• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

I like it so far. I won't let it simply sit in the shadow of season one. A little widespread in the character development area, but I enjoyed it.

AberLink

Lera Lynn is a amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFh71_ftxLE

the full version of My Least Favorite Life is up.

Thanks for the heads up! She's incredible.

I'm hoping that they are able to pull everything together midway to the end of the season, so that they keep the caliber of this show at a high level. This is my favorite series, but man am I confused after that first episode. However, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt of it being the first episode.

I was scared this season was going to disappoint based off some critics middling early reviews but after Sunday night I am confident this will not be the case. Two days later and I keep thinking about the show and slowly I am piecing together the character motivations when all we get are small fragments the entire episode.

I loved the opening music and the artwork during the credits reminds me of the Metallica Load cover art. A lot of effort (or maybe none lol) goes in to making the setting feel like LA, like in season 1 where we were often treated to views of the deep south; I really like these touches.

Somehow I never get tired of Vince Vaughn
doing his salesmen act. I expected myself to cringe at another sales attempt but nope, I bought in once again.

At the end shot, if the The Killing music started playing I would have been thoroughly fooled in to thinking I just watched an episode of it instead. Not a bad way to end the pilot episode, I cant wait until next Sunday.

AberLink

I was scared this season was going to disappoint based off some critics middling early reviews but after Sunday night I am confident this will not be the case. Two days later and I keep thinking about the show and slowly I am piecing together the character motivations when all we get are small fragments the entire episode.

I loved the opening music and the artwork during the credits reminds me of the Metallica Load cover art. A lot of effort (or maybe none lol) goes in to making the setting feel like LA, like in season 1 where we were often treated to views of the deep south; I really like these touches.

Somehow I never get tired of Vince Vaughn
doing his salesmen act. I expected myself to cringe at another sales attempt but nope, I bought in once again.

At the end shot if, the The Killing music started playing I would have been thoroughly fooled in to thinking I just watched an episode of it instead. Not a bad way to end the pilot episode, I cant wait until next Sunday.

I've found myself piecing things together this week too, which I think is cool. It's been a while since I've done that with a show. I didn't watch Season 1 until a couple months ago, so I had the luxury to binge watch it.

I have a gut feeling that things will get crazy halfway through this season, which have not been reviewed by critics yet.

What was that bird-like thing on the seat in the car? A statue?
Did we see it more than once in the episode?

birdhead.png

=

A Pizzaman take on The Crow, that 80s Brandon Lee revenge flick about the dude that comes back from the dead on a soul of a crow or something. It's a mask worn by someone who's emerged from the woodwork for vengeance. I'm going with the assumption that it's a mask.

From a WSJ article linked earlier:

They worked quickly, building songs around phrases and imagery supplied by series creator Nic Pizzolatto. For the song that became “My Least Favorite Life,” she recalls, “I believe Nic said he was looking for a song about a lover who dies and comes back as a crow.”

I'm calling it now. I feel very strongly about this theory, guys!

wingwah

Banned
I know criticism of the opening theme song has been beaten to death, but it's probably the worst the worst of all time...Quite a departure from season 1's.

Rur0ni

A lot of this hate feels unwarranted.

Well, how can you blame Season 2's critics? I mean, Rust's monologues in Season 1 were so subtle. They certainly weren't over the top or anything. Just natural, flowing dialogue.

True Detective Season 1: Absolute Perfection (especially the ending).

So is season 1 worth buying on Bluray? I haven't watched a single episode but I'd want something gritty and realistic.
Do buy.

Kadayi

Banned

I've read Hagakure and that interpretation doesn't ring true at all. It's not about being dead, it's about being clear in your thoughts, actions and comportment to the extent that you're able to focus solely on the present moment because at any given time it might be your last. The wise samurai ensures that nothing is left undone so that when the call to action is required they are ready to act without hesitation.

Anyway, but yeah enjoyed the first episode and looking forward to where it takes us.

I re-watched the first episode this morning, mostly to listen to the Lera Lynn song again, and actually found it entertaining. A little more time with the main characters and lowered expectations goes a long way.

El Daniel

I also just rewatched it. I liked it the first time but I was pretty tired then. Now, everything was much clearer. Can't wait for the next episode!

Daffy Duck

Just watched it and I loved the intro song with the imagery and also loved the first episode.

Set things up nicely, it will take a mammoth effort to top the chemistry from S1 but I'm pretty confident in what I've seen to say this will be good.

Just caught up with episode one. I think it's going to be really hard to top season 1 as far as ":O" moments go, but I'm very willing to be proven wrong.

I almost feel like they had to throw the crow head thing in there to be like "guys don't worry, it's going to get weird again."

Edit: also i forgot about the milk bowl. That was...something.

Renegade Yeti

Neo Member
Personally I wasn't a fan of the first episode , I thought it descended into self parody with that song in the bar, it was a solid 5 mins of " depressed depressed , every buggers depressed , your depressed I'm depressed we are all depressed"

Theorry

Watched the episode again and still very impressed by Rachel McAdams. Was expecting Farrel to steal the show or Vaughn to be the big surprise. But she is just great. Her facial expressions are very good. Not over acting or anything but still selling it.

Cool character spot also about her character,

https://youtu.be/UaxrcWskSDA

"Let's make the car a place of silent reflection"

p4XQjTS.jpg

pbVVAKC.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Odd first episode, I have to say. I'm a bit on the fence with it. I figured the ending would tie them all to one case, and I figured it would be the murder of Caspere.

But perhaps there are too many characters with too many problems between them all? How about a little more balance?

Not

Banned
Excited to watch the rest of the series. First episode didn't blow me away, but it has the potential to be great still.

kingocfs

Watched the episode again and still very impressed by Rachel McAdams. Was expecting Farrel to steal the show or Vaughn to be the big surprise. But she is just great. Her facial expressions are very good. Not over acting or anything but still selling it.

Agreed, I immediately gravitated to her. Badass.

MagnesD3

I really enjoyed this episode, it has a very unique feel from the first season while retaining a certain style to it that the first one had. The biggest challenge was juggling all those characters in the first episode, its alot of info to take in one viewing. I recommend re watching it to try to absorb all that was given. So far so good, hopefully it just keeps getting better.

Clevinger

So yeah, that wasn't too hot. It's probably been said before, but Rust on his own would be a fucking ridiculous and insufferable character. You need something like Marty to counterbalance it and poke fun at it. Now you have three Rust-lites moping around and it's just silly. I started cracking up when they're in the bar and this hunched over girl starts singing this morose as fuck song. And again when Rust-lite's waitress had this giant scar across her face.

And I'll go against the grain and say McAdams wasn't anything special. She had a goofy constipated look on her face most of the episode. Granted, she didn't have much to work with but whatever.

Best parts were Ferrall's character acting like a fucking lunatic and the hunger and astronaut lines.

So yeah, that wasn't too hot. It's probably been said before, but Rust on his own would be a fucking ridiculous and insufferable character. You need something like Marty to counterbalance it and poke fun at it. Now you have three Rust-lites moping around and it's just silly. I started cracking up when they're in the bar and this hunched over girl starts singing this morose as fuck song. And again when Rust-lite's waitress had this giant scar across her face.

And I'll go against the grain and say McAdams wasn't anything special. She had a goofy constipated look on her face most of the episode. Granted, she didn't have much to work with but whatever.

Best parts were Ferrall's character acting like a fucking lunatic and the hunger and astronaut lines.

I think now that we have three highly unstable and dysfunctional cops teaming up, we'll see what kind of nightmare mess results when you actually throw that potent cocktail together and set it on fire.

Marty counterbalanced Rust and had his own brand of crazy. These three could very possibly end up trying to murder one another.

Exokell

Banned
Kinda off topic, but I just finished the first season of Fargo and it was just brilliant. The show was so much better than the first season of true detective. I feel like I do not need to watch season 2 of true detective bec of Fargo. Anyway any of you watched rectify? Is it good?

Top Bottom