• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Foundation ordered to stop fundraising by N.Y. attorney general’s office

Status
Not open for further replies.
what chance does this have to bring anything to light before election day?

i know it says they have 15 days to file, but then they would have to actually pour over the results. and thats if they arent granted an extension.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
No. Trump's charity is founded as a personal foundation, not a public foundation (to make up some terms). It was created using laws that assume he will be the sole donator. This has major legal distinctions, the most important being that personal foundations have no requirement to submit independent financial audits, and so Trump has never done so.

If Trump has had independent auditing, he has certainly never submitted it to New York State as required by law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...8-11e6-ac72-a29979381495_story.html?tid=a_inl

I think he's saying it's almost a lock that Trump has not had independent auditing completed.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This. What happens then? You can only vote Hillary or what? lol

Most probably think that Pence would just take over the ticket, not at all sure how viable/legal that is though, but honestly they should postpone the election and reconvene the RNC to nominate a new candidate if something like that were to happen. Not really sure how that would even work though with how states vary in requirements and deadlines for being on the ballot and what exceptions/exemptions they may have in place.

I mean somewhere there has to be some kind of contingency plan or clause for if a candidate dies or drops out. It hasn't ever happened before, but people do die all the time, so someone has to have at least thought up what they would do in that event, which would be no different from a candidate dropping out or being arrested.

pigeon

Banned
Most probably think that Pence would just take over the ticket, not at all sure how viable/legal that is though, but honestly they should postpone the election and reconvene the RNC to nominate a new candidate if something like that were to happen. Not really sure how that would even work though with how states vary in requirements and deadlines for being on the ballot and what exceptions/exemptions they may have in place.

I mean somewhere there has to be some kind of contingency plan or clause for if a candidate dies or drops out. It hasn't ever happened before, but people do die all the time, so someone has to have at least thought up what they would do in that event, which would be no different from a candidate dropping out or being arrested.

There is a clause that allows the GOP to nominate a replacement candidate in the event of death or incapacity of the current nominee.

However, there is no law that says somebody charged with a crime -- or even convicted and serving time -- can't be elected president of the United States.
WHICH IS IMPORTANT FOR HILLARY

They would have to meet and officially decide that being charged with a felony makes you incapable, and then go through the work to replace him.

Trouble

Banned
Can you imagine the average Trump devotee right now? The mental contortions must be unprecedented.

If you go to r/the_donald (seriously, don't) they are so wrapped up in their bubble that they are absolutely positive that Trump is going to win in a huge landslide.

See, any reasonable organization has these financial records already filed. They are supposed to have these ready.

Well yeah, Trump's organization is clearly not legit and he deserves to get nailed for this. I'm just thinking it would be easy enough to find a sympathetic judge to say "15 days is an absurd time frame for such a request" and grant a stay. I don't know how the law actually works in regard to the courts stepping in over a request from the attorney general.

Also, what is the statute of limitations on this stuff? Every non-profit I've worked for has a records retention policy of keeping physical records for seven years and then destroying them, but they were all legit charities that submitted to an annual audit with an independent agency. Can they actually request records going back 15 years?

Garlador

Can you imagine the average Trump devotee right now? The mental contortions must be unprecedented.

head-in-the-sand.jpg
plugging-ears.jpg
Planet+of+the+Apes+1968+Hear+No+Evil+See+No+Evil+Speak+No+Evil+Three+Wise+Monkeys+3+Body+Language+Nonverbal+Communication+Body+Language+Expert+Speaker+Expert+Speaker+Las+Vegas.jpg
Take your pick.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Can you IMAGINE what the conspiracy theorists would say about Emperor King Obama if such a thing were to come to pass? It would be absolutely crazy to see.

I'd like to think Trump is somehow, for some fucked up reason (he lost a bet, owes some big shit, or something), was forced to run for office and he is desperatedly trying to get out, but stupid people still support him. Or maybe he's just a dumb evil guy.

Also, as someone who's done coke and has hanged around people who do, he did seem coked up in the debate. There were just too many familiar hints.

_Ryo_

Don't forget guys, just one more day until it's "OVER" for Clinton.

But don't worry about Trump, this stuff he's doing is good for business. It's smart. :)

Don't forget guys, just more day until it's "OVER" for Clinton.

But don't worry about Trump, this stuff he's doing is good for business. It's smart. :)

Trump is a genius for using the Trump Foundation and Trump U for swindling unsuspecting fools.

It's too late to change the ticket on the ballots.

News Reporter: DONALD TRUMP WINS!

First President to win from Prison.

Let's go live to Trump at Rikers.

Trump: I just want to thank all of my supporters who knew I could win this clearly rigged election. Just tremendous support against Crooked Hillary.

I also want to thank Tito for his superb toilet wine, simply astounding. I'm going to get it bottled and sell it. Premium stuff. Really helped me focus on the issues with this county like Rosie O'Donnell and libel laws that let all those newspapers say such terrible things about me.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to start bringing all the jobs back from Mexico, like the Drug trade. I know El Capitan sounds like a fierce druglord but I've befriended his son in here and I think I can work out some franchising opportunities that could make thousands of jobs in this country

It's never too late

This is HUGE.

NY AG, Eric Schneiderman, just shot himself in the foot. Not that he was ever a good shot, he's a pretty terrible AG from what I hear. Unlike my good friend Florida AG Pam Bondi.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert, really the best expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in CHINA where you can become successful by being an asshole. Trust me, I have a great temperment. That's why I'm worth 15 BILLION dollars. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to visit NYC, nor will they purchase any of NYC's merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but NY AG has alienated an entire country with this move.

Eric Schneiderman, publicly apologize and rescind this order or you can kiss your job goodbye.

Stop it. Stop. I can't laugh this much at work. It's not okay.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't get it; this seems as it could have been avoided by a simple registration. Why didn't his lawyer do it before?

They'd have to submit an audit to the state each year detailing what money they took in and what they spent it on. He wouldn't have been able to settle lawsuits or buy big paintings of himself using that money if he had to submit an audit each year.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
In addition, Sheehan ordered that Trump’s foundation provide all the financial audit reports it should have provided in prior years, when it raised money without legal permission. He said that if Trump’s foundation did not stop its fundraising and file the proper paperwork, that would be considered “a continuing fraud upon the people of New York.”

Continuing fraud?

So they're characterising it as a fraud to date? Wow. This is going to be another bad week for Trump.

This. What happens then? You can only vote Hillary or what? lol

Well, if it ever actually happened that he went to prison, I don't think that means the ticket would have to change. You can run for President from prison. And, in fact, I'm not even sure if the Republican party has mechanisms in place to force a person to step down from the top of the ticket. But I doubt it'll go that far.

OMG Trump is Stringer Bell. he thought he could go legit but hes just a street thug who doesnt belong in the big leagues.

how did i never make this connection before?!!

Trump, where wallace at!?!?!!
But Stringer Bell took business classes at a community college. Did Trump? If I'm also not mistaken String made a profit, he just got tired of getting fucked paying for kickbacks and bribes. Trump is Levy.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Something tells me that after he loses the election, the scrutiny will continue (fanned unintentionally by himself).

Of course. It's why his kids raised the alarm a couple of weeks ago. I forget the exact statement but something to the effect of "leave the company out of this election" as it's also their source of income. And if the various businesses go down as shady they will be implicated as well. Trump himself has said they are great at running the businesses.

Trump's been doing this for years. AG and newspapers should have been investigating his ass way sooner, not a month or so before the elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom