• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

hiryu

I'm loving this season. This season is very different than the first which is probably where a lot of the disappointment is coming from. Definitely getting the noire vibe from it.

kiguel182

This has way too many characters. I'm having an hard time keeping up with everyone and the names they keep dropping. Like, who the hell is Stan?

Just, there's too much stuff. Not only there's 4 main characters but then each have a team working with them and then the whole investigation. It's just too much.

Farrell is the only one that stands out in the middle of all of this. VV's character is bland, the other dude is a terrible actor and a total bore and Rachel Mcadams is just there being "troubled" without any development at all.

This season is the proof that less is no doubt more.

this_guy

I don't have much faith left in this season, but I'll give it another episode. It took until episode 4 in the first season for me to really get into True Detective.

This season has been pretty boring, and some of the scenes are just difficult to watch - they're so boring and poorly acted. Pretty much any scene with Vince Vaughn's character and his wife is like this for me. There's also something about VV's acting that is just so stiff and it's distracting - it's like you can tell the director told him "now be outraged!" and Vince starts yelling to make it seem like his character is mad, but he still has a bored look on him.

That fight scene was just another misfire. It felt like watching 2 middle school kids who can't fight try to fight each other. It was a chance to show how menacing Vaughn's character is and why he's respected, but instead I just feel bad for the guy he was fighting because he was fat and slow.

Collin Farrell's presence on screen is the only time when the show is not hard to watch.

Blader

I thought this was actually Vaughn's best episode. It's the first time I ever thought he was a believable character. That papier mache monologue in ep. 2 should have never made it past the first draft.

Ashes

Banned
Gonna keep with it. But I don't care what happens to any of the characters.
VV's wife [Kelly Reilly] is my favourite character.

This season would be so much better if it exclusively focused on the McAdam's and Farrell's characters. The other two are weak actors who aren't being helped by terrible dialogue.

I'm not enjoying it as much as season 1, and I really thought this was the weakest of the episodes so far. That being said, I will continue to watch. I'm still hoping for improvement going forward. At least Velcoro is still alive!

RaidenZR

Eh, I've liked him so far but I'm damn near the only one that thinks that. My problem is with kitsch. Liked him in other shit just not really feeling it.

I'm with you. I don't have a problem with him. If I wasn't reading a lot of the negative internet echo chamber about his performance, the thoughts wouldn't even be triggering in my brain. I think he's fine. Not outstanding, but believable.

This is horseshit and I'm sorry I gave it even a click. The critics are making mountains out of molehills to get some headlines. What's with the demonizing of showrunners and directors lately?

well it doesn't help that kitsch is damn near spasming anytime his gaydar goes off. Dude can hardly contain himself anytime he has to try and speak to someone of the homosexual persuasion.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Aside from not having any really memorable performances on par with Woody Harrelson's and Matthew McConnehey's, the story just isn't compelling at all. Compared to season 1, I don't really care about whatever the case is they're trying to solve, and aside from Velcoro the reasons for caring about the characters and their lives seem pretty paper thin. The show has a problem with lack of focus. Vince Vaughn is doing okay but he's definitely a weak link in the cast and they could have found somebody much better than him. Rachel McAdams is showing some acting chops but I'm just not buying her as the hardened, intimidating cop she's obviously supposed to be.

Hyun Sai

Ok, now I'm bored. Colin Farell is great, McAdams is ok, but the others are really bland and the story doesn't click.

It's not my priority anymore as far as series go.

Sean

Banned
True Detective Season 2 = Destiny. Huge step down from previous work, bad writing, miscast characters, boring, but just good enough to continue and hope it improves dramatically (it won't). Most of the time you keep thinking what could have been.

I like Farrell and McAdams but that's about it. Kitsch brings nothing to the table and Vaughn is just dragging the entire show down.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm enjoying it. I wasn't expecting it to reach the heights for season one, so that may be why.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I think what we're seeing here is a classic case of over-thinking the creative process. Pizzaclolototo was so concerned about being mocked for doing a buddy cop drama again that he let it influence what could have been a great show at this point. If it were just the dynamic of Farrell+McAdams+corrupt government and cops+creepy hotline Miami killer it would be more focused, you could spend more time fleshing out characters and building the mystery and aura of the villain. They're trying to manage too many things at once and as a result a lot of characters are coming off as wooden and one-dimensional and the menace of the killer is not an ever-present shadow over the proceedings.

Jetman

I like it, but for different reasons than I liked Season 1. Obviously, 1 was better, but what's here is still good stuff. I'll stick with it.

KingKong

I think almost the entirety of the McAdams character appeal for me is that I like looking at her. Poor Colin is trying so hard though

This season is better than season 1 for me so far. Really stellar. But I wasn't too pleased with that cop-out involving Farrell. Really cheapened the brutalness of that ending to episode 2.

Vagabundo

Still enjoying it. Its still a good cop show, just doesn't have the weirder elements and tighter acting that I enjoyed in S1.

I'm wondering why I should give a fuck about stan and who he is though.

Maybe it will all tie together.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
RIP Stan you will be missed. They shouldn't have killed him off he was my favorite character.

Imm0rt4l

But Cary fukunaga is an executive producer of this season....why would they have a go at him?
Falling out with pizzalotto. It's not unusual for people who helped build the shows foundation to get production credit in subsequent seasons. Matthew McConaughey for example.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah... I was feeling the first two eps. It wasn't blowing me away, but I was enjoying it. This episode though? Objectively boring as dirt.

I really hate to compare it to season 1 of True Detective, but it's really hard not to. There was not a single solitary episode in TD S1 that was as boring as this. Not even close... *shrug*

They still have plenty of time to turn this season into greatness though. Plenty.

labx

Banned
Still enjoying it. Its still a good cop show, just doesn't have the weirder elements and tighter acting that I enjoyed in S1.

I'm wondering why I should give a fuck about stan and who he is though.

Maybe it will all tie together.

I think, based on what a read (Still waiting to start watching it at ep 4), that the wierdness is coming, Like the previous season ep 4 "who goes there" and ep 5 "the secret fate of all life" where the triggers of the show.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
This has way too many characters. I'm having an hard time keeping up with everyone and the names they keep dropping. Like, who the hell is Stan?
While waiting for tech support to clean out a virus from our server, I took the time to skip through every scene that Vince Vaughan was in during the first two episodes to figure this out.

Per IMDB, "Stan" was played by Ronnie Gene Blevins :

bTQL3V1.jpg

Stan was one of the two guys driving the truck (along with the tall, red headed, bearded guy with a foreign accent) that rear ended the random bookie in episode two so that Semyon could make a point. Stan maced the guy in the face.

Edit: Stan is only mentioned by name once that I've found and it's when Semyon is leaving the meeting with the money guy where he's told that he's been screwed out of the deal, and he gives his little "am I diminished" speech. Semyon tells his people to: "Get everybody. Stan, Ivar, his cousins, our Glendale people. Fucking Blake, wherever the fuck he's been."

I definitely don't really care about the case they're trying to solve... which is not a good thing.

The only way I think it's fair to compare this season to season 1 is only when looking at how well a tv show can be done with story telling and acting. For me, this season lacks anything really engaging with the story/characters (minus Colin Farrell)

Dysun

While waiting for tech support to clean out a virus from our server, I took the time to skip through every scene that Vince Vaughan was in during the first two episodes to figure this out.

bTQL3V1.jpg

Stan was one of the two guys driving the truck (along with the tall, red headed, bearded guy with a foreign accent) that rear ended the random bookie in episode two so that Semyon could make a point. Stan maced the guy in the face.

finally an answer!

Grinchy

Banned
Does anybody actually care about the killer?

That's a really good question. I didn't realize until you asked this that I don't care about the killer or who he killed.

In the first season, I actually cared about the detectives solving the case on top of wading through the crazy waters of their personal lives. Now I just barely care about the personal lives and have forgotten that there was a murder I'm supposed to be caring about.

bTQL3V1.jpg

WOW thanks for this. I was still convinced that someone killed the construction guy that Vaughn threatened for 25%. I thought the killer was going after Vaughn in a financial way. But he just killed a random goon? Wow that couldn't have been any less clear.

That's not really true. Directing is about working with other people, like the D.P. and other members of the crew. TD is Pizzolatto's baby, and only his. At the end of the day it's just other people interpreting what came from his head. Fukunaga did a brilliant job, but it would have never happened without Pizzolatto. They're both talented. If you ask me who's talent I respect more, it's Pizzolatto, because he created this story from nothing. He spent almost a year on S1 if I remember correctly.

I see what you're saying, but we would have never had THAT S1 if it weren't for Fukunaga. However, I'm also a bit down on the latter half of S1, pretty much due to the writing. That, plus the Ligotti thing, plus just a general love for Fukunaga's work...that puts him over Pizzolatto for me.

I thought this was actually Vaughn's best episode. It's the first time I ever thought he was a believable character. That papier mache monologue in ep. 2 should have never made it past the first draft.

I actually agree with you there. I may need a rewatch, but I liked his character a lot more than the past two episodes.

Colin is doing great work. Kitsch has little to do, though it was nice to see him smile in the car with Ani. Conversely, Ani seems incapable of smiling, ever.

Can't wait to see the big payoff for this whole "weird sex stuff with cop co-worker" subplot.

/s

RIP Stan you will be missed. They shouldn't have killed him off he was my favorite character.

x5E7kkZ.png

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
WOW thanks for this. I was still convinced that someone killed the construction guy that Vaughn threatened for 25%. I thought the killer was going after Vaughn in a financial way. But he just killed a random goon? Wow that couldn't have been any less clear.
Yeah, and his name is never said when he's on screen to identify him.

Stan is only mentioned by name once that I've found and it's when Semyon is leaving the meeting with the money guy where he's told that he's been screwed out of the deal, and he gives his little "am I diminished" speech. Semyon tells his people to: "Get everybody. Stan, Ivar, his cousins, our Glendale people. Fucking Blake, wherever the fuck he's been."

Kain

I'm thinking Frank will join the cops in the end to solve whatever the fuck this is (seriously, what is this?) and Woodrugh will snap and become evil or something.

Speaking of Woodrugh, his nervousness when around gay people is fun.

The problem I have with these characters is that they are just so grim and dark for the sake of it, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know, Rust and Marty had fun times, they shared good memories, and in the end they were just buddies even though all the shit between them. In contrast these three share nothing, their lifes are miserable and are working these case for... well, not much.

this_guy

bTQL3V1.jpg

That's unfortunate because Stan has given us one of the better performances thus far in season 2.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I honestly thought that was who it was.

Top Bottom