• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimes

I watched All The President's Men a month or two ago, and while it's a good movie for focusing on Woodward and Berenstein and the WaPo, it left me wanting for something that went deeper into the politics. I wound up watching The American Experience: The Presidents on Nixon, but it was more focused on the arc of his entire career. I really need to do another search for a good doc that does a real blow-by-blow of Watergate specifically.

Zubz

Banned
After Trump is gone and the tell all books start coming out and kids starting learning about this stuff in history class, man is history to shit all over Trump.

May be king for a day but a villian forever.

I think he wants that. Part of me wants Putin to be pulling strings here if only so Trump is remembered as little more than a pawn.

Of course, that'd be terrifying if true, but it also seems hella likely & I've grown numb to the idea that we're just a puppet government for Russia by now.

Hastati

Third time in a row, after Yates and Bharara.

So what happens if we get Giuliani in there? Is there anything that can be done to prevent him from just immediately shutting down the investigation?

Hypothetically, if Hillary had won and she fired Comey during an attempt to investigate her. No one on the right would find that remotely interesting or an issue at all. Right?

Oh, nm, I'll go fuck my self.

The New York Times has a really great piece explaining the problem with CNN's coverage of Donald Trump. Essentially, the president of CNN and Trump managed to create a mutually beneficial relationship. Here's an excerpt:

For me, CNN is fine when it has actual experts who can bring some meaningful insight into a discussion. But whenever it brings incredulous makeup-donning actors to turn the network into an Op-Ed shouting match, I flip the channel. I will note, though, that CNN isn't the only network to do this; they are but a part of a larger issue with American cable news.

Everyone's getting worked into a shoot

antonz

Some interesting timing.

On April 17th The Eastern District in Virginia filed a case on behalf of the US Government against unnamed people. It was speculated to be the first of the 2 proceedings Comey was doing. The same day the Virginia case was filed a separate case was filed again against unlisted Plantiffs in the Southern NY District.

Now we more or less have confirmation of the VA case.

from GAF. i'm pretty sure it was here that I found out Fox hated him for some reason

You're not totally wrong. During the GOP primary, Trump and FOX News had a major public spat, first with Trump attacking lead FOX anchor Megyn Kelly, and then later public twitter criticisms of Roger Ailles (who has since resigned as his post of the head of FOX News after sexual misconduct on the job). Kelly resigned from FOX, Trump won the GOP primary, and since then, the network and Trump have been cozy as two cooters in a cabin.

But that was well over a year ago. FOX went back to being the mouthpiece of the GOP leadership which is, of course, Donald Trump.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Got into an explosive argument with someone after the BS. Almost lost my voice.

Trump will be the death of me.

I got into a screaming match with one of my assistants. Almost fired him.

Nafai1123

Banned

So what happens if we get Giuliani in there? Is there anything that can be done to prevent him from just immediately shutting down the investigation?

Congress can do something. They could do something right now if the GOP weren't spinless traitorous fucks.

iammeiam

Was Comey relatively well-liked within his agency? I get part of the reason that was supposed to justify his reviving Clinton's emails was supposed to be heading off leaks from pro-Trump factions in the FBI. But pro-Trump hasn't had the public appearance of meaning anti-Comey before, so I'm trying to figure out the size of the hornets nest Trump just poked. If there's a decent chunk of Comey loyalists in the agency, this seems like a great way to unify them and anybody with a Democrat partisan bent to keep every possible investigation running.

I'm not totally shocked Trump took a run at Comey, but I'm a little surprised that this much lead time didn't give them a better exit strategy

Skatterd

lY0N7Ei.png

If it looks like a Watergate
And it quacks like a Watergate

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Congress could appoint a special prosecutor. So no.

For all practical purposes, the Russia thing is now over from a legal standpoint. DOJ won't go after Trump. Trump's own man will soon be in charge of the FBI, and Congress and the Senate wont do anything but grandstand to give the appearance of an investigation.

It's over, and Trump won.

mr stroke

Hypothetically, if Hillary had won and she fired Comey during an attempt to investigate her. No one on the right would find that remotely interesting or an issue at all. Right?

Oh, nm, I'll go fuck my self.

Nope, if Hillary fired him, there would be just as much outrage (obviously more from the right)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If it looks like a Watergate
And it quacks like a Watergate

I just hope we stop attaching Gate to all of our controversie.

Blaming the Hillary Email Investigation is not a bad plan outright, but the timing is flat out crap. If this was done 2 months ago, the excuse may have went over better, but Trump likely though Comey was in his pocket for the first few months.

or maybe we should blame you

don't know which fool came up with the electoral math formula, but i think you signed it

image.php

trump got fewer votes
we, the sheep, didn't screw up that much

One of the reasons the electoral college was crafted was to protect the presidency from a scenario like this; another reason why we're a republic and not a direct democracy. Unfortunately over the decades, polical parties have run rampant and have been putting party before country.

From Wikipedia:

The original plan of the Electoral College was based upon several assumptions and anticipations of the Framers of the Constitution:

Individual electors would be elected by citizens on a district-by-district basis.

Each presidential elector would exercise independent judgment when voting.
Candidates would not pair together on the same ticket with assumed placements toward each office of president and vice president.
The system as designed would rarely produce a winner, thus sending the election to Congress.

According to the text of Article II, however, each state government was free to have its own plan for selecting its electors, and the Constitution does not explicitly require states to popularly elect their electors. Several different methods for selecting electors are described at length below.

watershed

Banned
This is what happens when you elect someone who is extremely unqualified for the presidency and does not have the country's best interest in mind. We elected a corrupt, morally bankrupt, egocentric baby.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
LMAO @ this clown on CNN saying 'both sides of the aisle' were pissed with Comey for revealing the info in July.

What a way to imply that 'we're pissed this is happening' and 'we're pissed she's not in jail' are the same sentiment.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Hillary would have dismissed (not fired) him on day one, because it's SOP for anyone in an appointed role to submit a letter of resignation which the president either accepts or declines. The "ten year appointment" is a token thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom