, this summer is going to be all True Detective.

Robot Pants

I don't think anyone responded to my speculation when the episode was still fresh, but here goes:

Pizzaman said that there was no Yellow King this season. I'm calling bullshit!

• The skeleton in the house they investigated was covered in topaz gems.
  • The idol in Ani's father's dojo was wearing a bright yellow luau.
Anyone else catch a specific use of color like this? I'm antagonistically opposing the advice offered up in season 1 and looking for things that aren't there. C'thulu ftagn!
Not sure why you would even bother looking for these things or be interested in it since none of it went ANYWHERE last season.

Arkeband

Banned
Not sure why you would even bother looking for these things or be interested in it since none of it went ANYWHERE last season.

I'm a glutton for punishment. And when the Yellow King shows up in Episode 8, I can run around screaming "I told you so! They said I was crazy, but I knew better!"

Squalor

I'm a glutton for punishment. And when the Yellow King shows up in Episode 8, I can run around screaming "I told you so! They said I was crazy, but I knew better!"
The Yellow King isn't showing up until the third season after HBO begs Fukunaga back.

I was reading this article on vox. I think that is a good recap and gives hope.

True Detective's season 2 premiere was a new pilot. That's why it was so bad.

Not only do I fervently disagree with your view that this presents it as optimistic, but I strongly disagree that, in light of the content of the article, the title is meant to be something encouraging (i.e. the optimistic view that the title means it was bad by nature of being a pilot as opposed to the pessimistic view that it was a pilot which is what makes it so worrying).

The writer opens with the confession that he didn't like the first episode of the second season. He clarifies that it faces a challenge in being a premiere, and premieres are tricky to do. He then furthers that by suggesting it's basically a pilot episode, as nothing is returning except the name and writer which makes it trickier than a normal premiere. He explains that overcoming a poor pilot or premiere isn't generally a problem for television shows and one of the easiest problems to overcome.

However, his issue was not by nature of it being a premiere, or a pilot. His issue is that the episode had issues at a fundamental level which are irrelevant to it being a new start, or an opening episode. The problem is that the episode has absolutely no focus, and doesn't know what story to tell, a worrying sign for the future. It captures four vignettes, but injects no reason to make any of those compelling or original, and the promise that they will interject is not enough. They bubble with cliché. None of them, unlike the first season's premiere, have anything interesting, new, or nuanced about them. The writer hypothesis that this may be because in season one he was free in terms of the time he had to do so, to create the bones of the Marty and Rust story himself and ensure it was well-crafted and unique. He didn't have this same freedom in the second season and simply fell back upon cliché and tropes. He suspects that a contributing aspect is his absence of a writers room where people are constantly trying to out do each other and creative ideas can form; unlike in season one where he had time and Fukunaga, here he only had himself. The writer of the article believes that the episode failed because while the scenario itself is full of promise, the episode's writer (Pizzaman) has no idea how to bring it all together, tries to brute force it via a character study, and mostly fails completely.

The writer does believe that the season could pull out of the decline that is the opening, sure, but I came away interpretting the tite as saying it's the fact that it's basically a pilot that failed that makes it a particularly bad sign for the future episode of the show, not that it was bad by nature of being a pilot. Perhaps I'm just much more pessimistic though.

EDIT: Also, the opening, I agree with the complaint that the music didn't really match the imagery.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
One of the people behind the 'The only thing worth fighting for' song, confirmed on twitter that it was the themesong for the show. Then they were forced to delete the tweet.
My assumption is that it was indeed the opening song, but somehow, they felt the need to go the opposite direction and completely ruin some nice familiarity they could have carried over from the trailer they put out.

Of interest, the HBO vid is titled True Detective Season 2: Opening Credits Episode #1 rather than True Detective Season 2: Opening Credits...

tE0hEjH.gif

duckroll

Of interest, the HBO vid is titled True Detective Season 2: Opening Credits Episode #1 rather than True Detective Season 2: Opening Credits...

I think that's because the credits themselves specifically apply to episode 1. Can't remember if the credits for Season 1 ever changed for the supporting crew, but since Fukunaga directed every single episode and Pizzaman wrote every single episode, maybe not? In this case Justin Lin only directed the first two episodes, and Pizzaman apparently co-wrote two episodes with another writer, so that might be why they're specifying it as episode #1 credits.

I think that's because the credits themselves specifically apply to episode 1. Can't remember if the credits for Season 1 ever changed for the supporting crew, but since Fukunaga directed every single episode and Pizzaman wrote every single episode, maybe not? In this case Justin Lin only directed the first two episodes, and Pizzaman apparently co-wrote two episodes with another writer, so that might be why they're specifying it as episode #1 credits.
Yeah, you're probably right. I just paused for a second earlier this week when they posted it under that name.

Pimpwerx

I enjoyed the season premiere. I was worried about the casting, but it looks like they each fit their roles well. Colin's character is a fucking psychopath. PEACE.

LgBu1EP.gif

jelly

Vaughn's acting seemed to consist of holding his normal self back and focusing his stare. Bit empty and really himself in the end. Episode went nowhere and some odd moments but I'll stick with it for now.

I was mostly amused by Dan Houser in the file. GTA. That and the aerial shots, felt like a nod.

Pooya

Vaughn's acting seemed to consist of holding his normal self back and focusing his stare. Bit empty and really himself in the end. Episode went nowhere and some odd moments but I'll stick with it for now.

I was mostly amused by Dan Houser in the file. GTA. That and the aerial shots, felt like a nod.

Dialog was a lot like GTA too at times.

Nameless

Pretty good, even though it did feel outwardly formulaic in a way that last season didn't. The TV beats really stood out without some of the clever attempts at masking them -- which is fine, it is a TV show after all, I just found it a bit jarring coming from S1.

Visually things are still super interesting. The show's version of the Los Angeles area had a darker, cooler, sort of Nolan-esque feel to it, which immediately set it apart from the gazillions of stories set in & around the city.

McAdams and Farrell were great. Vaughn and Riggins were serviceable. Looking forward to seeing where it all goes.

eh, nothing about that line struck me as anything but someone angry saying an incredibly awful thing. It's fine. People seem to really be coming at this episode hard but the only writing I found to be a bit crap was the stuff surround VV. He just seems out of place and none of his lines are hitting like anything but him reading off of a page.

Squalor

What is unrealistic about it? He is a fucked up asshole and fit perfectly in line with his character.
Seriously...?

You really think a cop can just go to a civilian's house and beat the shit out of him like that? He pretty much identified who he was. He'd be in trouble that same night. The dialogue was ridiculous.

Pizzolatto is trying so hard to make this so brooding and dark and oppressive, and it just turned into an overwrought affair filled with exposition with no meaningful character development.
True Detective isn't a documentary, though. It has writers.
No it doesn't. It has a writer. And that's the problem.

Seriously...?

You really think a cop can just go to a civilian's house and beat the shit out of him like that? He pretty much identified who he was. He'd be in trouble that same night. The dialogue was ridiculous.

Pizzolatto is trying so hard to make this so brooding and dark and oppressive, and it just turned into an overwrought affair filled with exposition with no meaningful character development.

No it doesn't. It has a writer. And that's the problem.
This is the same person who went to his son's school and was ready to pull his pants down and spank him in front of everyone unless he told him a little kid's name. He also beat the shit out and tortured (killed?) a journalist to get information for a crime boss. It's even been hinted that he likely killed the person who raped his ex-wife. But this seems over the top for you? We don't know how much information he revealed or how much his back is covered by the same crime boss he helped out. The same one that was in the room with the mayor of the town during his speech. That was perfectly inline with his character so far in episode 1.

My eyes might suffer from eyerolling so hard at writer tries hard to make something brooding and dark line. Things can be brooding and dark. You don't like that type of style, go watch something else that fits your taste. What blank and utterly meaningless comment. It's like the journalist slogans that we often read that mean absolutely nothing. Both characters in season 1 had plenty of character development, and we loved them throughout. Unless of course you have seen the future and seen how every one of these characters developed throughout season 2.

It has a writer and that's the problem? The best new show on TV that year had the same writer. Do you want to complain for the sake of complaining at this point?

bomma_man

yep, i agree with all of this. kind of funny how divisive the title song is. i thought it was super cheesy, but my girl said she thought it was really good. however, she has horrible taste in music in general so... yeah. and i'm kind of surprised to hear people slamming the crazy zoom out in the last shot. i thought it was pretty amazing and i enjoyed the cinematography throughout. i definitely think it's lacking the atmosphere of the first season though and i'm not sure there's much they can do about that given the setting.

She's not the one with bad taste if you don't like Leonard Cohen

It has a writer and that's the problem? The best new show on TV that year had the same writer. Do you want to complain for the sake of complaining at this point?

Weren't Fukunaga and Pizza kinda check-and-balancing each other, though? I mean, I know Pizza wrote it, but it sounded like it was a lot more collaborative than it has been this season.

Plus, Pizza probably isn't gonna steal Ligotti's writing this year, which is where most of Rust's monologues/philosophy dialogue came from.

Chiggs

Gold Member
She's not the one with bad taste if you don't like Leonard Cohen

Zing!

Hey, you know what's missing from this thread? More people with terrible taste whining about the new intro song and then providing links to YouTube videos where the Season 1 song is played over the new intro!

Perhaps we could get more of that.

Top Bottom