• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he wants a massive military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4

mavo

Banned
I dont understand the animosity to this (i mean i do since is Trump) but im sure there are lots of countries that do military parades without the dictatorship.

FyreWulff

An Abrams weighs 62 tons.

Focused into the profile of a large SUV.

The vast majority of bridges in the United States cannot handle a parade of Abrams crossing over them.

Sinfamy

I dont understand the animosity to this (i mean i do since is Trump) but im sure there are lots of countries that do military parades without the dictatorship.
Literally this.
I like how people are comparing it to NK now, did they not read the OP about France?
My home country of Romania does a military parade every December.
This is not fascist, Jesus Christ, there are a million other things to worry about.

Doikor

My country does it every year. People enjoy it. It is not even the top ten worst thing he will ask for today.

Same here in Finland. Every independence day the military throws a parade. Also on the defence forces flag day they have another parade. So 2 parades every year. They aren't that massive though. The whole thing last around 30 minutes.

Personally don't really see anything wrong with this.

Alx

As a French I can't really blame him for the idea. :p People love those parades over here, and without them you wouldn't have much opportunity to see the army (well, maybe not at the moment with the counter-terrorist patrols everywhere, but generally speaking), while it's the major part of the country's budget.
Granted, French institutions always had deep roots with the military (see Bonaparte & De Gaulle), which may not be true for all countries. Also it may not send the right message to add some military flavor to a celebration that didn't have that originally. Maybe it would be more appropriate for another day ?

FyreWulff

As a French I can't really blame him for the idea. :p People love those parades over here, and without them you wouldn't have much opportunity to see the army (well, maybe not at the moment with the counter-terrorist patrols everywhere, but generally speaking), while it's the major part of the country's budget.
Granted, French institutions always had deep roots with the military (see Bonaparte & De Gaulle), which may not be true for all countries. Also it may not send the right message to add some military flavor to a celebration that didn't have that originally. Maybe it would be more appropriate for another day ?

What some of the European area posters are missing here is the United States doesn't have the military doing general every day security presence. We're historically not fans of the military being heavily present in civilian areas, which is rooted in the Third Amendment.

There's heavy contextual reasons why military parades are more accepted in countries that historically have had about five billion wars and are on Russia's doorstep, versus a country that has gone away from them for both practicality reasons, and the fact that we don't need to do it in the first place.

Doikor

What some of the European area posters are missing here is the United States doesn't have the military doing general every day security presence. We're historically not fans of the military being heavily present in civilian areas, which is rooted in the Third Amendment.

There's heavy contextual reasons why military parades are more accepted in countries that historically have had about five billion wars and are on Russia's doorstep, versus a country that has gone away from them for both practicality reasons, and the fact that we don't need to do it in the first place.

Um. Military doesn't really have much of a daily security presence here in Finland last I checked. They help train the police special forces and lend equipment/man power when asked by the police/some other authority (and they will be under the command of whoever requested them in that case). I think the only times I've seen military around in civil life is a) soldiers going to/from vacations b) military vehicles/personnels going to/from/during trainings (they use public roads for transport) c) when asked for assistance by some civil authority (think stuff like helping with forest fires, looking for some elderly demented person who got lost in forest or something).

And in most of those cases they don't have live ammo with them even if they have the rifle around for training purposes (ammo is hold/stored by some officer who is responsible for what is going on). Of course there is the military police with live ammo in the weapon at the gate of the military base etc.

Literally the military forces we have exists for one purpose only which is guarding the country against foreign military threats. Everything else is under some different organisation (police or border control)

Oriel

For all of America's bombastic, gung-ho militarism I'm kind of surprised this wasn't a thing already. Military parades are fairly common in Europe.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
As a french dude, hearing about Trump getting a boner thinking of getting his own military parade like we do on July 14th cements the idea that we should get rid of it.

StarVigil

Code:
[img]http://ffc.rpgclassics.com/misc/shinraparade.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jBzJ6OaAN3M/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

Ambient80

Ill be honest I was surprised we didn’t have a big military show this past July 4. I figured he would have made a big deal out of it, being it was his first (and hopefully last) July 4 in office.

Joni

What's your country?

Belgium. It is not the biggest military, but we still send examples of all the material we have, from personnel to tanks. And we do plane flyovers.

_DSC0146.JPG

Wvrs

I was in Paris last year for Bastille Day, and the military parade is something else. Very cool to watch.

Doikor

DC's roads are not built for that shit. It might actually break parts of the city.

You can drive tanks on normal roads without destroying them just fine. Just find a nice straight bit of road and offload the tanks from flatbeds on one end. Load them up in the other. Turning is the only thing that really deals any damage to road surfaces from tanks as tanks turn by breaking the inner side which can cause some slipping. You don't need to drive 100 tanks through just a couple per model to showcase the very cool hardware your tax dollars paid for.

(the actual pressure per square inch to road surfaces is less then normal cars as the tracks have a massive surface area compared to wheels)

I mean I've heard you Americans have flyovers by the airforce for sport events. This literally isn't any different. Just having all branches of the military join in.

For example a clip from the independence day parade when it was in my city of Jyväskylä back in 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dhVe7IHi4 (please excuse the swastika at ~1:15. the air force used it before the nazi party even existed and are stubborn to want to change it. They stopped using it for everything else except the airforce general staff flag a long time ago). Basically you get a ~30 guys from each branch to march through, a couple examples of each vehicle model and a flyover and be done with it. (point being you can do a military parade in styles other then full on north korea)

SteveWD40

IIRC, he said something similar during the campaign.

Yep, he has said this before. It appeals to his massive need to overcompensate for his tiny hands
penis
. All those square jawed soldiers and giant missiles and they are all subservient to him... he will probably orgasm.

vewn

I don't really get the hate for this idea.
Americans have jets flying over their football stadiums to celebrate their country, even small and barely militarized countries have military parades.

tbm24

I can't imagine they'd actually let Trump do this. If for whatever reason they did, the protest to counter it would be substantial. Fully expect some to get in the way of it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I don't see a problem with this. For July 4th, it makes a lot of sense as well. I wouldn't be surprised though if it still didn't happen. It's September and a little under 10 months away already, plenty of time to forget.

Saganator

If they have a parade, it would be great if at the end of the parade, the military turns around and forcibly removes Trump and his admin from office.

diehard

Fleer
These parades have usually been a way to demonstrate military power. How do you possibly demonstrate the military power of the U.S. in a parade? Have it take 12 hours? Show pictures of aircraft carriers? Just have him go visit the U.S.S Gerald Ford and have a photo op (edit: i forgot this already happened).

Top Bottom