• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

What do your family members thinks now after voting for Trump? We all have that somebody. I'm sure still drinking the Trump kool aid.

WedgeX

Banned
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/comey-russia-investigation-fbi.html

Days Before He Was Fired, Comey Asked for Money for Russia Investigation

WASHINGTON — Days before he was fired, James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, asked the Justice Department for a significant increase in money and personnel for the bureau’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the presidential election, according to three officials with knowledge of his request.

Mr. Comey asked for the resources during a meeting last week with Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who wrote the Justice Department’s memo that was used to justify the firing of the F.B.I. director this week.

Mr. Comey then briefed members of Congress on the meeting in recent days.

Well, damn.

Maxim726X

Na_ytto_kuva_2017-05-10_kello_18.38.46.png

https://twitter.com/amyfiscus/status/862330526052515842
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/comey-russia-investigation-fbi.html?smid=tw-share

Haha. Wow.

It's all up to the press now. They're our last hope.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/comey-russia-investigation-fbi.html

Days Before He Was Fired, Comey Asked for Money for Russia Investigation

WASHINGTON — Days before he was fired, James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, asked the Justice Department for a significant increase in money and personnel for the bureau’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the presidential election, according to three officials with knowledge of his request.

Mr. Comey asked for the resources during a meeting last week with Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who wrote the Justice Department’s memo that was used to justify the firing of the F.B.I. director this week.

Mr. Comey then briefed members of Congress on the meeting in recent days.

And Boom Goes the Dynamite...

Not decent at all, unless you're referring to the House.

The Senate map is dire, to put it lightly:

2018_Senate_Map.png

You see many of those red flipping blue? Because I don't.

Nevada. And...that's probably it.

Meanwhile, I'd be worried about 3 or 4 other blue states with a chance of flipping to red. Dire indeed.

And seriously, WTF? Closed-door meeting with Russians the day after? This is surreal.

Tall4Life

What do your family members thinks now after voting for Trump? We all have that somebody. I'm sure still drinking the Trump kool aid.
I'll see them at the end of the week but they're probably in full support

They've drunk the kool aid and regurgitated it just so they can drink it again

Lo-Volt

How does this work? Why wouldnt the new director have control over that?

If a grand jury has already been empaneled, regardless of which court system, this is really up to the prosecutor's office of the jurisdiction in question, right?

That implies that a prosecutor has already supplied evidence during a request for a bill of indictment, fielded questions on it, and got the bill of indictment from said jury. So it would be too late for an FBI director to roll that back. There's already evidence, it got reviewed, and someone's getting prosecuted.

Can the Dems win back majority in Congress in 2018? That seems to be the only hope.

7 months ago I would have said definitely not. The electoral map for 2018 was a more difficult climb for Democrats than Republicans, where more Democrats in Pro-Trump states were up for election than Republicans in the Senate.

In the House, Republicans have a 45-seat lead and Democrats have not done that well in a congressional election in over 40 years, since 1974 in the fallout of Watergate.

As much as this is reminiscent of a Nixonian White House and Watergate, right now, it's not Watergate and it's not Nixon. There have only been two other swings of 45+ seats twice in 50 years... Both of them were Republican swings (54 seats Newt Gingrich's "Republican Revolution" in 1994, 63 seats in 2010 in the Tea Party Sweep).

Not decent at all, unless you're referring to the House.

The Senate map is dire, to put it lightly:

2018_Senate_Map.png

You see many of those red flipping blue? Because I don't.

Let's flip Texas. We have 3 of the top 10 most populated cities, and #11 is Austin. They are all left leaning cities.

Bexar County = San Antonio
Dallas County = Dallas
Harris County = Houston
Travis County = Austin

rLXxPa5_d.jpg

Ithil

7 months ago I would have said definitely not. The electoral map for 2018 was a more difficult climb for Democrats than Republicans, where more Democrats in Pro-Trump states were up for election than Republicans in the Senate.

In the House, Republicans have a 45-seat lead and Democrats have not done that well in a congressional election in over 40 years, since 1974 in the fallout of Watergate.

As much as this is reminiscent of a Nixonian White House and Watergate, right now, it's not Watergate and it's not Nixon. There have only been two other swings of 45+ seats twice in 50 years... Both of them were Republican swings (54 seats Newt Gingrich's "Republican Revolution" in 1994, 63 seats in 2010 in the Tea Party Sweep).

You don't have to swing 45 seats, remember when you win a seat, the other party loses one. 25 seats would get them the majority in the house.

Tall4Life

Literally the only thing all the Dem house candidates have to put in their ads is that your old representative voted and wanted to kill you, your family, and your loved ones with the AHCA. Repeat that ad nauseum. It's not that hard.

Maxim726X

Literally the only thing all the Dem house candidates have to put in their ads is that your old representative voted and wanted to kill you, your family, and your loved ones with the AHCA. Repeat that ad nauseum. It's not that hard.

Ah but this is the Democratic party.

KingV

Comey isn't some rogue PI who's personally digging up dirt on the nasty man in the White House. As director of the FBI, he was responsible for managing the people who managed multiple ongoing investigations. The investigation into Russia isn't going to sputter and falter because the director was fired. That is why we have an entire Bureau full of competent and capable people who work on these things.

The White House cannot summarily shut down the investigation, as Nixon tried to do, that would be an executive power grab.

Are you saying it's not going to work or that he is not trying to shutdown the investigation?

The latter is cause enough to be upset and public outrage is probably the only thing that makes it unlikely that this will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom