• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Hotels abandoning "Trump" name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Amidst reports that occupancy rates at Trump Hotels have slipped this election season, the company has announced that new brand hotels will no longer bear the Trump name.

The newest line of luxury hotels, geared towards millennials, will be called Scion, the company said.

“We wanted a name that would be a nod to the Trump family and to the tremendous success it has had with its businesses, including Trump Hotels, while allowing for a clear distinction between our luxury and lifestyle brands,” Trump Hotels CEO Eric Danziger said in a statement.

Although Trump Hotels has said the new name has nothing to do with the eponymous businessman’s presidential campaign, empty rooms at the hotels have caused officials “to reduce rates during the peak season," according to New York Magazine.

Nightly rates at the newly-opened Trump International Hotel in D.C. plummeted below $500 while practically every other five-star property was sold out for the International Monetary Fund conference two weeks ago. And after his remarks about Mexican immigrants, two celebrity chefs backed out of their contracts to open a restaurant in the hotel.

According to Hipmunk, bookings at Trump Hotels plummeted 59 percent during the first half of 2016 and data from Foursquare shows a 17 percent drop in foot traffic at Trump properties since June 2015, when the reality TV star announced his presidential bid.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels-resorts/trump-scion-hotels

the-grinch-grin.gif

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I love it, this is just going to piss off Trump so much.

He really has just dragged his name through shit this election.

Debirudog

The only thing that made Trump worth a shit was his name.

Now it's nothing but a toxic brand that would kill his career for good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not surprising. I have no doubt all the shit in the race for the white house has been incredibly damaging to his brand overall. Anyone who isn't insane doesn't want to do business with him and the crowd he has left isn't anywhere near the type of person he used to go after.

Statement just screams, 'We can't really tell Trump to flat out fuck off since he still has a legal stake here and all, but yeah, we're basically not putting that toxic shit over our door anymore.'

LQX

Not surprised. The Trump name is done. Now more associated with sexism, racism, and idiocy than it is wealth or luxury.

They shouldn't have made a press release. Now people will avoid Scion.

They probably are required to do so. Trump doesn't directly run these places, but I believe he still has some degree of stake in them, so re-branding like that probably required some kind of stipulation that they have to give a statement that, they promise, it has nothing to do with Trump being exposed as human sewage or anything like that.

ghostjoke

Banned
Trump's campaign is sounding more and more like a modern day version of "when you play the game of thrones, you win or you die (ruin your business/brand)".

"luxury hotels, geared towards millennials". Yeah, I couldn't get through that without laughing.

The best thing that can happen post election is that he becomes so toxic that companies/people wouldn't want to be associated with him at all, something along the lines what W did to the bush name. Hopefully this will sink his empire into bankruptcy.
I don't think even a news network will save him.

And he deserves all of it. When you play the game of thrones, you either win or you die.

Edit: Dammit ghostjoke, that was my line.

Madness

Yup. He has killed off his brand. Ivanka would be smart to transition to a different company, etc. Still crazy when I used to watch Home Alone 2 and see Donald Trump or his cameo in Fresh Prince and think he was this wicked businessman etc. Trump towers, Trump hotels etc. All went to shit. No one cares about him, his brand anymore. And for what? Birther conspiracies that were false, running a horrendous campaign that has dragged American politics and political discourse through the mud etc.

Fox Mulder

What a dumb fuck.

Built his brand on his name, which is now tarnished for the people that can actually afford his shit.

Yup. He has killed off his brand. Ivanka would be smart to transition to a different company, etc. Still crazy when I used to watch Home Alone 2 and see Donald Trump or his cameo in Fresh Prince and think he was this wicked businessman etc. Trump towers, Trump hotels etc. All went to shit. No one cares about him, his brand anymore. And for what? Birther conspiracies that were false, running a horrendous campaign that has dragged American politics and political discourse through the mud etc.

Because he just had to get back at Obama and Seth Meyers for roasting him. Or so the legend will go.

My god, nothing and I mean nothing so far this election will annoy Trump more.

Hell losing the election will probably mean less to him.

Pity it appears to be only new hotels going forward.

Removing Trump from existing hotels would probably make Trump cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom