• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergie

Banned
I thought comey was the guy who gave trump the election by making the hillary investigation announcements, and generally fucked up every announcement he made during the election.

Im surprised he wasnt fired earlier for all the things people were saying he did wrong or were not right for the fbi to announce.

I actually think i remember a lot of big name democrats calling for him to be fired?
This is the kind of naivety they were banking on. Ignore past statements but focus on something that happened back in November, as if the preceding 5 months+ never happened.

Never mind praising him about that decision they chose to fire him over now.

I apologize for the fact that James Comey was in a position that is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the President and that the career FBI employees doing the actual investigating work on the special Russia investigative task force do not "muddies the waters" for this forums paranoid fantasies about the dark totalitarian state Donald Trump has just ushered in by doing something done before with someone that everyone has called incompetent or worse for the last six months plus.

But, really, let's get back to singing the praises of the Patriot Act, that was the good ol days of bipartisan unconstitutional power grabs by the corporate state! Ahhh, sweet sweet protection from evildoers.

None of this is true.

So how much of this is premeditated and how much is just instinct?

Help her loose, duh

He can call all he wants, isn't going to do shit :/

What matters most is what Republicans think and they're divided right now. I'll be patiently waiting to see if they stick with the adminstration or go rogue and off message against their team.

Barzul

I apologize for the fact that James Comey was in a position that is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the President and that the career FBI employees doing the actual investigating work on the special Russia investigative task force do not "muddies the waters" for this forums paranoid fantasies about the dark totalitarian state Donald Trump has just ushered in by doing something done before with someone that everyone has called incompetent or worse for the last six months plus.

But, really, let's get back to singing the praises of the Patriot Act, that was the good ol days of bipartisan unconstitutional power grabs by the corporate state! Ahhh, sweet sweet protection from evildoers.

None of this is true.
You ignored what I said, so you actually don't intend to really debate this. Think what you think then because it's naive to think that those under Comey at the FBI cannot be terminated by executive discretion. He appointed McCabe and he now serves at Trump's pleasure and so do all those under him.

digdug2k

All of the career FBI employees on the special Russia investigation task force and acting FBI director Andrew McCabe (who was in more of a direct position above the Russia investigation than Comey) don't exist now or what?
You do realize the the director of the FBI decides what those guys do right? That someone new can/will likely disband or hobble the taskforce the day they start? That the FBI isn't just a loose conglomeration of independent Pi's?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If Obama fired Comey during the investigation into Hilary, the Repubs would have completely lost their minds. Please someone pretend like they wouldn't have. PRETTY Please. Now that Trump and his guys are under scrutiny for worse crimes with WAY more evidence, it's okay! Sure thing, Huck.

Vq7BgAv.png

Yeah, that damn CCN.

This tweet is somehow still up. He seemingly doesn't get that what he posted doesn't actually make sense.

Oersted

None of this is true.

Nice to be mistaken

Linkark07

Banned
If Obama fired Comey during the investigation into Hilary, the Repubs would have completely lost their minds. Please someone pretend like they wouldn't have. PRETTY Please. Now that Trump and his guys are under scrutiny for worse crimes with WAY more evidence, it's okay! Sure thing, Huck.

I think we all know the filthy hypocrites Republicans are. Hopefully this bites them in the ass in the midterms.

benjipwns

Banned
You ignored what I said, so you actually don't intend to really debate this. Think what you think then because it's naive to think that those under Comey at the FBI cannot be terminated by executive discretion. He appointed McCabe and he now serves at Trump's pleasure and so do all those under him.
No, McCabe is acting director because Comey just got fired and he was next in command. The President doesn't appoint the deputy director, the director does. The acting director serves until a director is appointed and confirmed or the legislation authorizing the FBI is changed.

You do realize the the director of the FBI decides what those guys do right? That someone new can/will likely disband or hobble the taskforce the day they start? That the FBI isn't just a loose conglomeration of independent Pi's?
And when will the Senate hearings on that new director be?

jaxpunk

Since you asked so nicely, I'm pretending right now!

Jerm411

Seeing scuttlebutt on Twitter about voting machines in Wisconsin found to have been tampered with....didn't see the amount or if it's proven, what timing if true.....

marrec

Banned
No, McCabe is acting director because Comey just got fired and he was next in command. The President doesn't appoint the deputy director, the director does. The acting director serves until a director is appointed and confirmed or the legislation authorizing the FBI is changed.

And when will the Senate hearings on that new director be?

I guess the assumption is that Trump will put his own personal lackey in place as FBI director and then they will shut down the investigation?

I agree with you Benji, people are losing their damn minds over this with little to no evidence of any reason to lose their damn minds over. I think it's clear this firing is not about Hillary's e-mails, but instead about a personal grudge with Comey, but I don't see how his firing is going to change the direction of the investigation. Moreover, if a new director were to close the investigation prematurely, it would be a complete political shitstorm that would make this one seem a light breeze in comparison.

If this is truly Trump doing his best Nixon impression, then we got nothing to worry about because it'll be the start of the downfall fantasy so many on the left cling too, if it was just Trump using Comey's latest SNAFU as an excuse to fire him over a grudge, then we have nothing to worry about because the investigation will continue.

Either way, this isn't some executive power grab, given that the president has clear authority to do this and Comey had fucked up more than a few times.

benjipwns

Banned
It's only to be expected from a poster who is so contemptuous of the system as to ironically give cover to naked corruption.
Again, I apologize that explaining how the system actually works and offering actual criminal behavior by Presidents as a counterpoint is "ironically giving cover" to something that I imagine would have been called "going easy" on James Comey to posters who have spent the last six months taking this kind of view:
excelsiorlef said:
James Comey will one day go down as one of the biggest villains in US history if it survives.

I guess the assumption is that Trump will put his own personal lackey in place as FBI director and then they will shut down the investigation?

I agree with you Benji, people are losing their damn minds over this with little to no evidence of any reason to lose their damn minds over. I think it's clear this firing is not about Hillary's e-mails, but instead about a personal grudge with Comey, but I don't see how his firing is going to change the direction of the investigation. Moreover, if a new director were to close the investigation prematurely, it would be a complete political shitstorm that would make this one seem a light breeze in comparison.

If this is truly Trump doing his best Nixon impression, then we got nothing to worry about because it'll be the start of the downfall fantasy so many on the left cling too, if it was just Trump using Comey's latest SNAFU as an excuse to fire him over a grudge, then we have nothing to worry about because the investigation will continue.

Either way, this isn't some executive power grab, given that the president has clear authority to do this and Comey had fucked up more than a few times.
please stop trolling, this is serious

Oersted

Again, I apologize that explaining how the system actually works and offering actual criminal behavior by Presidents as a counterpoint is "ironically giving cover" to something that I imagine would have been called "going easy" on James Comey to posters who have spent the last six months taking this kind of view:

Don't go down the hivemind rabbit hole. You have been there to often

KingV

They lost their mind when Bill spoke to the Attorney General.

That was also inappropriate, but this is 1000x moreso

WedgeX

Banned

Precedent matters in the United States constitutional system. And there's no precedent for a President to fire an FBI Director without an investigation. Much less for a President to fire an FBI Director whose agency is in charge of an on-going investigation of the President at the recommendation of an Attorney General who recused himself from said investigation due to a conflict of interest.

RPGCrazied

Now he went to Comey and basically making argument that Democrats asked for Comey's firing.

That is bullshit. If that were true he should have fired him months ago. Anyone believing Trump fired him over the way he handled the Hillary email thing is just flat out not true.

Plumbob

I apologize for the fact that James Comey was in a position that is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the President

Here you explain why the firing was legal, not why it was good for the country.

and that the career FBI employees doing the actual investigating work on the special Russia investigative task force do not "muddies the waters"

Those quotes are pretty Trumpian. No one literally wrote what you quoted.

Trump's goal is to stop this investigation. If he installs a sympathetic FBI director, the investigation will be disrupted.

for this forums paranoid fantasies about the dark totalitarian state Donald Trump has just ushered in by doing something done before with someone that everyone has called incompetent or worse for the last six months plus.

You can dislike Comey while also recognizing Trump consolidating power and attempting to end the investigation by firing him.

And calling vigilance against authoritarianism "paranoid" is, frankly, dishonorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom