• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Foundation ordered to stop fundraising by N.Y. attorney general’s office

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is HUGE.

NY AG, Eric Schneiderman, just shot himself in the foot. Not that he was ever a good shot, he's a pretty terrible AG from what I hear. Unlike my good friend Florida AG Pam Bondi.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert, really the best expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in CHINA where you can become successful by being an asshole. Trust me, I have a great temperment. That's why I'm worth 15 BILLION dollars. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to visit NYC, nor will they purchase any of NYC's merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but NY AG has alienated an entire country with this move.

Eric Schneiderman, publicly apologize and rescind this order or you can kiss your job goodbye.

10/10
slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
What really saddens me is how far this clown has been able to get thanks to his supporters, some of which I know personally. It boggles my mind, but not really.

jstripes

Banned
Trump's been doing this for years. AG and newspapers should have been investigating his ass way sooner, not a month or so before the elections.

His whole campaign has been a fine example the old glass houses / throw stones metaphor. No one had even thought of investigating his charitable foundation until he started shamelessly attacking the Clintons' charitable foundation.

I wonder what he's going to say when it's revealed his Foundation gave almost nothing to Charity.
"My charitable foundation never could have stayed in business if I was giving money to charitable causes. It's just smart business!"

mnannola

OMG Trump is Stringer Bell. he thought he could go legit but hes just a street thug who doesnt belong in the big leagues.

how did i never make this connection before?!!

Trump, where wallace at!?!?!!

Holy shit this is perfect. Who would Avon be? Putin? Bernie Madoff? Not sure.

This isn't a big deal at all by the way. And I'm no Trump supporter. The charity just failed to register. It's run by incompetent people for sure, but this isn't corruption or fraud.

This isn't a big deal at all by the way. And I'm no Trump supporter. The charity just failed to register. It's run by incompetent people for sure, but this isn't corruption or fraud.

Yes, no big deal. We should totally elect the guy with a proven history of regulatory incompetence to office.

A charity that has been running for years failed to register years ago, and that is now accused of taking money meant for charity to use for it's founder's personal gain. Nothing big at all.

Ithil

798280.jpg

Yes, they just plumb forgot about it.

The fact that not registering means they have not been audited as charities which are registered correctly are is irrelevant.

Steel

Banned

Coming amid reports that the charity was used to funnel money back to Trump businesses....

Jonogunn

This is proof the media are biased liberals and government agents in hillary's pocket.

They can try to take trump down but this will only make him a martyr to the people of America.

This is proof the media are biased liberals and government agents in hillary's pocket.

They can try to take trump down but this will only make him a martyr to the people of America.

Well, he'll be politically dead, so martyr isn't too inaccurate I guess.

Wait a minute. The foundation really only consists of 4 employees and no paper work filed?
How did they not see this sooner?

Oriel

The Justice Dept is likely (hopefully) preparing to indict his ass after the election. And to be quite honest how he's remained out of jail until now is truly baffling.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

So you're saying the AG of New York made this up?

m3k

lol you guys wernt kidding when you were saying 'i cant wait for october'

its the 4th and this guy is getting hammered with his history...

i wonder where guiliani is defending this shit? lol where is cruz? lol i bet he is fuckin livid he did not keep his mouth shut

MechaX

But he's a good businessman. The goodest business man, so good he'll make your head spin.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
lol you guys wernt kidding when you were saying 'i cant wait for october'

its the 4th and this guy is getting hammered with his history...

i wonder where guiliani is defending this shit? lol where is cruz? lol i bet he is fuckin livid he did not keep his mouth shut

It's the 3rd.

it's impressive how you can fragrantly disregard the law and nobody will do a thing to you.

Makes you wonder how many other billionaires play these scams too.

Peltz

It's really not that big of a deal. The foundation will have to fill out a form to fix this... it takes about an hour.

This is a common mistake foundations make and isn't fatal nor does it amount to any wrongdoing.

gaugebozo

His whole campaign has been a fine example the old glass houses / throw stones metaphor. No one had even thought of investigating his charitable foundation until he started shamelessly attacking the Clintons' charitable foundation.
Now his marriage. CHECK HIS MARRIAGE.

Blader

Soliciting money for a charity that isn't legally a charity is literally fraud. Never mind the fact that those charitable donations are allocated to Trump's personal expenses.

pigeon

Banned
It's really not that big of a deal. The foundation will have to fill out a form to fix this... it takes about an hour.

This is a common mistake foundations make and isn't fatal nor does it amount to any wrongdoing.

No matter how many times people post this it continues to be wrong.

KMS

He did fill out the paperwork but for a personal charity that he would be the sole contributor of so it falls under different laws and doesn't have to provide annual audits.

Peltz

No matter how many times people post this it continues to be wrong.

I mean... I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm a Hillary supporter and do not want to see Trump become president.

But really... it's not a big deal. There are other reasons for him not to be president. This isn't one of them, nor is it "major" news.

Ithil

I mean... I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm a Hillary supporter and do not want to see Trump become president.

But really... it's not a big deal. There are other reasons for him not to be president. This isn't one of them, nor is it "major" news.

You seem to have either missed or are ignoring this part

In addition, Sheehan ordered that Trump’s foundation provide all the financial audit reports it should have provided in prior years, when it raised money without legal permission. He said that if Trump’s foundation did not stop its fundraising and file the proper paperwork, that would be considered “a continuing fraud upon the people of New York.”

pigeon

Banned

As noted repeatedly in this thread, not being a public charity meant that Trump did not have to submit to independent audits. This does matter, since the Trump Foundation is currently being accused of shady dealings which may be illegal. Independent audits would have caught these potential issues, but they never occurred.

gcubed

Guys, it's just a form. Go to your local Kinko's, get it notarized, Bim bam Boom, all is forgiven.

Happens all the time.

Guys, it's just a form. Go to your local Kinko's, get it notarized, Bim bam Boom, all is forgiven.

Happens all the time.
It's not "just a form". Read the article.

In addition, Sheehan wrote, the Trump Foundation was ordered to supply the state with all the legal paperwork necessary to register as a charity that solicits money within 15 days.

Trump’s foundation must also look back and determine whether it violated state law in prior years by soliciting money without authorization, Sheehan wrote. If so, it must provide the financial audit reports it should have provided for those years. Those reports, Sheehan said, are also due within 15 days.

If Trump’s foundation does not comply, Sheehan wrote, it will be considered “a continuing fraud upon the people of New York.”

It truly is run by incompetent people. I mean Trump and his three eldest children spend a half hour each a week running it, so the incompetent part checks out. Rest of your statement on the other hand...

it's impressive how you can fragrantly disregard the law and nobody will do a thing to you.

Makes you wonder how many other billionaires play these scams too.

I believe the chant is "Lock Him Up!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom