• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump advisors aim to privatize oil-rich Indian reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Here's the three levels from morally right to less.

1. Let them keep the land you forced them on and allow them to democratically decide what they want to do with the land.

2. Make it public land that is allowed to have sensible fossil fuel work done with revenue going towards helping the reservations as well as benefit every American.

3. Privatize the land.

They went for the evilist.

"We should take tribal land away from public treatment," said Markwayne Mullin, a Republican U.S. Representative from Oklahoma and a Cherokee tribe member who is co-chairing Trump’s Native American Affairs Coalition. "As long as we can do it without unintended consequences, I think we will have broad support around Indian country."

Broad support in Indian country? I doubt you even interact with your Cherokee Tribe if you are saying this shit. You are literally wanting to take lands and potential wealth from them.

Here's Trump's Native American Affairs Coalition Chair.

220px-Markwayne_Mullin_official_congressional_photo.jpg

Monocle

Yeah, put that nail in the coffin of many races of our species.

That's what we get for calling people "deplorable" I guess.

/infiniteeyerolls
It's all our fault for name-calling, really! Bigoted jerks become that way through liberal words alone.

Lock us up!

Jenov

Here's the three levels from morally right to less.

1. Let them keep the land you forced them on and allow them to democratically decide what they want to do with the land.

2. Make it public land that is allowed to have sensible fossil fuel work done with revenue going towards helping the reservations as well as benefit every American.

3. Privatize the land.

They went for the evilist.

Broad support in Indian country? One, that sounds racist. Two, I doubt you even interact with your Cherokee Tribe if you are saying this shit. You are literally wanting to take lands and potential wealth from them.

Here's Trump's Native American Affairs Coalition Chair.

220px-Markwayne_Mullin_official_congressional_photo.jpg

"He is an enrolled member of the Cherokee Nation, and is one of two Native Americans in the 113th Congress." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markwayne_Mullin

Seriously? He calls himself Native American?

Edit: Ah, i see why: http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/opinion/did-markwayne-mullin-forget-who-he-148225

"Mullin didn't have a problem embracing his heritage when he used Indian preference to get jobs for his business. He didn't have a problem embracing his heritage when he was presented with a blanket from the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. He didn't even have a problem embracing his heritage and listing himself as an American Indian in the US House of Representatives. But, when he had to make a choice between embracing his heritage or clinging to his political party, he dropped that Cherokee identity like a hot potato and strictly became "a Republican" and then voted against something that would help American Indian women.
Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/opinion/did-markwayne-mullin-forget-who-he-148225"

How... politically convenient of him. Ew.

Apathy

"He is an enrolled member of the Cherokee Nation, and is one of two Native Americans in the 113th Congress."

Edit: Ah, i see why: http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/opinion/did-markwayne-mullin-forget-who-he-148225

"Mullin didn't have a problem embracing his heritage when he used Indian preference to get jobs for his business. He didn't have a problem embracing his heritage when he was presented with a blanket from the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. He didn't even have a problem embracing his heritage and listing himself as an American Indian in the US House of Representatives. But, when he had to make a choice between embracing his heritage or clinging to his political party, he dropped that Cherokee identity like a hot potato and strictly became "a Republican" and then voted against something that would help American Indian women.
Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/opinion/did-markwayne-mullin-forget-who-he-148225"

Just the worst kind of person on the planet

Atenhaus

This is abjectly disgusting in every way, but the posters in this thread declaring that he isn't a Native American based on how he looks need to fucking stop. There isn't a paper bag test that designates who is and isn't native.

Un-fucking-believable. As if the Native American people haven't gone through enough.

If the Tangerine Nightmare's spewing this kind of shit before he's even in office, I fear to think what he'll do once he's actually the president.

Jenov

This is abjectly disgusting in every way, but the posters in this thread declaring that he isn't a Native American based on how he looks need to fucking stop. There isn't a paper bag test that designates who is and isn't native.

How about less on how he looks, and more on his actions in congress and his own business which has been reported on. And now he's using his claimed heritage to help Trump dismantle and privatize Indian lands for oil $$$$. I'm sorry, but the guy seems like total scum. His heritage claim comes across as abusive and only for his own personal business and political gains.

While that is absolutely a practice that shouldn't be encouraged, I do believe the focus is on his actions more so than his looks. The latter just provides context.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yep.

I expect a Trump supporter to be an idiot. It's the #bothsides people who can get bent.
O yeah I am completely enrage at both sides and 3rd party voters. I'm reminding them of their "conscience" that didn't factor in lives aside from their own.

Which posters have said he isn't Native American based on how he looks? I don't see any. Did a mod wipe them out?

Yep.

I expect a Trump supporter to be an idiot. It's the #bothsides people who can get bent.
There is a lot of blaming that is still going on post 11/8, and I know a lot of people are angry at Trump voters. But they did what we knew they'd do. As weird as this may be, I don't particularly hold a lot of ire for Republicans who loyally voted for their party's candidate. It's the people who didn't show up to make a point that actually piss me off.

Relatedly, I have zero respect for Colin K. and every individual on the left who advocated sitting out this cycle. The impact this will have on so many people is real, and dire. The Apache I work and interact with were overwhelming anti-Trump, and after he won the election a reservation nurse pulled me aside to express how angry, frustrated and powerless she felt that their votes weren't enough. As a black dude I could relate, though I had some small hope relations between Natives and the US wouldn't sour. But here we are, tumbling down a path we could have so easily avoided.

And Trump isn't even in office yet.

I was just trying to think of what race or minority Trump hasn't taken a hard stance against yet. Kudos Donald. Well played.

He had actually already been ridiculously offensive to Native Americans in some gambling-related depositions before Congress more than a decade ago.

Trump was a neo-nazi before it was cool.

Since this thread is fresher, I'll just leave this here: Thoughts from on the ground at the reservation pipeline protest concerning the latest decision of the Army Corps of Engineers.

Yes, there was a celebration over having some breathing room at last. But if anyone knows not to trust government, it’s Indians. There’s even less reason to trust oil companies who are already bursting with billions of dollars. All that money means power, and they do not like being thwarted. They have engaged in an ongoing smear campaign, spreading lies and propaganda, openly purchasing the Morton County Sheriff’s department, with the approval of long ago purchased Governor Jack Dalrymple. The Army Corps of Engineers has asked ETP to stop digging before, and what happened? They went out on a holiday weekend and kept working, destroying sacred sites. ETP does not care what anyone says, they do not think they are obligated to listen or obey in any sense. Their sense of 1% entitlement is even bigger than their pockets. Their hatred of the Indians attempting to protect the land and water, for all peoples, has infuriated them from the start, and that start was in 2012.

It didn’t take long for them to lash out in absolute fury and defiance, in a lie and propaganda filled piece of bile, and their insistence they will indeed complete DAPL as planned. The people at the Oceti Sakowin camp aren’t going anywhere yet.

--" The White House’s directive today to the Corps for further delay is just the latest in a series of overt and transparent political actions by an administration which has abandoned the rule of law in favor of currying favor with a narrow and extreme political constituency.

As stated all along, ETP and SXL are fully committed to ensuring that this vital project is brought to completion and fully expect to complete construction of the pipeline without any additional rerouting in and around Lake Oahe. Nothing this Administration has done today changes that in any way."--

Read the rest here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/affinity/2016/12/05/nodapl-its-not-over/

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So... if these lands are going to be privatized then what's the argument for the private owners being anyone but the tribes?

So... if these lands are going to be privatized then what's the argument for the private owners being anyone but the tribes?

They likely will give private ownership to the tribes.

And then set about trying to bully, deceive, "regulate", or lawyer their way into stealing the land. The natural resource exploitation companies have been good at that for basically forever, regardless of skin color.

"He is an enrolled member of the Cherokee Nation, and is one of two Native Americans in the 113th Congress." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markwayne_Mullin

These are the worst type of people.

You easily imagine him targeting social issues in the community, stoking these issues and creating resentment, hatred to manufacture consent to support this campaign. Dirty bastard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom