• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Shit, been hanging in there but except for a couple of scenes tonight I thought I was watching Law and Order.

Not holding my attention, boring witness statements, convoluted stories, confusing characters... damn better step it up soon

The average episode of Law and Order is more believable, better written, and better acted than every scene in this episode outside of Colin Farrell.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't know what everyone's problem with Vaughn is, I like him just fine in this show and he's playing one of the more interesting characters

I don't know what everyone's problem with Vaughn is, I like him just fine in this show and he's playing one of the more interesting characters

He is completely unbelievable in this role. He can't convincingly emote...anything, but especially not menace. You swap the roles of Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn and this show is immediately 10x better. Frank Semyon should be the most compelling and interesting character on the show, a gangster on the edge of losing everything who isn't shackled by the duties of a police officer. Instead, I find myself begging for the show to move on anytime Vaughn is on the screen.

I feel like going back to when Colin was announced and seeing how many people that are praising him hated his casting. The guy has acting chops and deserves better parts. I've always liked that guy.

udiie

some of the dialogue in this episode was so fucking awful, and the fukunaga insult was cheap and underhanded.

still though, the story is keeping me interested. really hope it turns around with the weak dialogue and general meandering

Fathom

Banned
Farrell is just carrying this whole thing. He better win some awards.

Agreed. Anyone who thought they would kill him off is mad.

Episode 3 was the best yet. Very Lynchian beginning and Vaughn is almost up to Farrell's level. Kitsch is a bit cliche and McAdams is still just a cold fish.

Fathom

Banned
some of the dialogue in this episode was so fucking awful, and the fukunaga insult was cheap and underhanded.

still though, the story is keeping me interested. really hope it turns around with the weak dialogue and general meandering

What Fukunaga insult?

udiie

What Fukunaga insult?

the half-asian looking director with the ponytail making a shitty movie

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/nic-pizzolatto-cary-fukunaga-true-detective-feud.html
Ray Velcoro (Colin Farrell) and Ani Bezzerides (Rachel McAdams) visit a film set presided over by the worst person in the world: In a few scant minutes of screen time, we learned that the film's director is an alcoholic prima donna who alienated his crew and got mixed up in sex-party shenanigans that led to the death of a local politician. Oh yeah, and this horrible man just so happens to bear a clear resemblance to former True Detective director Cary Fukunaga, all the way down to his distinctive hairstyle.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
So what's the consensus here thus far?
Only thing saving this show is the name true detective. Otherwise a really poor written show that I would not expect from HBO. I might even watch that promising Mr Robot instead of this.

Jigorath

Banned
I feel like going back to when Colin was announced and seeing how many people that are praising him hated his casting. The guy has acting chops and deserves better parts. I've always liked that guy.

The reaction to Farrell was very positive for the most part. It was Vaughn who drew a lot of negativity, and after watching the first few episodes, it was well deserved.

10-true-detective-1.w529.h352.2x.jpg

Fukunaga blessed us with this in episode 4. Can season 2's episode 4 deliver the goods?
nope

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Thanks! Do you happen to know Velcoro actually said though? I caught the word "impact"..
The gist of it was he was shot by impact rounds. No penetration. He's got broken ribs from the sheer blunt force of the rounds, but it's not like he was shot by regular rounds that entered and tore up his body. He was kinda half-jokingly downplaying the damage, like "hell, it was nothing but impact, no biggie."

The weird thing is that it's almost LA-themed, yet these places are all on the outskirts. Very strange.

They don't even feel like places that actually exist in and around LA. As someone who is not from LA originally but has lived here a long time, this is more like what someone who has only seen TV shows *thinks* LA might possibly look and feel like. Its worse than a GTA game at this point.

Fathom

Banned
Pizzman just mad that Fukunaga is more talented than he is.

That's not really true. Directing is about working with other people, like the D.P. and other members of the crew. TD is Pizzolatto's baby, and only his. At the end of the day it's just other people interpreting what came from his head. Fukunaga did a brilliant job, but it would have never happened without Pizzolatto. They're both talented. If you ask me who's talent I respect more, it's Pizzolatto, because he created this story from nothing. He spent almost a year on S1 if I remember correctly.

Fathom

Banned
They don't even feel like places that actually exist in and around LA. As someone who is not from LA originally but has lived here a long time, this is more like what someone who has only seen TV shows *thinks* LA might possibly look and feel like. Its worse than a GTA game at this point.

So? Where was it written that this is supposed to be a realistic version of LA?

This was a pretty bad episode. Man this season is just so disappointing. I'm wondering how the ratings look, I can't believe they must be very good.

udiie

im gonna take a wild guess as to who the white-masked guy was at the end of the episode
i think it's ani's ex boyfriend or some shit trying to fuck with her investigation

pantsmith

Just as a counterpoint to all the hate, Im totally enjoying this season.

I dont mind the dialogue because it feels intentionally weird, I dont mind the pacing because its building to something, and I adore the weirdness because it feels like its bordering on hazy dream.

It feels very David Lynch meets neo-noir meets Hotline Miami. Every shot of cars on the highway makes me feel like were in the veins of some terrible beast about to wake up.

I also adore the "MGS 2" approach where someone with a rabid fanbase jerks them around with something totally different than what they want. I can hear my friend groan every time theres an episode without a broody philosophical character saying something he can repost on tumblr (Time is a flat circle, etc)

Frog-fu

Banned
Three episodes in, I'm quite confident in saying that the writing and cast are significantly weaker than in season one, however, having said that, I do still enjoy the show.

Blader

But Cary fukunaga is an executive producer of this season....why would they have a go at him?
Because the author is reaching.

Fukunaga gets EP credit no matter what for working on the pilot anyway. MM and Harrelson have nothing to do with the show anymore either but they also get EP credit.

better than the 1st less coherent than the second.

still in.

really like McAdams. She's done really well.

edit: ecigs are pretty ubiquitous now so the line's anachronistic.

KingKong

I still have faith that TD will end up pretty good but I'm out on The Brink and Ballers. This HBO lineup is so dire it has me eagerly waiting for the new season of Girls

This episode really felt like it was treading water. Meh. Here's hoping that the season can be salvaged by the next couple of episodes because i'm starting to suspect that we have a hot mess on our hands

I still have faith that TD will end up pretty good but I'm out on The Brink and Ballers. This HBO lineup is so dire it has me eagerly waiting for the new season of Girls

let's not say things we're going to regret

Top Bottom