• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

holygeesus

Banned
The whole last scene was really poorly done. Everything from the AK sounding like it was from CoD, infinite ammo, horrible getting shot acting, bad CGI, stupid freeze frame, shit was just bad.

It just felt amateurish.

[edit]

I mean, fuck, this looks ridiculous.

true-detective-shootout-2.gif

Something this stupid looking would've never made it into season 1.

Again, people seem to be forgetting the hammy moments in season 1 - it's not far removed, from the cook blowing up season 1 after stepping on his own land-mine while fleeing.

I'm not knocking season 1 to excuse season 2, merely pointing out that it has similar elements, albeit on a smaller scale. The only mistake I feel 2 has made, is focussing on too many leads, when the same job could have been achieved with a handful - making it an ensemble, is only magnifying the same stilted dialogue and hammy moments, that were present in season 1 also.

Again, people seem to be forgetting the hammy moments in season 1 - it's not far removed, from the cook blowing up season 1 after stepping on his own land-mine while fleeing.

I'm not knocking season 1 to excuse season 2, merely pointing out that it has similar elements, albeit on a smaller scale. The only mistake I feel 2 has made, is focussing on too many leads, when the same job could have been achieved with a handful - making it an ensemble, is only magnifying the same stilted dialogue and hammy moments, that were present in season 1 also.

It's also not nearly as well directed as season 1. Thanks a lot Fukunaga

Jarmel

Banned
And thats before counting civilians.

I'm sure someone did a better/more accurate count but I went through the scene and I had 12 civilians killed and 1 shot in the leg.

Edit:Someone did a better breakdown.
Law Enforcement Casualties:
6-7 killed (4 Officers, 3 Detectives)
Suspect Casualties
3-4 killed
Civilian Casualties
AT LEAST 9-15 killed, at least one wounded by vehicle, unknown number of additional gunshot injuries.

A podcast was posted earlier in the thread, there it was said that the last scene felt more like Burn Notice and less like Heat..

I don't get the comparison at all. Burn Notice wasn't high art, but at its worst it was still better than this season of television is. Sam Axe, some mojitos, and some spy tips would improve it immeasurably.

Almost like a Showtime series.

Every current drama Showtime has is better than every current drama HBO has with the exception of Ray Donovan. Hell, that qualifier might not even be necessary anymore since I could easily make an argument that even a mess like Ray Donovan is better than Game of Thrones season 5, True Detective season 2 and The Leftovers.

Sober

I don't get the comparison at all. Burn Notice wasn't high art, but at its worst it was still better than this season of television is. Sam Axe, some mojitos, and some spy tips would improve it immeasurably.

Every current drama Showtime has is better than every current drama HBO has with the exception of Ray Donovan. Hell, that qualifier might not even be necessary anymore since I could easily make an argument that even a mess like Ray Donovan is better than Game of Thrones season 5, True Detective season 2 and The Leftovers.
Heaven forbid anything outside of HBO, especially TD S2 be could be better television. There's just no possible way.

hydruxo

Vince Vaughn is so bad in this. The scene where he's talking with the two mobsters in the cafe and he goes over and intimidates the one guy by saying he's never had cavities before was silly. I'm just not buying Vaughn in this role at all.

jkanownik

I like it. I don't notice the visual flaws in the moment. It is good enough. Maybe my enjoyment is helped by living in LA after living in the midwest and experiencing real life people that seem like they couldn't possibly be real. I have conversations all the time where I wonder if the people I'm talking too realize what they sound like.

I'm not delusional though. I recognize the quality is lower. It's just that you can fall a long way from one of the greatest and still be good. The thing that stood out the most about season one were the character flaws and the larger light/dark battle. The character flaws are there and there is plenty of time to flesh out a deeper light/dark battle.

Another thing I keep thinking is that people are being played on all sides. We're not seeing the whole picture.

I liked this episode. Shootout was awesome. Farrell and McAdams should've been the only main characters in the show.

And again people with "i don't know what's going on", really? It's pretty straightforward. Are you watching or staring at your phone?

CassSept

I still have absolutely no interest in any of the plot threads. They are all trite, boring and utterly uninteresting.

Shootout was intense, but it falls flat because a) I don't care about anything on the screen b) it could have been shot better (very weird cuts, especially during the car escape, when they crashed into the bus I swear it jumped a second back just before the crash, either that or it's because of abrupt angle changes) c) that plot armor on main characters was incredible.

My favorite was when Rachel McAdams' character (Antigone Bezzerides seriously pizzaman) was chasing the van, ran into the open and CHASED THEM WITHOUT COVER. And NOTHING HAPPENED TO HER. That's some incredible plot armor at work here.

Moff

My favorite was when Rachel McAdams' character (Antigone Bezzerides seriously pizzaman) was chasing the van, ran into the open and CHASED THEM WITHOUT COVER. And NOTHING HAPPENED TO HER. That's some incredible plot armor at work here.
I agree that was the low point
reminded me of this
1078868_o.gif

it's a damn shame that this show has become person of interest-tier for me now.

just something that's burning space on my DVR and so I just watch it to get it over with and delete it. last season this was the highlight of the night man :(

Vagabundo

I still have absolutely no interest in any of the plot threads. They are all trite, boring and utterly uninteresting.

Shootout was intense, but it falls flat because a) I don't care about anything on the screen b) it could have been shot better (very weird cuts, especially during the car escape, when they crashed into the bus I swear it jumped a second back just before the crash, either that or it's because of abrupt angle changes) c) that plot armor on main characters was incredible.

She had some cover from the large metal bins. She kept swerving to use them as cover as she was running, but the way it was shot, yeah , it was easy to miss.

giga

She had some cover from the large metal bins. She kept swerving to use them as cover as she was running, but the way it was shot, yeah , it was easy to miss.
There's no way McAdams is faster than an automatic rifle. That chase was ridiculous.

Vagabundo

There's no way McAdams is faster than an automatic rifle. That chase was ridiculous.

Watch it again. She has some time to react when she sees the guy lean out the car window and start firing. He is also firing pretty wildly due to the car swerving a lot.

As I said its not shot all that great, but that part was entertaining.

Theorry

It's straight up awful.

Here's a reminder for people, compare that fucking nonsense of a shoot out in season 2's fourth episode to this piece of film making from season 1's fourth episode.

https://vimeo.com/87057348

Love that scene like everyone else. But it had some weird stuff also in it. Always tought 5:31 was weird. How he "knocks" those guys down. Or 4:37 where those guys dont see Cohle walking away with that guy and just run in.

holygeesus

Banned
Why are people even comparing the best scene from season 1 with the shoot-out anyway? It was more an escape rather than a full on assault in s01e04 - it was clearly so ridiculously over the top in Sunday's episode, because they wanted to hammer home, just how much of a balls up the detectives have made, hence the freeze-frame used to just pause on the scene of devastation around them.

As for Vaughn, I think he is playing it just fine. He is reluctant to get back into the enforcement game, hence, when he threatens his former associates, he is not supposed to be over the top menacing as he is doing it against his will really. He isn't some blood-thirsty guy, who enjoys the violence and intimidation. He is doing a good job I think.

I didn't think it was bad, but I didn't think it was that good either. I have stripped all my expectations for this show (it is easy since different cast from season 1), and it has helped. Also giving certain parts of True Detective season 1 a re-watch, and guess what? While I loved it the first time around, a lot of it doesn't hold up as well on re-watch. I now understand why it didn't win as many awards I originally thought it should. Still season 1 is pretty good, while so far I feel like season 2 is nothing but atmosphere.

Also as soon as saw the protesters everyone knew exactly what was going to happen. I looked at my wife, and went it's Wild Bunch time.

NAA7PYy.png

That shootout was straight out of Sons of Anarchy.

God no. I am sorry, but while it wasn't great, it was nowhere as bad as SoA's action scenes. SoA were like watching the Keystone cops.

jond76

Banned
Watch it again. She has some time to react when she sees the guy lean out the car window and start firing. He is also firing pretty wildly due to the car swerving a lot.

I wouldn't bother. It's reached the point where people start manufacturing complaints to bolster their "its terrible!" stance.

Squalor

The shootout was entertaining despite some common shootout clichés.

My biggest problem with the shootout was how disjointed it felt relative to narrative. They just tacked it onto the end of the episode after some pretty poor foreshadowing.

The rest of the episode prior to that misguided, yet entertaining set piece was a mess with some of the worst dialogue so far this season.

Kinyou

When they kept firing at each other without ever hitting something I couldn't help but to think of naked gun

WRFXYFi.gif

They definitely should have kept Justin Lin around for the shootout.

The scene with the hostage was pretty damn intense though.

Squalor

So the preview
made it seem as though we might be getting a time skip.

If that's true, I'm going to laugh so hard.

Squalor

I saw Ani in a cop uniform so I guess she got demoted to street patrol.
Stuff about the preview:
Plus Velcoro's facial hair is completely different.

Plus Ani and Ray's conversation about whether he actually believes they solved the case. Just following that same season-one outline, except a lot worse.

LaneDS

Vince Vaughn is so bad in this. The scene where he's talking with the two mobsters in the cafe and he goes over and intimidates the one guy by saying he's never had cavities before was silly. I'm just not buying Vaughn in this role at all.

There has been at least one scene per episode where I just lose it as his delivery on some of those lines; if nothing else this season has delivered spades of unintentional comedy.

Squalor

There has been at least one scene per episode where I just lose it as his delivery on some of those lines; if nothing else this season has delivered spades of unintentional comedy.
That's hardly Vince Vaughn's fault. That scene was one big cliché, and Pizzolatto's dialogue was just fucking terrible.

No one could have saved that line.

I didn't think it was bad, but I didn't think it was that good either. I have stripped all my expectations for this show (it is easy since different cast from season 1), and it has helped. Also giving certain parts of True Detective season 1 a re-watch, and guess what? While I loved it the first time around, a lot of it doesn't hold up as well on re-watch. I now understand why it didn't win as many awards I originally thought it should. Still season 1 is pretty good, while so far I feel like season 2 is nothing but atmosphere.

Hmmm, it wasn't perfect. But still pretty fucking great. Much better than Hannibal at least. I watched 4 or 5 episodes a couple of weeks ago and it held up for me. Locker room conversation about Hart's pussy smell is still the best thing ever.

Season 2 on the other hand, yeesh. What the hell happened? The actors try their damnedest, but they just don't have much to work with it seems.

im with pretty much everyone thinking vince vaughn is pretty terrible, but, to play devils advocate...

wtf has he had to do? Its basically him going poor and not getting boners. thats it. I feel like the plot needs to really step on the gas with him and give him something more interesting to do than 10 metaphors about reclaiming his masculinity.

Squalor

im with pretty much everyone thinking vince vaughn is pretty terrible, but, to play devils advocate...

wtf has he had to do? Its basically him going poor and not getting boners. thats it. I feel like the plot needs to really step on the gas with him and give him something more interesting to do than 10 metaphors about reclaiming his masculinity.
There's plenty of plot development. More isn't going to make the show better.

There isn't enough well-written character development, though, and that's because Pizzolatto can't do that.

Dennis

Banned
The mob part of the story hasn't really gone anywhere. Mob boss and wife domestic trouble storyline is less than gripping so far to put it mildly.

Ashok

Banned
I consider myself to be a person of at least average intelligence and for the life of me I could not tell you what the fuck is happening on this show. Like I don't even understand why they were even going after the guy at the end of episode 4
I don't have a clue either but I was pretty sure this season would be awful as soon as a I heard HBO was jumping on the anthology bandwagon. Has the same problem as American Horror Story. Too much emphasis on showcasing flashy Hollywood actors, not even emphasis on a coherent plot.

GorillaJu

Yo real talk...I have absolutely no fucking clue what's going on story wise.

Like seriously, I feel remedial as fuck.

The fact that people growl instead of speaking, the story is doled out in 1-second quips and it's still cryptic enough makes it damn near impossible to follow. I ain't rewinding this shit to figure it out. I guess it'll just make more sense as we go further along.

CassSept

I wouldn't bother. It's reached the point where people start manufacturing complaints to bolster their "its terrible!" stance.

There are moments where she is running straight at the van with no cover. It's not manufactured complaints, if she was any other character she would have been dead. The guys capped cops hiding behind cars from the third floor with a machine gun. The fact that only the three protagonists survived and no-one else is laughable.

I was all on board until Call Of Detective ending. Its like they needed a big set piece or something that was completely unearned and contrary to the slow ebbing of the conspiracy? Anyway i'm still in like flynn.

GorillaJu

I consider myself to be a person of at least average intelligence and for the life of me I could not tell you what the fuck is happening on this show. Like I don't even understand why they were even going after the guy at the end of episode 4

Well, I did get this part. They were searching around for Caspere's possessions, found his watch at a pawn shop. Saw a girl on the security cam pawning off the watch, identified her as a hooker working for the guy with the pencil mustache who they were going after at the end.

Listening to Andy Greenwald's total takedown of True Detective on this weeks Hollywood Prospectus podcast was cathartic. Everything that was awful with episode 4 was addressed with great verbiage.

Top Bottom