• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Curious: Any liberals left that hated Comey for the HRC emails? Thanks for giving Trump the talking point he needed to defend the Comey firing.

Here's the facts about Comey. Was ALWAYS non partisan. Was ALWAYS a patriot. And the only man in the USA with the resources to stop the would-be dictator Trump. Thanks for the unwarranted and irrational hate on Comey.
Meh, you're welcome. I was right.

iammeiam

We've basically hit a point where the argument is that nobody on the left should ever say anything, because Donald Trump can do something totally insane, try to tie it to something a liberal said, his followers will accept his non-logic, and that will make it the left's fault for using words that Trump could bring up later in a completely unrelated context.

Like, I think Paul Ryan is a pretty shitty human being who should go far away and never be heard from again.

If Trump decides to deport him to Antarctica and cite my preceding sentence as justification, that makes Trump an idiot. It doesn't make me responsible for legitimizing his actions.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The NY FBI office was a leaking sieve now commonly given the nickname 'Trumpland', and Guilliani gloated on national TV that he knew about the leaks beforehand. If you believe that it would have been better for Comey to keep silent, then you're essentially arguing that it would have been better for the story to leak then for Comey to announce it in a controlled manner.

To further blame Comey you then have to blatantly ignore Chaffetz's leak of what was, at the time, a private letter to the intel committee and then further ignore that both Chaffetz and Paul Ryan blatantly lied about the contents of Comey's letter in breaking the story.

There is no need to capitalize for emphasis, Hitman. Just use bold, italics, underline or any combination of the three.

Edit:
We've basically hit a point where the argument is that nobody on the left should ever say anything, because Donald Trump can do something totally insane, try to tie it to something a liberal said, his followers will accept his non-logic, and that will make it the left's fault for using words that Trump could bring up later in a completely unrelated context.

Like, I think Paul Ryan is a pretty shitty human being who should go far away and never be heard from again.

If Trump decides to deport him to Antarctica and cite my preceding sentence as justification, that makes Trump an idiot. It doesn't make me responsible for legitimizing his actions.

That fuzzy warm feeling you get when you don't have to say a thing because someone else just did, sparing you the effort.

+1, iammeiam.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Of all the shit, if they aren't convinced and weren't convinced during the election I'm not sure what to say. Much less the shit that has happened prior to Comey being fired.

Why should this be the issue?

Some supporters can turn. Especially in the face of corruption and treason. I've seen it happen by actually interacting with Trump supporters. But this slim possibility is harder if Liberals are supporting Trump's bullshit talking points.

theWB27

Some supporters can turn. Especially in the face of corruption and treason. I've seen it happen by actually interacting with Trump supporters. But this slim possibility is harder if Liberals are supporting Trump's bullshit talking points.

You should make a thread about it.

Most of his supporters won't turn and haven't. Some will, if the argument is strong enough against Trump. Liberals wanting Comey fired as well lessens the effectiveness of the argument against Trump firing Comey.

Recently, a poll was conducted that showed that 96% of Trump supporters would still vote for him.

BigDes

I question the logic that a press conference from a couple of republican stooges that had already been screaming into the wind for the past year about the same stuff would have had a more harmful effect than the head of the FBI, a man praised for his supposed impartiality in politics, releasing a letter to congress that got mysteriously leaked.

royalan

Being a registered Republican has ZERO bearing on whether his ACTIONS as FBI Cheif were partisan or not. Every single person in the world will have a political idealogy. In his role at the FBI he was NOT partisan, which is why he would NOT kiss Trump's ring, which is why he would NOT prosecute HRC.

The letter he wrote was CONFIDENTIAL. And it was illegally leaked by Chaffetz. The alternative to writing the letter was a public and partisan press conference run by the NYPD cheif who publically characterized the emails found on Weiner's laptop as "staggerimg" and "stomach churning" to which Russian Fake news propaganda blogs would have pushed as PEDO related.

So ask yourself if in the light of that if Comey's letter wasn't the right way to go about it.

Because this wasn't happening already?

Did you miss the flood of bullshit Clinton conspiracy articles that flooded the internet last year? The Russian propaganda machine was in full effect last year. Stop acting like they needed a reason. When have they ever needed a reason. Remember Pizzagate? We saw countless times last year that, in absence of any sort of justification, RT/Brietbart/Republicans will literally just make shit up. We can't help that.

There is really no excuse or justification for why Comey broke standard Department of Justice protocol. I mean, when not even Loretta Lynch could justify why he did it, you know he fucked up.

The NY FBI office was a leaking sieve now commonly given the nickname 'Trumpland', and Guilliani gloated on national TV that he knew about the leaks beforehand. If you believe that it would have been better for Comey to keep silent, then you're essentially arguing that it would have been better for the story to leak then for Comey to announce it in a controlled manner.

To further blame Comey you then have to blatantly ignore Chaffetz's leak of what was, at the time, a private letter to the intel committee and then further ignore that both Chaffetz and Paul Ryan blatantly lied about the contents of Comey's letter in breaking the story.

Yes, it would have been better. The polar shift didn't happen till the Comey letter, that is simply a fact.

This thread is quickly turning into re-litigating the election. We already have numerous threads on that, I won't participate further.

Hitman

I question the logic that a press conference from a couple of republican stooges that had already been screaming into the wind for the past year about the same stuff would have had a more harmful effect than the head of the FBI, a man praised for his supposed impartiality in politics, releasing a letter to congress that got mysteriously leaked.

NYPD Chief implying pedo related HRC emails. At a time when NYPD Cheif wasn't thought of as being a GOP stooge. And still really isn't.

Versus.

Comey writing a PRIVATE letter to Congress that was never supposed to go public.

Sure, blame Comey for being partisan and in the bed for the GOP even though he just got fired for trying to take down Trump and the GOP and NOT being at all loyal or partisan for team Trump.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Comey can be:

Partisan
Not a complete partisan hack
Against Trump
Someone who can make mistakes
Wrong on how he handled Clinton
Patriotic
Generally Principled
All of the above

The world and people are certainly not black and white. This narrative that you can't criticize both Trump and Comey is silly and meritless.

pigeon

Banned
NYPD Chief implying pedo related HRC emails. At a time when NYPD Cheif wasn't thought of as being a GOP stooge. And still really isn't.

Versus.

Comey writing a PRIVATE letter to Congress that was never supposed to go public.

Sure, blame Comey for being partisan and in the bed for the GOP even though he just got fired for trying to take down Trump and the GOP and NOT being at all loyal or partisan for team Trump.

If the NYPD chief isn't a GOP stooge why would he be characterizing stuff as vile and stomach-churning?

Why do you assume that Comey is literally too stupid to understand what will happen if he sends a letter to Chaffetz? Should somebody that confused about how humans behave be the director of the FBI?

Versus.

So you're saying that Comey knew that one partisan hack was going to leak private information, but had absolutely no idea that another partisan hack would leak the same private information?

Even if he's not a partisan hack, that would make him an idiot.

Hitman

Comey can be:

Partisan
Against Trump
Patriotic
Generally Principled
All of the above

The world and people are certainly not black and white. This narrative that you can't criticize both Trump and Comey is silly and meritless.

Yes he can be. But if the "Party of Reason" was actually reasonable and rational they would try to figure out WHAT HE IS rather than WHAT HE CAN BE. Looking at the evidence it's obvious he's NOT partisan. Its obvious he has 2 choices regarding the handling of the HRC emails. Either write the private letter that was never supposed to leak or let the NYPD cheif and Trump stooge hold a public press conference characterizing the emails as pedo related.

Comey made the right choice. The results sucked for HRC. The hate for Comey is unwarranted.

boiled goose

good with gravy
If the NYPD chief isn't a GOP stooge why would he be characterizing stuff as vile and stomach-churning?

Why do you assume that Comey is literally too stupid to understand what will happen if he sends a letter to Chaffetz? Should somebody that confused about how humans behave be the director of the FBI?

Plus the letter was super unclear. If it had been better written it would have not caused such a Fucking unwarranted shitstorm. It was ambiguous enough to be co opted by the right when it was a nothing burger.

Comey either knew what he was doing while feigning ignorance or is completely incompetent.

royalan

Comey can be:

Partisan
Against Trump
Patriotic
Generally Principled

Am I...agreeing with Boiled Goose? Lord, these are the times....

Lets just settle something. When Comey sent that letter, he knew what he was doing. Unless he was a fucking moron, he knew what House Republicans would do with the news that the FBI was reopening the Clinton email investigation, especially since this wasn't info they were required to keep quiet (so it being a private letter doesn't matter one bit). So, again, unless Comey is a total fucking dumbass (which...), when he sent that letter he knew he was acting in a way that would greatly benefit one party over the other.

Regardless of what his intentions were, his actions WERE partisan.

That doesn't mean he's in Trump's pocket, or even that he was trying to help him. What I believe, and what a lot of people seem to believe, is that he allowed his own ego and sense of righteousness back him into a corner. Again, he wanted to be the maverick.

He just should have never opened the door to start with.

Hitman

He is a GOP stooge. I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I meant that publically he wasn't known to be a GOP stooge at that point in time.

Never implied anything about Comey's intelligence (I think he's actually really smart though). But Comey is a law-man. And you'd have to think that a NON POLITICIAN would assume that if he wrote a confidential letter it wouldn't be unlawfully leaked. Atleast it's a viable assumption to make. Maybe he was wrong. Does that make him guilty of being a partisan hack that aimed to take HRC out of the race? NOPE.

Hitman

Am I...agreeing with Boiled Goose? Lord, these are the times....

Lets just settle something. When Comey sent that letter, he knew what he was doing. Unless he was a fucking moron, he knew what House Republicans would do with the news that the FBI was reopening the Clinton email investigation, especially since this wasn't info they were required to keep quiet (so it being a private letter doesn't matter one bit). So, again, unless Comey is a total fucking dumbass (which...), when he sent that letter he knew he was acting in a way that would greatly benefit one party over the other.

Regardless of what his intentions were, his actions WERE partisan.

That doesn't mean he's in Trump's pocket, or even that he was trying to help him. What I believe, and what a lot of people seem to believe, is that he allowed his own ego and sense of righteousness back him into a corner. Again, he wanted to be the maverick.

He just should have never opened the door to start with.

Okay. So let's say he doesn't open that door. Let's say he finds emails on Weiner's laptop. Emails hes SUPPOSED to be investigating for wrong doing. Let's say he just ignores his JOB and does nothing with them at all. Then NYPD comes out with a public press conference charactizing the emails as pedo related and ALSO attacks Comey for not doing his job. Now HRC is screwed AND Comey is screwed. That would have been the better result?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
He is a GOP stooge. I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I meant that publically he wasn't known to be a GOP stooge at that point in time.

Never implied anything about Comey's intelligence (I think he's actually really smart though). But Comey is a law-man. And you'd have to think that a NON POLITICIAN would assume that if he wrote a confidential letter it wouldn't be unlawfully leaked. Atleast it's a viable assumption to make. Maybe he was wrong. Does that make him guilty of being a partisan hack that aimed to take HRC out of the race? NOPE.

Why did Comey recently lie about how many emails Abedin sent to Weiner?

Nick_C

Comey's fuckup was in not supporting the announcement of Russian support for Trump even earlier in the election cycle.

This is the only thing that I can actually question. Without Comey actually coming out and stating why he didn't say anything during the election we can only speculate.

Reading the responses in this thread leads me to believe that people would rather hide the truth to get what they wanted, and risk the massive blowout when it eventually leaked, than being transparent about what is actually happening.

As was stated earlier, Comey sent a private letter, which was later leaked by Chaffetz. He never "went public" to cast doubt on Hillary and throw the election. The leaking of the letter, again, by Jason Chaffetz (Republican rep form Utah), did that.

Tovarisc

X-post because why not

Because Twitter is silly you need read from bottom to top.
DKsMiC4.png

C51XnhG.png

ptxmkly.png
https://twitter.com/lrozen

Hitman

If his supporters do not turn on him after firing the FBI Director because they can somehow blame it on Democrats they likely never will.

Also, why did Comey not reveal that the Trump campaign had its own investigation?

What Trump Campaign Investigation are you talking about?

pigeon

Banned
This is the only thing that I can actually question. Without Comey actually coming out and stating why he didn't say anything during the election we can only speculate.

Reading the responses in this thread leads me to believe that people would rather hide the truth to get what they wanted, and risk the massive blowout when it eventually leaked, than being transparent about what is actually happening.

As was stated earlier, Comey sent a private letter, which was later leaked by Chaffetz. He never "went public" to cast doubt on Hillary and throw the election. The leaking of the letter, again, by Jason Chaffetz (Republican rep form Utah), did that.

And, again, it should have been extremely obvious that Chaffetz would immediately do that, so it was dumb of Comey to behave like that wouldn't happen. I don't even think he says in his testimony that it wasn't his fault because he didn't know Chaffetz would make the letter public, because he knows it's a terrible defense.

Hitman

Why did Comey recently lie about how many emails Abedin sent to Weiner?

He said Abedin forwarded emails to Weiner's laptop for printing. This was corrected by the FBI to say only SOME were forwarded for printing. The rest seems to have originated from Huma backing up emails on her blackberry on the laptop.

So I don't know... why would he lie about this? Or maybe he DIDN'T. And just mispoke.

He said Abedin forwarded emails to Weiner's laptop for printing. This was corrected by the FBI to say only SOME were forwarded for printing. The rest seems to have originated from Huma backing up emails on her blackberry on the laptop.

So I don't know... why would he lie about this? Or maybe he DIDN'T. And just mispoke.

Why are you stanning so hard for Comey?

royalan

Okay. So let's say he doesn't open that door. Let's say he finds emails on Weiner's laptop. Emails hes SUPPOSED to be investigating for wrong doing. Let's say he just ignores his JOB and does nothing with them at all. Then NYPD comes out with a public press conference charactizing the emails as pedo related and ALSO attacks Comey for not doing his job. Now HRC is screwed AND Comey is screwed. That would have been the better result?

Well...ummm, is Director Comey not screwed now?

If he had followed standing protocol, that at least would have somewhat insulated him from criticism. Of course, Republicans would have attacked him. But they're doing that anyway. They're Republicans.

But by breaking protocol like he did, he made the criticism (a lot of it, anyway), deserved.

theWB27

Im talking about Comey and Trump in a Comey and Trump thread. Maybe you just don't like the subject matter?

Doesn't make you on topic. You're blaming liberals for bs and its nothing about comey gettingb fired.

Who cares about how right wing nut jobs who believe fake news sees things. Nothing would make them see what is really going on. You're derailing and I'll stop helping after this post.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What Trump Campaign Investigation are you talking about?
THE investigation. http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-trump-campaign-has-been-under-investigation-since-july

No, he said hundreds to thousands of emails were forwarded from Abedin to Weiner. That is not mispeaking. That is a complete mischaracterization of what happened.

Hitman

Doesn't make you on topic. You're blaming liberals for bs and its nothing about comey gettingb fired.

Who cares about how right wing nut jobs who believe fake news sees things. Nothing would make them see what is really going on. You're derailing and I'll stop helping after this post.

No. I'm defending Comey against Liberals who irrationally hate him and don't see or understand the full context. In light of Comey's firing, the CORRECT response by Liberals would be to defend him as he is a PATRIOT and the only one with the resources to stop Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom