• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Hotels abandoning "Trump" name

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSlek

Maximum schadenfreude!

1nKMvTa.gif

tirminyl

Yup. He has killed off his brand. Ivanka would be smart to transition to a different company, etc. Still crazy when I used to watch Home Alone 2 and see Donald Trump or his cameo in Fresh Prince and think he was this wicked businessman etc. Trump towers, Trump hotels etc. All went to shit. No one cares about him, his brand anymore. And for what? Birther conspiracies that were false, running a horrendous campaign that has dragged American politics and political discourse through the mud etc.

Women have already started boycotting Ivanka's businesses and stores that carry her products.

Salarians

Naming their "luxury hotels, geared towards millennials" after a dead car brand aimed at millennials. You can't make this shit up.

Malyse

Naming their "luxury hotels, geared towards millennials" after a dead car brand aimed at millennials. You can't make this shit up.

You know scion is an actual word, right?

scion ‎(plural scions)

1. A descendant, especially a first-generation descendant.
2. A detached shoot or twig containing buds from a woody plant, used in grafting; a shoot or twig in a general sense.
3. The heir to a throne.
4. A guardian.

Ominym

Banned
He'll still be making money off them? Same shit different toilet. Those things need to change hands altogether tbh.
That's the thing about Trump though, he doesn't want to quietly profit. He's the guy that slapped his last name on massive buildings because he wanted everyone to know who he was. Taking that away from him is a massive hit to his ego regardless of growing wealth. Picture Trump in an interview having to say "well the Scion brand, which I own, just in case you forgot, I own it, is wonderful and would be even better with a slight name change."

Hit him in his wallet and he manages. Hit him in his ego and he seethes.

KRod-57

Banned

Malyse

More accurately they announced last September that they were launching a new hotel brand. However, they are not removing his name from their hotels

http://www.snopes.com/trump-removes-name-from-hotels/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

If you have a twitter, I suggest everyone follow snopes' account
So they are abandoning the Trump name? Cause it sounds like they are abandoning the Trump name.
Amidst reports that occupancy rates at Trump Hotels have slipped this election season, the company has announced that new brand hotels will no longer bear the Trump name.
Literally nowhere in the OP does it imply that they are removing the name, so I don't know why you're quoting me.

KRod-57

Banned
So they are abandoning the Trump name? Cause it sounds like they are abandoning the Trump name.

Not quite, they're still using the Trump brand on top of using the new brand "Scion" which means “descendant of a notable family”

You could speculate that they decided to launch the new brand in response to the negative connotations associated to his name, however the new brand is not replacing his old brand, that is to say, they are not changing ("abandoning") the name of the already existing "Trump" brands

kirby_fox

Banned
I wonder how cheap they would sell you a room per night with how awful things have been going for them.

I think it'd be a bigger insult to Trump if you were able to negotiate a room at a Trump Hotel for $20 a night than it would be if you didn't go there at all.

Gallbaro

Banned
The Trump brand has changed, from the allusion of luxury to now representing a much larger and profitable segment, racist white people.

joebruin

What’s in a Name? When It’s ‘Trump Place,’ It’s a Revolt

At three large rental buildings emblazoned with gold letters spelling out T-R-U-M-P P-L-A-C-E on the Upper West Side, the lobby rain mats embossed with the same name are being replaced, tenants say. The new versions, they have been told, will proclaim the buildings’ addresses, 140, 160 or 180 Riverside Boulevard.

At the same buildings, they say, the doormen and concierges have been measured for new uniforms that will no longer carry the Trump name.

Zubz

Banned
I was going to say I plan on avoiding the new hotels like a plague, but then I remembered they're still luxury hotels so they were never getting my business anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom