• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump plans to focus on infrastructure, starting with privatizing air traffic control

Tovarisc

Trump plans week-long focus on infrastructure, starting with privatizing air traffic control
President Trump will seek to put a spotlight on his vows to privatize the nation's air traffic control system and spur $1 trillion in new investment in roads, waterways and other infrastructure with a week-long series of events starting Monday in the Rose Garden.

The events — billed as ”infrastructure week" — are part of a stepped-up effort since the president's return a week ago from his first foreign trip to show that the White House remains focused on its agenda, despite cascading headlines about his administration's ties to Russia.

Trump's plans next week also include a trip to the Ohio River, where it separates Ohio and Kentucky, to talk about the importance of waterways and to lay out his vision of infrastructure investments more broadly, aides say. And before the weekend, he will also welcome a bipartisan group of mayors and governors to Washington to discuss the topic and venture to the Transportation Department to talk about roads and railways.

”In many of these areas, we're falling behind, and the falling behind is affecting economic growth in the United States," said Gary Cohn, Trump's chief economic adviser, who is helping lead a task force developing Trump's infrastructure plan. ”The president wants to fix the problem."

The flurry of planned activity comes as two other marquee Trump promises — overhauling the Affordable Care Act and cutting taxes — remain stalled in Congress, largely because of differences among fellow Republicans and the intricacies of the plans.

It's unclear whether Trump's promised infrastructure package, for which the administration hopes to attract bipartisan support, will fare any better when formally introduced in coming months.
Trump has proposed spending $200 billion over the 10-year period with the aim of attracting a total of at least $1 trillion in new investments with the help of the private sector and state and local governments. Democrats prefer a much larger infusion of federal money.

In a briefing for reporters, Trump administration officials acknowledged the timing of their infrastructure package remains up in the air but said they hope to move much more quickly on one piece of it: an effort to spin off control of day-to-day air traffic control functions from the federal government.

Trump has invited executives from the major airlines to join him in the Rose Garden on Monday as he touts a plan that aides argue would allow more rapid modernization of the air traffic control system if run by a nonprofit corporation rather than by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Aides say Trump's proposal, which will be sent to Congress separately, is largely based on legislation authored last year by Rep. Bill Shuster (R-Penn.), chairman of the House Transportation Committee. The White House previously called his bill ”an excellent starting point" for separating more than 30,000 FAA workers from the government.

Instead of current taxes on fuel and airline tickets, Shuster's plan would rely on fees paid by aircraft operators. The FAA would retain its role as an oversight agency, much like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which issues auto regulations and recalls faulty vehicles.

Although Shuster's bill emerged from his committee last year, it never got a vote on the House floor. In the Senate, reaction was lukewarm among some key Republicans.
A recent White House budget document points out that dozens of other nations have moved in a similar direction.

The document highlights Canada as an example of a country that successfully privatized its air management responsibilities two decades ago, a move that has resulted in new infrastructure investments and ”cutting-edge air traffic technology."

If a new U.S. corporation were to develop its own technologies, it could potentially sell its services to other countries, the document says.

The White House's broader vision for infrastructure relies heavily on the private sector. Administration officials, for example, have floated the idea of selling roads and airports to private investors, which would in turn could free up funds for new projects.

Trump's initiative is also expected to try to foster more public-private partnerships, including toll roads that would allow private investors to recoup their upfront spending.

In the briefing for reporters, Cohn also stressed the White House's desire to streamline the government permitting process for new highways and other infrastructure, a prospect that has concerned environmental advocates, among others.

For highways, permitting now takes about 10 years, Cohn said, adding that the White House would like to see that reduced to two years or less.

”Time is money," Cohn said. ”The cost of infrastructure goes up dramatically as time goes on in the approval process."
Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1bb629f64cb_story.html?utm_term=.567bf9b373d2

Edit:

National Air Traffic Controllers Association President NATCA President Paul Rinaldi, in Feb. 10 testimony to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, outlined his organization's support for the air traffic control reform proposal, which is contained in a pending FAA reauthorization bill (H.R. 4441). The measure would shift responsibility for air traffic control out of the federal space and move it over a three-year period into a nonprofit entity created for that purpose.
and more at https://federalsoup.com/articles/20...ization-plan-rticle.aspx?admgarea=TC_ExecTech

Thanks Gallbaro

Magwik

Banned
The White House’s broader vision for infrastructure relies heavily on the private sector. Administration officials, for example, have floated the idea of selling roads and airports to private investors
Fuck no

Nerdkiller

Membeur
40322.gif

Xe4

Banned
Privatizing ATC is one of the worst ideas I've heard from the Trump admin.

