• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Of course McConnell is going to stonewall the investigations.

New FBI director (read: Trump plant) will either kill investigations outright or miraculously find nothing incriminating.

It's dead, folks. Focus on getting him out in 2020.

Yup, exactly what happened with Nixon. Forget it, folks.

WedgeX

Banned
Comey isn't some rogue PI who's personally digging up dirt on the nasty man in the White House. As director of the FBI, he was responsible for managing the people who managed multiple ongoing investigations. The investigation into Russia isn't going to sputter and falter because the director was fired. That is why we have an entire Bureau full of competent and capable people who work on these things.

The White House cannot summarily shut down the investigation, as Nixon tried to do, that would be an executive power grab.

Except Spicer and his deputies said yesterday that the time for the investigation has come to an end after Comey's firing.

Linkark07

Banned

New FBI director (read: Trump plant) will either kill investigations outright or miraculously find nothing incriminating.

What about impeaching him if Dems take back the House and Senate in the Midterms? And I mean, an overwhelming majority of Dems taking those seats from Republicans.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So Trump is president of USA soccer. It looks like the USA is going to win their group stage at the World Cup and get a favourable draw. Then, coach Comey pulls Clinton in the 80th minute with a lead in a tight game. Everyone panics, and the USA blows the game but limps out of the group stage and with an unfavourable draw against Russia in the round-of-16. Now people are saying Comey can't ever be trusted to lead USA soccer entering a World Cup tourney.

Now the USA is facing Russia. It's a back and forth game but the USA under Comey is performing adequately. Then Trump, as president of USA soccer, visits the locker-room at the half and fires Comey.

Everyone freaks out, "what the hell are you doing?"

"Hey," Trump says, "I thought you guys wanted Comey gone, jeeze, make up your minds!"

digdug2k

Comey isn't some rogue PI who's personally digging up dirt on the nasty man in the White House. As director of the FBI, he was responsible for managing the people who managed multiple ongoing investigations. The investigation into Russia isn't going to sputter and falter because the director was fired. That is why we have an entire Bureau full of competent and capable people who work on these things.

The White House cannot summarily shut down the investigation, as Nixon tried to do, that would be an executive power grab.
Literally no alone is saying what you're saying. If you think whoever trump puts in charge of the FBI after Comey is going to continue a serious investigation into this though, you're laughably dumb and probably deplorable.

Maxim726X

This Congress won't impeach him.

Unless the press uncovers the pee pee tape, he's safe. How much more do you need to see?

What about impeaching him if Dems take back the House and Senate in the Midterms? And I mean, an overwhelming majority of Dems taking those seats from Republicans.

Senate is out of reach... They'll be happy if they don't *lose* more seats.

House is in play, but it's not enough.

jaxpunk

So Trump is president of USA soccer. It looks like the USA is going to win their group stage at the World Cup and get a favourable draw. Then, coach Comey pulls Clinton in the 80th minute with a lead in a tight game. Everyone panics, and the USA blows the game but limps out of the group stage and with an unfavourable draw against Russia in the round-of-16. Now people are saying Comey can't ever be trusted to lead USA soccer entering a World Cup tourney.

Now the USA is facing Russia. It's a back and forth game but the USA under Comey is performing adequately. Then Trump, as president of USA soccer, visits the locker-room at the half and fires Comey.

Everyone freaks out, "what the hell are you doing?"

"Hey," Trump says, "I thought you guys wanted Comey gone, jeeze, make up your minds!"

This scenario would work great outside of the USA. But no one gives a shit about soccer here.

Effect

To be clear. No one in the media or press outside of fox news is believing the Clinton angle Trump is trying to push right?

Tovarisc

AJqglb6.png

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/862306259055382528

marrec

Banned
Literally no alone is saying what you're saying. If you think whoever trump puts in charge of the FBI after Comey is going to continue a serious investigation into this though, you're laughably dumb and probably deplorable.

Depends on who they suggest.

I'm sure people thought Comey's motives were suspect after his October dump on Hillary. Also, classy use of "deplorable" there :lol

Except Spicer and his deputies said yesterday that the time for the investigation has come to an end after Comey's firing.

Yes, the President can't shut down the investigation but Spicer, he's the man who can.

digdug2k

The press will keep digging and people will keep leaking stuff. I don't think it's dead, just going to take even longer. I hope Comey fucking handed all their Intel over to the rest of the ic last week.

WedgeX

Banned

I'm sure people thought Comey's motives were suspect after his October dump on Hillary. Also, classy use of "deplorable" there :lol

Yes, the President can't shut down the investigation but Spicer, he's the man who can.

Iv0mVJy.gif

Would you prefer 'highly, highly unlikely'?

Might as well just give up now, what's the point, nothing good will ever happen again

The press will keep digging and people will keep leaking stuff. I don't think it's dead, just going to take even longer. I hope Comey fucking handed all their Intel over to the rest of the ic last week.

It was always going to take awhile. It's a LOOONNNGGG process with many components to bring down a president.

digdug2k

Spicer IS literally the president's mouthpiece. That's his fucking job. There's no reason to give Trump the benefit of the doubt anymore. There hasn't been since day one of his admin. He's a walking talking piece of shit.

marrec

Banned
I believe I did mention vote him out in 2020?

Grow up. It's reality. Not my problem if you don't like it.

Also democrats, for once, vote during Midterms.

Even after all this that seems highly unlikely however.

Spicer IS literally the president's mouthpiece. That's his fucking job. There's no reason to give Trump the benefit of the doubt anymore. There hasn't been since day one of his admin. He's a walking talking piece of shit.

It doesn't matter who his mouthpiece is, he cannot shut down the investigation.

Blader

Democrats held majorities in both the House and Senate during Nixon's final Congress. And today's Republicans have no reason to do the right thing. Hell, Republicans back then only suggested to Nixon that he resign solely to avoid impeachment.

Luschient

If Comey were sitting on some concrete evidence that would really screw Trump, surely firing him and pissing him off would be a bad thing to do right? None of this really makes sense.

Be great if Comey just did a livestream on Youtube today and just spilled his guts.

RaidenZR

I fucking can't keep up today. I thought I was good for maybe 6 hours after going to bed at 2 AM, but Trump's twitter rampage and the rest of the collective country is going apeshit. Holy fuck.

Trump must be going crazy too, so many tweets this morning about news and people of speaking out against him... He has to be shouting at the TV non-stop at this point.

What? Spicer and other Trump admin officials are simply parroting what they have been told to say from Trump. So yeah, Spicer saying such things indicates that teh goal of this is to shut it down.

Obviously Spicer literally does not have the authority to shut anything down.

Sephzilla

If Comey did anticipate Trump firing him there's likely contingency plans in place for all of the information that the FBI dug up on Trump. This is far from over and I doubt some Trump stooge is going to be able to actually shut down the investigation or the potential leaks.

Maxim726X

Also democrats, for once, vote during Midterms.

Even after all this that seems highly unlikely however.

I think we will this time.

And retaking the House is important, but look at the map- It's a pipe dream to think that the Dems could retake the Senate.

marrec

Banned
What? Spicer and other Trump admin officials are simply parroting what they have been told to say from Trump. So yeah, Spicer saying such things indicates that teh goal of this is to shut it down.

Obviously Spicer literally does not have the authority to shut anything down.

Of course the goal is to shut it down, where did I say Trump didn't want to shut it down?

RaidenZR

Gaddamn! Hope Keith doesn't get in trouble for this.

I liked Keith but I feel like he's become the left's version of Alex Jones. Not AS batshit crazy, but his tone and message are often taken to a level where you can't take the substance as seriously as you want.

That said, I feel his outrage today.

cakely

The president didn't think that firing the head of the FBI during an ongoing investigation of his own election campaign wouldn't have any consequences. We knew he was genuinely unintelligent, but this is past the point of being plausible.

The first thing anyone thinks of when they hear about Comey's firing is "Nixon".

No one on his entire staff saw this blowback coming?

I simply can't believe it.

marrec

Banned
You're being obtuse focusing on Spicer literally shutting it down. You know very well what other posters are meaning here.

I said "The President cannot summarily shut down the investigation" and someone responded by saying "But Spicer said they should!"

Okay, but the President cannot summarily shut down the investigation. That remains true.

Not sure why you think you're in a good position to joke about it.

Sorry I'm not losing my mind over this and so no longer am pure in my liberalism :(

Machina

Banned
The president didn't think that firing the head of the FBI during an ongoing investigation of his own election campaign wouldn't have any consequences. We knew he was genuinely unintelligent, but this is past the point of being plausible.

The first thing anyone thinks of when they hear about Comey's firing is "Nixon".

No one on his entire staff saw this blowback coming?

I simply can't believe it.

They did, but as with all things Trump, they think themselves untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom