• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Fathom

Banned
3yJ6eLe.jpg

deandreohmy.gif

Woo-Fu

Banned
can we get a poll to see who's still enjoying this season? seems like its been overwhelmingly negative from this thread

I'm loving it, the end of episode 4 is some of the best comedy I've seen in ages. Those three are going to be on administrative leave indefinitely until they get laterally promoted to manning an impound lot on the ass-end of nowhere.

Fathom

Banned
can we get a poll to see who's still enjoying this season? seems like its been overwhelmingly negative from this thread

I was defending it and mostly onboard through Episode 3, but last night was just awful. It could still recover but so far it's gone nowhere.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The effects of a bullet going into someone's chest produces a non-cookie cutter, unpredictable reaction. So anything is possible.

I see we've gotten to the point where the nitpicking begins.

And yet the civilian and gangster give a video game death warblegarble in response to having a bullet tear through their torsos

RaidenZR

My prediction for the end of the series:

Kitsch's character is the mole alluded to in the opening song:

The fat cop guy who died was onto him and collecting dirt - he's now conveniently dead.

He has burn marks over his body, he probably set McAdams and Farrell's car on fire while having a past of arson or something. (or his mercenary war crimes as I read elsewhere, apparently I missed that)

Lyrics from the trailer that were written FOR the show:

Maybe Kitsch had a thing with Caspere and is part of the "cult". Could be possible that Kitsch has a split personality disorder.

I dunno, the story is just so all over the place I don't even know what the cult exists for yet except for wearing animal heads and killing people in similar ways.

Anyway my money is on Kitsch being involved in some way with the cult and the songs are about him. Otherwise his entire purpose in the story so far has been pointless. He has to have some central purpose to the story, his contributions so far have been fairly useless.

Thanks for the writeup but the theory doesn't work for me. At least not yet.
What makes you say the bolded?

3yJ6eLe.jpg

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1492623/deandreohmy.gif[img][/QUOTE]

pretty amazing that 11 people thought this ep was good tbh

wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen .. I've seen all of dexter and sons of anarchy.. but yikes.. fuck me if i can think of anything i liked about it

edit: wait, i remember.. blind faith's "can't find my way home" rules

see the thing is, I realize the quality has gone down dramatically, the writing is awkward as fuck and downright bad a lot of times, the story is confusing, etc etc...

But if you were to ask me if I was still enjoying it I'd say yes. I dig the atmosphere and overall vibe (dat freeze frame lol <3). There's not a lot like it on tv. It scratches some sort of itch but yeah quality wise it's nothing special.

Also speaking of that freeze frame I really wish the show would just ham it the fuck up and embrace the cheese.

Crud

Banned
Fuck this show for real.

Don't bother me with season 3.

Won't see me post in this thread again because I'm done watching.

Bread

Banned
I consider myself to be a person of at least average intelligence and for the life of me I could not tell you what the fuck is happening on this show. Like I don't even understand why they were even going after the guy at the end of episode 4
hahaha this is exactly where i'm at

i come into this thread and see people analyzing the plot and i'm so lost. this show is so boring.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
A podcast was posted earlier in the thread, there it was said that the last scene felt more like Burn Notice and less like Heat. I agree completely with that.

I really hope this isn't the last big set piece of the season and if it is then lol.

DeSo

Banned
I'm really enjoying Farrell and McAdams' performances. Other than that the season has been a let down. I'll see it out though.

Maffis

Well what can I say. It's better than most shit out there but as a sequel to dat season 1, it is like a different network made it. What the hell happened...

Just came across a theory on Frank's wife on Reddit that really made me think. I'll put it in spoilers I guess

Is Frank's wife a cop or a mole? It would explain why they are focusing so much on her inability to get pregnant, and Frank himself said his sperm is still all good. Maybe she is just taking the pill because she doesn't want to have a child with the person she is taking down

Infernal Affairs 4: Reconcilliation in Divorce Court

i come into this thread and see people analyzing the plot and i'm so lost. this show is so boring.

There is no complexity to analyze. There's no ambiguity, no conflict. The only person whose vulnerability I remotely believe in is Velcoro's.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I never felt like I needed to hit up the Internet to understand what was going on when I watched season 1. This season...jeez it's just so sloppy.

The opening scenes with Frank and his wife might be the worst dialogue I've heard on TV for a long time. It was Star Wars prequel love scene levels of bad. So stilted and unnatural.

i don't think it has anything to do with intelligence. the reason some people don't know wtf is going on is because the show is so fucking boring you aren't really paying attention. some people will say "hey! this show doesn't hold your hand and explain every detail! go watch Bones or something!" and thats fine but the show is just so boring....

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The only person's name I know is Stan. He's dead. That's all I got. The season is cool, but it is meandering as fuck. I feel like the 3 main characters are leading shitty lives as like a point, not for some bow-tie finish. Kind of like "these guys are the police force's fuck-ups and this is why".

I just wish something would happen. It's been spinning wheels for 3/4 episodes.

Also the explosion/smoke CGI was terrible.

BizzyBum

pretty amazing that 11 people thought this ep was good tbh

Also pretty amazing the consensus thought the final scene was spectacular. I mean, it wasn't bad, but far from spectacular. Compared to Rust with The Iron Crusaders shootout it was a joke.

Though one thing that consensus nails: "the events hardly felt earned after a brooding, clunky hour of storytelling." The amount of tension in S1E4 with Rust and the gang was some of the most engaging shit I think I've ever watched. You were just waiting for shit to go down the entire episode, and when it happens it's just six minutes of pure bliss. Now compare that to the lead up to the final six minutes in this episode. There was absolutely no tension and no build up to what was about to happen and you didn't give a shit who died. I mean, did everyone seriously die except the three main cast members? I mean... bah.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
A podcast was posted earlier in the thread, there it was said that the last scene felt more like Burn Notice and less like Heat. I agree completely with that.

I really hope this isn't the last big set piece of the season and if it is then lol.

Even Burn Notice wasn't that awkward.

But yeah, the last scene was just bizarre and maybe a little out of place. I enjoyed it for the 'oh shit' factor. But there was just so much wrong with it.

JasonV

So this episode 4 setpiece lines up with the drug robbery in season 1 episode 4. I know its beating a dead horse to keep making the comparison but wow what a drop off.

Applebite

Still think this would've been far better and more focused had it solely been about Farrell and McAdams' characters. I don't think Vaughn is TERRIBLE but his performance is about as uninteresting as his character, and the Kitsch character is just okay.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh man, I was hoping that the dumb fat cop would pull some epic shit and solve the whole thing at the end like Columbo or some shit, but nope, capped.

That's the only problem with stunt casting where all the leads are big stars. It would make more sense for a more prominent character to die but they don't want to lose any of their "leads."

I followed almost none of that scene in Vince Vaughan's office when he made that guy pit boss.

Im leaning towards Kitsch being the Raven Head killer too.

He's definitely got split personality and a few things are not as they seem to him - where the reporters real? did he really get his bike stolen or was it misplaced? Was his boyfriend really in the apartment or not?

He was the person who 'accidently' found the body. Also, when Farrell was shot he was shot with bullets "like what a cop has", as he told another cop.

I think the fat cop was working for Vince Vaughn. He got the lead on the Mexican drug dealer/pimp. The scene before that was VV telling the eastern European's that he was going to take care of the Mexicans.

I cant tell you what the character names are though other than Farrell is Velcoro. I remember that because it think of Velcro.

The show is nowhere near as good as season 1. Im enjoying it though. Not up there with one of my favourite shows but its watchable.

Well,

Ray's shaved his mustache, but kept the greasy hair.

So you know he's cleaned up some.

Also, Jesus Christ, that literally was the worst police involved massacre ever. It's like the exact opposite of the when Rust and Marty chased down LaDoux, when they faked the action hero shit, hahahaha.

From the preview:

mcadams is wearing police uniform so I suspect the time jump is to years before the shootout, before mcadams was a detective.

This is also when Farrell was cleaner and more sober

We may also see some of Kitch in action in the Army

I feel like I'm going to drop a bit of a bomb and run, but I don't care and I'm going to do it anyway...

I don't know how comfortable I feel at this point in the season that the sex in this show, the creepy stuff of Casper and the prostitute, the kinky and consensual stuff from McAdams, and the homosexual stuff of Kitsch all seems... equatable?

foxtrot3d

Banned
I consider myself to be a person of at least average intelligence and for the life of me I could not tell you what the fuck is happening on this show. Like I don't even understand why they were even going after the guy at the end of episode 4

I just finished the episode and feel the same way. Also, was I the only one to burst out laughing at that freeze frame shot to end the episode with? Who thought that was a good idea? How could you possibly think that it was okay to do such a shot now? You can't just up and throw in every cinematographic style you've seen in the past 30 years just because you think it looks cool, thinks should be consistent. Nothing about this series justified such a shot then, especially when the season isn't even over.

The only "good" thing about the episode was the shootout and by "good" I mean brain-dead action, my brain was like "finally something is happening." I also LOL'd big time when the fat, slob detective got killed, I so called it. A useless character who served no purpose.

The episode was really bad until the last shootout. It was dumb, but really well-shot, tense, and I dug the "this is totally fucked" scene at the end. That was some classic True Detective stuff.

There's a lot of interesting stuff going on but little of it is conveyed in an interesting way, which seems to be an overarching problem for this season but especially in this episode. I'm pretty confident that I understand what's happening, so I guess I'm better off than a lot of people.

I'm still on board because I have faith that this can become something fantastic, but this episode was definitely a low-point for the season so far.

Dennis

Banned
So only the three "hero" cops are left alive while the rest goes down like dogs?

Must be the biggest police massacre in American history.

Top Bottom