• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

How many more R do we need to say we need an independent investigation for it to actually pass?

The Attorney General (or possibly Deputy Attorney General in this case, given that Sessions is "recused") appoints a special prosecutor. Congress could pass a new law giving them the power to appoint a special prosecutor again, but that'd require veto-proof majorities since Trump would certainly never sign that into law.

At least McCain is on of the few republicans putting up a front against the firing of Comey.

Do you think thats all Trump knows? I mean Comey was also part of the IRS scandal coverup. Only a idiot would believe congress conclusion that IRS targetted the tea party because a few employees didnt like them

Megatron

I said "The President cannot summarily shut down the investigation" and someone responded by saying "But Spicer said they should!"

Okay, but the President cannot summarily shut down the investigation. That remains true.

(

You're talking about the FBI investigation? Maybe Trump can't officially shut down the investigation, but if he can fire the guy who's investigating him and replace him with whomever he chooses, what's the difference?

In the Kevin Liptak article on CNN he's saying that the Whitehouse wants the FBI to stop prioritizing the Russia Election rigging and instead investigate who in the whitehouse is leaking things to the media.

One Justice official suggested there could be more changes coming at the FBI beyond Comey's removal.

"There is a lot of cleaning house that needs to be done," one official said.

Dark fucking days right now.

I would personally celebrate Trump's impeachment if it ever happened, but I think the reason he hasn't been isn't because 80% of Republicans still approve of him.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that there's no concrete evidence the man is guilty of "treason, bribery, and other high crimes and misdemeanors." Not yet anyway

He wouldn't have to be impeached for that. He could easily be impeached for his vast conflicts of interest that he's used to line his own pockets. He'll, a very easy case could be made that he's simply unfit to service. He can be impeached for basically anything

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
McCain is the very definition of a paper tiger. Guy acts tough, talks big and seems like his own man, but when it's time to vote or actually take action the dude just crumbles and toes the line.

digdug2k

yea the key witness in a murder trial gets found dead somewhere. The precious optics on that are fantastic.

you don't think it looks bad for Trump to fire the person investigating him? Historical precedent alone says its a fucking terrible look RE Nixon and Watergate.

@marrec i agree everyone needs to not lose their minds. But this is a big deal.
Heh. I have no doubt that there is a room somewhere in the white house where Trump used that wee brain he has to think about whether or not having Commey assassinated would look worse than just firing him.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So while this is obviously a move by Trump to hide his Russian ties, what are the downsides to him doing this?

It obviously looks bad, but isn't it nonetheless still very effective at stopping investigations into him?

Hari Seldon

The Attorney General (or possibly Deputy Attorney General in this case, given that Sessions is "recused") appoints a special prosecutor. Congress could pass a new law giving them the power to appoint a special prosecutor again, but that'd require veto-proof majorities since Trump would certainly never sign that into law.

I always thought that the Senate had special investigatory powers over the legislative branch. Is that not true?

Tahnit

Banned

It would have to be the deputy. But they can not just pick someone random right? It's from a list of investigators?

Xtyle

I watched last night and had to turn it off when Hannity came on.
I totally understand there's going to be bias and editorializing across the talking heads segments, but Hannity last night was just...gross. Purely disingenuous, completely misrepresenting previous clips wrt Comey and how the Dems have flip-flopped, "you won't see this anywhere else, folks". Just nauseating.

Their argument and reasoning just looks completely idiotic and I can't believe so many people watch and be influenced by this trash.

zelas

What about impeaching him if Dems take back the House and Senate in the Midterms? And I mean, an overwhelming majority of Dems taking those seats from Republicans.
Impeach = indict. Which then only leads to the Senate having a trial and needing a 2/3 supermajority to actually remove Trump IF they even find grounds for it. There are 24 Dem seats and 8 republican seats up in 2018, Dems could run the table and they still wouldn't have the votes. So unless Trump's heart is stolen, he aint going anywhere until 2020.

Elections matter, not emails.

RPGCrazied

Stephen King‏Verified account
@StephenKing

Donald Trump: A remarkable combination of unhinged and dumb as dirt. Time to start talking impeachment. Really. Enough is enough.

Not a big fan of his books, but I like this guy.

You're talking about the FBI investigation? Maybe Trump can't officially shut down the investigation, but if he can fire the guy who's investigating him and replace him with whomever he chooses, what's the difference?

In the Kevin Liptak article on CNN he's saying that the Whitehouse wants the FBI to stop prioritizing the Russia Election rigging and instead investigate who in the whitehouse is leaking things to the media.

Dark fucking days right now.

Lol I can see the interviews now.

'Did you work on the Russian investigation?'
'Yes'
'Okay you're fired'

jelly

How do Republicans get out of it when Trump is found out to be guilty along with his family and friends. What is their excuse then?

I said "The President cannot summarily shut down the investigation" and someone responded by saying "But Spicer said they should!"

Okay, but the President cannot summarily shut down the investigation. That remains true.

Sorry I'm not losing my mind over this and so no longer am pure in my liberalism :(

Trump: "Congratulations on the promotion, New FBI Director!"
New FBI Director: "Thanks, but this investigation must continue."
donald-585x400.jpg

Trump: "Congratulations on the promotion, NEW New FBI Director!"
NEW New FBI Director: "Thanks... I think I'm going to drop the investigation?"
Trump: "That's good work. The best work. It's fantastic."

I'm sure he'll do something about it right after his hourly diaper change.

He's a feckless old nobody at this point. Hope he's gone soon.

Pretty sure he's said this is his last term, which makes it even worse since he has no reason to play nice outside being a bitch for the GOP

marrec

Banned
Trump: "Congratulations on the promotion, New FBI Director!"
New FBI Director: "Thanks, but this investigation must continue."
donald-585x400.jpg

Trump: "Congratulations on the promotion, NEW New FBI Director!"
NEW New FBI Director: "Thanks... I think I'm going to drop the investigation?"
Trump: "That's good work. The best work. It's fantastic."

Do you know how the confirmation process of an FBI director works?

I am fascinated by the idea that Trump thought this would be a bi-partisan win, what a fucking idiot.

I am trying to figure out how he honestly thought that... Its like he is willfully not paying attention to the political landscape around him. It boggles my mind that he can be so detached from reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom