• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump plans withdrawal from South Korea trade deal.

Pesmerga00

It's like his only goal in his presidency, is to remove anything that is even remotely beneficial to poor, and or minorities.

It's like his only goal in his presidency, is to remove anything that is even remotely beneficial to poor, and or minorities.

This is SK, where you can collapse a company 50billion dollars in debt (Daewoo) and get amnesty from president, but go to jail for leaking a negative report about Samsung.
SK is a republicans dream

"That's XCOM, baby!"

I'll let myself out.

"It is unfortunate that your recent efforts have failed to adequately address the extraterrestrial threat, Commander. While we acknowledge the fact that is an ambitious project, unless there is a vast improvement in your leadership, there may be no reason for us to continue our support."

This is SK, where you can collapse a company 50billion dollars in debt (Daewoo) and get amnesty from president, but go to jail for leaking a negative report about Samsung.

+ KPOP.

I'm pretty sure Trump was a fan of Girls Generation before that one member left.

Boss Mog

taeyeon.gif

South Korea is gonna come repo your Hyundais.

Seriously though, this is really dumb, especially with the current North Korea situation. Not to mention that this will hurt US businesses currently doing well in Korea such as Apple. I read that Cadillac sales received a sales boost there recently too. Tesla has potential to do well there in the future too; there's no need to fuck things up like this.

Pesmerga00

If I'm understanding you right, this is bullshit. People reporting the truth should not be punished.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This is a really bad time to reconsider the FTA with South Korea.

Good luck pissing off all your allies.

Buckle

Thats the shit that scares me about America.

Feels like we're not too far off where we have an insane weird/sense of normal. Well, even more than we already do sadly.

All the horrible shit the Trump administration does is becoming the norm and people stop realizing they're living in a madhouse and just accept it as business as usually.

That sort of complacency is my greatest fear and I imagine a republican's wet dream when they look at what somebody like Putin gets away with.

Perhaps he will try to use the cancelled trade deal as leverage for SK to stop providing aid to NK, which we all know they use to fund their nuclear program. Or incentivize more proactive support against NK by China. There is also a Russian angle there too but there's no way to tell.

McLovin

I had my suspicions as of late. This dude is full on R word? There's no way he doesn't have some sort of mental handicap.

iamblades

$27.5 billion trade deficit with them last year.

That has to change.

Why?

If I want to buy a Korean phone or car or TV why is that any business of the government?

That said free trade agreements are a stupid idea that lead to all kinds of corruption and rent seeking behavior. We should just eliminate all tariffs and import restrictions unilaterally.

Ploid 3.0

Does he understand that there are TWO koreas?

I wouldn't even be surprised if he didn't, well before someone told him right after mentioning how huge his rally crowd size was, in the same breath.

"President Trump your last rally turnout was unbelievable, South Korea is not a part of North Korea. Terrific crowd size!"

numble

If you thought people got mad about Avocados, just wait till you try to jack up the price of their cell phones.

Yeah well, unless you want there to be ONLY Apple and whatever Google wants to run its botnets through, I suggest you do the same. :p

Samsung is just the biggest one I could think of off the top of my head. Most cheap phones also come from South Korea, including the 30 dollar starter phone sorta things. The competition at the bleeding edge forced Apple's phones to get better, enforces Google's inability to gain a foothold without dramatic differences in price or performance per dollar at the least, and is the major reason for the propagation of smart phones in the US.

The spice must flow.

The US tariff rate for cell phones is 0 unless it comes from somewhere like Cuba or North Korea. That's why many Samsung phones are actually "Made in China" as their country of origin. They do not get any benefit from an FTA.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, let's pretend Trump somehow is making the right call for the sake of argument. What benefits would ending this trade deal give the United States?

He wanted know why we couldn't or shouldn't use nukes or whatever....WTF!

Can we just add a more than 30% approval rule, so you failed, flunked, shit the bed. The world is going to go up in flames because 30% of the country wanted Biff for president, who the fuck let him get the Almanac.....DAMN.....

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My trade deficit with the grocery store was huge last year. Big problems! I will fix that this year
*dies of starvation*

it's almost as if we get things in return by engaging in trade and it's not some zero sum game you are trying to "win"

phaze

Be that as it may, a return to NX would require the entire world's agreement and, as free trade, WITH deficits in tow, is still a net positive for countries who run trade deficits in our current economic models

Economic models are just that, models that don't necessarily reflect the reality as the crisis shows and I could easily show you publications that show that deficits matter.
For instance, the attempt by the Hoover administration to return to a balance of trade only worsened the Great Depression, and subsequent attempts to do so have caused the bottom to fall out of domestic and international markets both.

And ? If we're talking about historical examples than it needs to be said that Britain, US, Germany, Japan, SK all clawed their way to their positions in world economy through heavy protectionism.

Like it or not, the cat is out of the bag.

Only if we accept that we can't catch it again.

Because then we can move onto Hicks, whose compensation test is one of the larger reasons free trade came about once more and has since stayed -- so using my phone example, we run a trade deficit with South Korea, primarily because phones and other media devices, electronics... and those devices lead to savings elsewhere for Americans
Unless you lost your job due to said trade deficit and now can afford none of those.

Similarly so for automobiles. We have more than one factory pumping out cars in the US that wasn't there before the trade deal and wouldn't pump out as many cars even if it were, before the trade deal, that brings more jobs over -- losing them in textiles but gaining them in manufacturing.

The US trade deficit doubled in space of 5 years,clearly whatever SK companies are producing now in US is a drop in the ocean compared to how their exports rose.

What Keynes claims may well have been good assuming we had an otherwise closed mercantile economy with only one other actor within it, with easily chartable and consistent returns, but our world does not act like that.

This is not to besmirch Keynes, but Keynes has been wrong. I could almost guarantee you that if he were alive today, he would lean further toward free trade, as the global economy of today is dramatically different than 100 years ago.
I'm sorry but you can have no idea what Keynes would or wouldn't do, especially since his late life ideas of avoiding of trade deficits run completely contrary to what you preach.

Those positive effects are more subtle in economies with trade deficits, and the negatives you see are primarily due to automation and poor business dealing than trade itself.

Keynes and Hicks may well have had brighter minds than my own, but there is a reason we discount out of hand the notion that stopping free trade would be good for anyone involved.

Who does ? Not Japanese, South Koreans or Chinese where a mercantilist mindset is widespread and favourable balance of trade is something to (desparetely) strive for.

Top Bottom