• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossposting from Poligaf

8enh86Q.jpg

Article 2: Section 4

"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High crimes and Misdemeanors."

The constitution clearly defines Treason, but not the others: Bribery, or other High crimes and Misdemeanors. Those can be argued over sure, but lets look at precedent.

Two Presidents have been impeached:

Andrew Johnson: He defied the Tenure of Office Act
Bill Clinton: Committed Perjury

There is not a substantial enough case yet to bring impeachment against President Trump. I get that there are a lot of questions about Trump's finances. And I hope to god the emoluments civil case headed by Zephyr Teachout succeeds, but It would be unprecedented if the House brought impeachment charges against Trump now for vague "conflict of interest" reasons, and it would FAIL.

There is, but I'm not going to keep arguing with you about it

digdug2k

I'll be honest, I won't start panicking until Trump appoints a lackey in Comey's place. Comey himself desperately needed firing, he was an awful fucking FBI director, anyone could see that.
I felt this way a bit during the election mixups. He was fucking dumb about how he handled that. He cost Hillary the election. But the guy isn't an awful FBI director. People are just being dumb now.

Tahnit

Banned
I really believe the entire GOP is in with this. The way they are acting shows it. This is an entire attempt at a takeover.

Pence is now saying it was all the Deputy AG's decision.

Trump "made the right decision at the right time."

He apparently thinks we're all very stupid.

looks like Trump may have to get Graham back on board by promising to feed the fresh blood of American teenagers to the beautiful sands of the Maranjab

a stern stare towards McCain should do the trick

Yeah I mean Dems get shafted all the time. In Ohio in 2012 Republicans won over 75% of the seats while only getting 55% of the vote thanks to gerrymandering. So even if Dems lose the state overall but its a close loss, due to gerrymandering its a republican landslide.

But peaceful marching and protesting will save us.

Come to think of it, didn't Yates pull out of her originally scheduled Senate hearing too? So, the Comey thing may not be as big a deal as it seems, but still...

Maxim726X

I'd honestly be surprised if the testimony continued undisrupted. Doesn'f mean the investigation is dead.

That remains to be seen.

If Comey didn't have a contingency plan for his inevitable dismissal, there's cause for concern.

Most (myself included) seem to be of the opinion that he had to know he was flying too close to the sun.

Chococat

Come to think of it, didn't Yates pull out of her originally scheduled Senate hearing too? So, the Comey thing may not be as big a deal as it seems, but still...

Yates had to pull out of the House one because of the Trump/Nunez distraction.

The firing of Comey is Trump trying to derail the Senate investigation too. That is absolutely why Comey should appear tomorrow- to not let Trump win by trickery again.

jelly

I don't like this, not one bit.

I don't think he would say anything of interest that he could divulge. It would just be never ending questions of why did he fire you, was it the investigation, I can't comment on an ongoing investigation. I think like Obama and Hilary, sit back and let the IC do their work, do be a distraction, put it back on Trump.

That has to be something, ANYTHING we can do about all this. I'm tired of just calling people and telling them to vote No on this or Yes on that. There has to be something more.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just called my Senators.
One I got an actual guy, the other was a voicemail. No surprise the voicemail one is a Republican.

I don't think he would say anything of interest that he could divulge. It would just be never ending questions of why did he fire you, was it the investigation, I can't comment on an ongoing investigation. I think like Obama and Hilary, sit back and let the IC do their work, do be a distraction, put it back on Trump.

But people in this thread keep telling me it's over. Finished. Dead.

Wait 3 1/2 years and vote like a madman.

How the hell do you guys always forget the midterms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom