• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Since this is already so surreal, it can only go one way: Comey brings Trump down and somehow works his way to become president.

In all seriousness though, Comey is becoming a very popular figure. He could definitely run in 2020 if he wanted to.

No way he can become anything but a political pariah in 2020 unless he singlehandedly provides the info that takes down Trump. He simply has made too many high profile mistakes to not be evenly despised by members of all parties at this point. We were just tolerating him because he seemed to be taking seriously his role of investigating Trump/Russia. His usefulness is gone :p

In all seriousness though, Comey is becoming a very popular figure. He could definitely run in 2020 if he wanted to. His conservative views aside, having someone competent as president feels like an unobtainable fantasy at this point.

.....no, no I don't think I would go far. Now if you excuse me I have to vote for the only person I trust, the rock.

Zolo

From this article:

C_qswZuWsAAtM9r.jpg

aw yiss

For instance, one official was having a conversation with a Daily Beast reporter on Friday morning when the reporter interrupted the official to inform them that Trump was on Twitter again.

After a brief pause to check Twitter, the senior Trump aide informed of the unfolding rant, responded, “Jesus.”
lmao. The "Oh god! He's tweeting!" response is real.

Seventy70

...lol, no.

No way he can become anything but a political pariah in 2020 unless he singlehandedly provides the info that takes down Trump. He simply has made too many high profile mistakes to not be evenly despised by members of all parties at this point. We were just tolerating him because he seemed to be taking seriously his role of investigating Trump/Russia. His usefulness is gone :p

I think it depends. It could be possible that the media will paint him as the "hero" that took down Trump in the end. If all this Russia stuff ends up being proven true, people will be hard on the issue and go for a person they feel is the least susceptible to Russian influence. Then again, 2020 is far away, so it's still early to say.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Even if he wants to testify in public... to who? The Senate nor House will not allow it. They don't want anything that will be blow back against the RNC.

And Comey running for Prez? No fucking chance in hell. Even if everything is true with a peepee tape on top. The DNC nor RNC don't want to touch him, since he would have effectively tanked both their parties. Maybe Comey/Rand Paul ticket.

Zolo

I think it depends. It could be possible that the media will paint him as the "hero" that took down Trump in the end. If all this Russia stuff ends up being proven true, people will be hard on the issue and go for a person they feel is the least susceptible to Russian influence. Then again, 2020 is far away, so it's still early to say.

Comey doesn't even strike me as the type who'd want to. I feel his reputation will end up being 'eh' at the end of all this, but too many people from both parties will have reasons to dislike him.

This is going to be one of the most anticipated hearings ever. The genie's out of the bottle.

Its become apparent to me that barraging him with hearings, interviews, requsts for those, and constant bombardment of negative press causes him to have no time to pivot to something else, so the barrage of bad news for him outside the WH is mirrored by a barrage of screwups from the WH hastening his downfall.

Please Mr. Comey, at your leisure.

RaidenZR

What can he even say that isn't confidential? When would this even be?

He can make statements openly about anything the President has made public. That's fair game. Anything in Trump's public firing letter about Comey, and all these statements he's made about conversations & dinner with Comey from the interviews of the past few days. These all affect Comey's personal and professional reputation, so he probably wants to give his side.

Blizzard

Banned
Nothing classified but he can go on the record under oath about the conversations he's had with the president. Since Trump brought them up the White House apparently cannot raise executive privilege and keep him from talking about it.
Can't Trump and Trump supporters just claim Comey is lying about whatever he says? If what's already happens doesn't convinced people, I'd love to be wrong but I don't see someone saying "Dang, I supported Trump to this point, but Comey saying this one thing totally convinced me otherwise."

i fear even comey testifying will not change anything on the stance of the republicans. it may just accelerate what i think trump inevitably is going to try. change the "living" constitution of the US (fun fact: the weimar constitution remained largely unchanged during the third reich). he is already ignoring the law and conventions. he will start ignore the judicial and legislative branch too. itsinteresting if he will do so by placing a formal justification like the "ermächtigunsgesetz" or if he will just do as it pleases.
Can't Trump and Trump supporters just claim Comey is lying about whatever he says? If what's already happens doesn't convinced people, I'd love to be wrong but I don't see someone saying "Dang, I supported Trump to this point, but Comey saying this one thing totally convinced me otherwise."

trump openly said that he could murder and still people will support him. i think he really could ordeer private assassins to murder comey and twitter about it and he would be left untouched at this point (like duterte)

Davide

A Trump supporter was just asking me today how you could trust Comey over him. They are unbelievable.

RaidenZR

If it's sworn testimony and under oath, it holds more water than a Lester Holt interview. Comey has more respect in the house and senate to boot. Goes without saying.

cameron

Donald's cult followers are of no consequence here. The end goal isn't to convince them of reality.

Blizzard

Banned
If it's sworn testimony and under oath, it holds more water than a Lester Holt interview. Comey has more respect in the house and senate to boot. Goes without saying.
Why would respect matter when Republicans have the majority? They can simply opt to keep power.

KHarvey16

He'll be under oath. Most people believe his dismissal was inappropriate already, so frankly it doesn't matter what die-hard Trump supporters think. As more and more piles on that group shrinks below the point of relevancy.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
A Trump supporter was just asking me today how you could trust Comey over him. They are unbelievable.

I, to get a healthy dose of of news on both sides, I follow people on the right that write for NRO or a George Will as well. I also follow Charles Krauthammer and he had an article and people were calling him leftist and a liberal. I'm a liberal, Charles isn't one. However, it's like sports to them or rather a cult that simply wants to win and not question if their position on certain issues are wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwTU9Y_pVX0

Chris Wallace and Shep Smith talk about Trump's threats. They are not happy.

Chris has his dad's legacy to live up to and since Roger Ailes is gone and Shep came out publicly, he gives no more fucks. Good for both of them to talk with some sense.

jman2050

Any serious claim that Comey is lying would have to result in pursuing perjury charges, and I'm pretty sure that will only make things worse for Trump.

RaidenZR

Why would respect matter when Republicans have the majority? They can simply opt to keep power.

I didn't say anything would change, I just said it holds more water.

Any serious claim that Comey is lying would have to result in pursuing perjury charges, and I'm pretty sure that will only make things worse for Trump.

This too. He's going to have to go on an official record and put it in testimony to counter it. If he does that and stands his ground, it's only going to create more controversy. Trump likes to stir shit up, but confront him and he runs away. Look at Dickerson's interview when he pressed him about standing by his Obama wiretapping claims when they were in the Oval Office.

KHarvey16

Also after Trump stupidly tweeted about recordings you can bet that if they do exist they'll be subpoenaed and then we can hear for ourselves what they discussed.

Davide

This too. He's going to have to go on an official record and put it in testimony to counter it. If he does that and stands his ground, it's only going to create more controversy. Trump likes to stir shit up, but confront him and he runs away. Look at Dickerson's interview when he pressed him about standing by his Obama wiretapping claims when they were in the Oval Office.
Yeah, in today's interview he wouldn't even comment on this morning's tweet about Comey.

He'll be under oath. Most people believe his dismissal was inappropriate already, so frankly it doesn't matter what die-hard Trump supporters think. As more and more piles on that group shrinks below the point of relevancy.

mid terms are still far away and usually liberals dont vote as religiously. the next presidential election is even more far away... the point is that voter opinion in general frankly matters nothing at this point.

also at the rate america is accepting trumps behavior is questionable if there will next elections at all.

Even if he wants to testify in public... to who? The Senate nor House will not allow it. They don't want anything that will be blow back against the RNC.

And Comey running for Prez? No fucking chance in hell. Even if everything is true with a peepee tape on top. The DNC nor RNC don't want to touch him, since he would have effectively tanked both their parties. Maybe Comey/Rand Paul ticket.

The only reason Yates testified on Monday is because Grassley and Graham wanted it to happen. There are times where the GOP's hands are tied. If they don't let Comey testify to them, in a setting they can at least control a little, he will testify to Scott Pelly on 60 Minutes.

The Trump/Russia story is going to keep moving, people like Burr and Grassley have to take care not to get run over. The primary directive for every politician is self preservation.

KHarvey16

mid terms are still far away and usually liberals dont vote as religiously. the next presidential election is even more far away... the point is that voter opinion in general frankly matters nothing at this point.

also at the rate america is accepting trumps behavior is questionable if there will next elections at all.

If you honestly don't believe Republicans in the house and senate are worried about the upcoming elections you're crazy. The approval ratings and that D+16 are a nightmare for politicians in all but the reddest of red districts and states.

Power that they could very well lose in 2018. If this story pulls them under in the midterms, then Democrats will have the power to keep it alive until 2020. At that point the GOP could lose almost everything. They need all of this to go away as quickly as possible.

Midterms are less than a year and a half away. The townhalls that are Congressional lifeblood are an untennable shitshow.

If you honestly don't believe Republicans in the house and senate are worried about the upcoming elections you're crazy. The approval ratings and that D+16 are a nightmare for politicians in all but the reddest of red districts and states.

as i said. i question if there will even be elections. the us political system is getting ignored by trump and he is just testing with what he can get away with at this point. if republicans dont stop him now he may as well declare the united states of trump, an absolute monarchy.

It's all just hearsay that Comey would testify publicly, isn't it? The closest I could find was a "personal associate" or something like that.
Hearsay? Hearsay are rumors. Times and Post reporters do not write about rumors. This is a well placed source that's a close associate of Comey.

Blizzard

Banned
Donald's cult followers are of no consequence here. The end goal isn't to convince them of reality.
I'd love for it to happen but this just seems like very wishful thinking to me. First, as pointed out, the House / Senate could simply block Comey from testifying if they think it could threaten their power.

Secondly, who would Comey be trying to convince? Independent voters who currently sort of support Trump despite all he's done? Independent senators or representatives? I guess a couple of them have said things, but I haven't seen evidence that any Republicans would take significant action and face the consequences of getting blacklisted by their party, and even if a few sacrifice themselves to try an impeachment proceeding, there's no guarantee Trump would be found guilty.

Thirdly, if Comey had something seriously impactful to say other than "Trump outright lied 2-3 times about a dinner" in a legal sense, wouldn't it have already happened?

Mock me all you want if I'm wrong, but it just seems like a crazy chain of events would need to happen here.

Power that they could very well lose in 2018. If this story pulls them under in the midterms, then Democrats will have the power to keep it alive until 2020. At that point the GOP could lose almost everything. They need all of this to go away as quickly as possible.

Midterms are less than a year and a half away. The townhalls that are Congressional lifeblood are an untennable shitshow.
Maybe, but I feel like this sort of crap has been happening for 4-6 months and hasn't gone away quickly, and Republicans haven't pivoted yet.

That is a good point that if Comey goes under oath perjury charges would have to be filed, and maybe there's still hope there.

KHarvey16

If the Senate committee were just going to sandbag it and do nothing that could endanger a republican, we wouldn't see the movement regarding financial crimes investigations we've seen and Yates and Clapper would have stayed home.

digdug2k

Its become apparent to me that barraging him with hearings, interviews, requsts for those, and constant bombardment of negative press causes him to have no time to pivot to something else, so the barrage of bad news for him outside the WH is mirrored by a barrage of screwups from the WH hastening his downfall.

Please Mr. Comey, at your leisure.
Its kinda interesting to me that, even if Trump wasn't an insane idiot, one of his biggest problems seems to be that he's just bitten off way way way too much in 3 months time. Like he's seriously got initiatives going to:

1.) Start 2 new wars in NK and Syria
2.) Write a new healthcare bill
3.) Dismantle or renegotiate 2 huge trade deals (plus he has to write individual trade deals for every SE Asian countries now that he's backed out of the TPP).
4.) Building a wall / immigration "reform"
5.) An infrastructure bill
6.) Dismantling things like the EPA, and basically ALL the "undo-Obama" shit
7.) Fallout from dumb ass decisions like firing Comey in the middle of all of it

Like any one of those things up above would be a normal 3month-1year project for a president to get behind (at least). And he's trying to do it all understaffed. Plus he still tries to find time to Tweet and watch everything on FoxNews/CNN/MSNBC, and give interviews. And he's already campaigning for 2020 at the same time too. He's fucking nuts. I'm surprised he's not dead from it. Thankfully trying to do it all at once is a great way to make sure none of it gets done.

Hindl

as i said. i question if there will even be elections. the us political system is getting ignored by trump and he is just testing with what he can get away with at this point. if republicans dont stop him now he may as well declare the united states of trump, an absolute monarchy.

Suspending elections would have to be upheld by the courts, and the courts have been bitchslapping Trump since day one

Suspending elections would have to be upheld by the courts, and the courts have been bitchslapping Trump since day one

ignoring courts is easy for a dictator. they dont have any physical power. look at turkey, look at poland. if trump can keep the military, the police and the intelligence services on his side that is.

Hindl

ignoring courts is easy for a dictator. they dont have any physical power. look at turkey, look at poland. if trump can keep the military, the police and the intelligence services on his side that is.

So why didn't he ignore the courts when they stopped him earlier?

And lol intelligence services being on his side

So why didn't he ignore the courts when they stopped him earlier?

And lol intelligence services being on his side

he actually did ignore the courts by issuing a slightly amended executive order that has still the same core discrimination. he could have played this schtick ad infinitum but he turned his attention elsewhere.
So he could do it if only he'd stop failing at doing it? Right.
i dont think he is a smart dictator. i just think his political thinking and leadership style will inevitably go to this direction, in particular once he has to face elections which he will loose

Hindl

he actually did ignore the courts by issuing a slightly amended executive order that has still the same core discrimination. he could have played this schtick ad infinitum but he turned his attention elsewhere.
i dont think he is a smart dictator. i just think his political thinking and leadership style will inevitably go to this direction, in particular once he has to face elections which he will loose

He didn't ignore the courts. Revising the order to be legal is what a President is supposed to do. This still wasn't, so the courts shot down the second ban too. That's why it went away

Second federal judge blocks revised Trump travel ban

theWB27

So you're explaining how he's nowhere close to being one despite wanting the authority.

jWILL253

Banned
Cross-posting from PoliGAF, since I know this thread is super active:

So, now that Trump has made so many enemies this week alone with his actions, that it's now a matter of "when" he goes down, instead of "if" he goes down...

I just want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes, and who else is a part of this elaborate scheme to ruin us from within? The FBI's RICO raid on the GOP fundraising headquarters, and the probe into Paul Manafort's finances and Trump's casinos has really captured my interest here. What are the odds that multiple GOP politicians are knowingly having their SuperPACS funded via illegal money laundered by the Russian Mob/The Kremlin? Who paid who, who took favors from who, who enacted Russian-favorable public policy?

It might seem kinda farfetched due to the pure ridiculousness of the whole ordeal, but reality is so much stranger than fiction that I'm surprised we haven't figured out a way to make pigs fly at this point. We might not only be looking at the collapse of the Trump administration... depending on how deep this RICO case goes, and how much longer Republicans continue to gaslight for Trump, we might actually witness the systemic collapse of a political party that, en masse, sold out to a foreign entity for the sake of power and riches.

It's actually kind of exciting, and would be entertaining if it didn't mean that we're watching the collapse of our democracy in real time. Depending on how deep this is, our country could fundamentally transform seemingly overnight.

HotHamBoy

Cross-posting from PoliGAF, since I know this thread is super active:

So, now that Trump has made so many enemies this week alone with his actions, that it's now a matter of "when" he goes down, instead of "if" he goes down...

I just want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes, and who else is a part of this elaborate scheme to ruin us from within? The FBI's RICO raid on the GOP fundraising headquarters, and the probe into Paul Manafort's finances and Trump's casinos has really captured my interest here. What are the odds that multiple GOP politicians are knowingly having their SuperPACS funded via illegal money laundered by the Russian Mob/The Kremlin? Who paid who, who took favors from who, who enacted Russian-favorable public policy?

It might seem kinda farfetched due to the pure ridiculousness of the whole ordeal, but reality is so much stranger than fiction that I'm surprised we haven't figured out a way to make pigs fly at this point. We might not only be looking at the collapse of the Trump administration... depending on how deep this RICO case goes, and how much longer Republicans continue to gaslight for Trump, we might actually witness the systemic collapse of a political party that, en masse, sold out to a foreign entity for the sake of power and riches.

It's actually kind of exciting, and would be entertaining if it didn't mean that we're watching the collapse of our democracy in real time. Depending on how deep this is, our country could fundamentally transform seemingly overnight.

A disturbingly large part of the population would believe it is all a conspiracy/coup.

White Christian Conservatives have done an amazing job of making themselves out to be the victims of their victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom