• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Kinda off topic, but I just finished the first season of Fargo and it was just brilliant. The show was so much better than the first season of true detective. I feel like I do not need to watch season 2 of true detective bec of Fargo. Anyway any of you watched rectify? Is it good?

This has nothing to do with True Detective and I'm gonna give it a couple of hours before Cornballer drops in and stares at you into submission.

breakfuss

A lotttt to take in but I liked it. Took me a few episodes to warm up to the first season so this at least has accessibility going for it. Was cracking up when he beat that kid's dad up.

Despite all the problems I had with that pilot, and I had a lot of them, I still really want to see the next episode. I can't wait for Sunday. I do think Vinny V is just not a very good dramatic actor though. He should stick to comedy.

Drewly

Banned
I like colin's performance, I was laughing hard at the beat down of the dad.

When the show started though will him being interviewed I thought, wtf it's the exact same as last season. I'm glad it was just a single small scene.

Vagabundo

Despite all the problems I had with that pilot, and I had a lot of them, I still really want to see the next episode. I can't wait for Sunday. I do think Vinny V is just not a very good dramatic actor though. He should stick to comedy.

To be fair to him he doesn't seem to have a lot to work with.

Robot Pants

Huh

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetecti...ason_2spoilers_regarding_paul_woodrughs_past/

This is only a theory. Take it with a grain of Salt. Also Season 1 spoilers
Well I guess. But if he really had such a troubled past especially sexually, why even get involved with that girl (and oh my god THAT girl [smoking hot]) or any girl at all?

I kinda assumed from the trailers that he came across Frank in his evil heyday and whatever fire Frank lights in the one trailer is responsible for his Kitschs burns.
Like a flashback scene

bar scene kind of reminded me of a david lynch movie. the pause was awkward but i loved the song.

if they played that exact scene without the closeups on their faces it would have worked better.

Mistle

I really dig the opening song. Sounds great with a sub, and also backing vocals coming from the rear speakers. Totally sets the mood of the show.

As for the ep, it definitely has promise. I wasn't completely hooked but it seems to have a lot of potential to get interesting.

ValfarHL

Loved the first episode after my first watching. I liked not knowing what the fuck was going on, and not knowing how all the characters would connect until the end.

It doesn't have to be like season one. What's wrong with three fucked up main characters? They're still way different. It's gonna be a glorious ride!

7aged

Late to the party. I just saw it today.
It had a weakish start IMO, then got stronger.
Wasn't a big fan of the intro. Visually it was too similar to the 1st season's but without the bleak expanse of white that made the original. It felt repetitive and underwhelming. The interview at the opening was also meh.

But once it got going the story was interesting. I think the setting here actually has more potential than the 1st season (which kind of pancaked for me). Thanks to this series I was introduced to the city of Vernon, CA. Who would believe a modern day rotten borough would still exist in the 21st century. And in Los Angeles county no less. Incredible!

There were too many characters to juggle around in one episode, so it'll take a few more to get a feel for them. I was drawn to the Vince Vaughn character. Strangely, the lack of certainty and gravitas in the performance gives him a conflicted aura. McAdams so far is the most dissapointing, she felt a bit one dimensional. But it's still early days.

Can't wait till the next episode.

jett

D-Member
The problem with this episode is that it's unable to stand on its own, nothing but one long-ass setup were nothing of interest occurred, despite the show juggling so many pieces. Or maybe that's why. Four main characters and I don't give a rat's ass about any of them.

Were the critics judging the entire show or just a few episodes btw?

Fjordson

The problem with this episode is that it's unable to stand on its own, nothing but one long-ass setup were nothing of interest occurred, despite the show juggling so many pieces. Or maybe that's why. Four main characters and I don't give a rat's ass about any of them.

Were the critics judging the entire show or just a few episodes btw?
Reviews were based on first three episodes I believe.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I loved how bleak it was but one of these characters will have a redemption that'll give the show the sense of hope it'll probably need down the line. Colins character is probably gonna spiral, hard.

I loved how bleak it was but one of these characters will have a redemption that'll give the show the sense of hope it'll probably need down the line. Colins character is probably gonna spiral, hard.

Bet the final scene with him will be him in jail apologizing to his son, with him having shaved off his mustache and cut his hair.

Kinda off topic, but I just finished the first season of Fargo and it was just brilliant. The show was so much better than the first season of true detective. I feel like I do not need to watch season 2 of true detective bec of Fargo. Anyway any of you watched rectify? Is it good?
I also liked Fargo does that mean I shouldn't watch Hannibal?

I really liked the first episode of season 2, just watched it now. Season 1 also started off slow, it was simply introducing the characters and a bit of the backstory but all in all, there was nothing about Season 1 overall which was amazing. S1 consisted of 2 main characters, one of which was that motherfucker Matthew that does the same accent again and again, talentless little thing he has no scope in his profile at all. S2 has a lot more potential due to there being 4 main characters, think it will be a lot better than S1 when all is said and done. Loving Farrells character so far just one episode in.

Honestly, I didn't think the first episode was as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I'll admit I went into it with somewhat lowered expectations due the lukewarm reviews I had been reading.

The two things that concern me the most are the fact we went from two main characters in the first season to now four in the second, and also the fact that it seems all of the characters seem really screwed up and dysfunctional.

I feel like you needed Marty in the first season to counteract Rust, someone who had the facade of being a normal guy. I say facade because Marty was still ultimately a pretty screwed up guy, just not in a living on the edge sort of way like Rust was.

First episode was alright. Season one grabbed me a lot quicker though. I also don't particularly like any of the main characters yet. Was there a next episode preview at the end? My recording stopped midway through the credits for some reason.

Nibel

I was sceptical when I heard about the reviews but I really enjoyed the first episode. It's a different look, but I still get the same TD vibes that I love.

I'm okay with this and excited for the next one. Colin is so fucked up though, wow.
KuGsj.gif

Not sure if this was mentioned but does anyone think
Frank's assistant/associate/bro who has the same hair colour as the kid
raped Ray's wife? I read it in a YouTube comment and that would be an interesting twist.

DrBo42

Maybe it's asphyxiation. Would tie into the theme of all the characters having this desire to flirt with death.

That's what I was thinking. That or she wants to be hit. Some sort of boring self-punishment personality trait/trope while criticizing her sister for being sexually free. Yawn.

Klocker

Finally just caught it... completely ignoring season one...

I loved it. Looking forward to the new twists, really digging the cast, the back stories and the chemistry in that last scene

Derwind

I don't like the intro...

The 1st episode was everywhere, it was too oddly paced for me.

I'll hold out my ultimate verdict of the show until the next few episodes.

Season 1 was really entertaining so I'm hoping Season 2 can deliver.

gimmmick

Binged watched season 1 on my vacation this this week. Wow , how the hell did I miss this show?

Saw the first episode of s2 last Sunday, hopefully this season will be just as good (though I doubt it will). I'm kinda wishing I didn't watch season one now :(

Finally watched the first episode last night. Felt like a slower start than s1 with the body being found at the end being the thing that brings the various threads together. The thing I do like about Pizzaman's characters is they feel like people, without the "he's a cop so he's a good guy" or "he's a mobster so he's a bad guy" mindset. Everybody is gray. Everybody has their own reasons for doing what they're doing.

It'll be tough not to compare this to s1. That may be the biggest challenge for shows like this.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So how screwed up is that bully kid now? Haha damn.

buttfuck your dad with your moms head lol

Jarnet87

Got to watching the first episode. I liked it, hard to compare to season 1 episode 1 without a rewatch. I think i am gonna go back and watch season 1 this week or maybe just wait til this one is over. I thought Colin Farrell was the best of the bunch, Kitsch next, and McAdams my least favorite.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finally watched it and I liked it. I bet if it didn't have the name attached it wouldn't have been so panned.

Top Bottom