• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump advisors aim to privatize oil-rich Indian reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just trying to think of what race or minority Trump hasn't taken a hard stance against yet. Kudos Donald. Well played.

Soon he'll start talking about how those Irish, Italians, and Poles are a bunch of lazy mooches who came here because their countries suck.

So forgive me for being confused about this.

Is this meant to make it easier for Tribes to develop oil and gas production on their own lands via less regulation?

Or to have non-Native private entities take over the land for those uses?

I concluded the former. Not quite as odious but lol at the guy who said it should be done in a way to avoid unintended consequences. He obviously has no clue about the firestorm this will unleash.

Surfinn

Good question.

Speaking of the pipeline I'd like to know how they could possibly re-route that thing. No matter what they do it looks like it'd have to cross over or under those waters. Of course that's all moot anyway if Trump gets involved once he assumes office.

Army Corps of Engineers is a fairly independent group. It'll be hard for Trump to push back by just appointing a crony and telling them to bulldoze the protestors.

Every time Trump opens his mouth that dude looks like a bigger and bigger dumbass.

Unless they can start constructing along a new line in the next few weeks it might be fucked. Can't say I know the details of how it works though.

Thanks for the responses. Really worried he's gunna use some of this rhetoric to soften the blow of reversing the deal.

Finalizer

hot off the heels of dapl too. hopefully folks stay in the protesting mood, but judging by jstripes' take, it looks like a much more undermining effort is at play here.

Catdaddy

latest

Seriously fucked up...

This will greatly improve my life and the lives of all those who lost their jobs. Oh wait, no it fucking won't.

Way to think for the 1% Trump.

Mivey

It's almost as if having an evil corporate president and knowing that evil corporate types do evil shit, implies that an evil corporate president will actually do evil shit.
Incredible. I mean, sure, the principal of Modus Ponens dates back to antiquity, but it's nice that the American people are putting it to the test.

The mad dash of the fossil fuel industry to open up new sources of extraction is confusing to me. They're fighting a losing battle. It's akin to pouring all your R&D into VCRs when Compact Disks have already entered the market. Yes, we're going to need oil for a long time still, so the analogy isn't perfect. But we are very close to reaching peak demand, opening up new supply is only going to drive prices down.

The era of the black gold rush is over, why are people insisting on continuing to beat an aging horse whose days are numbered? The future of energy is not in fossil fuels, they need to get that through their thick skulls and diversify now while they still can.

Edit: If nations, regions, and companies don't diversify they only have themselves to blame. The writing is on the wall, the introduction of self-driving cars will only hasten the decline in demand for oil.

Drifters

This is insane. Trump knows no bounds when it comes to idiocy. As a non-member (yet) of the Grand Ronde tribe here in the PacNW I will fight this tooth, nail and asshole.

DedValve

Banned
Any Trump supporters got a defense to this?

Their incredibly selfish to the point where they, much like Trump, don't give a fuck about anyone else except themselves and maybe, maaaaaybe a family member or two.

So no, no defense for this. All Trump supporters are selfish, maybe not necessarily racist but selfish assholes all the same.

Eidan

Every goddamn day this motherfucker gives at least five examples of why he should have been nowhere close to the fucking presidency. Every Trump voter is a fucking idiot.

Chumly

So forgive me for being confused about this.

Is this meant to make it easier for Tribes to develop oil and gas production on their own lands via less regulation?

Or to have non-Native private entities take over the land for those uses?
I don't think anyone has any hope in republicans and trump making this beneficial to the native Americans. In some shape or another it's going to make it easier for companies to exploit native Americans.

Betting they'll try to justify this as 'creating jobs', implying but not actually promising or ensuring that it will bring economic prosperity to people living on the Reservations.

Jesus though, this is gonna be rough for Native Americans.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The mad dash of the fossil fuel industry to open up new sources of extraction is confusing to me. They're fighting a losing battle. It's akin to pouring all your R&D into VCRs when Compact Disks have already entered the market. Yes, we're going to need oil for a long time still, so the analogy isn't perfect. But we are very close to reaching peak demand, opening up new supply is only going to drive prices down.

The era of the black gold rush is over, why are people insisting on continuing to beat an aging horse whose days are numbered? The future of energy is not in fossil fuels, they need to get that through their thick skulls and diversify now while they still can.

It's basically a balancing game, the majority of the major hydrocarbon reservoirs are in maturity stage quite often depletion. As technology increased, the efficiency and types of reservoirs we can extract from has increased but these are generally smaller reservoirs, as the biggest ones are the easiest to find (thus drained first). Currently we're in the seasonal cycle of where the production out ways demand in quite a freak manner of luck (or bad luck). Oil reservoirs are extremely expensive to develop and run and even more expensive when your not running from it (it literally costs you millions per day), so no company frankly wants to stop production. That's why it took OPEC so long to reach an agreement.

Still we're at a point we're most major fields are making the best of scarce and starting to deplete resources, which is why more potential oil is still seen as appetising even in this situation.

Media

I concluded the former. Not quite as odious but lol at the guy who said it should be done in a way to avoid unintended consequences. He obviously has no clue about the firestorm this will unleash.

Yep. We don't fucking own land, that's like, outrageous to us. So it would be sold to private companies that give fuck all about Natives.

I don't think anyone has any hope in republicans and trump making this beneficial to the native Americans. In some shape or another it's going to make it easier for companies to exploit native Americans.
Sure, but if these reservations are sovereign, they should have the choice to ruin it for themselves. Do these government regulations exist to save the land from themselves?

I guess I need to know more because this doesn't sound very straightforward. These reservations are sovereign, but they don't own the land, which means the US Government is involved in any kind of oil and gas exploitation - and its the government rules making things difficult for the tribes? Would removing the regulations spoken of in this article put the decision making in the hands of the tribes? Or in the hands of the new administration with energy companies, regardless of what reservations want?

I don't have any doubts when it comes to the agenda of the oil companies and pro privatization folks, but am wondering specifically where the decision making lies.

Yep. We don't fucking own land, that's like, outrageous to us. So it would be sold to private companies that give fuck all about Natives.

True story, I actually live within an hour's drive of the Cherokee reservation mentioned in this article. If anyone there wants to fight this I'll be happy to join them.

Trump supporter I know: They lost the war, we don't owe them anything.

Truly irredeemable.
Damn, Codeblue. I've heard that exact same thing from two people in New Mexico. I guess that's going to be the theme from them on any issues relating to Natives. "We won, it's ours."

It's basically a balancing game, the majority of the major hydrocarbon reservoirs are in maturity stage quite often depletion. As technology increased, the efficiency and types of reservoirs we can extract from has increased but these are generally smaller reservoirs, as the biggest ones are the easiest to find (thus drained first). Currently we're in the seasonal cycle of where the production out ways demand in quite a freak manner of luck (or bad luck). Oil reservoirs are extremely expensive to develop and run and even more expensive when your not running from it (it literally costs you millions per day), so no company frankly wants to stop production. That's why it took OPEC so long to reach an agreement.

Still we're at a point we're most major fields are making the best of scarce and starting to deplete resources, which is why more potential oil is still seen as appetising even in this situation.

That still doesn't answer the question of why additional supply is a good thing. Because like you said most of the time it is more expensive to extract, so to recoup their investment it requires that the price of oil be high. But if demand is decreasing how would the price of oil get high enough to justify the investment?

Ac30

Damn, Codeblue. I've heard that exact same thing from two people in New Mexico. I guess that's going to be the theme from them on any issues relating to Natives. "We won, it's ours."

Jesus Christ. They can't be serious. That's inhuman.

Then again so is the treatment of the First Nations today so...

That still doesn't answer the question of why additional supply is a good thing. Because like you said most of the time it is more expensive to extract, so to recoup their investment it requires that the price of oil be high. But if demand is decreasing how would the price of oil get high enough to justify the investment?

You are asking business sense from a person that went bankrupt 4 times.

Trump will just subsidize these companies aka give them tax dollars.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Price of oil has gone through seasons of this multiple times. It's not a strange occurrence. Just like they didn't stop searching then, they're not going to stop searching now. Most likely they'll delay plans to when the price of oil has fully recovered (or it's just feasible), not stop searching completely.

So after seeing the huge protests over the pipeline, he decides to announce this?

Does he think those protesters are not going to show up for this, which is worse than the piepline? Likely in larger numbers with more support?

GuyKazama

Any Trump supporters got a defense to this?

People should have the right to mine their own land. If that's what he's talking about here, then I could see supporting it. This is just one advisor throwing something out there, so I would need to see the legislation / policy change first.

kevin1025

Banned
So after seeing the huge protests over the pipeline, he decides to announce this?

Does he think those protesters are not going to show up for this, which is worse than the piepline? Likely in larger numbers with more support?

It's likely watching the protests on TV that gave him this idea. Everything he does is based on cable news.

TylerD

"We should take tribal land away from public treatment," said Markwayne Mullin, a Republican U.S. Representative from Oklahoma and a Cherokee tribe member who is co-chairing Trump’s Native American Affairs Coalition. "As long as we can do it without unintended consequences, I think we will have broad support around Indian country."

Funny, he doesn't look Indian.

Trump1993Videotalkingaboutthis.mpeg

Price of oil has gone through seasons of this multiple times. It's not a strange occurrence. Just like they didn't stop searching then, they're not going to stop searching now. Most likely they'll delay plans to when the price of oil has fully recovered (or it's just feasible), not stop searching completely.

Unless supply is artificially restrained (which is certainly possible) I don't see the price of oil fully recovering. Electric self-driving cars are going to substantially decrease demand in the years ahead. It's not a problem now, but it will become a big one if people reliant on the oil industry don't prepare for it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Unless supply is artificially restrained (which is certainly possible) I don't see the price of oil fully recovering. Fully electric self-driving cars are going to substantially decrease demand in the years ahead. It's not a problem now, but it will become a big one if people reliant on the oil industry don't prepare for it.

Most see this which is why they're already diversifying, look at the company statements from Shell. Keep in mind Oil production has been among the most if not the most profitable industry for several decades. Even in a worse case scenario there's a lot to gain. If all the super majors left production today, Production will plummet demand exceed it and thus it'll be pay day for everyone that's left. The very nature of oil production means it not something you can simply start up and do in a day. So you will find these companies stick at it because economic problems kill competition and promise future profitability.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjUQf8G2X4

This link should always be posted when the topic is Trump and native Americans.

He thinks it's discriminatory that Indian's have reservations. Given the chance, he will strip all land away from Native Americans.

Unreal. He really is terrible :(

Edit: He is definitely not racist though. /s

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this poor excuse for a human being is going to be the President of the United States of America. Gross.

mr2xxx

Banned
I cant say Trump is racist, looks like he'll find a way to fuck over 99% of us regardless of race just in diffirent ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom