• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he wants a massive military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4

DrSlek

Isn't the Bastille day parade more ceremonial military than...."fighting" military.

I'm no soldier expert though so someone feel free to correct me

The majority of those on parade are real fighting soldiers, but there's also ceremonial units mixed in too like the Foreign Legion Sappers and the Paris Fire Brigade (they're in the parade because they're technically part of the Army).

You think with all the rape, genocide and horrors going on due to Frances miliary action in Libya, a fucking parade would be last thing anyone would want to emulate

France fucked up bad, and its army ran away as soon as they overthrew the goverment.

g11

I'm fine with it. It's unnecessary but the idea of it doesn't instantly make me cringe like it does to apparently a lot of people here. One of my favorite things each summer growing up would be to go to air shows with my Dad and sister and what is an air show but an aerial military parade?

Ogodei

Yeah, that's what I remember. Something about the roads not being able to withstand it.

I mean hey, if Trump wants to authorize the billion plus DC's dilapidated infrastructure needs and forces it through congress, i'd be all for it. You just tell him his parade would crush the yellow and red lines and boom, we can finally drag Metro out of the 70s.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wouldn't that cause a ton of damage to the streets? They weren't made for giant tanks rolling down them.

Of course Trump would want one. He's an insecure little fuck, and I feel like parades like these showing off your military might is more about projecting power than having power.

His dumb as shit supporters are also suckers for chicken hawk shit like this.

Cartman86

Banned
Trump just got more money than he asked for in increasing the Pentagons budget and money for operations in overseas wars.

Guess how many senators voted no? 7. Pretty good representation of right and left in those 7 too. Good luck with the resistance. It may feel gross and icky to see this shit marching down the street, but we are marching it down our neighbors streets without a second thought. At least the politicians we keep voting in on both sides of the isle don't seem to give it a second thought.

FyreWulff

I'm fine with it. It's unnecessary but the idea of it doesn't instantly make me cringe like it does to apparently a lot of people here. One of my favorite things each summer growing up would be to go to air shows with my Dad and sister and what is an air show but an aerial military parade?

You specifically choose to go to an airshow?

Also, massive military parades reeks of insecurity and chest thumping. It's also poor form to march our military in the same place all the other countries have their embassies.

UberTag

Trump's been clamouring for a military parade for ages now.
If he ever drops a nuke or triggers a war, the parade with him at the center riding a float waving to the masses while ticker tape falls overhead is his primary objective.

Shadybiz

Wouldn't that cause a ton of damage to the streets? They weren't made for giant tanks rolling down them.

Exactly. He's done this bit before, sometime near the Inauguration. Has already been told that it can't be done, due to the weight of the tanks. Now, I guess that doesn't mean that he couldn't do it sans tanks, but he can't do it in the original fashion he wanted it in.

Wulfric

Are D.C road even built to withstand tanks? Nevermind how gross that image is, the whole shebang would die a bureaucratic death in the Pentagon. Literally no one wants this.

Shauni

He wanted this for his inauguration, too, but it was basically axed because of cost and transport issues. Probably be the same here, too

We don't exactly keep a lot of tanks and military equipment besides planes near DC do we?

Our military bases are thousands of miles away... We can't make a full military showing without huge huge costs.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Yeah, a fully-loaded 18-wheeler causes 10,000 times more wear on a road than a car and it has rubber tires. A tank must really fuck it up.

Joezie

We don't exactly keep a lot of tanks and military equipment besides planes near DC do we?

Our military bases are thousands of miles away... We can't make a full military showing without huge huge costs.

Expensive most certainly. On the Military side of things, while DC itself is smaller in terms of traditional ground forces, the Army alone has quite a few installations nearby in Virginia alongside a few in Maryland and the USMC isn't much farther away in the Carolinas.

But it doesn't change the fact that a military parade in D.C. is a dumb idea and I don't know a single Military member that likes the idea of parades.

FyreWulff

I live down the goddamn street (in relative terms) from a military base for almost the entire 30-something years of my life.

I have literally never seen a military parade come through here, nor have I even randomly seen a military vehicle out and about.

Not

Banned
Oh god, white people, are you satisfied yet, he's a fucking literal fucking spoiled child

The concept of melanin should be taught in kindergarten. Maybe some people wouldn't revert to their five year old ways over a black President.

I'm trying to picture Kelly, Mathis and McMaster juggling the balkanization of Syria, a nuclear-armed North Korea, Russia putting pressure on US allied border states and the failing government of Afghanistan... and then being told by their Commander in Chief to get on this parade thing.

They must have the best poker faces.

ScribbleD

I feel like criticism of Trump's fascism has fallen by the wayside a bit in recent months so let this serve as a reminder that on top of all of the other vile things he is, he also comports himself as a fascist and he is trying to normalise that ideology.

Joni

My country does it every year. People enjoy it. It is not even the top ten worst thing he will ask for today.

Top Bottom