• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Foundation ordered to stop fundraising by N.Y. attorney general’s office

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
It begins?

Yeah, I think you pulled out the most important parts here.

Trump doesn't just have to stop fundraising. The NY AG ordered him to file, within 15 days, independent financial audits for the current year and all previous years in which the foundation was in violation, and they clearly state that fraud charges or torts may result from a failure to comply.

They also provide some polite shade by spending a paragraph reminding the Trump Foundation that knowingly signing incorrect documents would be perjury and you "may be guilty of a crime under the New York Penal Code."

I'm not sure it would even be possible to do independent financial audits for like 15 years in 15 days! So this is a pretty aggressive order that clearly states that the NY AG is not particularly pleased.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
According to the Washington Post article, Trump's people have 15 days to supply the paperwork they didn't and all the audit info they missed over the years.

There's 35 days left until election day.

Trump doesn't just have to stop fundraising. The NY AG ordered him to file, within 15 days, independent financial audits for the current year and all previous years in which the foundation was in violation, and they clearly state that fraud charges or torts may result from a failure to comply.

They also provide some polite shade by spending a paragraph reminding the Trump Foundation that knowingly signing incorrect documents would be perjury and you "may be guilty of a crime under the New York Penal Code."

I'm not sure it would even be possible to do independent financial audits for like 15 years in 15 days! So this is a pretty aggressive order that clearly states that the NY AG is not particularly pleased.

It should also be noted, that if the AG's office pleases, they have the powers to aggressively go after any case of fraud that occurs within New York State.

WedgeX

Banned

I feel like most big charities would have an outside auditor look over their books each year.

But, this is Trump. So...

SpecX

q5D0Ba5.gif

Bwahahaha! Love this new version!

pigeon

Banned
Is this just an administration error? They are taking charity donations from NYers without proper certification that they are living in the state.

No. Trump's charity is founded as a personal foundation, not a public foundation (to make up some terms). It was created using laws that assume he will be the sole donator. This has major legal distinctions, the most important being that personal foundations have no requirement to submit independent financial audits, and so Trump has never done so.

I feel like most big charities would have an outside auditor look over their books each year.

But, this is Trump. So...

If Trump has had independent auditing, he has certainly never submitted it to New York State as required by law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...8-11e6-ac72-a29979381495_story.html?tid=a_inl

rjinaz

Trump, you had such a good system going.

Your ego just had to ruin it all by running for president.

I love it. His kids must secretly be fuming.

Illegally soliciting donations for a "charity" I founded to pay off my legal cases and maybe maybe if there is some money left help other people too is just good business.

The best business in fact.

- Things a presidential nominee in 2016 could say

Piecake

Is this just an administration error? They are taking charity donations from NYers without proper certification that they are living in the state.

His son's charity has the proper certification, so the Trump organization knew that that certification was necessary to ask for charitable donations. Saying this is an administration error seems like a huge stretch, and even if it is, that just goes to show how incompetent he is

lenovox1

It's a deliberate error. The Trump Foundation is taking donations from wealthy donors in large amounts without allowing NY state to audit the organization accordingly.

According to the Washington Post article, Trump's people have 15 days to supply the paperwork they didn't and all the audit info they missed over the years.

There's 35 days left until election day.

It should also be noted, that if the AG's office pleases, they have the powers to aggressively go after any case of fraud that occurs within New York State.

Simply delicious.

I guess that throws out another avenue for him to attack Hillary at the debates, yeah? Can't bring up emails because of taxes, can't bring up Clinton Foundation because his foundation was shut down.

Of course, if it's anything like last time he wouldn't have tried to bring up these points in the first place, and would have instead rambled about how we can all agree that fat people are ugly. At this point all he's gonna talk about is how he won all the online polls last time.

It's a deliberate error. The Trump Foundation is taking donations from wealthy donors in large amounts without allowing NY state to audit the organization accordingly.

Ok Thanks. So the foundation was setup deliberately as a personal charity to make it exempt from auditing, but in fact other people are contributing and therefore it needs to be audited.

Can't the Trump Foundation just request an extension from the court system? I'm no fan of Trump, but 15 days to go through 15 years of financial records strikes me as unreasonable, and I feel like it wouldn't be hard to find a judge who agreed with that assessment.

hoos30

Shame on the other GOP candidates for not smoking this stuff out earlier. What were they doing for a whole year?

Ponn

Banned
Why are people being mean to Trump? Creating a foundation for charity and then funneling those donations into your own pockets and paying off settlements is just being really smart. Don't hate the player, hate the game...of charity, or something.

rjinaz

I guess that throws out another avenue for him to attack Hillary at the debates, yeah? Can't bring up emails because of taxes, can't bring up Clinton Foundation because his foundation was shut down.

Of course, if it's anything like last time he wouldn't have tried to bring up these points in the first place, and would have instead rambled about how we can all agree that fat people are ugly. At this point all he's gonna talk about is how he won all the online polls last time.

Hurry up and get here Sunday. Tomorrow will be a nice appetizer sure, but it's just not going to satisfy like Sunday will.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can't the Trump Foundation just request an extension from the court system? I'm no fan of Trump, but 15 days to go through 15 years of financial records strikes me as unreasonable, and I feel like it wouldn't be hard to find a judge who agreed with that assessment.

He'll probably try, but the AG's office has some pretty broad powers when it comes to fighting fraud. So we'll see what happens.

David Fahrenthold effect

We need to just give this man a Pulitzer right now.

Henkka

Banned
Ok Thanks. So the foundation was setup deliberately as a personal charity to make it exempt from auditing, but in fact other people are contributing and therefore it needs to be audited.

Yeah, and it seems the people who are contributing to the foundation are people who owe money to Trump. Funneling the money through the foundation might be a way to avoid paying tax on it, from what I understand. The foundation has also used it's funds on less-than-charitable purchases, like portraits of Trump.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
This is the genius of Trump. This is why we need to elect him President, so he can fix these laws.

This election is certainly putting a microscope on Trump and his business practices. After it's over, why would anyone want to do business with him?
No American banks already want to do business with him. Only foreign ones are willing to loan him money It's why he is so chummy with the Russians.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, and it seems the people who are contributing to the foundation are people who owe money to Trump. Funneling the money through the foundation might be a way to avoid paying tax on it, from what I understand. The foundation has also used it's funds on less-than-charitable purchases, like portraits of Trump.

I do recall something along those lines in which Trump suggested people simply pay the Foundation instead of him, but somehow didn't make this connection to its fullest....

That's pretty huge, and really, really shady if it's true to a broader extent.

Zach

Why is that anyone's problem but Trump and his people's? It's not anyone else's fault that they weren't doing things correctly. What happened to personal responsibility?

pigeon

Banned

They can certainly try. He has been in violation for 15 years, though, so it's possible a judge would just say "well have you tried not being a criminal?"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

See, any reasonable organization has these financial records already filed. They are supposed to have these ready.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
See, any reasonable organization has these financial records already filed. They are supposed to have these ready.

Pretty much. They should have been doing this once a year, and submitting it to the state, since they began collecting money from people other than Trump himself. But they didn't, which is a large part of the problem.

What are the possible ramifications if shady shit is found?

giphy.gif

If he can't get the paperwork, he should have been doing for 15 years anyway, in 15 days, how is that anyone's problem but his?

Man, by the end of this Trump and his family are probably going to wish he never even *thought* about running for President.

I definitely think if Trump loses he'll probably be heading for that Snake Eyes ending with Nicolas Cage running away from the cameras all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom