• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump plans withdrawal from South Korea trade deal.

Madness

China already is SK's largest trading partner, tho, and by a significant margin.

Not that they won't love this, of course.

Exactly my point, in the grand scheme of things and world history,south koreans will ask, why are we putting THAAD which is angering China our largest neighbor, why are we being threatened with losing military support and now this free trade deal which also would have opened SK up to American companies even more is being threatened by being cancelled, let's wash our handa with the US. We'll go our own way, try to contain NK ourselves,stick to Asia for future growth and economic opportunities.

My point being that everything Trump has done is jsut hasten the end lf US diplomatic, economic and military power throughout the world. Tougher on allies and disrespectful to them than he is on Russia and Saudi Arabia. Canada, Australia, Germany,France, Mexico, Sweden, now SK.

Right now, China was wanting to enlarge the BRIC group to start getting countries like Mexico in. This is solely because they know Mexicans furious at the US with this wall, NAFTA measures.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly think he says shit like this for it to get into the news cycle for a few days, then walk it back to make himself seem smart to his user base. He can go to his lame ass rally's and say totally made up lies like "See, they wanted to do this and I said no". His supporters aren't reading the news to see that he was the one that actually started it. All he cares about is the last part of the news cycle because that's what people remember.

Condom

Ok so wait what? It's like he is giving China and Europe a chance to score in an open goal.

Pushing for a war they don't want and then wanting to pull out of trade deals. Yeah. I'm sure that will make SK think of you as a reliable partner. And SK is among the easiest partners to have for the US.

gdt

This idiot is leaving everything wide open for China.

Isolationism finished in the 40's goddamit.

I think every deal needs to have this man's signature or name attached to be safe. Every treaty or alliance be damned

I am sure he would rewrite the Constitution if he could

What the fuck, dude?? What is this fucking idiot thinking? "(((globalist)))" bullshit, that pathetic brainless worm.

God, we're in hell.

Hex

Banned
It seriously brings me down at how such incompetence is shown on a daily basis, so many shady acts, bad decisions...and Trump has not even reached the Hold my beer stage yet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well I guess handing over all of South Korea's diplomatic relations to China is one way to lower tensions on the peninsula.

Maybe he'll pull the US military out of Japan next.

Can someone ELI5 how this would impact companies like Samsung who have a strong commercial presence in the US (phones to air conditioners to washing machines etc). Is it as simple as A. we don't get their stuff here or B. we do but they cost X more?

Congrats to the dumb idiots that voted this guy in.

FTFY

Jenov

What would be the point in doing that? Or is this one those stupid Trump strategies to get S.K to renegotiate better terms through threats?

chekhonte

When he puts together that the microwave Obama used to spy on him is an LG and made in Korea, he's going to launch the nukes.

Xtyle

When you are asking why is he doing? What if he is intentionally trying to fuck up the U.S by doing these fuck up things domestically and with foreign nations? Maybe this is want papa Putin wants and he is just fulfilling his wishes. This motherfucker needs to go, seriously.

sangreal

When you are asking why is he doing? What if he is intentionally trying to fuck up the U.S by doing these fuck up things domestically and with foreign nations? Maybe this is want papa Putin wants and he is just fulfilling his wishes. This motherfucker needs to go, seriously.

I'm sure its a grand conspiracy and not just an idiot with too much power who doesn't understand how trade and diplomacy work trying to appeal to his base of idiots stuck in the past

They should let him do it. It is perhaps the only way this scourge of jackass populist economics can be pushed back on the right and left. Do the same with NAFTA too.

Let's not shove this thread to hell with cringe posts, guys.

Even Obama flip flopped hard on the KORUS FTA.

Ford and the UAW flip flopped.

Democrats back then were expected to fight the FTA too.

This thing has a garbled history to it.

Wiser move would be to put off any talk of changes to the FTA until NK at least cools down or gets nuked.

US beef will be humbled if the FTA dies, which will be good for Americans.

phaze

Good, US trade deficit in goods doubled in space of 5 years, SK were the ones benefiting from this, not very surprising given their mercantilist mindset.

Top Bottom