• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
Those other positions not being "obviously" racist is basically the southern strategy and dog whistle politics in a nutshell.

Exactly.

Back on-topic, but I don't think that any single quote from Trump is going to necessarily bring him down. What could bring him down though, is sworn testimony from Comey asserting that Trump tried to subvert his position at the FBI in exchange for keeping his job. Like...for example...being pressured into swearing loyalty to the POTUS, when he was under an active FBI investigation.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
slemysword_optim.gif
This is very good. Thank you.

DMczaf

Wait...Trump admitted he probed the Director of the FBI if he was investigating him???

What...why does he keep doing interviews?!

Dr.Acula

Banned
If you read the transcript of the NBC train wreck he actually walks back the three times thing and inserts that he may have heard other people say that Comey said he wasn't under investigation. In other words he heard it on fox and friends.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...p-tells-lester-holt-in-interview-941538371971

At the 1:30 mark.

"We had a very nice dinner. And at that time he told me "you are not under investigation.""

1:48

"Then during a phone call he said it, and during another phone call he said it. So he said it once at dinner, and then he said it twice during phone calls."

Wait...Trump admitted he probed the Director of the FBI if he was investigating him???

What...why does he keep doing interviews?!

Nobody ever told him to not speak in front of a mic in over 60 years, and nobody's going to tell him the rest of his life

And even if they did, he doesn't know what "no" is so he wouldn't listen

Nobody ever told him to not speak in front of a mic in over 60 years, and nobody's going to tell him the rest of his life

And even if they did, he doesn't know what "no" is so he wouldn't listen

I wonder how long until Trump literally starts using the term "deep state" when talking about the IC?

You know the lawyers should really just have GAF help gather evidence.

Also when will this idiot learn that he should stop talking until a team of lawyers vet his statements.

Probably because his only lawyers are:

- Jeff Sessions, who has already been caught lying
- Michael Cohen, the guy who defended accusations of Trump raping his first wife by saying "It's not rape if they were married"
- Whatever firms he hires that are given zero notice about what he plans on saying

MikeyB

The mass media has covered politics heavily forever. I mean, I understand that some of you are too young to remember the Clinton and Bush years, but trust me, the current state of U.S. politics is not significantly different than it was then. Trump is definitely the most bizarre POTUS we've ever had, but the politics haven't changed.

I remember Reagan. This is distinctly different.

Because I haven't done the reading and the All The President's Men movie didn't cover it, can anybody explain how the Watergate scandal resulted in bipartisan opposition to Nixon? What made the GOP turn against him as well as Dems, so that he'd be impeached? I understand what he did wrong and what he got in trouble for, but it seems like nowadays even that would be glossed over by the GOP.

Rubenov

Because I haven't done the reading and the All The President's Men movie didn't cover it, can anybody explain how the Watergate scandal resulted in bipartisan opposition to Nixon? What made the GOP turn against him as well as Dems, so that he'd be impeached? I understand what he did wrong and what he got in trouble for, but it seems like nowadays even that would be glossed over by the GOP.

Receipts

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Not really.
Republicans at the time were shocked and offended by the Saturday Night Massacre in a way that present-day Republicans just aren't about this Comey firing.
Someone was saying earlier that politics have always been this partisan but voting records say otherwise.

Sulik2

The GOP is much more corrupt now then the Nixon era.

Resignation of the AG, DAG, firing of the special prosecutor (who were republicans save Cox) and the release of the tapes. They had no choice.

It was a different era. It wasn't nearly as partisan.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Resignation of the AG, DAG, firing of the special prosecutor (who were all republicans) and the release of the tapes. They had no choice.

None of the tapes were released before he resigned.

digdug2k

THe whole transcript is a mess he is a raving lunatic.
However the money shot is when he says

"In fact when i decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said fhis Russia thing with trump and russia is a made-up story"

The fact this stands alone inside the mess that was his conversation is as close as anyone will get that the logic was that if he fires Comey - no matter the recommendation - it will muck with the " trump Russia thing ".
I love that the guy asks "are you a big fan of comey for taking up the investigation?" And Trump replies "the Clinton investigation?" Like that's right after he says he fired him to end the Russia one. His mind wandered back to Clinton in the span of a one sentence question. I can't imagine how many prostitutes have been in the white house just this month to pee on anything the woman touched.

RCSI

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...p-tells-lester-holt-in-interview-941538371971

At the 1:30 mark.

"We had a very nice dinner. And at that time he told me "you are not under investigation.""

1:48

"Then during a phone call he said it, and during another phone call he said it. So he said it once at dinner, and then he said it twice during phone calls."

Unless he morphed his wiretap view into investigation. Only other instance of reassuring Trump is Comey attempting to dispel the wiretap claims.

None of the tapes were released before he resigned.

Following a subpoena from the Judiciary Committee, in April 1974 edited transcripts of many Watergate-related conversations from the Nixon White House tapes were made public by Nixon, but the committee pressed for full tapes and additional conversations. Nixon refused, but on July 24, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against him. On July 27, 29, and 30, 1974, the Committee approved three articles of impeachment against Nixon, for obstruction of justice, abuse of power, and contempt of Congress, and reported those articles to the House of Representatives.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Curious: Any liberals left that hated Comey for the HRC emails? Thanks for giving Trump the talking point he needed to defend the Comey firing.

Here's the facts about Comey. Was ALWAYS non partisan. Was ALWAYS a patriot. And the only man in the USA with the resources to stop the would-be dictator Trump. Thanks for the unwarranted and irrational hate on Comey.

Curious: Any liberals left that hated Comey for the HRC emails? Thanks for giving Trump the talking point he needed to defend the Comey firing.

Here's the facts about Comey. Was ALWAYS non partisan. Was ALWAYS a patriot. And the only man in the USA with the resources to stop the would-be dictator Trump. Thanks for the unwarranted and irrational hate on Comey.

Please stop pretending like reasons matter to Trump.

That talking point that lasted less than like 12 hours?

Such a random thing to bitch about

Thanks for the unwarranted and irrational hate on Comey.

It wasn't unwarranted nor irrational, he had zero reason to send the Oct. letter. Zero.

Comey was gonna be fired because of the investigation into Russia. The talking point about Clinton emails will die in a week. Hell Trump killed it himself in 3 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom