• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NY FBI office was a leaking sieve now commonly given the nickname 'Trumpland', and Guilliani gloated on national TV that he knew about the leaks beforehand. If you believe that it would have been better for Comey to keep silent, then you're essentially arguing that it would have been better for the story to leak then for Comey to announce it in a controlled manner.

To further blame Comey you then have to blatantly ignore Chaffetz's leak of what was, at the time, a private letter to the intel committee and then further ignore that both Chaffetz and Paul Ryan blatantly lied about the contents of Comey's letter in breaking the story.

Correction: The articles on "trump land" said that there was a section of the FBI that was trump land, not the entire FBI.

And most people have figured out which section: NY Criminal Field Office

If the entire FBI was compromised, then Nunes wouldn't have been so blindsided by Comey saying that the FBI is investigating Trump's Campaign.

In fact I would venture a guess that the CounterInteligence portion of the FBI is likely more aligned with the rest of the IC, which reports said were VERY anti-Trump.

No. I'm defending Comey against Liberals who irrationally hate him and don't see or understand the full context. In light of Comey's firing, the CORRECT response by Liberals would be to defend him as he is a PATRIOT and the only one with the resources to stop Trump.

You okay man? I mean that, you good?

You see irrational hate? Hate. Irrational. Really, that is what you see.

Speely

Banned
I'm just going to put this here because I don't even know what is real anymore, so fuck it.

YEszq2Q.jpg

dickroach

I've seen the clip like 5 times now, but I still laugh when Lester Holt points out to trump "you were at the center of the Trump campaign"

Trey

It is bullshit. Did I say it wasnt? But that does NOT mean that people aren't buying it. His supporters are buying it. You wouldn't know this if your only forum is the Liberal leaning Neogaf.

We can't help people accepting pure unfiltered bullshit. What's the objective hand wringing over literal nonsense?

Also, Dems can be upset with Comey, but also think his firing was a shameless and gross move by the Trump administration. It's not at all difficult to envision.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
No. I'm defending Comey against Liberals who irrationally hate him and don't see or understand the full context. In light of Comey's firing, the CORRECT response by Liberals would be to defend him as he is a PATRIOT and the only one with the resources to stop Trump.

No, you're somehow saying that liberals criticizing Comey for his moves days before an election is causing some Trump supporters not to turn. It's an incredibly dumb hill to die on. If you had only not reacted at all to a completely unprecedented move that goes against protocol and throws your candidate under the bus, things could be different!

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Yeah, guys, Comey isn't a political hack, he's a spineless collaborator. Be fair!

No that's not my argument. Nice strawman attempt though, or maybe you just don't understand. Here, let me simplify this for you. Comey had 2 choices:

1. Write a private letter that was never supposed to leak stating that he is doing the job he's supposed to be doing to Congress.

or

2. Don't write the letter. Don't do his job. And let NYPD cheif hold a public press conference mischaracterizing the emails as "staggering" and "stomach-churning"

Comey made the right call.

GetLucky

As a self proclaimed liberal, you cant tell me how to react, homie. He fucked up royally with the letter right before the election. He also shouldn't be fired by the president during an investigation of that same president. It can be both.

royalan

But...we can do both?

I view Comey as the standard comic book villain who has a turn of heart in the final act and sacrifices himself to stop the evil he unleashed onto the world.

I can applaud Comey for his efforts on the Trump investigation, and think he's a fuckwad for breaking standard DOJ protocol with Hillary Clinton and playing a visible role in getting us in this mess in the first damn place.

Hitman

THE investigation. http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-trump-campaign-has-been-under-investigation-since-july

No, he said hundreds to thousands of emails were forwarded from Abedin to Weiner. That is not mispeaking. That is a complete mischaracterization of what happened.

Addressed the investigation part in another post.

And according to this article which cites Comey and the FBI's correction. That was NOT the "lie" he told about the Abedin emails. See here:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/9/15593660/comey-clinton-emails-false-testimony

BigDes

No, the correct response BY liberals is to have an understandable AMOUNT of anger toward him due to his actions IN the election and also have a searing amount of white hot rage toward Trump for this largely unprecedented attack on the checks and balances that are supposed to keep the institutions of the United States from swallowing each other.

I honestly have no idea why you are so much more outraged by what liberals feel about someone you don't know than by an unwarranted firing that can only be seen as an attempt to undermine the rule of law.

Hitman

As a self proclaimed liberal, you cant tell me how to react, homie. He fucked up royally with the letter right before the election. He also shouldn't be fired by the president during an investigation of that same president. It can be both.

Calm down, I'm not mind controlling you in how to react. Just stating my case and defence of Comey based on FACTS of the situation. He didn't fuck up royally, he did his job and his hand was forced. The results were not pretty for HRC. He also shouldn't be fired. It can be both those too.

Veitsev

Try re-reading.

Just did. All I see is some bizarre attack against liberals.

The President of the United States just fired the man responsible for the investigation into the President of the United States colluding with a hostile foreign power and you are more concerned with defending Comey against a liberal boogeyman. Makes ya think.

Sorry Bernie lost, bro.

pigeon

Banned
No that's not my argument. Nice strawman attempt though, or maybe you just don't understand. Here, let me simplify this for you. Comey had 2 choices:

1. Write a private letter that was never supposed to leak stating that he is doing the job he's supposed to be doing to Congress.

or

2. Don't write the letter. Don't do his job. And let NYPD cheif hold a public press conference mischaracterizing the emails as "staggering" and "stomach-churning"

Comey made the right call.

I'm holding out for option 3, something like "hold a press conference and make clear that there's technically new evidence but no reason to think it is important or changes the situation."

Or just write a better letter.

Also don't fuck up and block the announcement that Russa is meddling in the election and has ties to the Trump campaign.

Hitman

No, the correct response BY liberals is to have an understandable AMOUNT of anger toward him due to his actions IN the election and also have a searing amount of white hot rage toward Trump for this largely unprecedented attack on the checks and balances that are supposed to keep the institutions of the United States from swallowing each other.

I honestly have no idea why you are so much more outraged by what liberals feel about someone you don't know than by an unwarranted firing that can only be seen as an attempt to undermine the rule of law.

Who the hell says I'm not outraged by the Comey firing? Its YOU that's saying that. NOT me. I can disagree with the Comey firing and also beleive based on facts and context of the situation that Comey ISN'T a political and partisan hack because of the HRC letter.

The correct response by liberals would be to listen to Comey's testimoney. See his character for what is is (principled and non-partisan). Look at ALL the facts and context surrounding the HRC letter and judge Comey RATIONALLY and with REASON and NOT let the emotions surrounding HRC's LOSS get in the way of reading Comey's actions fairly.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Addressed the investigation part in another post.

And according to this article which cites Comey and the FBI's correction. That was NOT the "lie" he told about the Abedin emails. See here:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/9/15593660/comey-clinton-emails-false-testimony

What am I missing?

Comey claimed that Clinton aide Huma Abedin appeared "to have had a regular practice of forwarding emails" to her husband, Anthony Weiner, "for him I think to print out to her." He added that she "forwarded hundreds and thousands of emails, some of which contain classified information." This, Comey suggested, explained why the late discovery of emails on Weiner’s laptop was serious enough to justify his extraordinary October 28 letter to Congress announcing that he was reviewing new emails.
The FBI "believes it is reasonable to conclude" that "most of" the Clinton-related emails got to Weiner’s laptop "as a result of a backup of personal electronic devices."
Only "a small number" of emails on the laptop were there due to "manual forwarding by Ms. Abedin to Mr. Weiner."

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Who the hell says I'm not outraged by the Comey firing? Its YOU that's saying that. NOT me. I can disagree with the Comey firing and also beleive based on facts and context of the situation that Comey ISN'T a political and partisan hack because of the HRC letter.

The correct response by liberals would be to listen to Comey's testimoney. See his character for what is is (principled and non-partisan). Look at ALL the facts and context surrounding the HRC letter and judge Comey RATIONALLY and with REASON and NOT let the emotions surrounding HRC's LOSS get in the way of reading Comey's actions fairly.

Dude gave an unnecessary colored press conference where he dragged HRC that was totally out of protocol. Instead of a simple statement that there was no recommendation for criminal activity.

He was a fuck up well before that letter.

And yeah, I would rather have a partisan attack by a cities police chief than the head of the FBI announcing a potential criminal investigation is being reopened 10 days before the election.

Hitman

Just did. All I see is some bizarre attack against liberals.

The President of the United States just fired the man responsible for the investigation into the President of the United States colluding with a hostile foreign power and you are more concerned with defending Comey against a liberal boogeyman. Makes ya think.

Sorry Bernie lost, bro.

Then your mind is too defensive to read this conversation correctly. It's not an attack on Liberals its an attack on a liberal narrative that needs proper context and facts. Yes, I am outraged that Comey is fired. Outraged, but not suprised. What is suprising is that certain members of the supposed "Party of Reason" can't get over their emotional reactions to HRC's loss to look at the FACTS and CONTEXT of the HRC letter and judge Comey fairly.

And this isn't about Bernie. The fact that you say that again proves that you are reading my statements through a defensive and politically conditioned mind.

BigDes

You're the one that came in here screaming about the liberal boogeyman once again being to blame for the depravity of the Right. You're the one demanding we respond in a CORRECT way.

royalan

Sorry, the only person being irrational here is you.

Several posters have laid out the case for why Comey acted improperly in regards to the Clinton investigation. There was standing protocol. Comey broke it. I mean, this is pretty simple...

His by-the-book handling of the Trump investigation doesn't change that.

At this point you're not even listening to anyone, you're just repeating yourself.

Yesss spicey has been freeed

PMX3Yma.gif

Then your mind is too defensive to read this conversation correctly. It's not an attack on Liberals its an attack on a liberal narrative that needs proper context and facts. Yes, I am outraged that Comey is fired. Outraged, but not suprised. What is suprising is that certain members of the supposed "Party of Reason" can't get over their emotional reactions to HRC's loss to look at the FACTS and CONTEXT of the HRC letter and judge Comey fairly.

And this isn't about Bernie. The fact that you say that again proves that you are reading my statements through a defensive and politically conditioned mind.

Wut teh ef.

Can I get some of those auditing sessions?

Kyzer

Banned
And, again, it should have been extremely obvious that Chaffetz would immediately do that, so it was dumb of Comey to behave like that wouldn't happen. I don't even think he says in his testimony that it wasn't his fault because he didn't know Chaffetz would make the letter public, because he knows it's a terrible defense.

He said at the hearing something like "to some it may be of no discernable difference in a world full of leaks, but I didnt go to the public. I went to congress."

But...we can do both?

I view Comey as the standard comic book villain who has a turn of heart in the final act and sacrifices himself to stop the evil he unleashed onto the world.

I can applaud Comey for his efforts on the Trump investigation, and think he's a fuckwad for breaking standard DOJ protocol with Hillary Clinton and playing a visible role in getting us in this mess in the first damn place.

Stop trying to put Comey in the "good guy" or "bad guy" category. Comey is neither. Think Varys from GoT.

dickroach

Constitutional Law Scholar on MSNBC saying that Trump asking Comey to pledge his loyalty is a "clear obstruction of justice."

also I can't stop watching this shit

royalan

Stop trying to put Comey in the "good guy" or "bad guy" category. Comey is neither. Think Varys from GoT.

Uhhh...I thought my analogy made it clear that I'm not doing that?

Also my other posts on the subject?

I mean, I already gave my theory. I think Comey acted on his ego and reputation for being a maverick who marches to the beat of his own drum, and marched his ass right off a cliff.

Hitman

What am I missing?

Your missing the fact the correction is about the SOURCE of the emails whether through personal device backup or through forwarding. That is the "lie" that you are so outraged about. Which was corrected. Comey states that the majority of the 49,000 emails found were forwarded. In actuality it was only a handful of the 49,000 emails that was forwarded. Most of the 49,000 emails were due to Blackberry back up.

So what exactly do you want to attack Comey over for this? Because he got the source wrong? Just more juicy talking points for Trump and Trumptards to push in defence of the Comey firing. Trump thanks you for your help.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Okay. So let's say he doesn't open that door. Let's say he finds emails on Weiner's laptop. Emails hes SUPPOSED to be investigating for wrong doing. Let's say he just ignores his JOB and does nothing with them at all. Then NYPD comes out with a public press conference charactizing the emails as pedo related and ALSO attacks Comey for not doing his job. Now HRC is screwed AND Comey is screwed. That would have been the better result?

You haven't addressed the content of the letter itself. Which was almost deliberately ambiguous and suggestive compared to the reality clarified soon after.

I fucking LOVE how this thread turned into a Hillary email thread. Thanks Hitman.

Some people feel a lot more comfortable discussing stuff that happened months or years ago involving people who currently hold no government position instead of things currently happening involving the president ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eusis

As fucking usual. I'm not sure which is worse, Trump or the GOP.
GOP. Trump's an awful, terrible idiot, but you have a party willing to enable him for being "their man." By all rights he should've been kicked out or marginalized by the party by now.

Hitman

Dude gave an unnecessary colored press conference where he dragged HRC that was totally out of protocol. Instead of a simple statement that there was no recommendation for criminal activity.

He was a fuck up well before that letter.

And yeah, I would rather have a partisan attack by a cities police chief than the head of the FBI announcing a potential criminal investigation is being reopened 10 days before the election.

The press conference that half the nation was pushing for because "Lock her Up"? The one where he stated ACCURATELY that no charges would be brough against HRC even though the GOP pushed and pushed him to do so during public hearings?

Comey has a job to do. That job is investigating emails that could be of a classified nature showing up on personal laptops. His job was to reopen the investigation, no matter how stupid and pointless we Liberals knew it was. But his job is to conclude whether or not there was wrong-doing with regards to the emails. He found no wrong-doing. The NYPD Cheif would have characterized the emails as being as inhuman and evil as possible. With NO ONE to actually look into the emails and say they amounted to the nothing burger that it eventually was. If you really think that's the way it should have went down, you are wrong. Simple as that.

We've basically hit a point where the argument is that nobody on the left should ever say anything, because Donald Trump can do something totally insane, try to tie it to something a liberal said, his followers will accept his non-logic, and that will make it the left's fault for using words that Trump could bring up later in a completely unrelated context.

Like, I think Paul Ryan is a pretty shitty human being who should go far away and never be heard from again.

If Trump decides to deport him to Antarctica and cite my preceding sentence as justification, that makes Trump an idiot. It doesn't make me responsible for legitimizing his actions.
Well said.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Some people feel a lot more comfortable discussing stuff that happened months or years ago involving people who currently hold no government position instead of things currently happening involving the president ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It's kinda relevant.

Comey mishandling the press conference and letter shit is independent about whether that's the reason Trump fired him.

Lol of course no one buys it. Trump thinks that everyone is like him where "loyalty" is the only thing that matters. He genuinely thought liberals would praise the Firing because of what happened with hillary. He is such a fool.

Hitman

We can't help people accepting pure unfiltered bullshit. What's the objective hand wringing over literal nonsense?

Also, Dems can be upset with Comey, but also think his firing was a shameless and gross move by the Trump administration. It's not at all difficult to envision.

You can actually. Your attitude towards the truth allows lies to fester. Supporting false narratives against Comey hurts the Liberal cause.

And Yes you can be outraged against the Comey firing and also hate Comey. Never said you couldn't. What I'm saying is that your Comey hate is unwarranted. And not only that, it supports the would-be dictator and his legion that you are so against.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The press conference that half the nation was pushing for because "Lock her Up"? The one where he stated ACCURATELY that no charges would be brough against HRC even though the GOP pushed and pushed him to do so during public hearings?

Comey has a job to do. That job is investigating emails that could be of a classified nature showing up on personal laptops. His job was to reopen the investigation, no matter how stupid and pointless we Liberals knew it was. But his job is to conclude whether or not there was wrong-doing with regards to the emails. He found no wrong-doing. The NYPD Cheif would have characterized the emails as being as inhuman and evil as possible. With NO ONE to actually look into the emails and say they amounted to the nothing burger that it eventually was. If you really think that's the way it should have went down, you are wrong. Simple as that.

So You simply refuse to actually address what people are actually criticizing comey for.

A press conference where he threw Hillary under the bus despite no charges was not typical fbi procedure. It was giving into partisan pressure.

Thing thing with the letter.

theWB27

So....I was at work. Did anything happen with the Burr/warner/rosenstein meeting? Anything happen with the raids? Was it just that one raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom