• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

see5harp

I def don't think Vince Vaughn is close to being as bad as some of you think. There are scenes that played very very poorly though. The scene at the Mayor's house and pretty much every scene with Taylor Kitsch were straight garbage. The camera work (and acting) with the scenes where Taylor is forcing himself not to look at cute men for "fear of gay onset" were so hamfisted. Episode wasn't boring at all though and theories about Velcoro dying in first drafts are idiotic. It makes much more sense to have a cliffhanging just to keep people watching. It makes no sense for that character not to be in the noir movie. He's the one in between a rock and a hard place.

Jarnet87

The intro to Episode 3 was the highlight. Things moving a bit slower for me, maybe it's because of the amount of characters. By the end of episode 3 season one we are about to be introduced to Reginald Ledoux.

Ahh, now I know where I recognized Velcoro's dad from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJUuDLqjzU

How you gonna forget about Tremors?

qAoTwnX.jpg

While waiting for tech support to clean out a virus from our server, I took the time to skip through every scene that Vince Vaughan was in during the first two episodes to figure this out.

Per IMDB, "Stan" was played by Ronnie Gene Blevins :

bTQL3V1.jpg

Stan was one of the two guys driving the truck (along with the tall, red headed, bearded guy with a foreign accent) that rear ended the random bookie in episode two so that Semyon could make a point. Stan maced the guy in the face.

Holy shit. Thank you. Who the fuck would have even remembered that? What was the point of killing him? Just to scare Vaughn? I don't understand. Maybe if they would've given Stan a couple scenes being bros with Vaughn or something.

Why didn't they kill of one of the two guys he's always with?

I hope episode 4 opens with Vaughn sitting alone at the bar/diner, alone, halfway through a handle of whiskey, glassy-eyed drunk.

"This is for you, Stan. This is for all the good times we had. I miss ya, buddy."

golem

Only thing saving this show is the name true detective. Otherwise a really poor written show that I would not expect from HBO. I might even watch that promising Mr Robot instead of this.

You should definitely be watching Mr Robot

Nafai1123

Banned
Agree with others who've said they should've just gone with Farrell and McAdams. Vaughn is ruining every scene he's in and Kitsch's PTSD/gay/homophobic/suicidal character is far too complicated for him to pull off. The show needs a lot more focus. When you kill off a character and nobody knows who the fuck he is, you have a problem.

I think this was the best episode so far this season, but it's still in an entirely different league than S1.

Vaughn tried to do one of those "speak with my eyes" thing actors do at the end of the episode when his wife was asking whats up and it completely fell flat for me. Hes so hit or miss this season :\

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, and his name is never said when he's on screen to identify him.

Stan is only mentioned by name once that I've found and it's when Semyon is leaving the meeting with the money guy where he's told that he's been screwed out of the deal, and he gives his little "am I diminished" speech. Semyon tells his people to: "Get everybody. Stan, Ivar, his cousins, our Glendale people. Fucking Blake, wherever the fuck he's been."

They showed the dead guy's face at least twice, and each time, my brother and I stared at it trying to figure out who the hell he was.

What were they thinking? You don't just act like an unknown character's death is hugely significant out of nowhere.

Wait, I thought Stan was the construction dude
Me too. I thought someone was trying to strangle frank financially.

Stan being a nobody level 1 final fight thug makes that death a lot less impactful.

The show keeps trying to sell us on the fact that frank is Michael Corleone circa Godfather 2 but he just seems like a chump, getting his henchman knocked off and showing up to another guy's bar with like 3 guys versus his army of thugs.

Stan being a nobody level 1 final fight thug makes that death a lot less impactful. The show keeps trying to sell us on the fact that frank is Michael Corleone circa Godfather 2 but he just seems like a chump.

VV's character thinks he's more than he is and his glorified crew is being picked apart slowly by the killer(The killer has to be tied to the Russian guy).

There was nothing imposing about him
fighting a fat dude and ripping his gold grill out of his mouth.

I should fear VV, but I don't. He's not convincing enough to be a mobster. All I keep seeing is Peter La Fleur.

jond76

Banned
Holy shit. Thank you. Who the fuck would have even remembered that? What was the point of killing him? Just to scare Vaughn? I don't understand. Maybe if they would've given Stan a couple scenes being bros with Vaughn or something.

Why didn't they kill of one of the two guys he's always with?

I don't think it's important to know who Stan was, it's just important to know that VV feels that he had a target on him.

Clearly one of his guys dying is not commonplace so it shook him up.

The intro to Episode 3 was the highlight. Things moving a bit slower for me, maybe it's because of the amount of characters. By the end of episode 3 season one we are about to be introduced to Reginald Ledoux.

That Lynch style intro tricked me into thinking this was the episode where the last two episodes paid off.

Blader

Can someone clear up the police jurisdictions for me?

Ani is a state trooper. Woodrugh is also with state, but on the highway patrol. He's tasked with the case because he found the body, but Ani is given lead because she's a better detective (or because state detectives get higher priority over CHP)? And Ray is with local PD (Vinci), but put on the case because Casper's death was already being investigated by Vinci?

owlbeak

Not feeling this season at all. I was enamored with Season 1. Diving into the details of every shot, looking for clues. This season? Don't like or care about any of the characters, especially Kitsch and Vaughn. Writing is okay, but there are some really boring scenes that are just tough to sit through.

I hope it gets better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nafai1123

Banned
I don't think it's important to know who Stan was, it's just important to know that VV feels that he had a target on him.

Clearly one of his guys dying is not commonplace so it shook him up.

If you're going to draw the viewer in, you need to give them some sense of meaning to the death. The complete lack of identify of who the hell that guy is does the exact opposite.

After the success of Season 1, it seems everyone wanted on the bandwagon and the producers accommodated every single one of them.

When will these folks learn that less is more.

Did we ever get any followup to the tiny naked woman floating in milk from the first ep?

Naked model in the water reminded me of it, in this ep.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Vaughn tried to do one of those "speak with my eyes" thing actors do at the end of the episode when his wife was asking whats up and it completely fell flat for me. Hes so hit or miss this season :\

You can tell he was emoting because his eyeballs were moving. It's called acting, lookitup.

RaidenZR

Me too. I thought someone was trying to strangle frank financially.

Stan being a nobody level 1 final fight thug makes that death a lot less impactful.

The show keeps trying to sell us on the fact that frank is Michael Corleone circa Godfather 2 but he just seems like a chump, getting his henchman knocked off and showing up to another guy's bar with like 3 guys versus his army of thugs.

Man, what? Not picking up on this at all. If anything the show has gone out of its way to say Vince's character is NOT successful at the thug boss transition-to-classy mobster boss.

JB1981

Ani is a state trooper. Woodrugh is also with state, but on the highway patrol. He's tasked with the case because he found the body, but Ani is given lead because she's a better detective (or because state detectives get higher priority over CHP)? And Ray is with local PD (Vinci), but put on the case because Casper's death was already being investigated by Vinci?

Seems about right. And I thought I was the only one a little lost here

Wabba

Not feeling this season. Think the problem is the setting, its just not good and the narrative suffers from it. Where the last season had the perfect balance between Rust and Marty, this just have so many different people and non of them is particular well written or interesting characters, even a lot of the scenes with extra staff is just plain bad. Seeing as we are almost halfway through this season there should be a better hook.

Man, what? Not picking up on this at all. If anything the show has gone out of its way to say Vince's character is NOT successful at the thug boss transition-to-classy mobster boss.

there are some parallels:

-That both Frank and Michael are trying to get past the low level game and get into more legitimate business
-that both get screwed when making a huge investment (Frank with his Catalyst dealings, Michael with his Cuba deals)
-Both have government heat coming down on them as this is happening.

it's obviously not 1 to 1 but there's some overlap on the venn diagram.

kiguel182

Honestly, the big mystery for me in Season 1 wasn't so much the killer but more about how the two main characters got to where they were in the present segments. That was the hook for me. Knowing what had broke Rust and how their partnership ended.

This season has nothing even comparable to that. Sure, someone died but I barely know who the guy was in the midst of all these characters and the characters I'm supposed to care about are all uninteresting, Farrel's character aside.

I'm not sure why anyone thought it was the construction guy given he was Mexican/Native American and the dead guy was pale as a ghost. Thought it was supposed to be someone you didn't know as it implies whoever is going after Vince knows his organization from the bottom up.

We'll see how Vince's character develops. My impression is that he comes off like a dead man walking completely devoid of any real emotion which is supported by the speech at the beginning of the second episode which makes me think the performance is intentionally one note. We'll see.

RaidenZR

there are some parallels:

-That both Frank and Michael are trying to get past the low level game and get into more legitimate business
-that both get screwed when making a huge investment (Frank with his Catalyst dealings, Michael with his Cuba deals)
-Both have government heat coming down on them as this is happening.

it's obviously not 1 to 1 but there's some overlap on the venn diagram.

Any stories or characters that involve organized crime (or a criminal underground) is going to allow for comparisons with Godfather stuff, sure... but I have not felt like the season (so far) has been aspiring for that parallel. Maybe I'm alone, I don't know, but that was not my reading at all.

I think the aim is just to show the world around Vaughn's character is closing in on him for whatever reason, and they are tossing in moments where we should him as a conflicted-sympathetic character.

But I don't think we've spent enough time with him, or know enough about him to be on an intimate Corleone parallel.

Any stories or characters that involve organized crime (or a criminal underground) is going to allow for comparisons with Godfather stuff, sure... but I have not felt like the season (so far) has been aspiring for that parallel. Maybe I'm alone, I don't know, but that was not my reading at all.

I think the aim is just to show the world around Vaughn's character is closing in on him for whatever reason, and they are tossing in moments where we should him as a conflicted-sympathetic character.

But I don't think we've spent enough time with him, or know enough about him to be on an intimate Corleone parallel.

I agree, but the show wants us to think that it's only now that his game is falling apart. Especially during the last episode, when he bops the fat guy, the fat guy makes it sound like Frank has been out of the low level game for a while now.

If they want to legitimize Frank's character and his standing in the criminal community, they could probably do with a flashback or two showing frank getting to where he is today. The only thing we have so far that's like that was the Ray and Frank flashback and frank just looked like a slob eating a sandwich or some shit.

FafaFooey

As someone who thinks season 1 was one of the best shows in the last 10 years, I really gave this a shot.

It has a lot going for it and pretty much all of those things have something to do with either the visuals or the music. Just watched episode 3 and it just hit me.. I don't care for a single person so far. Who is working for who again? I just can't.. I've totally lost track and even the potentially great characters fall flat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
She says like 5 words every episode.
She makes them count. She's one of the only people besides Farrell I can tell is genuinely having fun on the set. She's digging that Lady Macbeth game.

Bezzerides is with the LA County Sheriff's Department, and Woodrough the California Highway Patrol, which is a state police force. Other than that you're right about why they're all involved. Velcoro is city PD, Ani county, Woodrough state. Before they knew it was a homicide, Velcoro was investigating Caspere's disappearance (since he was Vinci's city manager), then Woodrough found the body. Sheriff's office formed a special task force of the three of them with Ani as lead. And everybody wants Velcoro to stay on the case seemingly because he's easily malleable to the result each department would prefer.
Honestly, the big mystery for me in Season 1 wasn't so much the killer but more about how the two main characters got to where they were in the present segments. That was the hook for me. Knowing what had broke Rust and how their partnership ended.

This season has nothing even comparable to that. Sure, someone died but I barely know who the guy was in the midst of all these characters and the characters I'm supposed to care about are all uninteresting, Farrel's character aside.
What really gets me is that even from the initial moments in Season 1, you're seeing these interviews with the major characters as a framing device that are accompanied by flashbacks- often ones that don't precisely (or even remotely) match up with the descriptions of events given in the room. This is immediately compelling because you wonder how the intervening years have led to these characters lying, or being very different from what they used to be, or both, until finally the threads of the past story sort of "catch up" to the present interviews and we conclude from there.

There's nothing like that in Season 2 so far, and I admit it was the one narrative device I sort of expected to be retained as a common thread between seasons. Everything we're seeing is happening in "real time," and we aren't presented with any versions of the characters that know more than we do, so there's really nothing to speculate about except in the same way you would for any LE procedural (trying to "solve it" before it's handed to you).

RaidenZR

I agree, but the show wants us to think that it's only now that his game is falling apart. Especially during the last episode, when he bops the fat guy, the fat guy makes it sound like Frank has been out of the low level game for a while now.

If they want to legitimize Frank's character and his standing in the criminal community, they could probably do with a flashback or two showing frank getting to where he is today. The only thing we have so far that's like that was the Ray and Frank flashback and frank just looked like a slob eating a sandwich or some shit.

Sure. I see that- but it is only episode 3 of 8 so the story is still unfolding. That and there's precedence of flashbacking in this season, so we may get that.

Jex

This season's been bloated, bland, incoherent, and (most egregiously) absolutely boring.

While most of this episode (and the rest of this season's arc) has been off-key in the worst way, I want to make a point about the particularly galling introduction to the episode. The aping of Lynch's aesthetic - chiaroscuro supernatural mood singers in a public bar draped in a primary color to add a bit of surreal flair - completely misapprehends why the conceit is so unsettling to begin with. Lynchian horror juxtaposes almost eerie normality with the ghoulishly uncanny, which has never been this show's modus operandi. In fact, Pizzaman's been beating us over the head with how abject misery and untold horrors are suffuse and inescapable in his banal depiction of L.A.

When Lynch in Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet inserts a vignette featuring a quasi noir / vaudevillian musical performance, the uneasy je ne sais quoi that punches the guts of the audience is earned because so much else in the art is quotidian. Twin Peaks is introduced as a town of polite, law-abiding all-Americans who go about their days quietly until occult tragedy strikes and the entire weave starts unraveling. With two episodes of jumbled exposition that's gone out of its way to demonstrate that every corner and crevice and alcove in L.A. is fraught with sleaze, boozing, deviant sex, fraud, and violence, throwing a Lynchian "homage" (if you can even call it that, knowing Pizzaman's well-documented penchant for plagiarism) is so utterly tone deaf that it almost boggles the mind that this man managed to teach poor unsuspecting students literature in a past life, let alone helm a flagship HBO series. He's throwing shit at a wall and hoping it sticks while paying no heed to the narrative or tonal dissonance of his gambits. Elvis doing Bette Middler in a dream sequence to open an episode isn't artistically daring, but rather an inveterate plagiarist's misreading of the actual artistic texts he's copying from!

This season is failed "art", but it's been quite the spectacle to watch unfold when viewed as a self-imposed public humiliation for the bloviating auteur who made it.

Well, now I don't have anything to say. You really nailed it.

Top Bottom