• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

Na_ytto_kuva_2017-05-10_kello_18.20.31.png

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/862325489041645568

Fucking unbelievable. Kremlin state press given access, but not the US press. No fucks given.

rec0ded1

Pence just repeating "lost confidence of American people" over and over . Did they take a poll? I know it's typical political BS but it really grinds my gears.

TarNaru33

Banned
Article 2: Section 4

"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High crimes and Misdemeanors."

The constitution clearly defines Treason, but not the others: Bribery, or other High crimes and Misdemeanors. Those can be argued over sure, but lets look at precedent.

Two Presidents have been impeached:

Andrew Johnson: He defied the Tenure of Office Act
Bill Clinton: Committed Perjury

There is not a substantial enough case yet to bring impeachment against President Trump. I get that there are a lot of questions about Trump's finances. And I hope to god the emoluments civil case headed by Zephyr Teachout succeeds, but It would be unprecedented if the House brought impeachment charges against Trump now for vague "conflict of interest" reasons, and it would FAIL.

This is incorrect, the only reason it would fail is because of who has the power.

Vectorman

Banned
That has to be something, ANYTHING we can do about all this. I'm tired of just calling people and telling them to vote No on this or Yes on that. There has to be something more.
People would say there is but that resorts to something a bit more aggressive in terms of getting out to vote and I'm not sure this country is ready to go down this route. Ugh I can't believe it coming to this.

Article 2: Section 4

"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High crimes and Misdemeanors."

The constitution clearly defines Treason, but not the others: Bribery, or other High crimes and Misdemeanors. Those can be argued over sure, but lets look at precedent.

Two Presidents have been impeached:

Andrew Johnson: He defied the Tenure of Office Act
Bill Clinton: Committed Perjury

There is not a substantial enough case yet to bring impeachment against President Trump. I get that there are a lot of questions about Trump's finances. And I hope to god the emoluments civil case headed by Zephyr Teachout succeeds, but It would be unprecedented if the House brought impeachment charges against Trump now for vague "conflict of interest" reasons, and it would FAIL.
I'd say publicly asking for Russia to hack Hillary's email falls under the treason category, but it seems like there is some kind of lower standard for Trump, like he can get away with way more than anyone.

Mael

Check & Balances they said.
Chances are unless next year is a bloodbath this thing is deader than a cancer recovery patient for a healthcare insurance under Trumpcare.

I'd say publicly asking for Russia to hack Hillary's email falls under the treason category, but it seems like there is some kind of lower standard for Trump, like he can get away with way more than anyone.

The only reason he gets away with it is because the GOP refuse to do anything about it.

Take them away and he would be in jail.

jelly

I really believe the entire GOP is in with this. The way they are acting shows it. This is an entire attempt at a takeover.

I don't think so, they just like money and patriotism, religion when it makes them money. When their money is at risk, they'll change.

That has to be something, ANYTHING we can do about all this. I'm tired of just calling people and telling them to vote No on this or Yes on that. There has to be something more.

elect better congressional representatives next time. us politics requires people to make responsible choices they're stuck with for several years

you can't even recall them
gg no re

Maxim726X

A few months ago, the prospects were dim (mostly due to which seats were coming up for reelection). But now? Pretty decent shot, I think.

Not decent at all, unless you're referring to the House.

The Senate map is dire, to put it lightly:

2018_Senate_Map.png

You see many of those red flipping blue? Because I don't.

Mael

I don't think so, they just like money and patriotism, religion when it makes them money. When their money is at risk, they'll change.

Will they though?
GOP never fully went against Trump, even when they did manage to lamely criticize him they still backed him up and went crawling back like molasses.
There's no indication that anyone on the GOP is better than Ted Cruz.

WedgeX

Banned
The Post:

Greg Sargent of the Washington Post said:
President Trump’s Tuesday Night Massacre — his firing of FBI director James Comey — was such a brazen power play in the context of the FBI’s ongoing Russia probe that even some Republicans are troubled by it. While many Democrats are now calling for a special prosecutor to handle the Russia affair, a handful of Republican senators are also suggesting the timing of the firing was suspect; that the firing raises questions about whether further political interference will compromise the FBI’s investigation; or that an independent investigative mechanism must now take over.

These questions about the future integrity of the Russia probe are all serious and legitimate. But if those Republicans are truly as alarmed as their rhetoric suggests, there are concrete things they can do in the Senate right now that could help compel either a full accounting of the Comey firing, or an independent Russia probe, or both. And Democrats, too, can ratchet up the tactics in a big way to try to force GOP leaders to relent on both of these fronts.

Let’s first dispense with two absurd arguments about this mess. The White House says Trump acted quickly on the recommendation of Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein, whose explanatory letter faulted Comey for, among other things, holding a news conference to criticize Hillary Clinton while recommending against charges. But the Wall Street Journal reports that the White House was furious with Comey because he refused to tamp down talk of possible collusion between Russian election meddling and the Trump campaign, which the FBI is investigating. What’s more, Trump himself seized on Comey’s July criticism of Clinton to argue she was unfit to be president. Now that criticism is a problem? Yeah, right.

What the Senate can do:

Wittes suggested several ideas to me. He noted that, with all Democrats and a handful of Republicans upset about the Comey firing, there are enough senators “to create a blocking majority for the next FBI director,” who must be confirmed. This blocking majority, Wittes said, could theoretically condition its support for nominees to that post, insisting that the Justice Department produce a fuller accounting of the recommendation into the Comey firing or that the department appoint a special prosecutor on the Russia probe.

Alternatively, Wittes noted, individual senators — in either party, but especially in the majority — can employ other tactics to force the issue. They could try to oppose funding for various other Justice Department priorities or block other nominations to the department. “I would not give that cooperation until the Justice Department names a special prosecutor,” Wittes said.

Finally, Democrats — with or without a handful of Republican allies, but preferably with them — can basically try to grind the Senate to a halt, by refusing cooperation on any legislation or nominations or anything, until GOP leaders and/or the White House agree to some form of independent investigation. “Every time they’re asked to cooperate on something, this needs to be front and center,” Wittes says. “They needs to be focused like a laser beam on that every time they’re asked to give unanimous consent.”

jelly

I wonder if you had any brains, staying away from Trump and his presidency would be most ideal unless you're Russia or someone like that. You would be making deals with a traitor. If the UK still lays out the red carpet for Trump, what an embarrassment.

Goodstyle

I felt this way a bit during the election mixups. He was fucking dumb about how he handled that. He cost Hillary the election. But the guy isn't an awful FBI director. People are just being dumb now.

This isn't me being partisan, he is actually a terrible FBI director that should have been fired a while ago. He's deeply narcissistic and tends to make the job about himself, this article breaks it down well.

Comey deserved to be fired. The outrage should be reserved for if Trump replaces him with one of his cronies.

KHarvey16

This isn't me being partisan, he is actually a terrible FBI director that should have been fired a while ago. He's deeply narcissistic and tends to make the job about himself, this article breaks it down well.

Comey deserved to be fired. The outrage should be reserved for if Trump replaces him with one of his cronies.

He was obviously not fired for any of the reasons stated in those letters. Saying this is deserved is entirely missing the point. You're allowing yourself to be manipulated.

Not decent at all, unless you're referring to the House.

The Senate map is dire, to put it lightly:

2018_Senate_Map.png

You see many of those red flipping blue? Because I don't.

Yeah, just referring to the House. It would take a miracle to take the Senate.

It is going to happen (in the House).

I'm hopeful as well. But I'm slightly worried that we're at peak-negative Trump too early. Hopefully it can maintain (or even grow).

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/comey-russia-investigation-fbi.html

Days Before He Was Fired, Comey Asked for Money for Russia Investigation

WASHINGTON — Days before he was fired, James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, asked the Justice Department for a significant increase in money and personnel for the bureau’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the presidential election, according to three officials with knowledge of his request.

Mr. Comey asked for the resources during a meeting last week with Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who wrote the Justice Department’s memo that was used to justify the firing of the F.B.I. director this week.

Mr. Comey then briefed members of Congress on the meeting in recent days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom