• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump casually endorses war crimes during White House meeting with airline execs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Link

During a meeting with airline industry leaders at the White House on Thursday, President Trump lamented that the U.S. didn’t commit additional war crimes during the second Iraq War by pillaging the country’s oil.

After talking about the condition of American airports, Trump said, “We spent 6 trillion dollars in the Middle East. We’ve got nothing. We never even kept even a little tiny oil well. I said, ‘Keep the oil.’”

Trump suggested that the oil proceeds could fund a major government infrastructure project. “We’ve spent 6 trillion dollars in the Middle East. We have nothing, and we have an obsolete plane system, obsolete airports, obsolete trains, we have bad roads. We’re going to change all of that folks. You’re going to be so happy with Trump. I think you already are.”

Hypnotoad

That was literally Trump's message in his first TV ad. "Cut off the head of ISIS and take their oil." I am certain he made similar statements several times in the past. Nothing surprising.

Kyuur

Trump seems to ascribe to the 'military spending is wasted' philosophy, except instead of advocating redistribution of those funds he just says 'the military should make us money too!'.

liquidtmd

Banned
Still referring to himself in third person, lawwwd

For a Businessman, no businessman I've ever met would do that in a managerial meeting.

Gutek

Nothing new. He said the same in front of the CIA, hoping there was a chance to get back into the Middle East to take their oil.

Biske

Why the fuck is he bringing this up to Airline execs?

He is so fucking odd.

Every chance he gets he brings up unrelated bullshit to people.

I would like Trump or any of his devoted supporters to at least give a small summary of what "taking the oil" would even look like in practice.

He is so fucking odd.

Did you hear about his massive crowd sizes at inauguration?

Usobuko

Banned
It's not just what he says, it's the support he gets from his base and the general indifference attitude of Americans because it doesn't concern them that is infuriating.

Thats a positive thing imo, it means any future possible wars in this administration will have risk/reward scenarios and if its a money pit with no benefits then don't do it.

If someone in the Bush administration had thought before the Iraq war "hey... how much will this cost us? What will we get out of it?" maybe we wouldn't have attacked.

also our actual attack on civilians in Iraq, destroying the infrastructure, not really having a system to replace anything, putting idiots in charge, not understanding the Sunni/Shia split, fomenting ISIS, and a million other things we did in Iraq were war crimes. Saying it would be nice to have kept some oil is not a war crime, just a really crass and stupid thing to say.

what it really is, is code for "we don't do military interventions for free for anyone anymore."

Biske

Did you hear about his massive crowd sizes at inauguration?

Because he has nothing of real value to say.

I mean jesus christ. Can you imagine? You run an airline and have to listen to this asshole ramble on about these things. You'd have to be sitting there thinking "is this idiot for real?"

At least bullshit about jet fuel or jet fuel pipelines or whatever the hell, something some what relevant.

But no its all "ah the Trump Power glove is so bad. Its way bad. I'm the baddest. I'm gonna kill those terrorists til they are so killed, you won't believe how killed they are. Do you see how big my biceps are? They are like really strong, I'm the strongest president ever they say people tell me all the time. We should totally kill terrorists families."

liquidtmd

Banned
But no its all "ah the Trump Power glove is so bad. Its way bad. I'm the baddest. I'm gonna kill those terrorists til they are so killed, you won't believe how killed they are. Do you see how big my biceps are? They are like really strong, I'm the strongest president ever they say people tell me all the time. We should totally kill terrorists families."

It'd be like attending a meeting to negotiate trade only to be met by a guy in a black robe screaming 'Unlimittteedd POOOOWWWAAHH'

#awkward

Zips

Thats a positive thing imo, it means any future possible wars in this administration will have risk/reward scenarios and if its a money pit with no benefits then don't do it.

If someone in the Bush administration had thought before the Iraq war "hey... how much will this cost us? What will we get out of it?" maybe we wouldn't have attacked.

also our actual attack on civilians in Iraq, destroying the infrastructure, not really having a system to replace anything, putting idiots in charge, not understanding the Sunni/Shia split, fomenting ISIS, and a million other things we did in Iraq were war crimes. Saying it would be nice to have kept some oil is not a war crime, just a really crass and stupid thing to say.

what it really is, is code for "we don't do military interventions for free for anyone anymore."

Or - it means that Trump will pull the country into battles with an eye towards what he can pillage over what use it serves, and he will put nothing into helping the devastated country he attacks, leading to more people that despise the U.S. and have little or nothing left to lose.

Even by making such monstrous statements Trump is endangering Americans. If I were an Iraqi citizen and heard the stuff Trump is saying - if I had had any trust in the U.S., that would be gone, and I would be much more likely to hate Americans.

I mean jesus christ. Can you imagine? You run an airline and have to listen to this asshole ramble on about these things. You'd have to be sitting there thinking "is this idiot for real?"

At least bullshit about jet fuel or jet fuel pipelines or whatever the hell, something some what relevant.

Trump's the kind of person who would mess up a photo op involving him reading to children by bragging about how nice his hotels are and how bad the ratings for Schwarzenegger's Apprentice are.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

He is so fucking odd.

It's because he has absolutely no substance, no self-awareness, and no shame.

So he just talks about himself all the time, regardless of the context or situation.

Bush would have done it anyway. He was planning on attacking Iraq ever since he got in office. Anything to prove himself to daddy dearest.

jstripes

Banned
I've been staring at my screen for too long because this is the headline I saw:

"Trump casually endorses war crimes during White House meeting with anime execs"

Invading other countries to loot their stuff is a war crime ( https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v1_rul_rule50 )

Apathy

It's not new, he talked about going in and taking Iraq's oil like last week or the week before as payment

RDreamer

It's so ridiculous he keeps fucking saying this. We have allies in Iraq that are fighting ISIS with and for us. Why the fucking hell would you basically say you regret not committing war crimes against them and that you'd be ok with doing it in the future? This rhetoric literally puts our military in danger, as does his fucking ban.

I have to think there are a lot of military leaders and soldiers on the ground just fuming at this shit.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's so ridiculous he keeps fucking saying this. We have allies in Iraq that are fighting ISIS with and for us. Why the fucking hell would you basically say you regret not committing war crimes against them and that you'd be ok with doing it in the future? This rhetoric literally puts our military in danger, as does his fucking ban.

I have to think there are a lot of military leaders and soldiers on the ground just fuming at this shit.
I sure hope they're fucking pissed about it. He's literally talking about spending human lives for a "return on investment" in the form of pillaging oil.

I'm pretty sure soldiers risk their lives to defend their country, not help some dickwad line their fucking pockets.

Horns

Look at what the media are making him say again. Can you believe the lying media would do that? Pathetic.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

With someone like Trump, the government would have attacked, and committed war crimes. What will you say if the next president or trump himself says ' we should have kept the women', is that also better?

RDreamer

No, it's code for "I'm a fucking moron." The dude doesn't know what he's talking about and he's just spouting idiocy.

How do you "take the oil?" You do it by occupying a country indefinitely. He's telling the world we're willing to occupy your country indefinitely.

I don't think Iraq was ever a major source of Us oil but it was probably better to have a kind of receptive regime in charge rather than Saddam Hussein to sell oil. Of course Trump is already pissing that away.

Skyzard

Banned
Iraq should just sell its oil in Euros like Saddam and Gaddafi were negotiating to. Or maybe even in gold, really send things spiraling, and give a boost to Africa.

He is so fucking odd.

Why did he bring up The Aprentice on the National Day of Prayer?
Why did bring up crowds at the CIA HQ?
Why didn't he bring up Jews when talking about the Holocaust?

The dude's a fucking idiot is why

hawk2025

Lmao, that's one way to read it!

Trump is obviously clinically insane. I mean what does he think he gains by saying stuff like this at that type of meeting in an official capacity?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He should hire the Always Sunny gang to just put the oil in bags and drive it out of town in a van.

Lautaro

Meanwhile, General John Nicholson is claiming "thousands more troops and billions more dollars" will be needed for Afghanistan. Guess that will be the staging area for the impending middle east invasions and oil taking. As a bonus, they can control all the poppy fields. =/

If USA invades Iran, all those shaky governments in the Middle East are gonna fall like dominoes. In a few years when a new president removes the troops from the devastated region, the vaccum will create a new Islamic State that will dwarf the current one.

Mathieran

Banned
This is what running the country as a business looks like I guess. War is an investment. If no money is made it shouldn't happen.

Not that I support war ever. But I can easily trump supporting a war if money can be made.

Nydius

If USA invades Iran, all those shaky governments in the Middle East are gonna fall like dominoes. In a few years when a new president removes the troops from the devastated region, the vaccum will create a new Islamic State that will dwarf the current one.

No doubt. But it seems clear that Trump (or Bannon, or both) are adamant on starting at least one, possibly multiple, military actions under the guise of nationalism. Neither of them can grasp the idea that things like the travel ban and the saber rattling play directly into the recruiting message of extremist organizations.

We used to cringe at McCain singing Bomb Iran but now we have an administration who seems intent on doing so. While also pissing on China and Korea.

Lautaro

This is what running the country as a business looks like I guess. War is an investment. If no money is made it shouldn't happen.

Not that I support war ever. But I can easily trump supporting a war if money can be made.

I imagine it would only make money for russian oligarchs because operating and defending those oil fields (after rebuilding them because those things would burn at the beginning of the war) and occupying the country indefinitely would be way too expensive.

So basically it would be like running a pretty shitty business, a Trump business after all. Sadly I can see him doing that, more if his friend Tillerson offers him a cut of Rosfnet or similar.

Shoeless

No doubt. But it seems clear that Trump (or Bannon, or both) are adamant on starting at least one, possibly multiple, military actions under the guise of nationalism. Neither of them can grasp the idea that things like the travel ban and the saber rattling play directly into the recruiting message of extremist organizations.

We used to cringe at McCain singing Bomb Iran but now we have an administration who seems intent on doing so. While also pissing on China and Korea.

To be fair, war time is the perfect excuse to make broad, sweeping policy changes under the guise of "We're at war, folks, sacrifices gotta' be made if we're gonna' win, and you DO want to win, don'tcha'?"

All they need is the critical terrorist attack on US soil to make the justification and they can go all out. They really need America to get hit in some way before they can get the people behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom