• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Kinyou

The mob part of the story hasn't really gone anywhere. Mob boss and wife domestic trouble storyline is less than gripping so far to put it mildly.

It's the story of three detectives and.... Vince Vaughn. Yeah, it's weird that he gets so much screen time even though he seems often just tangentially related to the investigation.

Contrary to many here, I don't mind his acting, his role just feels purposeless so far. We might as well follow around what the police chief does during his day off.

Squalor

Yeah I'd more interested in McAdams family back story.
There's still plenty more of that to come.

All of those "coincidental" connections to Dr. Piltor and the Chessani family are going to converge even more than they have already.

kaskade

The mob part of the story hasn't really gone anywhere. Mob boss and wife domestic trouble storyline is less than gripping so far to put it mildly.

Agreed. Maybe he's going to have more going on later in the season but right now it's just boring. Mob boss getting back into the game. Blaming his wife for not getting pregnant when he's most likely the infertile one. I just can't find myself caring.

I am growing more attached to the main 3 though. Ani has probably drawn me in the most overall. Ray is a close second. I do remember that big scene in the 1st season was the tipping point for me into loving the show from liking it so maybe it's going to start improving.

LaneDS

That's hardly Vince Vaughn's fault. That scene was one big cliché, and Pizzolatto's dialogue was just fucking terrible.

No one could have saved that line.

Oh I don't blame Vaughn for the hilarity, and will even eat a bit of crow by saying I think he's done an okay job with the horrible material he has to work with. Pizzaman has just included so many lines this season intended to sound poignant or deep that just instantly elicit laughter from me.

Oh I don't blame Vaughn for the hilarity, and will even eat a bit of crow by saying I think he's done an okay job with the horrible material he has to work with. Pizzaman has just included so many lines this season intended to sound poignant or deep that just instantly elicit laughter from me.

The problem is that VV has been miscast. Yes, the writing isn't exactly award winning in regards to Frank but it sounds even stupider coming out unconvincingly from VV's mouth. He just looks like he's rolling out of bed and coming to the set, reading what's on the page.

I was ready to eat crow after Woody's performance last season but in regards to the odd casting choice of VV for this season I feel like it was a swing and a miss.

CassSept

It's the story of three detectives and.... Vince Vaughn. Yeah, it's weird that he gets so much screen time even though he seems often just tangentially related to the investigation.

I think I actually laughed out aloud when he bumped into Kitsch at the club.

Blaming his wife for not getting pregnant when he's most likely the infertile one.

I seeeriously hope it doesn't come to this. Sloppy sloppy writing if it does. Even more obvious than The Bizarre Adventures of Paul Woodruff and the Closet of Homosexuality.

Blader

I'll be interested to see how receptive (or not) Pizzaman is to the criticisms when the season's done.

I'm not hating this season but it is pretty clear to me that it's not going to get any better from here on out; they're not going to suddenly become aware of the problems with how these first four episodes have been written and staged, or suddenly recast Vaughn. But it'll be interesting to see if Pizza actually takes what went wrong with this season to heart in how he approaches S3.

Someone pointed this out earlier in the thread - it takes a decent amount of balls to continue to refer to the showrunner as "Pizzaman" and bitch about how shitty the writing in the show is in the same sentence

-griffy-

Banned
it was really weird how the they froze the final shot and faded to black.

They were trying to do the same thing they did last year when they ended on a freeze frame of gas mask guy:
creepy.jpg

Apparently that's just a structural part of True Detective now, and not a unique filmmaking choice based on the context and surreal imagery of a singular moment.

Blader

Someone pointed this out earlier in the thread - it takes a decent amount of balls to continue to refer to the showrunner as "Pizzaman" and bitch about how shitty the writing in the show is in the same sentence

What does a smarmy shorthand for the man's last name have anything to do with the the TV show he's writing?

Squalor

I'll be interested to see how receptive (or not) Pizzaman is to the criticisms when the season's done.

I'm not hating this season but it is pretty clear to me that it's not going to get any better from here on out; they're not going to suddenly become aware of the problems with how these first four episodes have been written and staged, or suddenly recast Vaughn. But it'll be interesting to see if Pizza actually takes what went wrong with this season to heart in how he approaches S3.
I bet he doubles down and makes season three even worse.

-griffy-

Banned

I think what's interesting is it seems he tried to take some criticisms of season 1 seriously. One of the major criticisms was the female characters last year, and the focus on two white, straight male characters. So this season he introduces a female lead and a gay lead.

But it winds up feeling too transparent in the way he is trying to add a "proper" female character, where the character is faced with some sexism and blatantly states "This wouldn't happen if I were a man," or earlier the character blatantly saying "It's a reality that one of the sexes can overpower and kill the other sex at any point" or whatever, as if the subtext can't exist and Pizzalato needs to blatantly state it to say "See, here's a strong female character dealing with female stuff." And then the scene between her and her sister in the last episode. It felt like, "Hey, here's a scene of two women talking about their mother so I can check off passing the Bechdel test. Problem from season 1 solved."

Aurongel

I've never been a fan of hyperbolicly bashing a TV show before finishing it but holy SHIT this seasons been a pale imitation of the first in every way. How many scenes of VV telling people he's getting back into crime do we need before the show runners feel like they've made their point?

It's almost as if every episode was directed in total isolation from eachother because they retread character and story beats every chance they get. It's tiring as fuck and really beats you over the head trying to hit moments that the last episode already covered. Multiple directors is maybe the biggest issue from S1 to S2. Piz's writing is also pretty hammy too which would be fine and fun if they didn't try to play it so straight. S1's script had issues too but the tightness of the direction made even the hammiest bits tolerable at worst and moody at best. S2 has none of that consistency and it ends up just stepping on its own toes.

FafaFooey

They were trying to do the same thing they did last year when they ended on a freeze frame of gas mask guy:
creepy.jpg

Apparently that's just a structural part of True Detective now, and not a unique filmmaking choice based on the context and surreal imagery of a singular moment.

But that scene was fucking amazing with an incredible buildup along with some terribly creepy atmosphere.

I'm officially ditching this show. I just made it to 29 minutes into episode 4 and I just can't follow this story whatsoever. I have no connection to any of these people. The corruption is fucking boring, the land deals are coma-inducing, the drama (omg I'm gay, omg you're pregnant, omg I can't get my dick up, omg I can't see my kid anymore) is hilariously awful.
I just knew this wasn't going to live up to season 1 but I went in with reasonable expectations.

Even the "Al and Peggy suddenly have an extra kid" season in Married With Children was better thought out than this.

LaneDS

I think joking about his name is entirely appropriate given how self-serious the dude is (and how terrible this season is).

Also one should be proud to have a name like Pizzaman.

Merci beaucoup

Oh man.

I adore the theory that Rust is the Birdman and he's gone full vigilante with Marty as support.

I do not want this season intersecting with the first season in any way shape or form. I'm already torn up they're both set on earth.

Squalor

Antigone Bezzerides: "Jesus, that's some fucking coincidence."

Nic, stop it.

Jordan Semyon: "Here's an idea: Let's be one of those couples that fights a lot."

Nic, please, stop it.

Blake Churchman: "Maybe it's my predilection for virtue"

Nic, just stop it.

Mayor Chessani: "You feel all this man power is warranted?"

Bezzeride: "Better safe than something else."

Nic, stop.

This whole scene was just bizarre.

I dunno why, but the vibe was so weird, and it didn't help that Kitsch looked like he was jumping out of his skin. And she just seemed so resigned.

I just felt bad for them both. "I guess I love you too" is such a sad thing to say in their situation. I hope he sorts himself out before things progress to the point of no return. Their kid will grow up with a self hating/self destructive father otherwise.

I like Kitschs character a lot. Him and Farrell are keeping me interested. I know most people here feel differently about Kitsch but I dunno, him being fucked up, I can relate to him right now.

blind faith - can't find my way home

Ahh you're stars! Thank you guys.

holygeesus

Banned
Season 1 was elevated by the performances and the cinematography, as otherwise, it was pretty ordinary.

Let's not forget, we had 7 episodes of them investigating, only for the solving of said case, to come down to these 3 minutes of television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVt8i6bdCJE

The look on Marty's face when Rust says 'green' in the scene above, is as hammy as anything in season 2. Season 1 wasn't really about the case either - it was all about the two leads, and their journey. He is trying to do the same again here, but having so many lead characters, just doesn't allow you to get under their skin, in the same way, as you are never with them enough.

In season 1, it was pretty much the case, that at least one of them was on-screen like 99% of the time. I just can't see 4 lead characters, having much of an arc diluted into 8 hours of television.

Squalor

Season 1 was elevated by the performances and the cinematography, as otherwise, it was pretty ordinary.

Let's not forget, we had 7 episodes of them investigating, only for the solving of said case, to come down to these 3 minutes of television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVt8i6bdCJE

The look on Marty's face when Rust says 'green' in the scene above, is as hammy as anything in season 2. Season 1 wasn't really about the case either - it was all about the two leads, and their journey. He is trying to do the same again here, but having so many lead characters, just doesn't allow you to get under their skin, in the same way, as you are never with them enough.

In season 1, it was pretty much the case, that at least one of them was on-screen like 99% of the time. I just can't see 4 lead characters, having much of an arc diluted into 8 hours of television.
No, the writing is much, much worse this season.

Overall, season one's writing was definitely not "great," but it was a solid 7/10.

This season has been about a 5/10.

Also, to your character development point, it's entirely possible. It's just not possible for someone like Pizzolatto. Shows have done more with fewer episodes than eight.
Later: "Nah, let's not wait for the tac team. Let's walk up, guns drawn, in the open. They'll never see it coming through their giant 6th floor warehouse windows."
I loved the magic bullets that hit the two men directly behind Bezzerides and Velcoro, haha.

Top Bottom