And that's saying a lot.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Safety and profit are ALWAYS at odds. Making stuff more safe always costs more and lowers profits.

This man may be the dumbest politician ever.

Figured a republican infrastructure plan would include selling off critical services to private companies.

All Republicans are trash.

As someone who's seen (in Ontario Canada) what selling roads to private corporations does, every month in my bills, avoid it and protest it.

As someone who watches a lot of Mayday on the discovery channel, do NOT allow the privatization of ATC at all costs. A for-profit model will only harm air travel in every conceivable way. Get to the streets and call all of your senators and congressmen. Immediately!!

PS our airports are expensive to fly out for a lot of reasons, and I'm pretty sure privatized ATC is one of them.

I'm down for more infrastructure spending (it was getting depressing how little it seemed to be discussed).

Of course, I'm highly skeptical about how they'll handle privatisation. I wasn't aware Canada had done this with air traffic control through, and I'm not very experienced in our infrastructure (might be a good time to do some research, any good links?)

bebop242

Why is it a wet dream to privatize everything?

"Well I can take north ave to work and pay $10 or I can take the side roads for $8".

Korigama

It's astonishing how I keep thinking that dented traffic cone couldn't be any stupider, and yet he keeps finding new ways to prove otherwise...

"Well I can take north ave to work and pay $10 or I can take the side roads for $8".

Blatant overzealous faith in the free market.
The market will balance itself. Knows what's best. And so on.

It's being way too faithful in an ideology. It's just as destructive as bad faith in religion.

So that politicians can get more opportunities to be bought off when everything becomes for sale. Does this x company wants this airport? How much are they willing to pay? Sold. No regard to the consequences or the safety of the people. It's just a money making machine. It's how the GOP in general operate. Drain down the government for their own benefits. Where do you think "Fuck you I get my own" came from?

theWB27

Nah... you can't drive your car on this road because your car is older than 5 years. You'll need to pay a 1000 inspection fee to this company that's owned by the same company that owns this road. They won't allow you to get the inspection at the other company that charges 150 because their standards arent where we want them despite them being a higher rated company.

Tagg9

Christ, way to double down on capitalism. Certain public services have to remain in control of a non-biased governmental body, and air traffic control is definitely one of them.

I'm guessing a lot of poor areas if the country are going to start getting way worse quality roads in the future, or worse:

"You got some nice roads here, it'd be a shame if something BAD happened to 'em."

Hexa

I totally did not know that Canada's ATS was a private corporation. If it stays non-profit, it may well be a good idea. It looks like a lot of other countries also have ATS structured as companies instead of government agencies, even if they are owned by the government. So I think there's a good amount of merit to this.
The toll road garbage sounds awful.

Dierce

People should realize that even if you agree with infrastructure programs, the only reason orange turd is in favor of them is to funnel money out to private contractors in the same fashion the military does.

That turd is pure corruption and nothing he says should be taken without an ulterior motive.

How the fuck can you make money off Air Traffic Control?

President fucking Idiot

The government will still fund it except tax payer money now goes to a private company who will pocket the bulk of the money and use the cheapest materials, personnel etc. Its a complete scam and theft of tax payer money like private prisons.

Tovarisc

Pop-up ads on the radar displays.

Actually part of privatizing would be moving away from radar based systems and into GPS.

For months now, Cohn has been making presentations to interested parties, arguing the benefits of moving to a new GPS-based system for flights rather than the current land-based radar system. Among other things, he says, GPS will help pilots fly more direct routes, cutting down both flight times and fuel usage.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1bb629f64cb_story.html?utm_term=.567bf9b373d2

So lemme get this straight, we just had a bunch of Russian spies go dark and get found scouting US infrastructure, and Trump says he wants to focus on infrastructure.

blackflag

Oh infrastructure spending was the only good idea I thought he had.....turns out he just wants to privatize everything and that this is a horrible idea too.

It's scary because the Republican plan for privatizing things is to intentionally let the publicly funded ones fail, to provide a better argument for privatization. So this is actually an anti-infrastructure plan, all so one day you'll be forced to pay $20 to drive to work.

Volimar

Saw the title and figured our infrastructure is in desperate need of attention, he can't possibly screw this up. I should know better.

"This landing at JFK Airport is brought to you by HP, the ONLY laptop brand approved for carry-on on all US domestic flights. HP. Work smarter."

Gallbaro

Banned
The government has been incredibly ineffective at rolling out a new ATC program for over a decade now.

If I recall even the ATC Union want to go private.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Actually part of privatizing would be moving away from radar based systems and into GPS.

So you could only see a plane if all of its systems were working properly? What could go wrong?

Also, smuggling just got way easier.

teiresias

Top Bottom